Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    I always knew it as either Columbia Mills then the Waterfront. I thought UFO was another place but then heard it was another name for Wasterfront/Columbia Mills:confused:

Columbia mills was the name of the building, when "funk off" was there, the waterfront was the name given to the venue when robbie wooton bought it (though the 2 names remained interchangeable) The venue housed various nights including UFO, Alien, Unknown Pleasures, Love, Planet Dub...Fridays was called the UFO, which was renamed to Alien after the raid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

francois wrote: »
    Columbia mills was the name of the building, when "funk off" was there, the waterfront was the name given to the venue when robbie wooton bought it (though the 2 names remained interchangeable) The venue housed various nights including UFO, Alien, Unknown Pleasures, Love, Planet Dub...Fridays was called the UFO, which was renamed to Alien after the raid

After all this talk about the Waterfront, UFO, Alien, Unknown pleasures, Love, Planet Dub, Columbia Mills...........i remember some time ago now Timmy told me there was a video knocking around of the place from around 1995........can you shed any light on that francois???:cool:

After all this talk about the Waterfront, UFO, Alien, Unknown pleasures, Love, Planet Dub, Columbia Mills...........i remember some time ago now Timmy told me there was a video knocking around of the place from around 1995........can you shed any light on that francois???:cool:

Some lads were doing a project and filmed stuff, I thought my co-promoter John had the tape but he doesn't, the only bits I know of are on the decade of dance program

Some lads were doing a project and filmed stuff, I thought my co-promoter John had the tape but he doesn't, the only bits I know of are on the decade of dance program

Thanks for that.....pity really as i only have the memory banks to recall the place by & the memory banks have taken a hammering over the years:pac::):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Thanks for that.....pity really as i only have the memory banks to recall the place by & the memory banks have taken a hammering over the years:pac::):D

That is usually the case when you used to shoot up in clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

Thats absolute bollix - yeah you were less likely to get stabbed or a shotgun stuck in your face but to suggest it was somewhere to look pretty is horse sh1t. Pretty much every Saturday night in there ended up like anywhere else decent at the time with the best in music, drugs & DJs. Much of the crowd there on a Saturday tended to be in the UFO on a Friday anyway... maybe they arrived looking somewhat respectable but they certainly didn't leave looking that way. I vividly remember the feeling to be on the dance floor there with the best techno banging out from the likes of Billy Nasty... stink of vicks and olbas oil and the floor absolutely heaving with 'ravers' who did not give a sh1t what they looked like as they were off their heads dancing.

Yes it was more of a club but that does not take away from the atmosphere experienced and the weekly DJ line up in its peak from 94 to early 96 speak volumes of the quality of nights that were had there. Maybe you were there when the Club FM crew took over and drove the place into the ground.

Well said scubs im sorry to say i only went there when pat o'keef took over (the wanker) lol but i did see dj trix & that was one of the best sets i ever heared but other wise it was a ****hole, them were the days :pac::pac: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

What was the deal with the bouncers?

aceberg wrote: »
    Art of Trance - Octopus

Ahh your a gent thanks for that Ace........now to hunt it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

What was the deal with the bouncers?

Yeah...what sort of deal? :cool:

bohsboy wrote: »
    Yeah...what sort of deal? :cool:

Mmmmm i would hazard a guess at paying the bouncers 40 quid each for the night to turn a blind eye at some ditribution of ;)supplies;) to the punters.

• Advertisement

Some classy characters in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Some classy characters in this thread.

I agree :o. Drug dealers? Scum of the earth. Check out how many stories are in this thread about old mates with "RIP" after them, mostly I presume due to drugs.

And before I get slaughtered, no, I never took E.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

This is a classic from years back,
    not heard that often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Francois, this is a bit of a longshot, but at either the first or second Homelands (I think it was the second one to be honest) you played fairly early on and played this really uplifting old school style piano track. think it had this same sample over and over again breaking in - in my memory it was "tech - tech - tech - t - techno", though my memory of such events is, unreliable...

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Funnily enough Al i prefer the other 2 tracks on the E.P. The Year 3000 and Music.Love them.:D
    This is a classic from years back,
    not heard that often...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

anybody able to put a name to this one? been after it a good while.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/YbgWCh-Y/hard_trance_1995000.html

<embed src="http://www.4shared.com/embed/299865489/9205cbe1&quot; width="320" height="200" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

haven't a clue of the name but nice track man, thanks;)

a148pro wrote: »
    Francois, this is a bit of a longshot, but at either the first or second Homelands (I think it was the second one to be honest) you played fairly early on and played this really uplifting old school style piano track. think it had this same sample over and over again breaking in - in my memory it was "tech - tech - tech - t - techno", though my memory of such events is, unreliable...

any ideas?

Sorry it doesn't ring any bells

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

bohsboy wrote: »
    I agree :o. Drug dealers? Scum of the earth. Check out how many stories are in this thread about old mates with "RIP" after them, mostly I presume due to drugs.

And before I get slaughtered, no, I never took E.

In fairness though clubbing without drugs would have been a very different experience for many - even those not on E etc got to experience the general euphoria of everyone else and as such 'buzzed' on that. I seriously doubt electronic music would have ever progressed the way it did without drugs.

Quite a fitting track for the subject :pac:

Empirion - Narcotic Influence

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

tdv123 wrote: »
    anybody able to put a name to this one? been after it a good while.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/YbgWCh-Y/hard_trance_1995000.html

<embed src="http://www.4shared.com/embed/299865489/9205cbe1&quot; width="320" height="200" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed>

Fast Food liquid emotions its a pressure tune

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=575056&ev=rb

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

locked 1 wrote: »
    Fast Food liquid emotions its a pressure tune

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=575056&ev=rb

thanks mate. been looking for the name of that one forever. cheers. :)

had a feelin it might be something of that label aswell. sounded very like the demonic emotions stuff

In fairness though clubbing without drugs would have been a very different experience for many - even those not on E etc got to experience the general euphoria of everyone else and as such 'buzzed' on that. I seriously doubt electronic music would have ever progressed the way it did without drugs.

Quite a fitting track for the subject :pac:

Empirion - Narcotic Influence

Totally true Scuba & a true ASYLUM belter.........the Rave back in the early days when the E's were a phenominal experience & the feeling off them so undescribable unless you actually took one certainly would not have been anything but another night club without them that would have lost its appeal very quickly, once i had discovered the OLYMPIC in mid 1992 & all the amazing Pills around at that time also it literally changed my perception of the world.......not just a tempoary sensation of 12+ hours that wore off eventually but something that gave me a hugley positive outlook & mindset every hour of every day from that day on & has stuck with me to this day.
    I do understand where bohsboy is coming from as i have put a few stories up here that reference mates with RIP after them & a lot of them would have been drug related & it saddens me when i think about a lot of them that are gone that i will never see or have a laugh/buzz with again but when i think back to the times i spent with them in the Raves i remember them nights with great feelings of joy & dont feel bitter towards the drugs we were on at them times.........i keep them positive memories as a tribute to my mates that i had so many great nights with because they were great nights had, regardless of how drugs cruelly took them away i will not let my good memories be over taken by the bad memories or their eventual deaths & the circumstances of them take away the good times we had.

To all my Mates i have lost & anyone else who has also lost anyone in these circumstances,

I Remember the good times for what they were & the bad times will never be dismissed or ignored. R.I.P.

Two tunes dedicated to one friend in particular,

A favorite from SIDES we had ;)(i can still picture in my head downstairs in SIDES near where the exit to the Jax is us facing towards the DJ giving it loads to this......beautiful memory)

Another favorite we had some trippy nights to ;)(you will never leave my memory & always be my friend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Kev k

any1 have josh wink - dont laugh on mp3?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Cheers for that, no wonder the place seemed different every time I was in it;)

Group backbreakers all round. Lighters in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

Kev k wrote: »
    any1 have josh wink - dont laugh on mp3?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jqkwnmjxmzn/Josh Wink - Don't Laugh.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

sgtbilko01 wrote: »

good track this;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

great post and pretty much sums up the way i would be as well :)
    Totally true Scuba & a true ASYLUM belter.........the Rave back in the early days when the E's were a phenominal experience & the feeling off them so undescribable unless you actually took one certainly would not have been anything but another night club without them that would have lost its appeal very quickly, once i had discovered the OLYMPIC in mid 1992 & all the amazing Pills around at that time also it literally changed my perception of the world.......not just a tempoary sensation of 12+ hours that wore off eventually but something that gave me a hugley positive outlook & mindset every hour of every day from that day on & has stuck with me to this day.
    I do understand where bohsboy is coming from as i have put a few stories up here that reference mates with RIP after them & a lot of them would have been drug related & it saddens me when i think about a lot of them that are gone that i will never see or have a laugh/buzz with again but when i think back to the times i spent with them in the Raves i remember them nights with great feelings of joy & dont feel bitter towards the drugs we were on at them times.........i keep them positive memories as a tribute to my mates that i had so many great nights with because they were great nights had, regardless of how drugs cruelly took them away i will not let my good memories be over taken by the bad memories or their eventual deaths & the circumstances of them take away the good times we had.

To all my Mates i have lost & anyone else who has also lost anyone in these circumstances,

I Remember the good times for what they were & the bad times will never be dismissed or ignored. R.I.P.

A favorite from SIDES we had ;)(i can still picture in my head downstairs in SIDES near where the exit to the Jax is us facing towards the DJ giving it loads to this......beautiful memory)

Another favorite we had some trippy nights to ;)(you will never leave my memory & always be my friend)

brilliant post & i think alot of ppl will share the same sentiment respect & R.I.P. to all our friends who hav passed & will be re-united in raver heaven :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    great post and pretty much sums up the way i would be as well :)
    Jonny its Marc add me on your facebook will ya or pm me your facebook page pls. thx m8 & how's the littel one...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement