Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Just reading through this old rave history article about the scene in Dublin, and I can relate to a lot of it.
    http://www.fantazia.org.uk/Scene/orgs/ireland.htm

Jaysus I like to think of myself as articulate but I just couldnt put that into better words myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

tdv123 wrote: »

I think the 1 at 4:40 is The KGB - The Beat

I think the 1 at 746 is The KGB - IT'S ABOUT TIME

And i think the last 1 is Big Band Experience - No Stoppin

1 r too others are familiar aswell.But the aul mind is not what it used to be.35 now i'm ****ed...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

es-cee wrote: »
    i'm all for what your on about key, positivity and all that stuff thru experience but. i know loads of people and i mean loads who are strung out to bits because of the asylum. E casualties who couldn't hack the come down, now i'm not blamin it entirely on the venue because every1 has their own mind and can make decisions for themselves but, it played a big part in their decissions because of the availability of these substances inside the place and any1 who tries to tell me otherwise is a liar plain and simple. i have a few cousins who will remain anonymous for abvious reasons that are ****ed up mentally and physically thru addiction because of the asylum, so it wasn't all peaches and cream man. i'm not one for dissin any place or where any1 got their kicks bitd but that place is single handedly responsible for the majority of the junkies around my way and thats a fact man.
    now i'm an avid oldskool lover music wise which is why i joined this thread in the 1st place but when ya have family members fukked up because of a venue thats closed 16 years and they're still in **** makes me wonder was it really worth it for them like???
    amyway i mean no harm by this post to any asylum head here, just needed to get this off my chest when i seen your post about the euphoric experience it was claimed to be so sorry if i offend any1 yeah :o

Blaming the Asylum or even the rave scene for people being strung out demonstrates a lack of understanding about addiction. I have plenty of M8's from those days who are still strung out, some went to the asylum some never went to any clubs or raves but still transitioned from e's to heroin or coke. The asylum was part of a sub culture which of course naturally attracted addicts as it fed their natural sense of being different and not belonging to society. Same as a lot of the first wave of heroin addicts in Dublin would have been involved in the punk scene. Make no mistake about it addiction isn't in the substance its in the person. If the rave scene had never existed and the drugs that came with it hadn't been around there is a high chance that your family members would have just become alcoholic or found a different focus for addiction. Most probably started smoking gear in parties after the asylum had closed down, none of my friends who are strung out used gear for the first time in there.

The asylum was a haven for outsiders, a dangerous and dirty place that allowed a sense of freedom that no club ever has or probably ever will again. I came from a middle class background and as was often pointed out to me in there spoke with a really posh accent lol but I never ever felt threatened in anyway. Yes there were gangs and yes dealers but if you didn't mess around with them they didn't mess you around. It's really hard to put words on the feeling I got in the middle of the dance floor in that place, the sign said freedom to dance but for me it went far beyond that. In there, top off, dripping with sweat was the first true sense of belonging I had ever experienced. yes it was heavily chemically influenced but there was a bond that existed between us that went far beyond the chemical euphoria. To feel the crowd moving to the beat in such a confined space almost like a single entity of pure energy and knowing that nobody cared what you were doing or how you were dancing, no pretense, no judgement just like minded people, sharing in an experience. I have often tried to form a coherent thought stream that would come close to describing what that place felt like but have never as yet even come close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

stephen_n wrote: »

I have often tried to form a coherent thought stream that would come close to describing what that place felt like but have never as yet even come close!

I fully understand where your coming from with that, it is impossible to really describe in words what was created on the bottom floor when it was in full flight........it was akin to Clarity, Purity & the music wasnt just being played at you, it was almost like it was unfolding in a direction, menatally taking you to somewhere that you were anticipating but that somewhere had a significance to it that you were aware of but didnt know where.

Ahhhh i dont know why i attempted to expalin it again.........it touched something deep inside my mind for sure.

Blaming the Asylum or even the rave scene for people being strung out demonstrates a lack of understanding about addiction. I have plenty of M8's from those days who are still strung out, some went to the asylum some never went to any clubs or raves but still transitioned from e's to heroin or coke. The asylum was part of a sub culture which of course naturally attracted addicts as it fed their natural sense of being different and not belonging to society. Same as a lot of the first wave of heroin addicts in Dublin would have been involved in the punk scene. Make no mistake about it addiction isn't in the substance its in the person. If the rave scene had never existed and the drugs that came with it hadn't been around there is a high chance that your family members would have just become alcoholic or found a different focus for addiction. Most probably started smoking gear in parties after the asylum had closed down, none of my friends who are strung out used gear for the first time in there.

The asylum was a haven for outsiders, a dangerous and dirty place that allowed a sense of freedom that no club ever has or probably ever will again. I came from a middle class background and as was often pointed out to me in there spoke with a really posh accent lol but I never ever felt threatened in anyway. Yes there were gangs and yes dealers but if you didn't mess around with them they didn't mess you around. It's really hard to put words on the feeling I got in the middle of the dance floor in that place, the sign said freedom to dance but for me it went far beyond that. In there, top off, dripping with sweat was the first true sense of belonging I had ever experienced. yes it was heavily chemically influenced but there was a bond that existed between us that went far beyond the chemical euphoria. To feel the crowd moving to the beat in such a confined space almost like a single entity of pure energy and knowing that nobody cared what you were doing or how you were dancing, no pretense, no judgement just like minded people, sharing in an experience. I have often tried to form a coherent thought stream that would come close to describing what that place felt like but have never as yet even come close!

Have to agree with you Stephen.Don't think you can blame the Asylum.Sure i would say there are more people strung out now than when the Asylum was in full swing.So we can't blame the Asylium for that as it no longer exists.People will still trun to herion for many years to come.and that aint the fault of the Asylum.

i really think ppl see the asylum as if it were one of the 7 wonders.a temple of worship,or something,ppl who went know its a drty kip,the only bond or experience there was. was drug related,(love buzz),i went coz of the freedom,to get off my brain,and dance to the tech.house..sounds that were played there.if u ask me most of the mixin wasnt that good,not by todays standards or bk then.and i know these days theres lot of cd mixin,which pretty much does it for u...it was brilliant,bliss.europhoric and all that,.i see it for was it is. a nightclub where security turned blind eye 2 popin pills,skinnin up..thats the place id of dreamed of when i was a teen,if the asylum never exited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

the asylum played a big part in addiction back then lad, the majority of people i know who are strung out all got it in there and were offered it for the 1st time in there.
    i really think ppl see the asylum as if it were one of the 7 wonders.a temple of worship,or something,ppl who went know its a drty kip,the only bond or experience there was. was drug related,(love buzz),i went coz of the freedom,to get off my brain,and dance to the tech.house..sounds that were played there.if u ask me most of the mixin wasnt that good,not by todays standards or bk then.and i know these days theres lot of cd mixin,which pretty much does it for u...it was brilliant,bliss.europhoric and all that,.i see it for was it is. a nightclub where security turned blind eye 2 popin pills,skinnin up..thats the place id of dreamed of when i was a teen,if the asylum never exited

at last some1 who is totally honest about what kind of place it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

aceberg wrote: »
    I think the 1 at 4:40 is The KGB - The Beat

I think the 1 at 746 is The KGB - IT'S ABOUT TIME

And i think the last 1 is Big Band Experience - No Stoppin

1 r too others are familiar aswell.But the aul mind is not what it used to be.35 now i'm ****ed...lol

Cheers mate. any idea what mix of "It's About Time" that is? wasn't on the original release but it deffo sounds like a remix of it.

got the one at 7:10 aswell was a mix of Mr Roy - Saved.

haha i know the feeling mate.

• Advertisement

Well all i can really say to that is do you not think that i am being honest in everything i have said i got from the place & experienced??

I never have denied it was a dirty kip full of dangerous fuc.kers but there was everything i have tried to convey in my posts also & if you missed that while you where there then thats mores the pity as you didnt really get what has made this place so enduring, all you seen was another 10 a penny dirty kip.

To try & somehow put across that the unforgettable feeling that was had by many people that frequented the place as a false representation of the place is totally arrogant & naive, no body can tell me that i didnt get from it what i have described & then only offer up a negative portrayal of it as the only alternative when i was fuc.king there and experienced it first hand every weekend for a year.

I do understand that many lads most likeley ended up on gear as a result of progressing through drugs & it was easier to end up being tempted in a place that disregarded all the rules, but it could have happened anyway, good friends of mine that went to the ASYLUM with me only got into it well after the ASYLUM closed its doors & the heroin came from a source that had no connection to the Raves whatsoever.

temple of sound.often heard this track played there,,mark dixon..roberto mello.and i think billy scurry played this too at the start of the night..i like house music..

Im looking for a track ID and heres all i have to go on,

It goes like this & is from back mid to early 90's, Girls voice in german (guessing at the spelling of the words here),

Alto manfichene six,
    Alto manfichene six,
    Alto manfichene, Alto manfichene, Alto manfichene six, six, six,

(some music in between here and then)

Ein bitte dagenswein helden, dagenswein helden, dagenswein helden.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

temple of sound.often heard this track played there,,mark dixon..roberto mello.and i think billy scurry played this too at the start of the night..i like house music..

Reminds me alright of early in the night in the Temple of Sound, maybe that Valhalla night they used to do on a Thursday, think that was with Mark Dixon?... wandered into that sometimes when too impatient to wait for the Friday in there or UFO :D

Heres a big Temple of Sound classic, remember the place going nuts to this... especially when it kicks in around 5 minutes. I know I've mentioned this before but such feckin memories every time I listen to it!

God Within - The Phoenix

dont think i remember that 1, havent heard any of the good techno they played from t.o.s,can u think of any good house track/techno that was played from there?

And one last Temple of Sound gem before I hit the hay... defo in my top 10 best techno tunes ever!

Vapourspace - Gravitational Arch Of 10

Well all i can really say to that is do you not think that i am being honest in everything i have said i got from the place & experienced??

I never have denied it was a dirty kip full of dangerous fuc.kers but there was everything i have tried to convey in my posts also & if you missed that while you where there then thats mores the pity as you didnt really get what has made this place so enduring, all you seen was another 10 a penny dirty kip.

To try & somehow put across that the unforgettable feeling that was had by many people that frequented the place as a false representation of the place is totally arrogant & naive, no body can tell me that i didnt get from it what i have described & then only offer up a negative portrayal of it as the only alternative when i was fuc.king there and experienced it first hand every weekend for a year.

I do understand that many lads most likeley ended up on gear as a result of progressing through drugs & it was easier to end up being tempted in a place that disregarded all the rules, but it could have happened anyway, good friends of mine that went to the ASYLUM with me only got into it well after the ASYLUM closed its doors & the heroin came from a source that had no connection to the Raves whatsoever.

that last post wasnt directed at you key, so sorry if i'm doin your head in about somethin that as far as i was concerned was finished with days ago. but it was brought up by another person and a direct message was aimed at my family and i wasnt just gonna let it slide without an answer man thats all, never said ya were bein dishonest, hence the fact i didn't quote your post with an answer.
    i still stand by what i said in the other post tho as far as people getin strung out because of the place, that goes without sayin.
    anyway mate, this conversation should'nt have been brought up again anyway as it was finished with a few pages ago, and if it was brought up again deffo shouldnt of had any direction in it towards another persons fam good bad or indifferent, it was in bad taste as far as i'm concerned.

dont think i remember that 1, havent heard any of the good techno they played from t.o.s,can u think of any good house track/techno that was played from there?

Think it was Johnny Moy that would have played it around 94.

I remember this being played, can't remember who, just remember the feeling of this playing and the place hopping.

The Martian - Star Dancer

Hazy memory on this too as to whether its UFO or ToS, prob both... unreal track.

Cherry B0mb - Eclipse

LFO vs FUSE - Loop

Off to bed, I'll add more over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

the asylum played a big part in addiction back then lad, the majority of people i know who are strung out all got it in there and were offered it for the 1st time in there.

You missed the point of what I said about addiction though, and also obviously missed the rest of the point as well lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

I remember this being played, can't remember who, just remember the feeling of this playing and the place hopping.

Hazy memory on this too as to whether its UFO or ToS, prob both... unreal track.

Defo a Johnny Moy tune alright, found a box of old vinyl in the attic a couple of months back and this was in it. Some vintage Slam stuff too and a few off the zoom label. Nice little find as I thought I had sold them all.

Cherry B0mb - Eclipse

LFO vs FUSE - Loop

Off to bed, I'll add more over the next few days.

Like this 1 aswell from

Was after an id for years.Turns out the track i was after was Sequential - Sequential.But when i first heard Martian, The - Cosmic Movement i thought it was the id i was after.So everytime i hear the Martian, The - Cosmic Movement it reminds me of Sequential - Sequential

Jesus i love the way this version starts aswell.

You missed the point of what I said about addiction though, and also obviously missed the rest of the point as well lol

its down to the person yada yada yada, did i not already say that in my original post??? a person with an addictive streek can't become addicted to anythin in the 1st place unless if theres nothin in their environment to become addicted to, ya with me? all i was sayin in my original post is that, things like gear were available in these places which led to people tryin them out and then to addiction.i never said anythin about blaming the ravescene for gear casualties as it was available everywere, i just stated the FACT that alot of people made the wrong choice back then when offered that sh.ite in places like the asylum instead of just dealing with the come down like every1 else.
    and don't talk about people ya don't know claiming they would just substitute one thing for another, its in bad taste and i would'nt fukkin do it to any1 so i don't expect it done to me.
    thats all i have to say about this topic now, should have been left burried between myself and key anyway days ago.
    sorry foer the rant people, lets get back to happty memories and oldskool chat instead of doom & gloom.

This is one of the best from back then,

Love the main sound of the tune when it gets going.......fu.ck me the energy it created & adrenalin its send pumping i can remember with clarity.........amazing tune this,

I'll just add two more,

This is one of the best from back then,

Love the main sound of the tune when it gets going.......fu.ck me the energy it created & adrenalin its send pumping i can remember with clarity.........amazing tune this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfS3lPrFM

didnt come out key, no vid just a blank box mate

didnt come out key, no vid just a blank box mate

Is it fixed now??

sorry mate just browsin another site there, it aint fixed man still blank

• Advertisement

sorry mate just browsin another site there, it aint fixed man still blank

Fu.ck it here it is again, you know it anyway i just was getting great buzz off it just now blaring,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement