Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Disection

Options
  • 15-06-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

So how did the History Paper Go. Got 4 Questions Done . looking for a C2 so quietly confindent. Wasnt happy with the choice in section D . But everything else seemed okay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

i gave a mate a few tips from this board, what came up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

That paper was terrible I thought. Especially part B & part C. No Bismarck or France in part C? When either topic has come up every year since the course started? If you'd concentrated on Russia and the Eastern Question, I'm sure it would have been fine. But it was very harsh considering the neither France, nor Germany, nor some kind of combination of social/political/church issues in europe has come up. Great Britain isn't covered in enough detail in most textbooks to be warranted in coming up in my opinion. International Relations was a good question, if you had focused on the 1890-1914 period instead of the 1870-1890 period.
    B was very harsh, considering the topics I studied: All of Northern Ireland, and Fianna Fail/Cumman na nGaedhal up until 1945. Northern Ireland (which I'd put alot of effort into, and which has come up practically every year as a standalone topic) only came up with Southern Ireland after 1945 (which I hadn't studied). Ireland during World War II wasn't a bad question, but in my case, I hadn't studied it very much (not nearly as much as southern ireland 1922-39 and ni).
    Section A was good, I thought. Unionism came up, although I didn't study it, but it was begging to come up. Parnell is the most popular question on the course, and that was a fairly straightforward question. And the Land Question/Cultural Nationalism was in line with the type of questions over the last few years...
    Section D was good from the point of view that the Nazi Germany question was very handy, had come up a few years ago and is probably the most popular topic on the course. Stalin was also another big topic that came up. Although, the France & WW2 questions were tough, especially since I know lots of people banking on Spanish Civil War, League of Nations & Weimar coming up.

I'm hoping for at least a B3 (the minimum I need), but I'm pretty uncertain how it's gonna pan out... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

No Bismarck or France in part C? When either topic has come up every year since the course started?
    They didn't come up in 1993 and 2000 either.
    Still, I can imagine they'll be some complaints about it and maybe the other questions will be marked easier because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I think that was a really nice paper. There was a great choice in all sections, especially Section D, where not 1 but 2 dictators (Stalin and Hitler) came up. It was great that Cultural Nationalism came up, as I wasn't expecting it to, as it came up last year. It was a bit strange that neither Cumman na nGaedheal or Fianna Fáil in government was asked on Section B, but Neutrality was ther, and has you studied at all you'd have had at least 1 option. Question C.4. (International Relations, 1890-1914), was phrased a little oddly, but it was doable. All in all, a very good paper, considering the SEC had the temptation to throw the rule-book out the window, given its the last year of the course.

Johnerr wrote:
    i gave a mate a few tips from this board, what came up?

A:
    The Land Question
    Parnell
    Irish Unionism, 1886 - 1914
    Cultural Nationalism
    Arthur Griffith

B:
    The Irish Civil War, 22-23
    Foreign Policy, 1922-1966
    Ireland during WWII
    First Inter-Party Govt., 1948-1951
    Ireland, North and South, 1945 - 1966

C:
    Great Britain 1870-1914
    The Eastern Question
    Tsar [sic] Russia, 1904 - 1917
    International Relations, 1890 - 1914
    WWI

D:
    France, 1919 - 40
    Stalin
    Nazi Germany, 1933-39
    WWII
    The Cold War

• Advertisement

I've never even studied, nor knew that any of the textbooks had it, but I wonder how many people did D.4: World War II Asses the importance of operations in the Mediterranean theatre during World War II.

A guy in my year did it, but he is a military history fanatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

here a question poised to me looking at the stalin question on the paper: as well as writing about his domestic changes, could you write on his foreign policy and how he transformed the u.s.s.r with his foreign policies also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

Holla, bro. I KNOCKED THAT **** DOWN

A: Unionist Opposition to Home Rule

B: First InterParty

C: Tsars

D: Hitler's Achievement of a Totalitarian State

I don't think so. Questions on Stalin are generally either Foreign or Domestic. You have plenty to write about on collectivisation, industry, the Show Trials, the Great Purge, etc. so there is no need to go into foreign policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 love_the_chocol

i was very angrry with that paper, what were they thinkin, no france and they changed the format of the northern ireland essay 22-66. Me was angry, was lookin for B1 but that no france fiasco has after dropping me to a c1 at the most, backstards!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

I messed that paper up soooo much.
    I hadn't studied anything that came up in Section C, can anyone tell me what you were supposed to write about for the International Relations Question? I made a stab at it by using my causes of the First World War essay and adding in the Morroco stuff. Was that wrong though?
    Also does anyone know how many pages there are in an answer book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 love_the_chocol

and the fact the tsars question was only on Nicholas was a kick in the ass!!!

They didn't come up in 1993 and 2000 either.
    Still, I can imagine they'll be some complaints about it and maybe the other questions will be marked easier because of it.

Yeah but Church State relations came up in 2000 (of which France and Bismarck had a big part in), as did Anglo-German Relations 1870-1914 (which would've included Bismarck... although I dont there was much of Bismarck in that topic :P). 1993 had Chrurch state relations in France & Germany as well, as well as Franco Prussian War (which is precursor to both topics).

This time around there was nothing about Bismarck, and practically nothing about third french republic.

Rredwell wrote:
    I don't think so. Questions on Stalin are generally either Foreign or Domestic. You have plenty to write about on collectivisation, industry, the Show Trials, the Great Purge, etc. so there is no need to go into foreign policy.

still not totally sure now.. It just said how he grew to consolidate complete power and transform the u.s.s.r. Foreign policy would have a transforming effect on the ussr, i.e. it's entering into the league of nations, invasion of finland, poland, taking over estonia, latvia, lithuania and the non-agg pact August 1939.

But even with that said, I'm not 100% sure.. Argh

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

What the Hell was that why the **** was france in D but not C I was so sure....so sure. Stalin was easy that revolutions in Russia question was an absolute bitch. Unionism was alright and FOREIGN POLICY what the **** I was expecting ECONOMIC damn I really enjoy history as a subject and I usually do really well but damn....just damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

yeah it was quite an unfair paper looking back on it, i was never expecting to do well, so it didnt suprise me i found it hard.
    that was just bitchy what the did in section c!! hopefully i got a c1 did special topic, cultral nationalism, inter party govts, stalin and a a paragraph on international relations.
    i knew 3rd republic inside out, it was basically a dead cer, and i knew bismarck just in case.
    if you really studied hard (i mean practically the whole course) then it was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jdevlin

Rredwell wrote:
    Yeah i used foreign policy, i think it tied in ok. I Wrote paragraphs on 1st 5yr plan,2nd 5yr plan,education,collectivisation,kulaks,purges and i wrote one about how Stalins defensive foreign policy e.g league of nations + nazi-soviet pact created stability domestically until 1941

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

You guys are nuts, that was just about the most unfair paper I've ever sat.

First of all, no Davitt, no Mussolini, no French 3rd Republic

Question A, I'll give them, it was okay. I did the Parnell essay, very doable.

What was up with Question B? Sure, a lot of you had the Interparty Government done but we hadn't and we were expecting Security, Economy and Anglo/Irish relations 1922 - 1932 and 1932 - 1938 to come up! They weren't there. I ended up doing that foreign policy question, even thought I hadn't a clue about the 50s and 60s :rolleyes:

Question C. What can I say? No France... and the Russia essay was ****e... from 1904? Bloody stupid! The choices the rest of the choices sucked too.

Question D pissed me off because I had prepared Mussolini thinking one question or another on him was guarunteed. I did Hitler, but I didn't have the facts on the top of my head...

Very... unfair... paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i don't think it was fair section C. I reckon they'll go bit easier in that section. Everything else was so easy to predict.

IF i was to do more than france, it woulld have been RUssia and maybe bismarck.

eastern question never, nor causes of ww1.

i got A in junior cert, had hoped for another A, 2 years comes down to 3hours 20mins, what a load of bollox.

I'd say it was grand once u had Section C. Everything was predicted for other sections.

• Advertisement

Exiztone, you are complaining about something that was your own fault, i.e., not revising enough material. We had covered on average 3 out of 5 topics in every question on every section, so we were OK. It's the age-old problem with tips and predictions: if you abide by them too much, they'll let you doen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I thought it was a great paper, was exacting Davitt for a but i did him instead of my research topic cause i knew him so well. The parnell q was very broud i thought so that was good. Inter and war was what i expected for b. I was suprised at c, i was thinking france, but luckily i had read reform this morning and last night so it came back to me. Stalin was always gonna come up, great q, got to take about rise as well as domestic.
    5-6 pages for each essay. Almost certain i got an a1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Rredwell wrote:
    It's the age-old problem with tips and predictions: if you abide by them too much, they'll let you doen.

thats a bit stupid in all fairness. How do u do history if u can't predict it. For instance i heard VERY FEW tips for ww1. I could have studied 3 topics and still be ****ed over with C.

Rredwell wrote:
    Exiztone, you are complaining about something that was your own fault, i.e., not revising enough material. We had covered on average 3 out of 5 topics in every question on every section, so we were OK. It's the age-old problem with tips and predictions: if you abide by them too much, they'll let you doen.

Oh, okay then, so YOU revised modern history to the extent that you can write an essay on German military and naval strategy in the first World War?

I'd love to see how well you do in your other subjects with the amount of time you obviously put into history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

exiztone wrote:
    Oh, okay then, so YOU revised modern history to the extent that you can write an essay on German military and naval strategy in the first World War?

I'd love to see how well you do in your other subjects with the amount of time you obviously put into history...
    I'm kicking myself that I didn't do that question. It was dead simple. All you had to do was talk about the shieffen plan and the plans to go through the netherlands and take out the french armies in a syth like sweep and than talk about the trench warfare. Instead I wrote a little less than a page on the eastern question :(

exiztone wrote:

ya that's actually simple. Talked to about 8 or 9 people who did that question because they had it prepared.

Having done the history exam twice, and gotten 98% last year in it, it's simply down to learning enough essays, that's about 6-11 essays per section (sometimes more).

People are going to bank on tips, but in order to succeed, you've got to learn 7 or 8 tipped questions. And then some of the "usual suspects".

If you had only learned 2-3 of the tipped questions per section, you would have been in major trouble today.

SO yes it is your own fault.

(oh and ps. "with all the time i put into history", i'd love to see you come close to even getting what I got in my mocks last year.)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Jesus 6-11 per section we did about 6 or 7 per section in class but damn that's impressive if a little unneccessary

Macka wrote:
    Jesus 6-11 per section we did about 6 or 7 per section in class but damn that's impressive if a little unneccessary

They're probably in some freak robot school

exiztone wrote:
    They're probably in some freak robot school

not really. won the harty this year and all ireland this year, so i wouldn't regard us as much of a freak school.

Oh and there's no need to be bitchy because you can't find anyone else to blame - Paper was tough, but again, fair if you had the work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

hada wrote:
    that's about 6-11 essays per section (sometimes more).

Eh how about for the whole exam...i did 3 per section and i was fine. I got 2 in 2 sections and one in each of the other two while i did davitt for the research section.

Advertisement