Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Disection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

rosa wrote:
    Also does anyone know how many pages there are in an answer book?

I think it's 25. I've finished a few lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

The history was nearly a total disaster for me. FRANCE 3RD REP. Never came up that was all I studied. Nothing on b questions so I waffled on civil war. And my hand is now killing me 24 pages.never wrote so much in my liife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

daxon wrote:
    The history was nearly a total disaster for me. FRANCE 3RD REP. Never came up that was all I studied. Nothing on b questions so I waffled on civil war. And my hand is now killing me 24 pages.never wrote so much in my liife

...Which begs the obvious question - what did you write about :P?

right.

5 pages on ulster unionism
    5 pages on stalin
    5 pages on section e northen ireland
    5 pages on the eastern question. total waffle
    4 pages on civil war in ireland. another total waffle

Good stuff :) best of luck man - you'd be surprised with how far waffle/general broad storytelling actually gets you in history.

It got me a C in the mocks - well, for 2 essays anyway.

• Advertisement

man i only got 51% in mocks with 5 essays. techer said i never answered th questions proporly. gud luck 2 u to man.

info just was cumming bak 2 me haed and i worte and wrote.

daxon wrote:
    man i only got 51% in mocks with 5 essays. techer said i never answered th questions proporly. gud luck 2 u to man.

info just was cumming bak 2 me haed and i worte and wrote.

Oh sorry no - I worded that wrong, I meant 2 real essays and lots of other waffley essays. Every essay of waffle I did got me around the 50 marks anyway, so all isn't lost for sure :)

At least you answered 5 questions. People were walking out today and telling me that they went against rule #1: "I did 4 questions...but I did them brilliantly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

At least you answered 5 questions. People were walking out today and telling me that they went against rule #1: "I did 4 questions...but I did them brilliantly".[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know a few people who only did four, the theory being that they made sure those four were really good B1-A1 type essays. I went for the five but my waffling on question C will only highlight my ignorance and make the examiner think I'm really silly. Still think its better to try though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I was looking forward to pointing out the Irony about Davitt loosing his arm and being arrested for being invloved with arms. Ah well.

Binomate wrote:
    I was looking forward to pointing out the Irony about Davitt loosing his arm and being arrested for being invloved with arms. Ah well.

Probably for the best that it didn't come up. Most history teachers don't do jokes or humour at all. Seriously.

• Advertisement

rosa wrote:
    At least you answered 5 questions. People were walking out today and telling me that they went against rule #1: "I did 4 questions...but I did them brilliantly".

Yeah I know a few people who only did four, the theory being that they made sure those four were really good B1-A1 type essays. I went for the five but my waffling on question C will only highlight my ignorance and make the examiner think I'm really silly. Still think its better to try though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, think about it clearly... even if they are 4 B1 type answers, they're diluted entirely by a big fat 0... just because people don't start the question doesn't mean anybody will forget about it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I asked my teacher about brit reform months ago...and he didn't cover it with the class...and basically told me not to do it cause it is "fairly boring"....luckily i read over it this morning and remembered it. And for a guy that had told me not to bother with it he wa fairly excited when i told him i had done it....he told me all the times he'd done it it hadn't come up and the year he didn't do it....

Our teacher spent the whole two years of the course telling us about how unionism and Britian were bound to come up. Did we bother to study the two topics? Nope, we did Séan Lemass instead who came up in 2004. I realy don't get some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I almost studied Lemass until i realised he was up last year. Between Cummann Na Ghael inter party and war years you were sure of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 UncleFester

i thought that it was the best paper ever!!!!!!i could;nt have asked 4anything more perfect :) all my questions came up
    A - Parnell (the Man)
    B - Inter Party gov (3 short years)
    C - Nicholas2 (i mean i actually had that exact Q prepared EXACTLY those words!!)
    D - Stalin (and if he did'nt come up i was ****ed cos i did'nt even look at Hitler or Moussilini!!!)

i was just really lucky with what i studied and what came up (and i was'nt in all me exams - Irish NOTHIN i studied came up) but a lot of girls in my class were'nt pleased at all particularly with section C so i suppose it was'nt a particularly easy paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

fine paper imo other than section C i had every 1st choice question i wanted

A-Griffith
    B-Inter Party
    C-Tzarist Russia
    D-Cold War

pity about not being finished until after applied maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Lynibeth wrote:
    I think it's 25. I've finished a few lol

25?! How did you arrive at and odd number?! There are 24 in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I think We should forget about the whole history thing now that it's over FOREVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i could do a very bad joke right now but i think ill skip it for reputations sake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

I by no means aced the exam, infact i am assured of that fact as i only did 4 essays, but that is truly the most generous paper that could have come up for my whole class. I think people are probably right in saying that you should be able to predict the paper and those who are complaining about their predictions coming up must have been looking at the past papers all wrong. I was in a similar predicament i HAD to try and narrow down the work by predicting stuff.

But it should have been clear to everyone looking at past years that Stalin had to come up, Mussolini came up 2 years ago, Hitler one year ago and no sign of Stalin, then both Stalin and Hitler came up on the mock.

Also there was a very straightforward and comprehensive question asked on Bismarck last year comparing the success of his domestic and foreign policy. Some may argue that they could have linked him to France this year, but we were advised by our teacher to know both Germany and Russia for Section C to cover for such a possibility. Instead i prepared myself for the single essays like the Eastern Question and William II.

Again for Section D people are advised to learn all three Dictators Stalin Hitler and Mussolini, so if two of them come up you can't really complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Agreed, people complaining about the exam simply didn't look at the pattern.
    Everyone knew Unionism, Inter Party Gov, Eastern Question and Stalin were all pretty much asured of coming up and really should have been the first things you covered. I had an essay learnt off for each, rewrote them all, should get my B1/A2 and I was finished 20 minutes early.

vote4pedro wrote:
    Everyone knew Unionism, Inter Party Gov, Eastern Question and Stalin were all pretty much asured of coming up and really should have been the first things you covered. I had an essay learnt off for each, rewrote them all, should get my B1/A2 and I was finished 20 minutes early.
    I was realy expecting France to come up in section C. It was just as likely to come up as the Eastern Question and it was the more common of the two. I supose it's my bad luck and my own fault but I'm not complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

vote4pedro wrote:

when did everyone say eastern question? If u can find more than 3 people who predicted it in the history or predictions thread i'll shut up. But i don't think there was. Most people don't have enough time on there hands to learn 13 (including Special topic) A1 essays. Most i was able for was about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I like the sound of next year's course, it sounds so much more exciting than ours. They have Irish, European AND American now if I'm not mistaken, and it covers 1900-2000 so that would have been cool to do.

Ah well, too sad, so sad, bye bye. I can finally enjoy history no strings attached (...unless I do it in college that is...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

when did everyone say eastern question? If u can find more than 3 people who predicted it in the history or predictions thread i'll shut up. But i don't think there was. Most people don't have enough time on there hands to learn 13 (including Special topic) A1 essays. Most i was able for was about 7.

Not sure if people were saying it on here, but I know at the start of the year I thought it would come up, the two history teachers in my school predicted it, and most of my friends schools tipped it. A lot of people just didn't do it because it can be a tough one to get your head around. I agree learning 13 is tough and a little unrealistic, but what Im saying is the questions they asked were the most likely ones (bar a no show by F3R) so I don't think people can say it was a particularly hard paper. The course itself and time limit is what was hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yeah.. i was shaking and near vomitting about history on the day because i'd done no work except a night's cramming... I picked six topics i considered worth studying based on past papers and general intuition

A: Davitt & killing home rule with kindness (I really didn't much expect davitt though.. it's been so many years one would presume there's a reason rather than a pattern. and i knew the conservatives only very vaguely, i was planning to just wing A, as i ended up doing)
    B: Interparty & neutrality (both came up as you know..i didn't even see the latter since i love interparty so much... it's my bitch)
    C: French 3rd republic & causes of WW1 (okay, so they ****ed with the 3rd republic..but that's why learning other things is a good idea :))
    D:Cold War & Stalin, general essay & some domestic (ooh... look at that)

so there you go... i learned 6 topics and it covered me for all 4 sections. Predictions can work if you predict correctly. Covering the course in any remotely broad way would easily have covered you completely.. it really was an accommodating paper so quit complaining about it. Hard luck if you didn't do well..but it wasn't an evil paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

passive wrote:
    "Predictions can work if you predict correctly."
    Nice observation Watson

:D thank you..

but... by "predict correctly" i didn't mean "be right in the end".. i meant "base it on the right patterns and ensure what you've picked is actually the most likely to come up and keep you covered according to all the evidence you have at your disposal" i.e: not picking one topic a section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Don't know who set our mock paper, but they really nailed it - all 4 topics that I wrote on in that came up in the real thing. Cultural Nationalism, Inter-Party, Tsarist Russia and Hitler's totalitarian state...so yeah, I'm officially the jammiest bastard ever.

I'm kinda surprised by section C, would have thought France was almost a cert, or at least some kind of 1870-1890 question, Russia was my fallback (and the paragraph on 1917 was fairly fudged, "...and then Lenin came back and took over. The End."-type stuff) but the rest was fairly predictable - Hitler's domestic hasn't been on in years, neither has Inter-Party, and Constructive Unionism was due as well.

Some guy upthread was saying you need to learn 6-10 essays per section...can anyone actually remember that much accurately? I learned 3 per section and I was sorted, the smartest girl in my class only learned 4 each (and she's expecting an A1)...6-10 seems excessive if you want to do well in any other subject, and you risk overloading yourself with facts and getting confused.

And as for how much to write...I filled the answerbook (24 pages by my count) and was feeling grand at that, til I looked over at the A1 girl and saw she was on page 30 (her 2nd extra sheet) and still going strong.

• Advertisement

18 pages was the most i can manage.. I just can't write fast =(. I'd be annoyed to learn I could have typed it if i'd found out about that... annoyed and amused.

Advertisement