Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :D Truth spoken m8!!! ..... I reckon those that refered to it as the above either didn't get it or started to get it too late.....end of the day it was ours it was unique it was indeed our sanctuary.......so it must've been full of mad ourrivit junkie skangers AND US!!! lol

Really is a pity i think anyone that was actually there but formed that opinion of the place & nothing else as they really missed out on the most fundamental experience they could have in their life, sure it was full of junkie skangers but once you emmersed yourself in the experience of the bottom floor it was another world & had plenty more to it that made the place an amazing feeling that was utterly profound. Few of us have ever had the experience of a truly euphoric state, where our mind shifts up a gear & a new realm of existence is suddenly visible. Your mind is spinning so fast that you rise up, above everyday life, and suddenly everything you are embroiled in day to day & passes you by is laid out below you in crystal clarity. But such moments are all too brief & hard to come by & are truly a privilege to the person to have ever been so lucky to have had conditions around create such a perception changing state come their way. Then we fall back into chaos again being fed & inundated with images & messages of what we want, what we like, what we feel, and hungry for those brief moments of clarity to remove you from the attempted brainwashing that is more than prevalent everyday. It seems as if there are two realms of existence, one grounded in our ordinary consumer driven image conscious self absorbed lives, and another high above in an upper dimension of omnipotence & omniscience. This state of perception altering existence is what the bottom floor of the ASYLUM created & is something that will remain with me forever.

aceberg wrote: »
    Tis alrite.

Any ideas
    How do i upload it so it appears in the post as a picture

You know when your on a reply screen....across the top there is a little yellow & grey square with a tiny pic of what looks like a mountain top, you click this & paste in the web address of the pic in to the window that appears when you click it.....in this case you have upped it to Boards.ie & the web address for this is,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/97572/127295.png

You can get this address by right clicking on it when you have attached it & copying the address, then paste it into the windoe after pressing the icon on the reply screen & it will appear like this,

127295.png
    ive givin up on that fukin tape anyway,lol, locked said it was pressure and mick walsh live at sides,think he mentioned hes gona give it to u to upload..how do ya put tape on2 mp3 format anyway,hows that done?

Buy one of these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Connection-Cable-3-5mm-Jack/dp/B0009V8W7I

Plug one end into the headphone out on your stereo playing the tape & the other to the 'Line in' on the back of yer PC, then get some software like this,

http://www.amazon.com/Magix-Entertainment-639191131479-Audio-Cleaning/dp/B000V7UY2G

The rest is a matter of getting used to controlling the sound going in & trail & error getting to grips with cleaning & enhancing old audio......youll get there in the end.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

heres an aul fav of mine, they just don't make trance like this anymore.

crackin tune this for any1 whos into beats, was released in '94.

Really is a pity i think anyone that was actually there but formed that opinion of the place & nothing else as they really missed out on the most fundamental experience they could have in their life, sure it was full of junkie skangers but once you emmersed yourself in the experience of the bottom floor it was another world & had plenty more to it that made the place an amazing feeling that was utterly profound. Few of us have ever had the experience of a truly euphoric state, where our mind shifts up a gear & a new realm of existence is suddenly visible. Your mind is spinning so fast that you rise up, above everyday life, and suddenly everything you are embroiled in day to day & passes you by is laid out below you in crystal clarity. But such moments are all too brief & hard to come by & are truly a privilege to the person to have ever been so lucky to have had conditions around create such a perception changing state come their way. Then we fall back into chaos again being fed & inundated with images & messages of what we want, what we like, what we feel, and hungry for those brief moments of clarity to remove you from the attempted brainwashing that is more than prevalent everyday. It seems as if there are two realms of existence, one grounded in our ordinary consumer driven image conscious self absorbed lives, and another high above in an upper dimension of omnipotence & omniscience. This state of perception altering existence is what the bottom floor of the ASYLUM created & is something that will remain with me forever.
    the end.;)

i'm all for what your on about key, positivity and all that stuff thru experience but. i know loads of people and i mean loads who are strung out to bits because of the asylum. E casualties who couldn't hack the come down, now i'm not blamin it entirely on the venue because every1 has their own mind and can make decisions for themselves but, it played a big part in their decissions because of the availability of these substances inside the place and any1 who tries to tell me otherwise is a liar plain and simple. i have a few cousins who will remain anonymous for abvious reasons that are ****ed up mentally and physically thru addiction because of the asylum, so it wasn't all peaches and cream man. i'm not one for dissin any place or where any1 got their kicks bitd but that place is single handedly responsible for the majority of the junkies around my way and thats a fact man.
    now i'm an avid oldskool lover music wise which is why i joined this thread in the 1st place but when ya have family members fukked up because of a venue thats closed 16 years and they're still in **** makes me wonder was it really worth it for them like???
    amyway i mean no harm by this post to any asylum head here, just needed to get this off my chest when i seen your post about the euphoric experience it was claimed to be so sorry if i offend any1 yeah :o

es-cee wrote: »
    it wasn't all peaches and cream man.:o

I hear ya sean......i am not ignorant to the outcome of such intensive use of class A's & the draw the place had that hooked people to return again & again religiously as i did say in my original post that yes it did have all the stuff that is said again & againabout it, but what i was getting at was that there was all that for sure but also the most profound experience that could be gained was also which i tried to explain in words in my last post.

The fact is i can never come close to communicating what was created on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM but it was something that has never been & will never be felt again.

People beleive in all sorts of spirtual practices in the hope to be able to gain enlightenment & be touched on a level that exist outside of the world as we know it, i am saying that such a feeling was there on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM when the right conditions were created it was like being taken to another level of perception & existence.

It did screw many people up mentally i acknowledge because i know a few that never came back from the edge after the days of 48 hour partying full of top notch class A's but there was also the unexplainable amazing feeling that was there that has been so impressionable on so many. The second floor had across the end wall over a pic of a baby in a straight jacket this saying,

"The ASYLUM, a safe sanctuary for the insane"

I will leave you with this though, when it was eventually closed the judge that passed the order to revoke the license permanently & pass sentence on some of the bouncers etc said,

"The ASYLUM is a den of iniquity"

It was so much to so many......good & bad.

• Advertisement

I hear ya sean......i am not ignorant to the outcome of such intensive use of class A's & the draw the place had that hooked people to return again & again religiously as i did say in my original post that yes it did have all the stuff that is said again & againabout it, but what i was getting at was that there was all that for sure but also the most profound experience that could be gained was also which i tried to explain in words in my last post.

The fact is i can never come close to communicating what was created on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM but it was something that has never been & will never be felt again.

People beleive in all sorts of spirtual practices in the hope to be able to gain enlightenment & be touched on a level that exist outside of the world as we know it, i am saying that such a feeling was there on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM when the right conditions were created it was like being taken to another level of perception & existence.

It did screw many people up mentally i acknowledge because i know a few that never came back from the edge after the days of 48 hour partying full of top notch class A's but there was also the unexplainable amazing feeling that was there that has been so impressionable on so many. The second floor had across the end wall over a pic of a baby in a straight jacket this saying,

"The ASYLUM, a safe sanctuary for the insane"

I will leave you with this though, when it was eventually closed the judge that passed the order to revoke the license permanently & pass sentence on some of the bouncers etc said,

"The ASYLUM is a den of iniquity"

It was so much to so many......good & bad.

den of iniquity is an accurate description mate from the examples i have around me everyday because of the place. i don't know one person who got strung out becauce of the temple which was my spot as i'm not as old as the majority on here, but i know loads from the asylum. as i said every1 has a choice and the venue can't be blamed entirely, but it had a very big part to play in the demise of so many people my family included so i don't share your total optimisim about the place mate as euphoric as it was supposed to be or not.
    as i said before, no disrespect intended people, just my point of view from 1st hand experience yeah.

but it had a very big part to play in the demise of so many people my family included so i don't share your total optimisim about the place mate as euphoric as it was supposed to be or not.

Im not being insensitive here sean by repeating what i have said cause i do hear ya & acknowledge everything your saying,

The place left an aftermath in a lot of peoples lives alright & that cant & will not be ignored......the bastard heroin has affected many people i know & has killed close friends also that went to the ASYLUM with me so it is not lost on me how the knock on effects ruins lives but still everything i have said was there on that bottom floor that made such an everlasting impression in peoples minds.

Im not taking away from how it has affected you & your family personaly just speaking from the heart at what it had that made it so enduring in peoples minds........it certainly wasnt all goodicon13.gif but also it certainly wasnt all badicon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Is mise le key;67973069]Really is a pity i think anyone that was actually there but formed that opinion of the place & nothing else as they really missed out on the most fundamental experience they could have in their life, sure it was full of junkie skangers but once you emmersed yourself in the experience of the bottom floor it was another world & had plenty more to it that made the place an amazing feeling that was utterly profound. Few of us have ever had the experience of a truly euphoric state, where our mind shifts up a gear & a new realm of existence is suddenly visible. Your mind is spinning so fast that you rise up, above everyday life, and suddenly everything you are embroiled in day to day & passes you by is laid out below you in crystal clarity. But such moments are all too brief & hard to come by & are truly a privilege to the person to have ever been so lucky to have had conditions around create such a perception changing state come their way. Then we fall back into chaos again being fed & inundated with images & messages of what we want, what we like, what we feel, and hungry for those brief moments of clarity to remove you from the attempted brainwashing that is more than prevalent everyday. It seems as if there are two realms of existence, one grounded in our ordinary consumer driven image conscious self absorbed lives, and another high above in an upper dimension of omnipotence & omniscience. This state of perception altering existence is what the bottom floor of the ASYLUM created & is something that will remain with me forever.

You know when your on a reply screen....across the top there is a little yellow & grey square with a tiny pic of what looks like a mountain top, you click this & paste in the web address of the pic in to the window that appears when you click it.....in this case you have upped it to Boards.ie & the web address for this is,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/97572/127295.png

You can get this address by right clicking on it when you have attached it & copying the address, then paste it into the windoe after pressing the icon on the reply screen & it will appear like this,

127295.png

Cheers Man thks for the info.

Better give it a go so.

No still confused.When i click the yellow and grey box i insert the address of the site i want to u/l on to,is this correct.

Im not being insensitive here sean by repeating what i have said cause i do hear ya & acknowledge everything your saying,

The place left an aftermath in a lot of peoples lives alright & that cant & will not be ignored......the bastard heroin has affected many people i know & has killed close friends also that went to the ASYLUM with me so it is not lost on me how the knock on effects ruins lives but still everything i have said was there on that bottom floor that made such an everlasting impression in peoples minds.

Im not taking away from how it has affected you & your family personaly just speaking from the heart at what it had that made it so enduring in peoples minds........it certainly wasnt all goodicon13.gif but also it certainly wasnt all badicon14.gif

ah im with ya there key, as ive said in my previous posts every1 has their own mind to make decisions for themselves, its just a shame so many made the wrong one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Terrible that the good memories from yesteryear are mirrored which grief. I too have an inlaw who is still dabbling from the 'Rave Days'. He never went to the Asylum only the Olympic. I do remember vividly Heroin making a break through around 1994. However I had around 10 mates, both fellas and girls who got strung out around 1994/5. And believe it or not only a coulpe went raving. Unfortunatley them 'dens of iniquety' were awash with all and sundry. I never seen gear been sold but have no doubt it was available. I chose to stick close to the speakers.

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    I never seen gear been sold but have no doubt it was available. I chose to stick close to the speakers.

The speakers by the door to the back stairs???

I sh.it you not i remember one night in there just as you went out them doors to the back stairs by the DJ box this bird in her finest libertys accent shouting,

"Want any acid, E, Hash, Coke, Speed, Gear"

I was sorted before i went in so didnt buy off her but that always stayed with me, that bird was walking around the ASYLUM with every class A for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

I sh.it you not i remember one night in there just as you went out them doors to the back stairs by the DJ box this bird in her finest libertys accent shouting,

I was sorted before i went in so didnt buy off her but that always stayed with me, that bird was walking around the ASYLUM with every class A for sale.
    yeah...wasnt it great..sigh...never did gear,never wud,but curiousity is a mother ****er,so many friends who are fuked on it,dead prison etc,glad i quit all of that n blanked all of them,besides them been strung out,wat a bunch of priks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Kev k

jasus i wudnt b able 2 imagine if the club dealers were like dat now,ive only been goin 2 raves 4 about 2 years(only a young lad 17,got no mad storys from back in the day:( ) and usuallyhav 2 get sorted b4 i go out or if ur lucky der mite be sumtin round..wile were talkin bou drugs,took dem red roosters( or pink cocks) and hav 2 say dey hav a real nice buzz,love buzz was floating around smiling and dancin the whole nite..and no skag or harsh come down:D

Cheers Man thks for the info.

Better give it a go so.

No still confused.When i click the yellow and grey box i insert the address of the site i want to u/l on to,is this correct.

No no no........see the way you already attached that pic on yer post bbut it wasnt displayed in the post, the attachment itself has a web address.......click the attachment in your post,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67956822&postcount=10136

Now when the window opens showing you the Pic, the address across the address bar at the top of your screen is what you have to paste into the window that appears when you click the grey & yellow icon on your reply screen, it will them insert the image into the body of your post as an image & not just an attachment......hope i am explaining clearly.

No no no........see the way you already attached that pic on yer post bbut it wasnt displayed in the post, the attachment itself has a web address.......click the attachment in your post,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67956822&postcount=10136

Now when the window opens showing you the Pic, the address across the address bar at the top of your screen is what you have to paste into the window that appears when you click the grey & yellow icon on your reply screen, it will them insert the image into the body of your post as an image & not just an attachment......hope i am explaining clearly.

Ok here goes i'll give it another go.127592.jpg

Ah yeah deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Advertisement

127592.jpg

whos this then ace?

whos this then ace?

Dunsink YC.

AUL Div 1 Champions 2009-2010.

This aint bad either

nice1 yeaqh, im after gettin big into liquid funk dnb lately, all new stuff, see what ya think of this.

bitta oldskool dnb as well from the legend himself

Ok here goes i'll give it another go.127592.jpg

Ah yeah deadly.

That's Ace with the blue top on :p;)

I hope :D

Just reading through this old rave history article about the scene in Dublin, and I can relate to a lot of it.
    http://www.fantazia.org.uk/Scene/orgs/ireland.htm
    What was it like then? Firstly, it's fairly important to paint a picture of the dance scenes status in society back then. It hadn't much representation in the media, no TV programmes, no books, no club listings in evening papers and a far cry away from any full length movies. Undocumented, unknown, underground. So to walk into a crowd of 1000+ nutters dancing like no one's watching, with lasers flying overhead, music from the next century and strangers instantly becoming best friends was an exhilarating slap in the face, like walking into another dimension, let in on one big secret. Even buzzing about town on a Saturday afternoon and catching the eye of someone similarly clad would warrant a knowing smile. This is where the real magic lay, what created such a gargantuan atmosphere, everyone on the same level, going
    through that initial honeymoon phase together.

Just before the ballroom closed down, a new three level, all night club called the Asylum opened and that's exactly what it was. It bore witness to the first batch of E casualties, burnt out ravers desperately chasing that initial rush, the dawning realisation that nothing this good lasts forever painted across their jaded faces. However, a fresh batch always arrived to fill the void and this new crowd kept the balance in check. The Asylum also welcomed in a new batch of DJ's. Dilly, the then Northern Ireland mixing champ, took residency in the Asylum along with Dublin's Ed case, Warren K and Pressure. The clubs eventual downfall was its very open display as a drug haven and was soon shut down.

nice1 yeaqh, im after gettin big into liquid funk dnb lately, all new stuff, see what ya think of this.

Yeah not bad at all.Like the way it sets out.
    That's Ace with the blue top on :p;)

I hope :D

Spot on Paddy hiding behind the camera mans finger.

Jasus i used to love this type of stuff.Was played on coast fm on a friday evening.

• Advertisement

Yeah not bad at all.Like the way it sets out.

Spot on Paddy hiding behind the camera mans finger.

Jasus i used to love this type of stuff.Was played on coast fm on a friday evening.

i still like it man lol, if your still into poundin the ears off yourself come over to www.onlyoldskool.com for techno tuesday every 2nd tuesday on the radio. next tuesday its back again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement