Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair enough personal opinion but regardless it's illegal no matter how you look at it.

Kinda like Johnny said, if a person is prepared to pay money for material where the copyright lies elsewhere, but you can probably find it for free anyway if you looked hard enough, then this person is the real fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Zascar wrote: »
    Fair enough personal opinion but regardless it's illegal no matter how you look at it.

Just what are you saying is illegal??????.......the resale of a bootleg tape????? or tunes that are produced by artists being offered for free on the Internet without them receiving any royalties for them???????

Would you not fall into the latter category seeing as this is what you are offering as a download in your 'My Mixes' link on your Sig???????

01 – Matt Masters – Deep Or What (Milton Jackson Remix)
    02 – Doomwork, Aki Bergen – Omega 1.0 – Aki’s Dopa Mix
    03 – Shur I Kan – I Want it (Milton Jackson Mix)
    04 – Anton Pieete – Love Machine
    05 – Tony Lionni – Found A Place
    06 – Okain – 717 (D’Julz Rmx)
    07 – Popoviciu & Jay Bliss – Bis.Co
    08 – Ramon Tapia – Mi Esposa
    09 – Dj PP – I Like House Music – Original Mix
    10 – Oliver Koletzki – Technica Salsa
    11 – Jeff Samuel – Funk Taxi
    12 – Steve Donaldson – Moisture Bud
    13 – D-Nox & Beckers – Cala A Boca (Original Mix)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm not selling or making a profit from my mixes, I'm doing exactly the same as most DJ's and putting a mix online - this is generally perfectly accepted.

Edit: Sorry to Clarify - I'm only talking about selling material which is clearly under copyright where the owner/artist would not want you doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I know of no one actually paying for old skool downloads when they are widely available for free online (and rightfully so as well)
    True, i entered a few of them sasha mixes into google and there all avalable for free! :rolleyes:

I'm not selling or making a profit from my mixes, I'm doing exactly the same as most DJ's and putting a mix online - this is generally perfectly accepted.

So your saying it is OK to mix tracks & offer them for free download & not pay any royalties to the original artists but not to sell on mixes for your own profit.

Seems to me that the only difference is one guy is making money from it & the other is not but they are both illegal activities regarding copyright so to be getting all moralistic about it is hypocrisy to say the least.

What about illegal Raves????.....do you disapprove of them also because they dont pay their dues to IRMA & the government????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Because I'm a believer in "Free" and information etc being 'Free' on the internet (some things, not everything obviously). If something is already free and then someone else is trying to charge for it - that's not cool. How would you like it if you put a lot of time and effort into something, with the intention of sharing it to the worlds audience for free - and someone else took it and started selling it and making profits off the back of your work. I personally would not be impressed

The internet was largely built on the concept of being free and 'sharing' - and I do not support the reversal of these concepts
    Exactly. It goes against the general ethos of the internet.

I used to work with a guy years ago that used to get a friend of his to download software in college (on the superfast connection) and then he'd sell it on to people.
    Fair enough he's making some money but again it goes against the whole ethics of software sharing.

Would you not fall into the latter category seeing as this is what you are offering as a download in your 'My Mixes' link on your Sig???????
    Ah now c'mon, that's totally different and you know it. Most (if not all producers) accept that their tunes get used in mix tapes that are then shared on the internet. They look at it as promotion.
    It's when people start to make a profit from this that the producers get p1ssed off.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ah now c'mon, that's totally different and you know it. Most (if not all producers) accept that their tunes get used in mix tapes that are then shared on the internet. They look at it as promotion.
    It's when people start to make a profit from this that the producers get p1ssed off.

Right so lets call this for what it really is........unwritten rules that can be bent or ignored as one pleases based on the criteria involved around pirating music & breaching copyright laws.

Is it not still promoting the DJ's when being sold on to a punter who obviously hasn't come across it on the web for free???? I would argue that it is actually casting the Promotional net further for said producers/DJ's cause the recipient of the mix would otherwise never have heard it.

As i said the only difference here is one guy has decided to sell on some mixes while the other is offering them for free but both are still in breach of copyright........why not allow single MP3 file sharing for free also as it will promote producers further?????

Listen, I'm not going to go around in circles debating it, but yeah it is an unwritten rule (that most people are aware of and accept). It's your choice if you want to break them. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

It's like the unwritten rule that a mate's ex is off limits. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but most people accept that it's a no no.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Listen, I'm not going to go around in circles debating it, but yeah it is an unwritten rule (that most people are aware of and accept). It's your choice if you want to break them. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Unwritten rule me boll.ix..........no one ever gave a shi.te about rules written or unwritten when the raves were banging out tracks till 8 am & all manner of narcotics were being consumed then onto barnstormers for more of the same but now all of a sudden there is a moral musical rights brigade!!!!!!!

Give me a fuc.king break.

The more i think about it actually im sure the majority of people on here bought mix tapes by Pressue, Ed Case, jay carey back years ago in the various little record shops around town.......does that not fall into the category of a DJ selling on mix tapes for profit without paying royalties to the artists?????

No one dissaproved of it then as that is why we still have all these mixes around today now digitized but it is not acceptable today???? What has changed in the ethics since then & now & when was the unwritten rule adopted by the Ravers of dublin regarding this?..........

Was it just after we all bought our tapes then it became uncool to buy mixed tapes/CD's if the producers wernt making anything off it????

• Advertisement

Give me a fuc.king break.
    31BZ8AYSSCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭antoinb

Seems like Ive stirred up a bit of a hornets nest..to be honest its needed every now and again,does the board the world of good.
    So far the most positive and the least damming feedback has been from the ones who put the most work in to the scene and the boards Stomprockin,Caf,Seanyboy1 and the Key.
    Even prompting Seanyboy to mention the lack of regard he has had on occassion from the work sharing he has done.
    A fair few of you have dished me out the evils :) without knowing a thing about me or what Ive done.Ive put more mixes etc out there for free in the past than any of you.
    Ive sat up all night with soundforge nearly blinded looking and waveforms ,hand drawing out pops and clicks and running noise filters so that the stuff youve all shared is of the best quality possible,and I never whinged about it.
    I did it and I still do it because I love the music,always have and always will.
    The mixes Im putting up on my shop are only a small part of what I do,there are also hundreds of cds on there our old skool music site with hundreds more to come along with a couple of thousand Vinyl.
    Now not one of you has or will bought/buy one of those (I know all this from Google Analyticts) because you dont buy anything,you download everything for free.You are all up in arms with talk of ethics and copyright breaches when your all looking at a long day in court if anyone ever take a serious look at your hard-drives.
    I never expected any of you to buy anything Im only posting because 1.I like a wind up and 2.Im trying out different SEO tricks and tips to get my site noticed more by google.My only regret was I didnt get you all to put <a href=http://littledogdiscs.co.uk&gt; littledogdiscs old skool music site </a> (in url brackets) in all your posts to earn me some google juice.
    22000 people typed in Sasha mp3 to Google last month,return on traffic is about 4%,now if I could get 4% of 22000 all spending £2 I could pack in my job and spend my time looking for and listening to a lot more mixes.
    Now those 22000 people might not know all the places to look and search that we do for mixes,why should they not have somewhere to go and buy them if they so wish.
    I think there is some bad feeling because there are mixes there that you cant find elsewhere and the thought of having to pay for them doesnt sit well.What you going to think when i post the real juicy mixes 3000 so far
    Lads there are people who will pay to get them ,look at this seller on Ebays feedback http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/dj-sets4u/.And Ive not only sold them but Ive had people mail me thanking me for reuniting them with mixtapes they owned way back when.
    Not one of you has signed up to my newsletter and who knows what that could of offered in the future,though 26 have visited my shop including one from Spain and 1 from America.
    PatrickD32 slap smiley!! if only there was a best dancer in the Asylum smiley I think I deserve that more :) You know nobody could touch me
    Anyways please dont take anything too serious like i said I love a good wind up and the board needs a bit of a stir up every now and again.
    Im getting a history of Ireland tattoo round my wrist tomorrow with all this talk of copyright i hope Michael Hilliar doesnt get wind of it....
    laters
    ekm2small.jpg

Ps please click on these blue bits our old skool music site thats what Google likes,not the banners

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I wouldn't dream of paying for a mix as I know where to go to get them for free, plus I have endless amounts of them sitting on drives, some of which I have never and may never listen to.

When I first read the description of selling old mixes, I did think 'the fckin cheek' but having thought further I don't see anything wrong with someone spending the time collecting them and putting some effort into selling them with the associated costs of a website etc etc, especially for a nominal fee. It will suit some (not many) people to go somewhere that they can view lots of mixes and pay for what they want - the convenience factor and maybe not knowing how else to get their hands on them. Might be nice to take it a step further and burn on to a disc with some associated artwork - you could also further promote your store on the artwork too, plus charge a little more for the physical aspect. Sure Billy was selling old Pressure etc tapes not so long ago in Abbey before they went bang - from memory he was looking for a tenner :eek:

I don't think the copyright aspect really comes into this as it being a mix rather than individual tracks or albums - now if we were talking about selling already illegally downloaded music, I'd have a different opinion alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    How about we book IVEE who plays her own productions and no one elses? - PS: what sig? - Or are we totally getting off on wrong foot here? haha
    That's an exception with IVEE. You proberly have 'signitures' switched off. Go to your control panel when you sign in - click 'Edit Options' and then turn on 'Show Signitures' at the end of the page. - No were not getting off on the wrong foot, debate and healthy banter is a good thing. :)
    antoinb wrote: »
    I have them in their current state at £.99p as I have to pay for the shop and the hosting and payal. Im chatting to people and trying to get my hands on more hard to get stuff and we are also chatting to some copyright owners of original material that never made it to mp3.
    I think people missed this bit entirley Antoin.
    The thing is with me, i find it hilarious that there are people out there that would pay for mixes in the first place that are 20+ years old :D
    99 cent for a 'mix' is nothing really stomp. iTunes will sell you a single tune for 99cent and its inferior quality (128kb)
    Ahh come on lads....yer sounding like a bunch of aul ones......why would ya give a toss about someone using a bit of initiative to make life easier for themselves!!! ........get real!!! Fu.ck the begrudgers Antoin & go for it
    :D

antoinb wrote: »
    So far the most positive and the least damming feedback has been from the ones who put the most work in to the scene and the boards Stomprockin, Caf, Seanyboy1 and the Key. I've sat up all night with soundforge nearly blinded looking and waveforms, hand drawing out pops and clicks and running noise filters so that the stuff youve all shared is of the best quality possible and I never whinged about it.
    I think people missed this bit entirley aswell, Antoin. Proper Job with the hands on approach, audio restoration plugins or dedicated software destroys the audio. Human Eyes and Ears cant be beat. It takes a hell of a lot longer to do, but, when its done once... it's done forever.
    The more i think about it actually im sure the majority of people on here bought mix tapes by Pressue, Ed Case, Jay Carey back years ago in the various little record shops around town.......does that not fall into the category of a DJ selling on mix tapes for profit without paying royalties to the artists ???????
    That's the nail on the head right there. Great example.
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    When I first read the description of selling old mixes, I did think 'the fckin cheek' but having thought further I don't see anything wrong with someone spending the time collecting them and putting some effort into selling them with the associated costs of a website etc etc, especially for a nominal fee. It will suit some (not many) people to go somewhere that they can view lots of mixes and pay for what they want - the convenience factor and maybe not knowing how else to get their hands on them. Might be nice to take it a step further and burn on to a disc with some associated artwork - you could also further promote your store on the artwork too, plus charge a little more for the physical aspect. Sure Billy was selling old Pressure etc tapes not so long ago in Abbey before they went bang - from memory he was looking for a tenner :eek: I don't think the copyright aspect really comes into this as it being a mix rather than individual tracks or albums - now if we were talking about selling already illegally downloaded music, I'd have a different opinion alright.
    I agree, from experience folk look after the work they get alot more when it's complete, it looses it's 'dispossable' feel when packaged up. - (PS) Yeah, was told some of our re-issued DAT stuff was for sale in town also.... I found out who was doing it aswell. - SneaKy by the fact we were not told about it. Though I dont really give a hoot at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Kev k

knird evol wrote: »
    nice 1 man..deadly tune:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bluemoon2009

es-cee wrote: »
    area 51 - epidemic
    sister suck - gotta get up (sister suck mix)
    moonman - don't be afraid
    energy 52 - cafe del mar
    tall paul - rock the house (itchy & scrathy mix)
    disco citizens - footprint (dj quicksilver mix)
    age of love (baby doc remix)
    diddy - give me love (tony de vit remix)
    kim carnes - bette davis eyes (d bop ferocious mix)
    baby blue - child (klm mix)
    control 5 - move
    vigo - to be house
    d.o.n.s. - drop the gun
    mark ryder - project 3 micropolis
    phunky phantom - get up stand up
    chris c & m zone - pentium

hope this helps ya out man ;)
    cheers. dont suppose ye wud have a link to that disco citizens mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Here is my mix from the radio tonite thanks to everyone who tuned in i even had an old mate of mine who now lives in Perth in Australia tune in and it was 6am there, my first Sides DC Mix in years, went well one or two slightly dodgy mixes but overall im pleased and it was received well.:)

The Sound Of Sides DC, Irelands first and greatest ever dance club.

Download Link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/728191764869074e/

Tracklisting

DOP - Lion
    Warp 69 - Natural High (jap jop mix)
    The Shaker - Mooncat
    Recycled Part 1 - Set You Free
    Glam - Hells Party
    JX - Son Of A Gun
    Grace - Not Over Yet
    Bedrock- For What You Dream Of
    Gemini 4 - Jump
    Funkydory - Goodtimes (keith mac mix)
    E-Z Possee - Everything Starts With An E (white label mix)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Here is my mix from the radio tonite thanks to everyone who tuned in i even had an old mate of mine who now lives in Perth in Australia tune in and it was 6am there, my first Sides DC Mix in years, went well one or two slightly dodgy mixes but overall im pleased and it was received well.:)

Download Link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/728191764869074e/

Tracklisting

DOP - Lion
    Warp 69 - Natural High (jap jop mix)
    The Shaker - Mooncat
    Recycled Part 1 - Set You Free
    Glam - Hells Party
    JX - Son Of A Gun
    Grace - Not Over Yet
    Bedrock- For What You Dream Of
    Gemini 4 - Jump
    Funkydory - Goodtimes (keith mac mix)
    E-Z Possee - Everything Starts With An E (white label mix)

i missed it man, sorry. was on the rip all week after the utd match on tuesday, the weeks after flyin!

now i dont know about best club but it was defo the 1st club lol.
    its all about taste at the end of the day, asylum heads would have somethin 2 say about that, as would ormond heads, temple theatre heads and so on. 4 me meself, the temple theatre was the place man, wasnt old enough 2 go 2 sides or the ormond etc but the temple was my home 4 the greater part of 6 years, so i consider it 2 be the best ive certainly experienced, a top venue with top djs from across the world every week. can the asylum, sides or ormond say that? dont know meself as i wasnt old enough, this is a question rather than a statement so any oldskool heads who might read this no offence intended 2 where ever ya got your kicks, that was your spot were ya had great times and thats great, but i would be interested in knowin if there was the cream of the crop from across the globe playin these clubs, or just the oldskool djs we know and love. let us know yeah, cheers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

cheers. dont suppose ye wud have a link to that disco citizens mix

sign up here http://properoldskool.board-directory.com/forum.htm im sure some1 will look after ya ;)

es-cee wrote: »
    i missed it man, sorry. was on the rip all week after the utd match on tuesday, the weeks after flyin!

now i dont know about best club but it was defo the 1st club lol.
    its all about taste at the end of the day, asylum heads would have somethin 2 say about that, as would ormond heads, temple theatre heads and so on. 4 me meself, the temple theatre was the place man, wasnt old enough 2 go 2 sides or the ormond etc but the temple was my home 4 the greater part of 6 years, so i consider it 2 be the best ive certainly experienced, a top venue with top djs from across the world every week. can the asylum, sides or ormond say that? dont know meself as i wasnt old enough, this is a question rather than a statement so any oldskool heads who might read this no offence intended 2 where ever ya got your kicks, that was your spot were ya had great times and thats great, but i would be interested in knowin if there was the cream of the crop from across the globe playin these clubs, or just the oldskool djs we know and love. let us know yeah, cheers. ;)

No problem mate;)

The brilliant thing about Sides is that unlike other clubs they rarely ever had International guest DJ's,instead it was just mosty residents or local guest DJ's, having been to every club in Dublin and most in Ireland worth going to Sides (IMO Of course) was the best of them all but of course each to their own and all the aftermentioned clubs were brilliant.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 TiptonDowning

Since its now official that the famous croatian club with Cult status Mungos in Kashina will re-open for one event after 12 years of silence here is an old Kashina classic composed and produced by resident Dj Dario with co-work from another famous croatian Dj Petar Dundov.
    Actually a very groovy track from 1996 acknowledged by the electro community and played in clubs beyond the borders of Croatia.

Mr.DJ Dario - Wicked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19Yvt-IjFg
    I converted this track from an audio tape so don´t expect 5.1. dolby surround with special light effects and half-naked go-go chicks dancing in the background.

I also need an ID on this track and googleing Dj Truly doesn´t give any appreciated results so please some help from oldschool insiders .

http://www.mediafire.com/?qtwzlimohnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

went well one or two slightly dodgy mixes
    Sorry mate, nice effort, and thanks a mil for uploading - but most of the mixes were off. What were you using to mix - was it done on a PC in software? Maybe we can advise ways to improve. Great track selection though.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Sorry mate, nice effort, and thanks a mil for uploading - but most of the mixes were off. What were you using to mix - was it done on a PC in software? Maybe we can advise ways to improve. Great track selection though.

entitled to your opinion mate but most i spoke to said it wasn't bad at all (not trying to blow my own trumper or anything it's not the best mix ive ever done but not the worst either );)

Raindance video from 1990, theres loads of them 10 minutes long,i have the DVD somewhere it's simply amazing.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR_j9ry_aZw

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

This is full of gems!! Enjoy!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5f57637052e46844ab1eab3e9fa335ca6d3d3928c5a94fa9

1 Herbal Infusion - The Hunter
    2 Shi-Take - (In The Age Of) Perfect Virtue
    3 Vinyl Blair - Scratch 'N' Sniff
    4 Delorme, The - Beatniks
    5 Sourmash - Pilgrimage To Paradise
    6 Shi-Take - Don't Look Back In Anger
    7 Vinyl Blair - Dope
    8 Sourmash - Eclipse
    9 Sourmash - Throwing Caution To The Wind
    10 Trancesetters - Secrets Of Meditation
    11 Dharma Bums - Wrong Is Right
    12 Shi-Take - Lifeforce
    13 Sourmash - The Blessing

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

germulhall wrote: »
    This is full of gems!! Enjoy!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5f57637052e46844ab1eab3e9fa335ca6d3d3928c5a94fa9

1 Herbal Infusion - The Hunter
    2 Shi-Take - (In The Age Of) Perfect Virtue
    3 Vinyl Blair - Scratch 'N' Sniff
    4 Delorme, The - Beatniks
    5 Sourmash - Pilgrimage To Paradise
    6 Shi-Take - Don't Look Back In Anger
    7 Vinyl Blair - Dope
    8 Sourmash - Eclipse
    9 Sourmash - Throwing Caution To The Wind
    10 Trancesetters - Secrets Of Meditation
    11 Dharma Bums - Wrong Is Right
    12 Shi-Take - Lifeforce
    13 Sourmash - The Blessing

Great mix alright - had the CD back then but sold it along with a few others at the time to fund a night or two out :(

http://www.discogs.com/Billy-Nasty-Whos-Zoomin-Who/release/205415

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Great mix alright - had the CD back then but sold it along with a few others at the time to fund a night or two out :(

http://www.discogs.com/Billy-Nasty-Whos-Zoomin-Who/release/205415

Shame, i'm sure it was worth it back then though!! We'd do anything to fund a night out!! Bought it on Discogs a few years back for 15 euro and is still one of the best purchases i've ever made!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Where's the copyright debate Gone and the paying for old mixes debate gone?lol:D i was enjoying that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TiptonDowning

A great track from Paul Oakenfold and Osborne dated 95/96.

Extremely hard to find

Oakenfold & Osborne - Rise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM6DYptuH6E

• Advertisement

Not according to this jonny:D:D:D:D;)

http://www.mobile.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754386&page=4

But its a travesty SIDES only has a score of 6:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement