Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭craig_b

moany wrote: »
    DJ Ablaze - One More on Upbeat Reords

fair play mate serious tune...:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hey lads, I'm hoping someone can help me.

Can any of the oldskool heads tell me anything you know about a club called "Sides" - apparently it was the first club to have a dedicated dance music night in Dublin, way back when. It's in a bar called the Mercantile in Dame street / Dame Lane

This is just what I've heard and I could be wrong but can anyone tell me more I'd appreciate it
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Zascar wrote: »

Can any of the oldskool heads tell me anything you know about a club called "Sides" - apparently it was the first club to have a dedicated dance music night in Dublin, way back when. It's in a bar called the Mercantile in Dame street / Dame Lane

This is just what I've heard and I could be wrong but can anyone tell me more I'd appreciate it
    Cheers

Alright chief,

Check out CAFS site here for a start......

http://homepage.eircom.net/~rebuzzdefuzz/index.html

After you browse the site & all the photos, vids & flyers from sides im sure you will have plently of people back here posting up stuff for ya.
    Will see if i can find a few posts for ya about sides & post them up here foa ya.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, wondering from anyone who actually used to go there etc - what was it like, what was the music, who played there, who ran the nights etc? Was it actually the first real dance venue in Dublin? When did it open and how long did it go for?

Cheers, wondering from anyone who actually used to go there etc - what was it like, what was the music, who played there, who ran the nights etc? Was it actually the first real dance venue in Dublin? When did it open and how long did it go for?

:)

I went their every week for the whole of 1995 mostly until it closed & their is a fairly extensive history of the Rave posted on this thread over the years.......will put something together for ya for you to browse through......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Hi Zascar, i lived in the Sides DC week in week out from about 92-94
    im not sure if it was the first dance club in dublin but could well be.
    most of the oldskool DJ's played there mick walsh, warren k, pat hyland ,pressure. the music mostly played there was progressive house! and imo it was the best club dublin has ever seen!

:)

Heres a few sides related posts for ya chief.......would post up a few tracks for ya but that would be silly seeing as your a Mod:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56328427&postcount=2691
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/149106/58422.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/149106/62611.jpg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58865086&postcount=5316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers
    Are you taking the p1ss? You don't know about sides?

It was originally run by John Murphy (who I actually know now through a close friend, pity I didn't know him then!)

Amazing underground club when it first opened, great sounds. DJs like Liam Dollard, Billy Scurry and Greg Dowling (I think) were regulars. Sounds were housey/progressive (old progressive, think Sasha/Digweed Renaissance CD)

You'd enter the club in Dame Lane and head downstairs to the Bar and from there you'd head up to main dancefloor, which would be on street level. It was just a long rectangular box with a pumping sound system and they'd tend to leave to strobe on for what would seem like an eternity....which I loved. :D

Closed down for a while and then DJs like Mick Walsh, Warren K started playing there playing heavier sounds. Never liked the club around that stage. Sounds and People had changed.

Jonny would be the man to ask about the early days, he used to go there a lot.

I always wondered what sides was like pre - 91,was it also a gay bar around 1990? i also think the music played there was more 80's pop commercial dance?

As Bazmo says Jonny would be the man to ask..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think pre 91 it was just a bar/nightclub as there wasn't a house scene over here. Started to really kick off around 92 (I think) I must ask my friend or John the next time I'm speaking to them.

• Advertisement

It would be interasting to know the history of Sides DC in the early days 89/90/91. i remember when MW and warren took over, they use to do thursday nights and the place was never that full for a mid week night but was a super night all the same.I think most of the clientele in sides came from the the olympic when that was coming to a close...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

It was mainly a gay club but a lot of students went there, the music in the late 80's/early 90's was disco/balearic/indie and some madchester as well as house-toni walshe was one of the residents there-I ran a brief night in there on wednesdays called the anarchy night cafe in about 86/87, again mainly indie, punk and 60's....
    back again as francois1 as i was waiting too long to get my old ID back!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was never actually in Sides, bought supplies though from the good folk in the queue many a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

:eek: WTF's going on?!?!?!?!?! Key are ya there m8????? have you been able to get into properoldskool today??? looks like tha BASTURDS have finally cottoned on and have restricted it ....fooking IT CLINTS ...... I'm like a junkie here screaming out for a fix ......."neeee neeeeee neeeee naaaaalllllright bud , ya got a spare megabyte of tunage on ya there man" ......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Anybody know the name of the track from 0:58 - 1:36?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Me neither man.Qued at the door 1 night only to be told it was jammers inside and they were'nt letting anybody else in.:mad: Real pitty cause i never went back after that
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    I was never actually in Sides, bought supplies though from the good folk in the queue many a time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Crimbo

Mr.C

If you missed my "Back to the 90's" TV show on MTV & Viva last weekend, it's getting repeated in the UK on Viva tonight at 7pm. Channels Freeview 21 / Sky 358 & Virgin 313.

Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :eek: WTF's going on?!?!?!?!?! Key are ya there m8????? have you been able to get into properoldskool today??? looks like tha BASTURDS have finally cottoned on and have restricted it ....fooking IT CLINTS ...... I'm like a junkie here screaming out for a fix ......."neeee neeeeee neeeee naaaaalllllright bud , ya got a spare megabyte of tunage on ya there man" ......

no sign of key 2day lad, but im rightly pist meself. but when ya think about it, it was always gonna happen with the amount of copyright material that was on it:mad: was never gonna last.

keep in touch lad, ill pm ya me email.

es-cee wrote: »
    no sign of key 2day lad, but im rightly pist meself. but when ya think about it, it was always gonna happen with the amount of copyright material that was on it:mad: was never gonna last.

keep in touch lad, ill pm ya me email.

I only thought copyright came into play if it amounted to profiteering :rolleyes: .... gutted man .... I'm going to put out a rallying cry to raise it from the ashes .....we need our oldskool playground :c))

for now....looks like skools out!!!

I only thought copyright came into play if it amounted to profiteering :rolleyes: .... gutted man .... I'm going to put out a rallying cry to raise it from the ashes .....we need our oldskool playground :c))

for now....looks like skools out!!!

yeah we're on midterm break lad, ya cant up copyright material anywere lad especially this site, the mods are strict on that over here.

if people are d/l 4 free the artists are losin out on sales ya know, just the way it is.

• Advertisement

yeah we're on midterm break lad, ya cant up copyright material anywere lad especially this site, the mods are strict on that over here.

if people are d/l 4 free the artists are losin out on sales ya know, just the way it is.

lol Sean my man ....sarcasim.... i know i know the lowest form of wit lol .... that said you'd think artists weren't making too much on tunes long since forgotten save for sites like ours that keep it alive .....i mean you wont find any of whats in my 4shared or mediafire in any of the HMV's,Virgins,Golden Disc's etc etc .... all we did was keep the vibe alive by sharing our music between a collective....akin to the good old days of recording onto tape from the radio and then copying a tape for your mates ....suppose we shoulda just stook to the mixes then keep single shares for requests via private measures.

jaysus we were only babies in terms of oldskool websites there's loads of others out there a lot longer than us doing the very same thing.....seems to me the water is starting to look murky :mad: .... maybe our little fledgling site was looking too much a threat to others!!! hhmmmmm

Either way i wanna get in touch with the guys and get the heads together and plot a "new" venture ....just a shame we'll loose out on the 270 odd signed up members.

I refuse to go quietly into the night!! ..... The Reverand Ray Vaughan won't allow it!!!

lol Sean my man ....sarcasim.... i know i know the lowest form of wit lol .... that said you'd think artists weren't making too much on tunes long since forgotten save for sites like ours that keep it alive .....i mean you wont find any of whats in my 4shared or mediafire in any of the HMV's,Virgins,Golden Disc's etc etc .... all we did was keep the vibe alive by sharing our music between a collective....akin to the good old days of recording onto tape from the radio and then copying a tape for your mates ....suppose we shoulda just stook to the mixes then keep single shares for requests via private measures.

jaysus we were only babies in terms of oldskool websites there's loads of others out there a lot longer than us doing the very same thing.....seems to me the water is starting to look murky :mad: .... maybe our little fledgling site was looking too much a threat to others!!! hhmmmmm

Either way i wanna get in touch with the guys and get the heads together and plot a "new" venture ....just a shame we'll loose out on the 270 odd signed up members.

I refuse to go quietly into the night!! ..... The Reverand Ray Vaughan won't allow it!!!

hahaha, good stuff G, ya have me email anyway give us a bell if anythin is goin down.
    maybe a shout 4 mod is in order :rolleyes: lol.

hahaha, good stuff G, ya have me email anyway give us a bell if anythin is goin down.
    maybe a shout 4 mod is in order :rolleyes: lol.

Sean m8 , no bull , I spoke to Mark regarding that the other night, it was in the pipeline....not to sound ingratiating but i just mentioned that i felt your input and the time you were putting in warrented a reward ....i wanted you on the team!!... in fairness to Mark ,he was in agreement with it and had made ya a "honourary" mod of the house sections.

anything new or revisited you will be involved in ..... you've got my vote!

I'll keep ya posted.

Sean m8 , no bull , I spoke to Mark regarding that the other night, it was in the pipeline....not to sound ingratiating but i just mentioned that i felt your input and the time you were putting in warrented a reward ....i wanted you on the team!!... in fairness to Mark ,he was in agreement with it and had made ya a "honourary" mod of the house sections.

anything new or revisited you will be involved in ..... you've got my vote!

I'll keep ya posted.

sweet as lad, keep me posted ;) nice1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

tdv123 wrote: »
    Anybody know the name of the track from 0:58 - 1:36?
    Cheers!
    Sorry, stumped on this one. They are loving it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

es-cee hows tricks man.Got an id on that track.Just to let ya know for future reference.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmQ8Z43fcY
    the last 1 is a remix of chris c & m zone - pentium

never heard any of the rest, have ya got an mp3 of this set 4 u/l man? sounds kickin.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

This is a Classic from 1991.

Emotion - We're on the move

aceberg wrote: »
    es-cee hows tricks man.Got an id on that track.Just to let ya know for future reference.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmQ8Z43fcY

good stuff ace, that has 2 be the original of that track man, deffo dont know any other mixes of it. nice1 4 the heads up man, id noted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Kev k

would any1 be able 2 tell me the name of the song dat goes "you girls look so sexy,i wish u all were up here wit me"??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement