Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I mentioned these in another thread recently but worth a mention here again for those that only read this one!

This is one that I haven't heard much over the years or even any real mention which is shocking!!!

3 Phase - Rota

And this I stumbled across again recently, big techno favourite of mine by Orlando Voorn

Format - Solid Session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

it was capricorn harakari 1994, same but just harder, thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

senan s wrote: »

Wow. That just brought me way back. What a tune. I can't remember what Pressure tape I heard that on, but I think it had Lionrock - Testify afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

SuprSi wrote: »
    Wow. That just brought me way back. What a tune. I can't remember what Pressure tape I heard that on, but I think it had Lionrock - Testify afterwards?

Yes i can remember more than once being upstairs in the ASYLUM on the second floor (street level) & you could always feel & hear the bass line off the tracks being banged out downstairs & when the bassline kicked in on this you would literally feel the floor vibrate under your feet.......quick toke & down the back stairs to enter the main dancefloor right beside the DJ box/room........

img_10.jpg

massive fu.ck off bass bin on your right as you entered the dancefloor (to the left in this pic) belting it out would hit you like a wall........great stuff,

img_01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

...are u jcarey that played asylum sides etc?

Yes that's me :D
    ...if so i loved ur sets,

Thanks ;)
    ...i remember a roomer yrs ago bk then about jay carey, he sold all his records and went mad religious.

Who told you that? Asshole whoever it was. Anyway I did sell all my tunes but I also started collecting them after I became a Christian, so the reason I ended up selling them wasn't because of that. To be honest I just got a pain in me bollix with the whole thing back then. I always loved the tunes (always will) but I got major pissed off with the clubs, drugs and looking at people I knew all my life turning into junkies and dying.

The early 90s Rave/Club scene started off great, best dance scene ever in Dublin imo. I used to be a Skin before that and went to all the Ska/Reggae/Mod dances/gigs years before the Raves started. But the Dance craze that hit Dublin in the early 90s was a brilliant time with no warfare and killing each other over drug selling and so on. This is what eventually turned me off the scene itself but the reason I sold my tunes was because we were starting a little family back then and we needed the money, simple as that.

However with the advent of the Internet and file sharing sites like Audio Galaxy etc a fews years later the way was opened to get all the tunes back (and then some) that I had sold (all be it in only digital format). I would still love to be back in my youth and able to buy tunes and do tapes in the bedroom but alas all I have time to do these days is work and look after the kids. But thank God for Youtube and file sharing technology :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

JCarey70 wrote: »

Thanks ;)

Who told you that? Asshole whoever it was. Anyway I did sell all my tunes but I also started collecting them after I became a Christian, so the reason I ended up selling them wasn't because of that. To be honest I just got a pain in me bollix with the whole thing back then. I always loved the tunes (always will) but I got major pissed off with the clubs, drugs and looking at people I knew all my life turning into junkies and dying.

The early 90s Rave/Club scene started off great, best dance scene ever in Dublin imo. I used to be a Skin before that and went to all the Ska/Reggae/Mod dances/gigs years before the Raves started. But the Dance craze that hit Dublin in the early 90s was a brilliant time with no warfare and killing each other over drug selling and so on. This is what eventually turned me off the scene itself but the reason I sold my tunes was because we were starting a little family back then and we needed the money, simple as that.

However with the advent of the Internet and file sharing sites like Audio Galaxy etc a fews years later the way was opened to get all the tunes back (and then some) that I had sold (all be it in only digital format). I would still love to be back in my youth and able to buy tunes and do tapes in the bedroom but alas all I have time to do these days is work and look after the kids. But thank God for Youtube and file sharing technology :D

Well said Jay & true as well & my friend Winnie bought a lot of tunes of you back then & still has them he has a on-line tech radio dublin its only up a short while & mostly live on fridays atm but plans to get on the air waves & this friday comming winnie & keith & hopefully ken brady will be spinning live playing all the best in the underground techno/trance/progressive anthems of the asylum/sides/ormound il post the link on friday its going to be special this week hopefully if everything works out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Thanks ;)

hows it goin jay mate, just want to say ive always been a fan of your mixes but have never seen ya live as i wasnt old enough to go to asylum etc. have ya been doin anythin recently, any oldskool gigs or anythin? would like to see ya live for the reason i stated above, let us know mate, cheers, es :)

es-cee wrote: »
    hows it goin jay mate, just want to say ive always been a fan of your mixes but have never seen ya live as i wasnt old enough to go to asylum etc. have ya been doin anythin recently, any oldskool gigs or anythin? would like to see ya live for the reason i stated above, let us know mate, cheers, es :)

The last Old Skule gigs I did was with Warren K, before that is was with Pat Hyland, both were about two years or so ago. Good craic so they were. I do the odd Wednesday night in the Hub/Mez (Temple Bar) playing my first love (music wise) - Reggae :D Next time I'm doing one of those I'll post it up, doubt anyone in here would be interested though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dirt bird

One of my favs from the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

Thanks ;)

yea thats wat i heard, cant remember who told me that, think im lucky 2 remember who i am never mind a roomer i heard yrs ago, ha, im not religious, but have my beliefs, my older bro is christian yrs..hes big in2 it, got some funny looks off him when he over heard romero la tormenta, had it blastin one day haha

• Advertisement

Yes i can remember more than once being upstairs in the ASYLUM on the second floor (street level) & you could always feel & hear the bass line off the tracks being banged out downstairs & when the bassline kicked in on this you would literally feel the floor vibrate under your feet.......quick toke & down the back stairs to enter the main dancefloor right beside the DJ box/room........

img_10.jpg

massive fu.ck off bass bin on your right as you entered the dancefloor (to the left in this pic) belting it out would hit you like a wall........great stuff,

img_01.jpg
    i remember the 2nd floor tilting, didnt know if it was the bass or the drugs i was on, leaning against the wall one nite, and when i took my hand away the paint came with it, ha, from the heat in the place, a friend of mine worked on the place when they turned it into a pool arcade sort of thing, he said it was structurely unsafe, they had to do major work on it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

The last Old Skule gigs I did was with Warren K, before that is was with Pat Hyland, both were about two years or so ago. Good craic so they were. I do the odd Wednesday night in the Hub/Mez (Temple Bar) playing my first love (music wise) - Reggae :D Next time I'm doing one of those I'll post it up, doubt anyone in here would be interested though :pac:

lol, good 1 jay.

yeah post it up mate, would be very interested in goin meself, as i said missed ya bitd for reasons outa my control lol.
    nice1 man, es :D

yea thats wat i heard, cant remember who told me that, think im lucky 2 remember who i am never mind a roomer i heard yrs ago, ha, im not religious, but have my beliefs

Hhhmmm. I had a fairly long post to reply to this but decided that it would be better not to post it here. If you want to read it then PM me and I'll reply to you with it. If not then no worries. Lets just stick to the subject of music without dragging this thread to a place that will get it closed.
    my older bro is christian yrs..hes big in2 it, got some funny looks off him when he over heard romero la tormenta, had it blastin one day haha

Are you sure that the funny looks weren't because this particular track is sh*te? :pac: Only messin, it's just not a track I'm particuallry fond of :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

playing my first love (music wise) - Reggae :D :pac:

I do like reggae meself but only in private......not really a gig i would think about goin to first off but it could be good......this is my fav reggae album that i have gotten great satisfaction from for years now,

R-1086630-1191181810.jpeg

Peter tosh - legalize it
    a friend of mine worked on the place when they turned it into a pool arcade sort of thing, he said it was structurely unsafe, they had to do major work on it,

I decided once to have a gander around the old place when it was the snooker hall for nostalgix reasons & the asian guy that was on working in the place was noticably uncomfortable with me just wandering round an empty snooker hall gazing into corners where there was nothing of interest......probably thought he was gonna get done over:eek:
    es-cee wrote: »
    as i said missed ya bitd for reasons outa my control lol.
    :D

Heard a story the other day from my brother in law.......he would be around 29 now & was telling me that back when the ASYLUM was kicking there was a disco put on by one of the local community orientated women called eileen from our old estate in the scouts hall for young uns.........he would have been 13 at the time roughly & he said they used to call it "Eileens ASYLUM" as they were to young to be allowed into town all night & were all jealous of that back then........i had never even heard that until the other day & have been friends with him for at least 10 -11 years now.

I do like reggae meself but only in private......not really a gig i would think about goin to first off but it could be good......this is my fav reggae album that i have gotten great satisfaction from for years now,

R-1086630-1191181810.jpeg

Peter tosh - legalize it

I decided once to have a gander around the old place when it was the snooker hall for nostalgix reasons & the asian guy that was on working in the place was noticably uncomfortable with me just wandering round an empty snooker hall gazing into corners where there was nothing of interest......probably thought he was gonna get done over:eek:

Heard a story the other day from my brother in law.......he would be around 29 now & was telling me that back when the ASYLUM was kicking there was a disco put on by one of the local community orientated women called eileen from our old estate in the scouts hall for young uns.........he would have been 13 at the time roughly & he said they used to call it "Eileens ASYLUM" as they were to young to be allowed into town all night & were all jealous of that back then........i had never even heard that until the other day & have been friends with him for at least 10 -11 years now.

I love reggae my self all types & use to a lot of gigs there use tobe one on every sunday in the old temple bar musichall cant rember its new name i rember going to see BUffalow Soldier ( bob marley tribute band) @ midnight in the olimpia when u cud smoke in doors LoL & we all took a load of 'E' & it was a brilliant nite & if u closed your eyes you wud think it was bob singing he was that good & another nite i went see Black URUhu there as well they are class live this was back in 95/96 when the band was all still togeather & i use to love all the reggae films lik "The harder they come, The harder they Fall" with Jimmy Cliff & theres a few other classics but cant rember the name atm.... JAH RASTA i'd hav dreads only for my head out grew my hair LOL

Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

P.S.
    Thats a cool story bout the under age disco

Are you sure that the funny looks weren't because this particular track is sh*te? :pac: Only messin, it's just not a track I'm particuallry fond of :)

LOL

Hows the form Jay :)

Post thm up i love my Reggae & u never know i might pop in ojne nite when i get back from Ibiza il be going this sat. 2 weeks so saving all my cash but am going to try 7 go to the Kitchen re-union next week as an Ibiza warm up LoL

DUB33 wrote: »
    Post thm up i love my Reggae & u never know i might pop in ojne nite when i get back from Ibiza il be going this sat. 2 weeks so saving all my cash but am going to try 7 go to the Kitchen re-union next week as an Ibiza warm up LoL

too many things on next weekend, was to head up to the kelly's reunion, but got my weekends mixed up with the kids,

you heading to the shaft reunion marc??

DUB33 wrote: »
    I love reggae my self all types & use to a lot of gigs there use tobe one on every sunday in the old temple bar musichall cant rember its new name

Its now called The Button Factory. Head Quaters of the Worries Outernational Sound System who still play there every Sunday night.

• Advertisement

senan s wrote: »
    LOL

Hows the form Jay :)

Not to bad Senan thanks. Working away and keeping the wolf from the door you know yourself. How are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

Its now called The Button Factory. Head Quaters of the Worries Outernational Sound System who still play there every Sunday night.

Firehouse skank used to be a great midweek reggae club

Hhhmmm. I had a fairly long post to reply to this but decided that it would be better not to post it here. If you want to read it then PM me and I'll reply to you with it. If not then no worries. Lets just stick to the subject of music without dragging this thread to a place that will get it closed. of course

. oh me either, tracks that were good/popular then aint so good nowadays.had it on a pressure tape.

Hhhmmm. I had a fairly long post to reply to this but decided that it would be better not to post it here. If you want to read it then PM me and I'll reply to you with it. If not then no worries. Lets just stick to the subject of music without dragging this thread to a place that will get it closed.

jay what would be your top 3 or 5 hard house/trance tracks from bk in the day?

francois wrote: »
    Firehouse skank used to be a great midweek reggae club

Yeah, I used to go there a lot in the early to mid 90s. Paul Fingleton and Dotsy were the regular selectors back then. Top tunes all night. They're still doing gigs, although Dotsy had defected to the Worries crew years ago, its just Paul and Enda who spin now. Check their myspace profile for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

Yeah, I used to go there a lot in the early to mid 90s. Paul Fingleton and Dotsy were the regular selectors back then. Top tunes all night. They're still doing gigs, although Dotsy had defected to the Worries crew years ago, its just Paul and Enda who spin now. Check their myspace profile for more info.

Couldn't believe it when it was in the basement of the parnell mooney, how the management let everyone spliff up, the waft of grass would spill out onto the street

jay what would be your top 3 or 5 hard house/trance tracks from bk in the day?

That's a toughy but I'll give it a go. These are just some that spring to mind. In no particualr order:

Lion Rock - Lionrock

The Future Sound of London - Papua New Guine

Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch (this mix but with the beats)

Leftfield - Not Forgotten (Favoite break ever @ 2.17)

Soul Odyssey - Rapture

Crunch - 50 c

Deja Vu - Never knew the devil

Jambo - Drumattack (loving the break @ 2.02)

Egg Bam Yasi - bubble

I could go on all bleedin night but here's a few from an even earlier time:

Pyschotropic - Hypnosis

The Hypnotists - Rainbows in the Sky

A Homeby a Hippy and a Funky Dread - Total Confusion

Live at the Brain - Ramjam

Mk - Scensory Deception

The Formula - Exploded (Club Mix)

Man Machine - Animal

Stakker - Humanoid

Masters of the Universe - Space talk (What a f*ckin record)

There are loads more but have to leg it out now. Njoy...

francois wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it when it was in the basement of the parnell mooney, how the management let everyone spliff up, the waft of grass would spill out onto the street

Put it this way, you wouldn't have needed street lamps to find the place :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Put it this way, you wouldn't have needed street lamps to find the place :D

Jay I see you mentioned Horizons by LTJ Bukem in one of the other threads - have you heard this which was made 2 years before Horizons? They both have their own magic!

Lemon Sol - Sunflash

http://www.discogs.com/Lemon-Sol-Environmental-Architecture/release/14775

• Advertisement

Jay I see you mentioned Horizons by LTJ Bukem in one of the other threads - have you heard this which was made 2 years before Horizons? They both have their own magic!

Lemon Sol - Sunflash

http://www.discogs.com/Lemon-Sol-Environmental-Architecture/release/14775

Never heard it but really liking it. Lovely stuff. Gonna grab the album, some really nice stuff on it.

Reminds me of this sort of stuff

Global Communications - Gamma Phase (loving this long time, put it on after you come back from a hard night on the tiles - very mellow though - we should probably start an ambient thread ;))

Another one of my all time favs

Eddie Flashin Folks - T.M.F 61 (Detroit Techno from 1996)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement