Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was it like the Deck set up in Abbey Discs when it was in the Mall?

yes just like that! do you remember that setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yes just like that! do you remember that setup?
    Do I what!!! I bought many a crap track because of that thing!

When I used to go in Derek would hand me a pile of tunes and let me bang them on the Decks and sometimes I'd just buy some tunes because they mixed well together. :rolleyes:
    Bit cringey when I think of it now, but hey I was young.

That's mad that the set up in the Olympic was just one of those all in ones. Probably explain why the mixing was a bit "basic" at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do I what!!! I bought many a crap track because of that thing!

When I used to go in Derek would hand me a pile of tunes and let me bang them on the Decks and sometimes I'd just buy some tunes because they mixed well together. :rolleyes:
    Bit cringey when I think of it now, but hey I was young.

That's mad that the set up in the Olympic was just one of those all in ones. Probably explain why the mixing was a bit "basic" at times.

Yeah the Mixing was bacic at times,i remember springer telling me in 97 they got in a seperate sound system for a few weeks,himself and allen pullen played there and recorded a the mix but the decks on the night had a 'leaky pitch' fault on one deck, meaning the pitch was not working properly, so the mixing was pretty terrible, and as a result, the set did not flow well.
    The mix is available somewhere on his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

I remember a coulpe of the lads from Bunting Road that used to come up & drink with us behind the school in greenhills.....Nando & Conway......both went the wrong road unfortunatley.......was a couple of the boys from bunting road though that we didnt see eye to eye with.......couple of lads from Bunting that were scum actually.......sorry to offend but thats what they were

I remember Nando myself Key, he went out with a girl from Kilnamanagh.
    I used go get some mala off him on the way into the Olympic. He would be sound one day then be a total prick the next. He had a tatoo off a stick man with rave written under it yet he had never even been to a club or rave:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    I remember Nando myself Key, he went out with a girl from Kilnamanagh.
    I used go get some mala off him on the way into the Olympic. He would be sound one day then be a total prick the next. He had a tatoo off a stick man with rave written under it yet he had never even been to a club or rave:confused:

Thats right he used to come up to greehills for a gargle the odd time at the wall behind the school & we would be heading into the OLYMPIC later & he would never come in:confused:

• Advertisement

Thats right he used to come up to greehills for a gargle the odd time at the wall behind the school & we would be heading into the OLYMPIC later & he would never come in:confused:

Last I heard he was a gear head, mess with that crap and you usually end up on the path of no return, I know plenty of people like that:(

Last I heard he was a gear head, mess with that crap and you usually end up on the path of no return, I know plenty of people like that:(

I was down in a flat he was living in must have been about 8 years or more back now & he was in a serious bad way.......very sad when you know someone close that has gotten robbed of their life from it......only seen a mate of mine yesterday for the first time in about three years that used to go into the OLYMPIC, ASYLUM, ORMOND, WATERFRONT, HELLFIRE CLUB, HOMELANDS, CREAMFIELDS & loads of party with me & started messing with the Gear around 2000-2001 wasnt in a bad way at all about 2006 when i last seen him & when i seen him yesterday it was like it wasnt the person i used to know.....it was like it was someone else & have to say really pissed me off........Heroin is a curse & anyone even thinking about it really should get away from whoever they are getting involved with:(

On a lighter note heres one side of a tape i converted few might be interested in.....its recorded off KISS FM in 1999 & DJ on advertising @ 22:00 mins into mix Anne Savage & Liam Dollard in the CRYPT & Pasha upstairs......most of the tunes are probably fairly easy to get but here it is anyway for anyone who wants it.......

Temple Theatre KISS FM tape 1999 SIDE A
    http://jumbofiles.com/3usiecpet3n9

bohsboy wrote: »
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yxghomtzxtj

Try that mate - Marc et Claude - Deux Petits Differences

Lovely stuff;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

Juicy Lucy wrote: »

Great tune, I remember it being played as the last track in the Olympic one night, what a way to end the night:D

Cheers,
    Mick

NovaGSi wrote: »
    Great tune, I remember it being played as the last track in the Olympic one night, what a way to end the night:D

Cheers,
    Mick

Ah yes yes yes, the last song of the night, I'll PM you a Frank De Wulf version of that in an hour. You would be shell shocked when it ended, your head would be in a mess with no sounds and you on cloud nine.
    I remember once I brought a ghetto blaster in with me and I put it in a room at the front door. I was walking down the street when I forgot about it. I legged it back only to find some rasher trying to claim it as his own and fair play to the staff at the Olympic they didnt believe him and there was only a few people left at that stage in the place. I was walking down Wicklow/Camden Street with the stereo on full blast with Olympic classics recorded from Sunset and I swear I was like the pied piper there was a line of ravers behind me buzzing off the music:D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Steo32

Ah yes yes yes, the last song of the night, I'll PM you a Frank De Wulf version of that in an hour. You would be shell shocked when it ended, your head would be in a mess with no sounds and you on cloud nine.
    I remember once I brought a ghetto blaster in with me and I put it in a room at the front door. I was walking down the street when I forgot about it. I legged it back only to find some rasher trying to claim it as his own and fair play to the staff at the Olympic they didnt believe him and there was only a few people left at that stage in the place. I was walking down Wicklow/Camden Street with the stereo on full blast with Olympic classics recorded from Sunset and I swear I was like the pied piper there was a line of ravers behind me buzzing off the music:D:o
    Yea it has to go down as an all time classic in my book, not sure I remember it being the last tune played in the olympic. But I always remember that smoke belch 2 being played last what a track to end a good night I think sean u mentioned that before.:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Steo32

I mentioned this track I cant find before, but im not giving up someone has to remember it. its hard to explaine some chap counting down Five four three two one ........ We have ignition and then some high keybord piano type music comes in. its not we choose to go to the moon or Saturn five the world awaits great tune that one do. Please someone put me out of my misery all i can say is it was regulary played at the time 92/93.;)

The walk home, that was always some craic, meeting some of the heads you were talking to in the Ballroom, finding out about what parties were on etc.

I remember walking home one night and just as we got to Georges St there was a gang of scumbags kicking the **** out of a few lads that came out of The George, talk about narrow minded scum, anyway, there was only a few of us and we were in no fit state to go and help but the Garda were on the scene within mins.

Another night at the same spot a new BMW M3 (E36 for those who want to know) came down from Camden St and started doing donuts for what felt like 10 mins, the street was filled with smoke. The car stopped and you could see 3 lads, no more than 18 yrs old, sitting in the car with big grins on their faces, then in a flash they were off:P

Ah, the memories, good and bad

Cheers,
    Mick

The walk home, that was always some craic, meeting some of the heads you were talking to in the Ballroom, finding out about what parties were on etc.

I remember walking home one night and just as we got to Georges St there was a gang of scumbags kicking the **** out of a few lads that came out of The George, talk about narrow minded scum, anyway, there was only a few of us and we were in no fit state to go and help but the Garda were on the scene within mins.

Another night at the same spot a new BMW M3 (E36 for those who want to know) came down from Camden St and started doing donuts for what felt like 10 mins, the street was filled with smoke. The car stopped and you could see 3 lads, no more than 18 yrs old, sitting in the car with big grins on their faces, then in a flash they were off:P

Ah, the memories, good and bad

Cheers,
    Mick

That had to be the same night i was in there cause i did see a Beamer doing donuts outside for about 10mins before.......unless there was another beamer another night:D:D

That had to be the same night i was in there cause i did see a Beamer doing donuts outside for about 10mins before.......unless there was another beamer another night:D:D

Anyone remember Paddy Murphy from Tymon, he used to flash his suped up red micra at the corner of Westmorland Street and O'Connell bridge after the Olympic whilst you'd be lookeing at some gargled bloke wolfing down a greasy burger in the Abrakebabra window:D

Anyone remember Paddy Murphy from Tymon, he used to flash his suped up red micra at the corner of Westmorland Street and O'Connell bridge after the Olympic whilst you'd be lookeing at some gargled bloke wolfing down a greasy burger in the Abrakebabra window:D

Dont specifically remember a red micra but i do remember Tomo screwing the balls out of a black primera up in kilnamanagh & nearly killing all of em in it when it turned on its roof outside the community school.......garda were just around the corner interogating me at the time which allowed them to get away:D:D:D

Dont specifically remember a red micra but i do remember Tomo screwing the balls out of a black primera up in kilnamanagh & nearly killing all of em in it when it turned on its roof outside the community school.......garda were just around the corner interogating me at the time which allowed them to get away:D:D:D

Ah my mate Tomo, yeah that ring road was the scene of some crazy stuff, one incident that stands out is being in a brand new borrowed Subaru Legacy and hitting a tree beside the church at 60 mph:eek:

You never know...

Talking about Micra's, does anyone remember a guy called Dave from Lusk/Rush who would always be in Sides? His Micra would be parked outside, red as well I think, he was a small guy. I used to bump into him all over the place and he'd always have the Micra, even if he was on the piss or yokes. I even met him down at the Prodigy in Killarney, I didn't know he was going and didn't see him in the rave but met him in the town after the rave. About 20 of us kept going till the early hours thanks to the stereo in his Micra, parked up in a car park and opened the doors with the stereo up full blast:D

Ah my mate Tomo, yeah that ring road was the scene of some crazy stuff, one incident that stands out is being in a brand new borrowed Subaru Legacy and hitting a tree beside the church at 60 mph:eek:

Nice and handy having the crash at the church;)

Cheers,
    Mick

Cheers,
    Mick

Nice one Mick i never seen it that way.......... just made me laugh:D:D:D

Cheers,
    Mick

Christ I never thought of it like that, good one:D
    There must be some religious artifact at the spot where we crashed another time. We crossed the tallaght by-pass from the extreme left lane across the dual carriage way, across the big grass central madian then across the opposite dual carriage way (just missing oncoming cars) and into a lamp post. The car must have flipped over at leasr 10 times and all this cause we took a lift off some guy who went into offer for us!
    There wasnt a scratch on anyone and the beer survived:eek:

• Advertisement

Christ I never thought of it like that, good one:D

Homer, the god of beer made sure of that....that means you were just so fcuking damn lucky:p

Cheers,
    Mick

Homer, the god of beer made sure of that....that means you were just so fcuking damn lucky:p

Cheers,
    Mick

Yeah Ive used up most of my nine lives, better take it handy from here on in;)

Ah well FAT BOY SLIM in Marley Park on Sunday, cant wait;)

es-cee wrote: »
    let us know if the link works out, 1st time postin a link this way.:rolleyes:
    Uploading that vid again now as one file hope this sorts it for ya;)

Tried three times to up that vid as one file but keeps crashing......im on the sauce for the whole weekend wont be near a PC so i will resume attempts on Wednesday;)

Have to laugh at that you would be on the lash for 24 hours & you could be either drinking cans or Pints & if you stumbled you would land on your back with can or pint perfectly vertical not a drop gone:D:P
    Yeah Ive used up most of my nine lives, better take it handy from here on in;)

Had a few scrapes meself in my time.....maddest thing when i think back now which gives me a scary feeling was a time we had a rave on the roof of the Plaza hotel in Rathmines when it was fairly new (waffled about here in the past) anyway there was a three foot wall as the perimeter of the hotel roof & flying off the head with tunes pumping me & my mate i only mentioned today (that is lost to the gear now) stood on the wall giving it loads with a sheer 6 storey drop in front of us with no fear at all.....when i think about it now it is frighteneing to think one wrong move & SPLAT!:eek:.......im outta here Ravers enjoy the long weekend;)

Tried three times to up that vid as one file but keeps crashing......im on the sauce for the whole weekend wont be near a PC so i will resume attempts on Wednesday;)

Have to laugh at that you would be on the lash for 24 hours & you could be either drinking cans or Pints & if you stumbled you would land on your back with can or pint perfectly vertical not a drop gone:D:P

Had a few scrapes meself in my time.....maddest thing when i think back now which gives me a scary feeling was a time we had a rave on the roof of the Plaza hotel in Rathmines when it was fairly new (waffled about here in the past) anyway there was a three foot wall as the perimeter of the hotel roof & flying off the head with tunes pumping me & my mate i only mentioned today (that is lost to the gear now) stood on the wall giving it loads with a sheer 6 storey drop in front of us with no fear at all.....when i think about it now it is frighteneing to think one wrong move & SPLAT!:eek:.......im outta here Ravers enjoy the long weekend;)

We were bullet proof back then, now adays youd be nicked or badly injured:D:D
    Enjoy the weekend............................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

sound man, will be doin the same thing meself.;)
    nice1.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Here is two classic's you might remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Cray92

Just readin through some of the storys of the past and it brings up a few things for me.Had a lot of great times in the asylum but theres a few things that i remember that were just bogey.One time i was in the jacks haven a hit and miss and buzzin with a few heads,but couldnt help noticing that some geezer was on the verge of gettin his nat king with this youngone,i finished what i had to do and said to myself fair play to your man.About a half an hour later i waundered back into jacks flyin out me head to see the poor bird cryin here eyes out,the geezer was after ridein her and proceeded to rob here new 501s and air max runners.What a dirtbird counlnt get me head around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Cray92 wrote: »
    Just readin through some of the storys of the past and it brings up a few things for me.Had a lot of great times in the asylum but theres a few things that i remember that were just bogey.One time i was in the jacks haven a hit and miss and buzzin with a few heads,but couldnt help noticing that some geezer was on the verge of gettin his nat king with this youngone,i finished what i had to do and said to myself fair play to your man.About a half an hour later i waundered back into jacks flyin out me head to see the poor bird cryin here eyes out,the geezer was after ridein her and proceeded to rob here new 501s and air max runners.What a dirtbird counlnt get me head around that.

Thats the best i've heard in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Anyone know what mix this is ?..
    Starts at 3:05 ?.
    It's not the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Anyone know what mix this is ?..
    Starts at 3:05 ?.
    It's not the original.

thats Mrs Roy.quality track.

http://www.discogs.com/Mrs-Roy-Mrs-Roy-1/release/265258