Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

Story buds??? If anyone can ID any of the tracks of this tape I will buy them a pint.

This tape was mixed by Warren K way back in the day - circa 1991-1992 and I just need to ID the tracks.

I have a few already ID'd but I need more. No point in asking Warren because he doesn't even remember doing the tape ;)

So feel free to chip in with your IDs

Here's the listing so far:

Title Artist

1) ?????? ????????????
    2) Blitz Thrillseekers
    3) ?????? ???????????? (sample taken from Carlos Santana - Oye Coma Va)
    4) Dance among the stars Thrillseekers
    5) ?????? ????????????
    6) Keep Pumpin Thrillseekers
    7) ?????? ????????????
    8) Terminator Goldie/Rifuge Cru
    9) ?????? ????????????
    10 Kemistry Goldie/Rifuge Cru
    11) ?????? ???????????? (Sample taken from DJ Unity - Macka B, Tony Rebel)
    12) ?????? ????????????
    13) ?????? ????????????

Click the link below to DL the tape (just one side) and forgive the sound quality as it was ripped from a copy of the master tape)

Warren K - Breakbeat

Still one of my all time favorite mixed tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

JCarey70 wrote: »
    Story buds??? If anyone can ID any of the tracks of this tape I will buy them a pint.

This tape was mixed by Warren K way back in the day - circa 1991-1992 and I just need to ID the tracks.

I have a few already ID'd but I need more. No point in asking Warren because he doesn't even remember doing the tape ;)

Title Artist

1) ?????? ????????????
    2) Blitz Thrillseekers
    5) ?????? ????????????
    7) ?????? ????????????
    9) ?????? ????????????
    12) ?????? ????????????
    13) ?????? ????????????

Click the link below to DL the tape (just one side) and forgive the sound quality as it was ripped from a copy of the master tape)

Warren K - Breakbeat

just listenin to this now mate, crackin mix from what i've heard so far, pitty warren didn't stick to the hardcore in my opinion man, absolutely love the stuff!!!
    anyway, if i get any i'll let ya know but in the mean time ya could thro it up here http://www.tuneid.com/ or join up here and stick it in the tracklist ID section http://onlyoldskool.com/index.php great site the 2nd one, loads helpful peeps on it.

One of my all time favorites paddy,
    I doubt es-cee or earle will be able to bring themselves to slate this one:D
    ;)
    Had to dig deep into my Olympic collection to get approval from the Asylum posse :)

i'm not tryin to start a debate, or a 'my rave is better than your rave' type arguement but, i've listened to alot of 'olympic' tunes on this thread. and while there are a few that i like i'm not gonna lie, the majority are tunes i wouldn't have been and am still not into for reasons i've stated before... i think it's very cheesey rave tbh, no disrespect intended to olympic devoties, as i said i'm not havin a dig i'm just tellin it like it is. asylum and sides tunes are great, one or two iffy tunes but for the most part its good solid dance music with nothin cheesey or commercial about it, same can't be said about olympic music, from the supposed "classics" of the club that have been posted on here, the majority of em stink of cheese, case in point

granted the sound crowds tunes are ace, and there are a few others as well, but how can this sh1t be defended at a rave????

in comparison to this classic from sides

and this from the asylum

am i the only one here that thinks the olympic was nothin more than a glorified disco bar with some decent tunes thrown in to dilute the wiff of edam? can anyone honestly (and i mean honestly) tell me with a straight face this place was an underground experience (which raves were) when clearly it was a commercial cheese factory :D:D:D
    as i said folks i'm not havin a dig at the place, as it obviously ment so much to so many of you, and i know i'm gonna get slated for even postin such "blasphemy :rolleyes:" about the place but, if ya honestly think about it then ya'd have to agree, disco bar with yokes :p

*bring on the abuse, i can take it* lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

The world doesnt need another couple of cardboard oldskoolers lads:pac::pac::pac:

Great tune i think if im honest,

*opens text book for answer & reads from index*

1. Ecstasy back at the beginning
    2. Venues Open all night
    3. The heat & sweat
    4. The Strobes & Smoke
    5. The people & lack of inhibitions
    6. The early house
    7. The law
    8. Rubbish Narcotics
    9. The emmergence of the 'Trancecracker'

etc etc............:D

:eek: ouuucchhh!! LOL nice 1 Key ,although i never questioned the validity of anyones oldskool credentials,merely stating the tune in question was (in my opinion) a bit lame.......oh yeah and thought i'd encourage Es's little rib poke for the craic....i know you like a good debate! :D ..........cardboard *pffft* how insulting :rolleyes: ......... \o/

• Advertisement

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :eek: ouuucchhh!! LOL nice 1 Key ,although i never questioned the validity of anyones oldskool credentials,merely stating the tune in question was (in my opinion) a bit lame.......oh yeah and thought i'd encourage Es's little rib poke for the craic....i know you like a good debate! :D ..........cardboard *pffft* how insulting :rolleyes: ......... \o/

to say the least :pac::pac::pac::p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

es-cee wrote: »
    just listenin to this now mate, crackin mix from what i've heard so far, pitty warren didn't stick to the hardcore in my opinion man, absolutely love the stuff!!!
    anyway, if i get any i'll let ya know but in the mean time ya could thro it up here http://www.tuneid.com/ or join up here and stick it in the tracklist ID section http://onlyoldskool.com/index.php great site the 2nd one, loads helpful peeps on it.

Top man - thanks...

i'm not tryin to start a debate, or a 'my rave is better than your rave' type arguement but, i've listened to alot of 'olympic' tunes on this thread. and while there are a few that i like i'm not gonna lie, the majority are tunes i wouldn't have been and am still not into for reasons i've stated before... i think it's very cheesey rave tbh, no disrespect intended to olympic devoties, as i said i'm not havin a dig i'm just tellin it like it is. asylum and sides tunes are great, one or two iffy tunes but for the most part its good solid dance music with nothin cheesey or commercial about it, same can't be said about olympic music, from the supposed "classics" of the club that have been posted on here, the majority of em stink of cheese, case in point

granted the sound crowds tunes are ace, and there are a few others as well, but how can this sh1t be defended at a rave????

in comparison to this classic from sides

and this from the asylum

am i the only one here that thinks the olympic was nothin more than a glorified disco bar with some decent tunes thrown in to dilute the wiff of edam? can anyone honestly (and i mean honestly) tell me with a straight face this place was an underground experience (which raves were) when clearly it was a commercial cheese factory :D:D:D
    as i said folks i'm not havin a dig at the place, as it obviously ment so much to so many of you, and i know i'm gonna get slated for even postin such "blasphemy :rolleyes:" about the place but, if ya honestly think about it then ya'd have to agree, disco bar with yokes :p

*bring on the abuse, i can take it* lol

:D lmao jaysus Es ya running for government anytime soon? , I cant be arsed to read back over pages of pro's n con's regarding the Olympic but I'll just throw this in, I enjoyed it at the time, it was the early days and in most cases alot of peoples first experience of "rave" ...... far from anything considered "disco bar" , ok alot of the tunes weren't hardcore underground classics suppose maybe "rave-lite" but the essence of the rave culture was there i.e. everyone E'd up,loving the tunes n eachother ,all just in it for the buzz,it wasnt convential in terms of a disco bar and it was the spring board for many onto the Asylum/Sides/G1 etc, maybe it holds a stronger nostalgic memory for that as opposed to the tunes.

:o I have Stereogen on vinyl ......and i like it!! :o

.........sure abuse is only a problem if it gets to ya buddy.;)

:D lmao jaysus Es ya running for government anytime soon? , I cant be arsed to read back over pages of pro's n con's regarding the Olympic but I'll just throw this in, I enjoyed it at the time, it was the early days and in most cases alot of peoples first experience of "rave" ...... far from anything considered "disco bar" , ok alot of the tunes weren't hardcore underground classics suppose maybe "rave-lite" but the essence of the rave culture was there i.e. everyone E'd up,loving the tunes n eachother ,all just in it for the buzz,it wasnt convential in terms of a disco bar and it was the spring board for many onto the Asylum/Sides/G1 etc, maybe it holds a stronger nostalgic memory for that as opposed to the tunes.

:o I have Stereogen on vinyl ......and i like it!! :o

.........sure abuse is only a problem if it gets to ya buddy.;)

i love stereogen meself man lol, was comparin the other 2 cheese graters before it to a real classic hahahahah
    as for the olympic rant, i'm tryin to get the boys goin again lol, does be fun listenin to why these tunes are "great", and that i'm always wrong about these things hahaha, easy as fcuk to wind em up and let em fly ;):D

to say the least :pac::pac::pac::p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

lol now thats your opinion lol .......i've more than enough cheesy singles of me own :o but fook it I like em and thats all i care about :p

• Advertisement

One of my all time favorites paddy,

I doubt es-cee or earle will be able to bring themselves to slate this one:D

lol ffs Key ya giving me a complex now lol I'll keep me opinions to meself from here on in lol :( ..... i swear i've only ever slated a couple of tunes ....cant like them all .....

"if there's hell below,i'm going t'go i've got the key,i cant move any mountains or beat the system so i'll go with the flow to the beat of the drum top one nice one everybodys in he place,everybodys free to feel good,other than that its back to life and back to reality" :o

Haven't heard these in yonks. Nice one ER.

Cheers Jay , picked this one up over in Sheffield last year, love all the Suburban base stuff and was drawn to this been a Krome n Time alias,
    fireball been the better of the 2 imo ....... *Doh!* there i go giving opinions again lol :o sorry folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Title Artist

1) ?????? ????????????
    2) Blitz Thrillseekers
    5) ?????? ????????????
    7) ?????? ????????????
    9) ?????? ????????????
    12) ?????? ????????????
    13) ?????? ????????????

Warren K - Breakbeat

Alright Jay. Track 7 is Run tings - Back Again (Austin Remix). Great tune!!

germulhall wrote: »

Track 9 is this. Another cracker of a tune!!

Basement was such a great label. Jack Smooth, Kev Bird, The Wax Doctor, Top Buzz with all amazing releases on it!! Track 11 is this.

I think Kev Bird's 93 Remix is even better again than the original.

absolutely nothin to do with oldskool or dance, but important!!!!!

Yeah very important Sean!! I just posted this around to a good few mates on Facebook as well. Hopefully it will wake a few people up to whats really going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

techno tuesday's, any techno lovers can tune in here http://onlyoldskool.com/radio.html every tuesday between 5.30 - ? lol, whatever time we finish we finish, no time limits :p techno ranging from low tempo right up to hardcore techno/gabber and even some trance and hard house trown in sometimes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Anytime I see reference to Paul Van Dyk I initially cringe with his more recent years and cheesy trance - then I remember this gem.

Anytime I see reference to Paul Van Dyk I initially cringe with his more recent years and cheesy trance - then I remember this gem.

Yeah top production that alrite.Some of his later stuff i thought was ok.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

aceberg wrote: »
    Yeah top production that alrite.Some of his later stuff i thought was ok.

Don't think I know any of his later stuff - I just seem to have a cheese association with him for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

He's let off the hook for being involved in The Visions of Shiva in my book, I can ignore all the rest of his sh*te

joker77 wrote: »
    He's let off the hook for being involved in The Visions of Shiva in my book, I can ignore all the rest of his sh*te

Yes and Cosmic Baby.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

aceberg wrote: »
    Yes and Cosmic Baby.:D
    Cosmic baby was Harald Blüchel on his own - Visions of Shiva was him and PVD, far as I know

Cheers Jay , picked this one up over in Sheffield last year, love all the Suburban base stuff and was drawn to this been a Krome n Time alias,
    fireball been the better of the 2 imo ....... *Doh!* there i go giving opinions again lol :o sorry folks.

Use to have it myself donks ago. Forgot all about until you posted it up. Deadly, fair play to ye.. :)

Use to have it myself donks ago. Forgot all about until you posted it up. Deadly, fair play to ye.. :)

Was just saying he was invilved.

Here's 1 he co-produced on in anyways.

http://www.discogs.com/Cosmic-Baby-The-Cosmic-Very-Cosmic-EP/release/124906

Basement was such a great label. Jack Smooth, Kev Bird, The Wax Doctor, Top Buzz with all amazing releases on it!! Track 11 is this.

I think Kev Bird's 93 Remix is even better again than the original.

Germulhall??? :eek: :eek: :eek: GENIUS - fair fcuks to ya - thanks a lot... you don't know how long etc etc... :D

So far:

Title Artist
    1) ?????? ????????????
    2) Blitz Thrillseekers
    5) ?????? ????????????
    7) Back Again - Run tings
    9) Tough But Nice - Kev Bird & Wax Doctor
    11) Dark Matter - Kev Bird & Wax Doctor (Original Mix)
    12) ?????? ???????????? (Sample taken from DJ Unity - Macka B, Tony Rebel)
    13) ?????? ????????????

5 more to go :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm gonna March on the 27th. Just Facebooked this as well. Good unrelated post E

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement