Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT

• 15-06-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭

Im just coming to the end of my BT Plus trial, the plan was to use the trial to tide me over until Smart was available, but we all know how that worked out...
    So I asked customer care what my options are:
    If I stay connected I have to pay the installation and Im locked into a 12 month contract. Yet if a new user comes along he gets free installation and no contract, WTF?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

GreeBo wrote:
    If I stay connected I have to pay the installation and Im locked into a 12 month contract. Yet if a new user comes along he gets free installation and no contract, WTF?

In that case cancel and re-order :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

GreeBo wrote:
    Im just coming to the end of my BT Plus trial, the plan was to use the trial to tide me over until Smart was available, but we all know how that worked out...
    So I asked customer care what my options are:

Arent Eircom offering 6 monthly contracts? Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

See, I'm kinda the same 'cept (without realising it) I'm with BT now for 6 months... and I still haven't been billed...
    Am I going to get a HUGE bill now for the installation and the past three months billing or do you think they've forgotten about me?? I gave the direct debit account number etc, but nothing has been deducted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd imagine you'll get a huge bill when they discover their mistake.

Stark wrote:
    I'd imagine you'll get a huge bill when they discover their mistake.
    ooh great... I'm looking forward to that one... would I be better off just calling them tomorrow and asking them to charge me? (I never thought I'd hear myself say those words!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i just went for the bb+ and line rental thing, but i hope i get billed in the right way, i would hate to get a one bill of 500 euro in one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

well they will and are well within their rights to get ya at some point, give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

They normially wait for 2 months then bill you for the previous 2 month and the following 2 months and then add on the installation charge.

Personially I have no problem paying the install charge as you get 4 months of broadband for it!

Give them a call as they could "forget" about billing ou for a year and then your in deep sh!t.

ok, so I called them this morning, it appears I had 4 months free? (I was sure it was only 3, but I'm not going to complain about that!!) My billing starts tomorrow (what kind of timing is that!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ok, so I called them this morning, it appears I had 4 months free? (I was sure it was only 3, but I'm not going to complain about that!!) My billing starts tomorrow (what kind of timing is that!!)
    yeh you get three months trial and then if you stay on with them you get an extra month free.

I think that's how they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmmm... better give them a ring as well and see when my trial is up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Earl

I'm kind of in the same position Dizzyblabla. I signed up 3 months ago, no trial or anything, had it before. No money has been taken from my account, although I'm going to make sure I keep putting it in, and on top of that, I'v been sent 3 modems, yes 3.

I've called them twice about this, both times they said they'd send someone to pick it up shortly. That was about a month ago and I've heard nothing. Absolute shambles.

I'm going to be cancelling the service in the next 2 months or so, so it'll be very interesting to see what happens. Might have had free broadband and two free modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Believe me Earl BT will charge you...I can gurantee you that!!!

They can come back and look for the money owed to them for many months after you cancelled their BB....UTV did that recently for a mishap in billing many months ago even though some of the people they contacted were no longer UTV customers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

dub45 wrote:
    Arent Eircom offering 6 monthly contracts? Might be worth a try.
    BT > Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

When I had my BB+ and line from BT I didn't pay any installation charges. On the first bill I got was 2 previous months and 2 following months bb charges after the 4 months trial. This was before xmas so not sure if they still have the same offer but worth checking as this offer was not in place when I ordered and I was told on the phone from their rep while I was still in trial that there was no installation charges because I have changed my like to BT too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

BT are now offering BB with no min contract terms.

So if you signed up earlier with a 12 month contract after a trial, tell them that you will stay with them if the allow you go onto the new offer otherwhise you want to cancel. See if that works

Here is a quote from their current broadband FAQ
    https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbbFAQ
    Is there a contract?

Yes. There is a contract, but, it has no minimum term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ok, just received this mail from BT:
    Dear Customer,

We seem to have having problems removing the Broadband service from your line as the phone number and eircom account number the service was setup on no longer matches. Please contact your new provider in order to obtain the new Universal Account Number (Eircom Account Number) in order to finalise the cancellation.

BT apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I feel like telling them to get stuffed. I havent changed providers so I havent a clue what their problem is tbh.
    I sent the modem back so as far as Im concerned my part is over with.
    Opinions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

See, I'm kinda the same 'cept (without realising it) I'm with BT now for 6 months... and I still haven't been billed...

They will shortly send that off to a nasty nasty debt collector if you are not careful . Have you rung your bank to see if BT put a DD 'in place' and then forgot about it themselves .

If there is a DD 'in place' for BT (It may show up in the bank as ESAT FUSION or ESAT ) we will tell you how to talk to them and what EXACTLY to say to them .

Not dealing with it is not an option, BT are a nightmare when things go wrong unless you are very firm with them first , but you are in a 12 month contract now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

BT are now offering BB with no min contract terms.

So if you signed up earlier with a 12 month contract after a trial, tell them that you will stay with them if the allow you go onto the new offer otherwhise you want to cancel. See if that works

Here is a quote from their current broadband FAQ
    https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbbFAQ

That answer has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They will shortly send that off to a nasty nasty debt collector if you are not careful . Have you rung your bank to see if BT put a DD 'in place' and then forgot about it themselves .

If there is a DD 'in place' for BT (It may show up in the bank as ESAT FUSION or ESAT ) we will tell you how to talk to them and what EXACTLY to say to them .

Not dealing with it is not an option, BT are a nightmare when things go wrong unless you are very firm with them first , but you are in a 12 month contract now .
    I'm also in the same boat except its more like 12 months than 6 and the bank have confirmed that there is no DD in place ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement