Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

es-cee wrote: »
    had it mixed up.
    i used 2 stick it on when buzzin on the decks in me cousins gaf as a kid, thought it was just a different remix.
    Yeah everybody used to just called all 4 tracks Carnival. It's just the name of the E.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    When all the clubs were closed a few of us went to 'Marleys' in the Three Rock at the back of Rathfarnham. It was a deadly spot with excellent sounds and Pink Mad Bastards were the order of the day. One night I seen the stumpy Buzzer collecting glasses while working as bar staff I couldn't believe it. There was actually a fair few bodies from the Olympic who went up there.
    Good Marleys toone!
    Hope - Tree Frog I Feel So Real Remix
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y4nvy1bbdgd

Tea from 'Jimmy Deans' I bet;)
    10 sugars in Jimmys tea and you were sorted:D

Jimmy Deans Fu&* i have not heard of that place in years :D:D lol
    nice one seanyboy!! remember that place well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

Steo32 wrote: »
    ahh the trips home from the olympic were allways a gamble for me sometimes we walked all the way back to sandyford must be about 7 or 8 miles, then we might make the nightlink and even then we would still have to walk from dundrum, but the all night garage was our savour and the trusted walkmen with the taped of a mix from sunset fm. I went to school with the (director) of sunset his name is Gary aka goc anyone know him
    he had his set up in a small shed in his back garden. mad ****er:D

Played a few times on Sunday on sunset, usually up from the night before in bits! They used to take requests from a phone box outside their house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

Bloody hell, this thread has gone over 1/2 a million views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

You ask you get

Lionrock - Carnival
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wy3nmvdvzvw

bonus
    Lionrock - Packet of Peace
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jv95mvqxiyi

Ah they had their own crew, Mark Kavanaghs toone selection was always spot on!
    Towards the end they got in Mick Walsh and Pressure was there for the second round.

Never knew Mick Walsh played in the Olympic - wow:eek:

I remember WK playing in there and a mate of mine who would go to the Olympic for a few hrs and then down to the Asylum would always say he was the best DJ and the atmosphere he created in the Asylum was amazing - he kept saying to me to get to the Asylum, it was a mental place, so mental that it would close - I missed my chance:(

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Steo32

francois wrote: »
    Played a few times on Sunday on sunset, usually up from the night before in bits! They used to take requests from a phone box outside their house!
    yea sundays were allways worth a listen, I use to have some good mixes on tape, No doubt some of them were yours. You must know gary sound chap havent seen him since a rave on the beach in portmarnack about four or five years ago good craic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

nice1 4 those 2 haven't heard that mix of 'carnival' in years.
    do ya have the other 1 with the sirens and bloke givin it sox in the middle,
    "its time 2 testify and i want 2 know are you ready 2 testify"?

Sorry thought that was it??

It reminds me of a story http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56812449&postcount=3216
    Garda.gif
    NovaGSi wrote: »

I remember WK playing in there and a mate of mine who would go to the Olympic for a few hrs and then down to the Asylum would always say he was the best DJ and the atmosphere he created in the Asylum was amazing - he kept saying to me to get to the Asylum, it was a mental place, so mental that it would close - I missed my chance:(

Cheers,
    Mick

Im 99% he did play in the Olympic, towards the end you could even get in for £5 before 12, Anything to stem the flow of regulars to the Asylum.
    Where you never in the Asylum Mick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

Slim asylum classics
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=09d9bb381e4aeb2bd0d290dca69ceb5ce04e75f6e8ebb871

This is an exelent mix full of pure asylum trance classics!!!! :cool:

its labled slim2

the dj on sunset on sundays mornings use to be letal always played tunes that id be after dancing to only a few hours before :p

Sorry thought that was it??

Where you never in the Asylum Mick?

:oNope, one of lifes regrets or maybe it was a good thing that I didn't make it;)

I heard loads of great stories at the time but also heard a lot of bad things....neddles, knives, gangs etc, it sounded a little too much for me at the time, I was Happy out raving in the Ballroom...then moved onto Sides DC for a bit of intense night life;)

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Cheers,
    Mick

is there any mick walsh mixes from the asylum.does anybody know.:confused:

DUB1 wrote: »
    Slim asylum classics
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=09d9bb381e4aeb2bd0d290dca69ceb5ce04e75f6e8ebb871

its labled slim2

mark is this the 1 you were on about with the rare asylum tunes or is this the 1 that you upped on ni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Slim asylum classics

its labled slim2

Dub wats the name of the track that mixes in at 32.05 min,
    any ideas?

aceberg wrote: »
    mark is this the 1 you were on about with the rare asylum tunes or is this the 1 that you upped on ni.

Slim u/l this on ni bout 3 or 4 yrs ago and theres a few gems on this alright tunes that arnt really on the usuall asylum classics :cool:

i hav to get them mix's off him i was there when he done them, i tell ya u shud see the collection he's got or hear :D

any ideas?

i cant think of it off hand but il get the name for u :D

i cant think of it off hand but il get the name for u :D

sound man fair play, its a good mix some nice tunes on it.

Slim asylum classics

its labled slim2

Excellent is right, just listened to it there, nice one:)

Stupid question...who is Slim??

Anymore from him??

Cheers,
    Mick

Excellent is right, just listened to it there, nice one:)

Stupid question...who is Slim??

Anymore from him??

Cheers,
    Mick

hes a friend of mine, he use 2 log on here and on ni but he dosn't log on much anymore he plays techno now and hes trying to make it as well and of course he was an asylum regular,i hav a few of his mix's il throw them up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

any ideas?

Another superb tune off Limbo and an asylum favourite :cool:
    have a couple of Slims mixes here too must throw up :)

derra wrote: »

got there before me derra.was just about to post that.darn you.:D

• Advertisement

got there before me derra.was just about to post that.darn you.:D

:p:D
    Like getting the few tune id in when i can ,only last couple years since on the net that i have got to know some of these tunes, way behind the likes of yourself Ace :)

:p:D
    Like getting the few tune id in when i can ,only last couple years since on the net that i have got to know some of these tunes, way behind the likes of yourself Ace :)

ah can take a long time to find out the names of tracks and even then it's hard to remember them all.there's so many you just can't listen to them all,all the time.still it's nice to be able to help people out with an oul id.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Speaking of Slim actually, does Antoh be on NI these days still? He was another that put up a lot of gems in the early days on NI but I don't think he was posting much after... I did exchange a lot with him though on SLSK a couple of years back.

This was a tune that had me stumped for fckin years (1994) till Anto stuck it up on NI a few years back, think I may have posted it here before but worth popping up again... great tune.

http://www.discogs.com/release/194255

ah can take a long time to find out the names of tracks and even then it's hard to remember them all.there's so many you just can't listen to them all,all the time.still it's nice to be able to help people out with an oul id.:D
    Spot on :)
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    Speaking of Slim actually, does Antoh be on NI these days still? He was another that put up a lot of gems in the early days on NI but I don't think he was posting much after... I did exchange a lot with him though on SLSK a couple of years back.

Think he is in Bangkok still, feckin great collection he had alright :)
    Gave me many a tune on SS, but lost loads of usernames after re installing it including his :rolleyes:
    Like yourself also Felix ,he knew his tunes as well .

Spot on :)

Think he is in Bangkok still, feckin great collection he had alright :)
    Gave me many a tune on SS, but lost loads of usernames after re installing it including his :rolleyes:
    Like yourself also Felix ,he knew his tunes as well .

Jaysus he must be enjoying Bangkok so, thats a long time now! Ah I knew some tunes then, but its a blur now... been buying too much current stuff lately and dipping into buckets of ambient stuff from the past!

Although was listening to this gem again today and by fck did it put shivers through me. I paid about 80 quid for this 12" a few years back and remember nearly not posting the Mp3 on NI because it cost me so much - I did still though obviously :D

There were a few mixes of this but the SMILE mix was my favourite by far.

Jaysus he must be enjoying Bangkok so, thats a long time now! Ah I knew some tunes then, but its a blur now... been buying too much current stuff lately and dipping into buckets of ambient stuff from the past!

Although was listening to this gem again today and by fck did it put shivers through me. I paid about 80 quid for this 12" a few years back and remember nearly not posting the Mp3 on NI because it cost me so much - I did still though obviously :D

There were a few mixes of this but the SMILE mix was my favourite by far.
    may as well stay there if he is still there ,anywhere is better than this country at the moment :pac:
    expensive hobby man :eek: ,whats the most you or anyone for that matter paid for a record ?

nice1 derra, was a bit of a puzzler. ive had that tape years now and im only findin out the name now.
    fair play man.:D

may as well stay there if he is still there ,anywhere is better than this country at the moment :pac:
    expensive hobby man :eek: ,whats the most you or anyone for that matter paid for a record ?

I'd say that was one of the most I've paid... I did pay about the same for the X-Mix 3 vinyl compilation, I was after it for years and fought to the last minute with some French w*nker till I won the bidding! That was at least 6 years ago now and vinyl has definitely dropped in price since, can now get it for about 35

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=80436&ev=rb

I remember back in the day the most I paid was 30 punts for the red 12" promo of Model 8 by Lemon 8, was pretty rare at the time and is still a top tune for me. 30 punts was a lot in 1994!

http://www.discogs.com/Lemon-8-Model-8/release/1242511

• Advertisement

nice1 derra, was a bit of a puzzler. ive had that tape years now and im only findin out the name now.
    fair play man.:D
    No probs :)
    I'd say that was one of the most I've paid... I did pay about the same for the X-Mix 3 vinyl compilation, I was after it for years and fought to the last minute with some French w*nker till I won the bidding! That was at least 6 years ago now and vinyl has definitely dropped in price since, can now get it for about 35

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=80436&ev=rb

I remember back in the day the most I paid was 30 punts for the red 12" promo of Model 8 by Lemon 8, was pretty rare at the time and is still a top tune for me. 30 punts was a lot in 1994!

http://www.discogs.com/Lemon-8-Model-8/release/1242511

:D:D
    fúcker was probably a relative or friend or something to the seller to increase the bid :rolleyes:

Well worth the money for that Lemon 8 tune, fine tune that is :cool:

Did'nt have decks long enough to get into serious collecting or buying etc , but remember swapping that Superman tune for Havana-Discorder and DOP -Lion .....went on to sell for big money that superman tune , but i hated the tune with a passion and still do :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement