Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need laptop/internet help

• 15-06-2005 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a laptop that connects to our broadband at home without any cables but when I go elsewhere I am unable to hook up to the phone sockets even when I use a cable from the laptop to the socket
    The laptop -inspiron 5160- doesn’t seem to recognise the phone connections, I urgently need some help.
    Tried calling the oh so helpful folks from eircoms ‘help desk’ but got nowhere.
    Perhaps some of you experts could help.
    Ta
    What do I have to change to the settings/connections on the laptop to enable me to do so.
    Puzzlingly the laptop will recognise the eircom hotspots…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Do you have a dial up account on your laptop??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭canavanbn@hotma

When I got to internet options it says 'dial-up (default)' and its slightly higlighted..

How are ya?

Follow the instructions here to download an Esat BT free dial up account https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fiolfree . If the link doesn't work you'll find it on the Esat website. You need to "Dial-Up" to this new internet account before you launch internet explorer. This should work, at the moment your computer will probably be set not to dial a connenction as your aDSL modem looks after this kind of thing.

I want to keep eircom as my provider..I thought i could hook up to someone elses phone line.If i resgiter with the provider you suggested i dont want to cut-off the eircom...if you get me

Yeah im officially confused now...Still dont get it.
    I have eircom on home phone and i just want to hook up to an outside phoneline..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just put the €ircom dial-up number into the Connections setting's window...it's in any phonebook.

[edit] you can just log in as a guest...no need to set up an account...

Taken your advice wertz gone connections, and with eircom (default)..i went to eircom settings and there are three blank subheadings..
    they are automatic configuration
    proxy server
    dial-up settings
    Where do I enter the eircom dial-up number?

Dial Up settings

Well what do i put in password and domain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

It really would be much easier if you went to eircom and followed their instructions to set up a free dial up account. I'm sure they have small scripts to sort out the settings for you and all that.

I think here is where you might want to start:http://home.eircom.net/products/

The dial up modem and wireless lan are totally seperate things. In particualar the wirless lan doesn not need to "dial up" to get connected, while a modem does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Try the iol one. You do not need to change provider. You will then have 2 dial up accounts on your computer. Try and connect to the iol one. If that works then its just your eircom settings. Then delete the iol one.

Advertisement