Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Having been on the scene since 1990 and seen all the Dublin/Irish DJ's i can safely say that Liam Dollard is undoubtely the best of them all, and our very own Francois isn't far behind him, Warren K too is excellent.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

This is a classic oldskool tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rhythm Ireland

Hows it going lads!

Can anyone I.D. this old Sunset tune?
    Think it could be rushmore or something like that?

Listen here! with built in media player

Thanks in advance:)

This is the other side of the record I posted, 3 posts up.

Does anybody remember Raido Active, from years ago, early 90's
    I think it was a show on Nova or DLR , on Sat or Sunday evening,
    they use to play tracks like this....

Would of loved to be here!!:p:p:p

Gentleman i refer you to the last few posts in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476581

After last summers massive disappointment with the poxy garda raiding the Asylum awakening the general consensus is that we must try again BUT this time only a very small select number of people will know and the venue will only be released about an hour before the event happens, and it HAS TO HAPPEN.
    If anything like this gets onto facebook/bebo/myspace forget about it, as little as possible have to know in advance.

IT HAS TO HAPPEN, and collectively we can do it

Will be in touch with the usual trusted peeps on here in time.;);)

I wont post anymore on here about this for now, and it'll be by E-Mail/PM in future.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jonny68 wrote: »
    Gentleman i refer you to the last few posts in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476581

After last summers massive disappointment with the poxy garda raiding the Asylum awakening the general consensus is that we must try again BUT this time only a very small select number of people will know and the venue will only be released about an hour before the event happens, and it HAS TO HAPPEN.
    If anything like this gets onto facebook/bebo/myspace forget about it, as little as possible have to know in advance.

IT HAS TO HAPPEN, and collectively we can do it

Will be in touch with the usual trusted peeps on here in time.;);)

I wont post anymore on here about this for now, and it'll be by E-Mail/PM in future.;)

stfu man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Hows it going lads!

Can anyone I.D. this old Sunset tune?
    Think it could be rushmore or something like that?

Listen here! with built in media player

Thanks in advance:)

can't get it to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

have to dissagree there cheif!!thyme is by far for mixing/trick mixing and putin a set together

senan s wrote: »
    warren is by far the best of the lot, its a shame he doesn't dig a bit deeper into tunes, when he's called up to duty

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

.......would finally have to say Pressure made many a night in the ASYLUM a brilliant experience & the way the DJ was tucked away in a box at the front of the Rave & not up on a fuc.king pedestal with his name in lights thinking hes a superstar made the Rave/tunes/people the focus......you may disagree with me but as i read on the end of a Post somewhere.......Thats my two cents;)

My sentements exactly Key. You just expanded on what I mentioned before;)
    The policy in The Asylum was brilliant. As soon as you got to the door you got a 'Hello' from the door staff, you didn't get the usual bull you would get elsewhere. There was no bouncers roaming the place either. No rules once you got in the door, now obviously not everyone respected that one.
    But the best for me was the DJ Box. Like you said there Key tucked away in a box at the front .
    You could actually go into the DJ Box and yap away, no probs. I couldn't believe the first time I went in, I thought I was going to get thrown out. Then Heavy, who ran the DJ Box, in the earlier Asylum days anyway, buzzin outside the Box to get the clubbers perspective and checkin out the sound so he could tweek the sound desk.
    The DJ Box eventually got closed off as you can imagine the nut cases in there causing mayhem:D
    Read the first story here on another lax Asylum policy. (May contain waffle:D)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56355002&postcount=2698

Total interactive, you wont get that vibe again.
    Not unless you know someone with a spare flux capacitor, this is my car, needs a couple of parts and then party time:D
    DeLorean.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Read the first story here on another lax Asylum policy. (May contain waffle:D)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56355002&postcount=2698

Great Post:cool: thats the type of story that makes this thread a great read.

Total interactive, you wont get that vibe again.
    Not unless you know someone with a spare flux capacitor, this is my car, needs a couple of parts and then party time:D
    DeLorean.jpg

Keep an eye on ebay, they come up every now and then. The RA got the last batch in Belfast just before the factory closed down, they used them for something else though;)

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

DeLorean.jpg

Heres a replica one.....
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/07/flux-capacitor-replicas-for-sale/
    but im sure withg a little tweaking we can use it:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

senan s wrote: »
    warren is by far the best of the lot, its a shame he doesn't dig a bit deeper into tunes, when he's called up to duty
    Having been on the scene since 1990 and seen all the Dublin/Irish DJ's i can safely say that Liam Dollard is undoubtely the best of them all, and our very own Francois isn't far behind him, Warren K too is excellent.;)
    turks wrote: »
    have to dissagree there cheif!!thyme is by far for mixing/trick mixing and putin a set together

Lads Lads Lads.....you are unfortunatly all wrong here is the best D.J. in the country:D:D:D:D:p
    :DIrelands best D.J.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

acidhouse.jpg
    Here's and oldie I found in the attic - This is what I was listening to when I was a nipper :rolleyes: I went to Voodoo night @ McGonnagles (south anne st) with Pat Hyland to hear this music. We were both nuts about acid house (even went to our Debs in Smiley T-Shirts, Cycling Shorts and Bandanas :o). Later we went to Sides DC to checkout Liam Dollard mixing this stuff. Acid House was a massive influence to our crew, (MELTDOWN @ The Finglas Castle anyone?? ). The 808 Drum Machine & 303 Bass Machine needs a big-shout-out as they were the backbone to this stuff.

Archive Cassette Rip - MP3 256kbps
    AcidoAmigo A Side - 71MB Zip
    AcidoAmigo B Side - 64MB Zip

[ Below info taken from NIMUSIC.com ]
    The House Music Revolution, which exploded in 1988, grew to epic proportions in the mid nineties before collapsing under its own weight, while pockets of underground resistance thrive to this day. As it was becoming within the economic range of a few at the time to make this new computer music, like the Punk pioneers before them, they decided to ignore the fact that there was no formal music industry and started to make their own.
    READ MORE HERE - http://www.nimusic.com/showFeatureArticle.asp?id=57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Gen:FX wrote: »
    [IMG]This is what I was listening to when I was a nipper :rolleyes: I went to Voodoo night @ McGonnagles (south anne st) with Pat Hyland to hear this music.[/img]

yeah used to go to that as well-it started out as a thursday night every second week, rotating with Club Sandino...to be fair I dont think Robbie Foy gets enough credit for being one of the 1st promoters of acid house in Ireland

Gen:FX wrote: »

That is some read, anything similar for Eire or Dublin? I know there is a small write up Dublin somewhere on the net but nothing as detailed as that!

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fitze

Have to agree there 100% there Jonny, with Liam Dollard. Dont think anyone really comes close. One of the nicest blokes also in Dublin...

Keep us posted on the soiree you are planning, sounds real good:D

On the Dollard front, does anyone have any old tapes of his??

Fitzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

i few tunes i have in the car at the mo! i can dig out the mp3 if anyone wants them? but maybe there not everyones cupa!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Any tapes of Kavo in the Olympic knocking round, can't remember any being posted and am defenitely to lazy to search back through 355 pages to see :D someone was asking me about them yesterday and I realised I don't have any tapes from the Olympic at all:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

stephen_n wrote: »
    Any tapes of Kavo in the Olympic knocking round, can't remember any being posted and am defenitely to lazy to search back through 355 pages to see :D someone was asking me about them yesterday and I realised I don't have any tapes from the Olympic at all:eek:

I don't think they exist man, have never heard of any Olympic audio knockin around.

If anyone has any, wink wink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Cray92

Fitze wrote: »
    Have to agree there 100% there Jonny, with Liam Dollard. Dont think anyone really comes close. One of the nicest blokes also in Dublin...

Fitzy
    Liam dollard all the way,warren was the best in the asylum though.This could be a long shot but are you the same fitze from portmarnock that used to so to the temple of sound.I knew a few from portmarnock from ravin back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fitze

Cray92 wrote: »
    Liam dollard all the way,warren was the best in the asylum though.This could be a long shot but are you the same fitze from portmarnock that used to so to the temple of sound.I knew a few from portmarnock from ravin back in the day.

Jaysus this world does be gettin smaller, yeah that be me alrigtht, who may I ask is your good self Cray92??

Here is an Olympic mix, its no MK but it lasts about 60 minutes, some fairly good stuff on it too;)

Gerry Carey Sunset Radio 'Olympic Ballroom Mix'
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ii09njtzt1l

Give me a day or two and I will get a Kavanagh mix up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Cray92

From raheny myself,went to the temple,asylum etc with peter reynolds jimmy mccrory alan lawless.Robbie Cray is my name,everybody used to meet up in mac's flat on bachalors walk.Jason courtney,johnathan kirby,gybie rip,brian kenny,garman duncan i knew loads from the porto posse.

Here is an Olympic mix, its no MK but it lasts about 60 minutes, some fairly good stuff on it too;)

Gerry Carey Sunset Radio 'Olympic Ballroom Mix'
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ii09njtzt1l

Give me a day or two and I will get a Kavanagh mix up.

Thanks for that Seany!!

Seems odd there was not much tapes made in the Olympic although I'm sure Mr Spring probably has some audio knocking around. Mind you I suppose it depends on the DJ not really any tapes of Johhny Moy from sides or the Temple of sound knocking round and he is one IMO that could be added to the list of top mixers from back in the day. Although I would still say Warren was the best for making a seamless mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

bmooney wrote: »
    all u want when u hit the raves was the tunes the highs and a top nite every 1 goes on about mick wlalsh /pressure and they are dont get me wrong 2 class djs and 2 sound bloke when i have been talking 2 them but when u think of all the other class djs around at the time the time of sides and the asylum ie warren k / ed case /tango and two the best in my eyes from the asylum and sides at the time had 2 b warren k and then jay carey class dj jay top tunes and mixing when u hit the raves u dont want a meet and greet just a gud nite out off the head and top tunes so i can c both sides of this with what was posted in the last few each 2 there own on this

Would have to agree with mr mooney a 110% jay c and warren k were 2 of the best around that time. their mixing was seamless and tunes were top notch

Cray92 wrote: »
    From raheny myself,went to the temple,asylum etc with peter reynolds jimmy mccrory alan lawless.Robbie Cray is my name,everybody used to meet up in mac's flat on bachalors walk.Jason courtney,johnathan kirby,gybie rip,brian kenny,garman duncan i knew loads from the porto posse.
    HAHA no way i knew a few of those lads Brian Kenny and Peter Reynolds and Garman definitely the rest ring a bell too, small world indeed eh :D

Fitze wrote: »

Fitzy

will do mate;)

Cant do it on my own though so will be looking for regulars on here,etc to get in touch with me;)

Thanks for that Seany!!

Seems odd there was not much tapes made in the Olympic although I'm sure Mr Spring probably has some audio knocking around. Mind you I suppose it depends on the DJ not really any tapes of Johhny Moy from sides or the Temple of sound knocking round and he is one IMO that could be added to the list of top mixers from back in the day. Although I would still say Warren was the best for making a seamless mix!

To be honest with you as far as I can remember the mixing in The Olympic was piss poor. Although 10 outta 10 for tune selection but you wouldn't get the same quality of mixing that you'd get in either The Asylum or Sides DC.
    So maybe thats why there aint much knockin around.
    I once even heard that the tape Hardcore Exctasy was played in the ballroom one night:eek:
    And deffo I mentioned this before, one night a tape was played, on the sly, in the Asylum while some problem was being frantically sorted with the decks.
    Asylumkey ripped the sound track from MrSprings Olympic video a while back. I'll let him post it up here again and get the full honours:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Seany!!
    Seems odd there was not much tapes made in the Olympic although I'm sure Mr Spring probably has some audio knocking around.!
    Asylumkey ripped the sound track from MrSprings Olympic video a while back. I'll let him post it up here again and get the full honours:D

Heres that audio for ye if ye want it......
    Back_to_1993_Audio.MP3

As for Mr. Spring having audio from the OLYMPIC he may very well have but not much chance of him parting with it........
    Im not one for bad mouthing anyone but at the time i had put together the first ASYLUM video i had made i was in contact with him looking for any more footage of the ballroom he might have but said he hadnt but that he did have a load of tapes from gigs he did in the SFX that he hasnt put up anywhere......
    He recommended that i use Megaupload.com to up the ASYLUM vid because the files were almost 500mb each & we agreed that when i put it up i would send him the links for download & he would give me the MP3's of the SFX gigs.......sadly he reneged on this & despite me contacting him several times he just wont reply:mad:.......so i wouldnt hold out much hope of getting any old OLYMPIC recordings out of him........

Whats the point of holding on to recordings of stuff for years for archive sake if your not going to share it with the people that were there with you at that time.....we were all there together were we not??????

I beleive francois has a video of the waterfront also & no sign of that.....

Just put the stuff up for all to enjoy & see & hear the old places from the past we all enjoyed so much instead of clutching it in your hands with you to the grave.......:D;)

To be honest with you as far as I can remember the mixing in The Olympic was piss poor. Although 10 outta 10 for tune selection but you wouldn't get the same quality of mixing that you'd get in either The Asylum or Sides DC.
    So maybe thats why there aint much knockin around.
    I once even heard that the tape Hardcore Exctasy was played in the ballroom one night:eek:
    And deffo I mentioned this before, one night a tape was played, on the sly, in the Asylum while some problem was being frantically sorted with the decks.

Agreed the mixing wasn't as good certainly in the early days of the Olympic but then again it was defo more about the tunes than the mixing in those days. Kind of always on the fence myself about the importance of good mixing, think it's good to here a DJ scratching and cutting but I think tune selection was always the most important part of it as after all it's about the music. Wasn't until the Asylum that I got interested in mixing myself so wasn't really paying attention to what DJ's were doing just what they were playing! Still surprised that there aren't any sets available maybe Kavo has some but doesn't want anyone to hear his bad mixing lol
    Back_to_1993_Audio.MP3

As for Mr. Spring having audio from the OLYMPIC he may very well have but not much chance of him parting with it........
    Im not one for bad mouthing anyone but at the time i had put together the first ASYLUM video i had made i was in contact with him looking for any more footage of the ballroom he might have but said he hadnt but that he did have a load of tapes from gigs he did in the SFX that he hasnt put up anywhere......
    He recommended that i use Megaupload.com to up the ASYLUM vid because the files were almost 500mb each & we agreed that when i put it up i would send him the links for download & he would give me the MP3's of the SFX gigs.......sadly he reneged on this & despite me contacting him several times he just wont reply:mad:.......so i wouldnt hold out much hope of getting any old OLYMPIC recordings out of him........

Whats the point of holding on to recordings of stuff for years for archive sake if your not going to share it with the people that were there with you at that time.....we were all there together were we not??????

Just put the stuff up for all to enjoy & see & hear the old places from the past we all enjoyed so much instead of clutching it in your hands with you to the grave.......:D;)

TBH that doesn't surprise me in the least, I used to know his sister and to say the least he's a Mé Féiner daddy built him a studio back in those days which I reckon had more to do with his influence on the scene than any actual ability. Wouldn't expect anything other than it's my ball and I'm taking it with me attitude from him!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I hadn't bought Mixmag for years but bought that edition alright for the article on 20 years of acid house and also that mix cd - I have yet to listen to it though :eek: Must dig it out.

Roll call.
    SEANYBOY1 : ANSEO

Come on now lads, when Dilly is in town you gotta go. Cliffy told me that Dilly told him that the Asylum was the best club he ever played.
    I remember seeing him in there one night getting very exicted by the floors reaction to his set. He was only short of leaping out of the DJ Box and joining in:D

DillyComputer.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thanks for that Seany!!

I'm amazed at the lack of mixes from the Temple of Sound, I have tried over the years and never managed to get a single mix... be it from Johnny Moy, Billy Scurry or any of the regular guests such as Billy Nasty, David Holmes, Fabio Paras, Justin Robertson.. the list goes on. Surely there are some fckin mixes out there somewhere from the Temple of Sound!!! I heard that Ken is now working in a club in Galway, maybe he has some mixes tucked away somewhere.

I found Johnny Moy also on facebook and sent him a message to ask had he any mixes from back then, he responded to say he hadn't done a mix in years.. I guess that's a no or he didn't get my question... :confused:

Lads, to get you in the mood for this Saturday night here is another rarely heard Positiva 1993 Uplifting Asylum Gem.
    The Asylum went mental when this was played.
    Cant believe I never posted this up before now, stumbled on it in an old box of cd's.

POSITIVA.gif

Here is all 5 versions from the cd single.

01 Give Me Love - Edit
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bzmem34rmby

02 Give Me Love Diddy's Up Against It Mix
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzqdltsmc4a

03 Give Me Love - Peach Mix
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hyzi8zv5vzl

04 Give Me Love - Secret Knowledge Mix
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mta9w5icx4z

05 Give Me Love - Original Mix
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dugxttmhzmv

This is the best version IMO. You'd get lost in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

This is the best version IMO. You'd get lost in this one

Thats the gay version Shane lol :D

i preferred the original for bopping to :)

Lads, to get you in the mood for this Saturday night here is another rarely heard Positiva 1993 Uplifting Asylum Gem.
    Cant believe I never posted this up before now, stumbled on it in an old box of cd's.

POSITIVA.gif

01 Give Me Love - Edit

Ah nice one for that boss......i think i remember it fondly from the ASYLUM but cant be quite sure.....maybe the OLYMPIC......maybe not:confused:;)

• Advertisement

POSITIVA.gif

01 Give Me Love - Edit

Thanks for that dude,

what a start to Friday:)

where did I hear that...deffo the Ballroom and Sides DC...great stuff.

Can't make it Saturday, I've a Christening to go to:o

Cheers,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Back_to_1993_Audio.MP3

hey theasylumkey, ill have a chat with springer later today to see what i can get of him for ya!! he is prop up to his eyes in it!:rolleyes:

Indeed. Eddy Comerford was working in Springers gaf years ago, just after their first gig in the SFX (IT WAS CRAP) . This was a pure coincidence, they got talking and he gave Eddy an EP for 'free'.
    Any chance of converting his MOONSHINE VID - LEAVE ME THERE to mp3 please.

hey theasylumkey, ill have a chat with springer later today to see what i can get of him for ya!! he is prop up to his eyes in it!:rolleyes:

Sound for that chief.....i can fully appreciate people have a lot on & are really doing a favour if they allocate time to do ya a few recordings of vids & what have ya but it just pis.sed me off that as soon as i sent him the links to the ASYLUM vid he just wouldnt even reply to a message to say he has a lot on will get to it....it was just a 'terry wogan' on it......(terry wogan meaning "Blankety Blank":D)
    Used to buzz with him up on stage when the waterfront was kickin rollin a few back then.....he told me francois has a Vid of the place.....would love to see that as it was a very hazy experience in the waterfront when we were buzzing there.....only a few sparse recolections of the place.....i do remeber there was a stairs that led up to a side exit door the bouncers used to open & let people get some cool air when they wanted.....and the bar was to the left if you were facing the stage.....and think the stairs downstairs was to the left of the stage also......and that there was always really trippy video displays projected onto the back of the stage but the rest is a bit of a blur at this stage:p

Im on it will try & have it before the days out for ya;)

Im on it will try & have it before the days out for ya;)

Her ya are SEANY....its converted at 320kbps to MP3 but to use a phrase CAF used about re encoding from an already compressed file......"its like lipstick on a pig":D
    Olympic moonshine - Leave me there
    OlympicMoonshine-leave me there.MP3

• Advertisement

Her ya are SEANY....its converted at 320kbps to MP3 but to use a phrase CAF used about re encoding from an already compressed file......"its like lipstick on a pig":D
    Olympic moonshine - Leave me there
    OlympicMoonshine-leave me there.MP3

Sound for that chief. If your at Dilly I may catch up with ya!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the lack of mixes from the Temple of Sound, I have tried over the years and never managed to get a single mix... be it from Johnny Moy, Billy Scurry or any of the regular guests such as Billy Nasty, David Holmes, Fabio Paras, Justin Robertson.. the list goes on. Surely there are some fckin mixes out there somewhere from the Temple of Sound!!! I heard that Ken is now working in a club in Galway, maybe he has some mixes tucked away somewhere.

I found Johnny Moy also on facebook and sent him a message to ask had he any mixes from back then, he responded to say he hadn't done a mix in years.. I guess that's a no or he didn't get my question... :confused:

Yeah would be nice to get some sets from the temple might not have been everyones fav club and certainly wasn't underground which might explain the lack of tapes but used to love the way Johhny Moy and Billy Scurry would gradually build the tempo over the course of their sets and throughout the night till it was nice and banging for the last half hour and you'd always leave on a high rushing off your tits!!

derra wrote: »
    Thats the gay version Shane lol :D

i preferred the original for bopping to :)

I agree, the original is always the best..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Yeah would be nice to get some sets from the temple might not have been everyones fav club and certainly wasn't underground which might explain the lack of tapes but used to love the way Johhny Moy and Billy Scurry would gradually build the tempo over the course of their sets and throughout the night till it was nice and banging for the last half hour and you'd always leave on a high rushing off your tits!!

whatever happened to your man Steophen Mulhall too he was very good, i used to get itchy feet to go out raving come Thursday and me and my old mate Glen (RIP) use to toss a coin to see if we'd go to the Waterfront or The Temple as they were the best nites on a Thursday, Stephen Mulhall used to play Thursdays and Liam Dollard used to play on occasions as well,.was never packed but always a good nite and of course we'd always end up mad outta it down the early house before trying to sober up and head into work:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement