Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

francois wrote: »
    The Venue was the Waterfront-we ran a night called the UFO, but changed this to Alien after the big drugs raid there :D

:D:rolleyes: Different name.....same old shenanigans:D......so i most likley went to the WATERFRONT, UFO & ALIEN & didnt even know it........thanks for the info Francois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

:D:rolleyes: Different name.....same old shenanigans:D......so i most likley went to the WATERFRONT, UFO & ALIEN & didnt even know it........thanks for the info Francois.

Yep same messing all right! Other nights there were planet Dub, Love and Unknown Pleasures

Yep same messing all right! Other nights there were planet Dub, Love and Unknown Pleasures

Ahh yes i cant speak fondly enough of the place.........it was the last True refuge in dublin for the Ravers of the time & was great to be able to go downstairs & spliff up with a beer if ya wanted to.......loved the place:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dirt bird

The Venue was the Waterfront-we ran a night called the UFO, but changed this to Alien after the big drugs raid there :D
    Used to go to the ufo in the rock garden on a friday night aswell,then it changed venues to the waterfront,great atmosphere in the place.Was in the middle of rollin a spliff when the gardai burst in,dickie rocks daughter was caught throwin a bag of pills on the ground beside me,she was lifted out of it.mad times.

Dirt bird wrote: »
    Used to go to the ufo in the rock garden on a friday night aswell,then it changed venues to the waterfront,great atmosphere in the place.Was in the middle of rollin a spliff when the gardai burst in,dickie rocks daughter was caught throwin a bag of pills on the ground beside me,she was lifted out of it.mad times.

Mad times is right......i can remember one morning in the ASYLUM & a very early morning shut down of the Rave & their was a load of garda in the place but we kept on going from upstairs to downstairs & back up again not really giving a toss about the garda presence at all looking on the floors for anything we could pick up on the sly & then exit the place.......you see by the time the place was almost emptied with only about 100 people left we presumed that they presumed everyone had dithced everything cause they wernt doing any body searches on anyone & people were just getting their sh.it togehter before they left so why not grab a few yokes or lump of blow before baling out........really didnt give a fu.ck about the garda them times.

I rememebr another mate of mine from walkinstown (Froggy RIP) was nicked with 50 pink mad bastards (shi.te yokes) up around SIDES but still came into the ASYLUM later on when he got out & had a blast.

Another mate of mine (Doyler RIP) used to cycle from tallaght all the way into the ASYLUM fairly regularly at 5-6am if the Narcs had run out at whatever party they were at just to buy a whole load of yokes & cycle back to tallaght eyes like saucers......how in the name of jaysus he never got pulled is a miracle.

• Advertisement

I loed the rock garden-place was tiny held about 120 people, but a real family atmosphere

I loed the rock garden-place was tiny held about 120 people, but a real family atmosphere

Was that called eamonn dorans aswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yeah i remember that nite all to well unfortunately for all the wrong reasons as i was one of the ones who was lifted that nite,. Dickie Rocks daughter was down the station crying her eyes out, just my bleedin luck id a bag of 30 yokes (and my own personal stash) that i was supposed to pass onto someone else who hadn't yet arrived int he club when bang the music stops, lights go up and pigs everywhere, before i knew it im down Harcourt Terrace station in a cell and im coming up on 2 yokes (i double dropped about 15 mins before the raid) horrible nite, the pigs ripped the piss out of me something terrible they knew i was mad out of on yokes and tried to put the frighteners on me, ever since then and a few other bad experiences i despise the garda vermin.

But anyway :D yeah in general the Waterfront/Columbia Mills was deadly mostly Friday nites (thursdays were decent too)

Was that called eamonn dorans aswell??

years later-it was owned by the rock garden group, who were uk based-dermot doran bought it when they pulled out of dublin

Thought id throw up a few waterfront classics since were takin a trip down memory lane,heres on to start us off.

• Advertisement

years later-it was owned by the rock garden group, who were uk based-dermot doran bought it when they pulled out of dublin

Was only in it the once so.....was floating around town looking for somewhere after a pub i think & heard this and it was only just out i think,

The big pounding bassline drew me in & i had a fuc.king class night as we went back to my gaff & slaughtered a bottle of gin & whiskey before the next day came round & we then retired to the cherry tree in walkinstown to melt into the furniture.........ahh they dont have pubs like that around anymore where they welcome the mad out of it heads with open arms cause they know you will be there for the whole day parting with your cash.

Thought id throw up a few waterfront classics since were takin a trip down memory lane,heres on to start us off.

First place i heard this was in the WATERFRONT & i was wiped out of it when i heard it........was class,

Had to go out & get it on vinyl after i heard it first in there.

This tune epitimoses The Waterfront/Columbia Mills for me, one of the all time great Techno tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4joooH5tg

Another one that i remember being played.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This tune epitimoses The Waterfront/Columbia Mills for me, one of the all time great Techno tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4joooH5tg

I would have associated this with the ORMOND more my self but yes one of the all time great tunes alright.......i remember one night in the ORMOND it must have been on the two decks as it was played & mixed into each other for about 15 mins.

I would have associated this with the ORMOND more my self but yes one of the all time great tunes alright.......i remember one night in the ORMOND it must have been on the two decks as it was played & mixed into each other for about 15 mins.

ha that was a trick I used to pull! :D I'd keep the breakdown going between the 2

ha that was a trick I used to pull! :D I'd keep the breakdown going between the 2

Here can you ID this track for me off your mix from there at 18:30 into it.....im sure its not a hard one to ID but i dont know the name of it & always loved it,

francois_Waterfront_05th_03rd_1995.mp3

Here can you ID this track for me off your mix from there at 18:30 into it.....im sure its not a hard one to ID but i dont know the name of it & always loved it,

I think it's by Union Jack, some remix or something on platypus records perhaps-I'll wrack the grey matter when I get back and see if i can dig it up

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

First place i heard this was in the WATERFRONT & i was wiped out of it when i heard it........was class,

Had to go out & get it on vinyl after i heard it first in there.

If one tune reminds me of a time or place,this tune is the one that i think of when remembering the Waterfront.It just sticks out the most!

aceberg wrote: »
    Rite man help me out here if ya can .There's a few of these tracks wrecking my head.The 1st 7th and 14th i know i know them can't think of them at the minuate.Any ideas.And the 5th aswell is a top tune

This is all i can get so far:

1 Resistance D - Skyline (Bytes Mix)
    3 Slack - Painkiller
    6 Quartermain - Flow Motion
    11 Dj Hell-My Definition of house
    16 Trance Induction - N

Tnx Ace,11 and 16 were the two i was after;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

lol dodn't suppose u can fill in any on the blanks then:D
    sgtbilko01 wrote: »
    Tnx Ace,11 and 16 were the two i was after;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Art of Trance - Octopus

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ahh dont worry Seany......dont think you would be that upset if you had seen it just the once......i only frequented the place twice as far as i can remember & bunked into it one of those times but it didnt have that cutting edge feeling to it like the Raves did.......it was more a place for the pretty people in pretty clothes to go & be confident that they wouldnt get dirty or sweaty........there was a few Ravers alright but it was more of a feeling of a Nightclub i got off it than a Rave & there was far greater things happening just down the road to be pis.sing a night away in a posers club (sorry if i offended anyone)

Thats absolute bollix - yeah you were less likely to get stabbed or a shotgun stuck in your face but to suggest it was somewhere to look pretty is horse sh1t. Pretty much every Saturday night in there ended up like anywhere else decent at the time with the best in music, drugs & DJs. Much of the crowd there on a Saturday tended to be in the UFO on a Friday anyway... maybe they arrived looking somewhat respectable but they certainly didn't leave looking that way. I vividly remember the feeling to be on the dance floor there with the best techno banging out from the likes of Billy Nasty... stink of vicks and olbas oil and the floor absolutely heaving with 'ravers' who did not give a sh1t what they looked like as they were off their heads dancing.

Yes it was more of a club but that does not take away from the atmosphere experienced and the weekly DJ line up in its peak from 94 to early 96 speak volumes of the quality of nights that were had there. Maybe you were there when the Club FM crew took over and drove the place into the ground.

Have to agree with scubadevils,temple of sound was a great club with best names in dance music playing weekly with great local djs.I can remember when they had there first birthday gig on they took over most of the ground floor of the ormond hotel.There was a savage lineup inc.felix da housecat,phil perry,eric powell,rocky and diesel aswell as few others.There was no other club in dublin doing what they were doin at that time.

aceberg wrote: »
    lol dodn't suppose u can fill in any on the blanks then:D

I'll give it nuther listen 2mr,but im sure the only ones i could id were 1 and 3!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Have to agree with scubadevils,temple of sound was a great club with best names in dance music playing weekly with great local djs.I can remember when they had there first birthday gig on they took over most of the ground floor of the ormond hotel.There was a savage lineup inc.felix da housecat,phil perry,eric powell,rocky and diesel aswell as few others.There was no other club in dublin doing what they were doin at that time.

Yeah those nights where they opened the full hotel ground floor were unreal - I remember some blokes playing bongos around the reception area and tourists in the process of checking in while people hanging out chewing the faces off themselves! - mad actually that the hotel allowed that, not great for potential business for people staying there.

Eric Powell played some great nights there... I remember Rocky & Diesel the first time they played were unreal but the 2nd time was really poor, to the point where lots were asking Ken (the manager) to get them off - the music was just too light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Another mate of mine (Doyler RIP) used to cycle from tallaght all the way into the ASYLUM fairly regularly at 5-6am if the Narcs had run out at whatever party they were at just to buy a whole load of yokes & cycle back to tallaght eyes like saucers......how in the name of jaysus he never got pulled is a miracle.

:D

Thats absolute bollix - yeah you were less likely to get stabbed or a shotgun stuck in your face but to suggest it was somewhere to look pretty is horse sh1t. Pretty much every Saturday night in there ended up like anywhere else decent at the time with the best in music, drugs & DJs. Much of the crowd there on a Saturday tended to be in the UFO on a Friday anyway... maybe they arrived looking somewhat respectable but they certainly didn't leave looking that way. I vividly remember the feeling to be on the dance floor there with the best techno banging out from the likes of Billy Nasty... stink of vicks and olbas oil and the floor absolutely heaving with 'ravers' who did not give a sh1t what they looked like as they were off their heads dancing.

Yes it was more of a club but that does not take away from the atmosphere experienced and the weekly DJ line up in its peak from 94 to early 96 speak volumes of the quality of nights that were had there. Maybe you were there when the Club FM crew took over and drove the place into the ground.

I have to agree, whilst the Temple may not as been as intense as say Sides or the Asylum i cant recall ever having a bad night there and there certainly weren't any posers (the POD was the place then for posers)

Thats absolute bollix - yeah you were less likely to get stabbed or a shotgun stuck in your face but to suggest it was somewhere to look pretty is horse sh1t.
    Have to agree with scubadevils,temple of sound was a great club with best names in dance music playing weekly with great local djs..
    Yeah those nights where they opened the full hotel ground floor were unreal -.
    jonnny68 wrote: »
    I have to agree, whilst the Temple may not as been as intense as say Sides or the Asylum i cant recall ever having a bad night there and there certainly weren't any posers (the POD was the place then for posers)

I think this is old ground gone over again here & as i have said time & again im sure people had great nights wherever they were & i mean no offence but it just wouldnt be anywhere close to the top of my list of venues from the past.....i mean planty of people have said on these threads that the ASYLUM was a knackers hole full of aids ridden heroin junkies & viscious scumbags & also that i personally must have my brain fuc.ked from to many E's & i probably have aids from sharing needles in the ASYLUM etc etc etc etc...... but hey people are free to express whatever they like it doesnt bother me in the slightest because it doesnt take away from the experience's i had, enjoyed & remember. Sure if we all agreed the world would be a very dull place & it only adds to the banter anyway:)
    rainbow-peace-sign-flag.jpg?w=420&h=252

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Mmmmm....I am still a little unsure now cause i know for sure i used to go into Columbia Mills on saturday Nights & Francois & Timmy would be playing & we called it the WATERFRONT, not sure at all about UFO but that still leaves ALIEN unanswered as to where that was or if it was the same place:confused:

I always knew it as either Columbia Mills then the Waterfront. I thought UFO was another place but then heard it was another name for Wasterfront/Columbia Mills:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement