Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

es-cee wrote: »
    :D there were times as well to be fair when i just plain walked out of the temple for the same crap, so i think all clubs (well most lol) are guilty of the same carry on. don't agree with commercial music in raves, it totally goes against what the rave scene set out to do way back when:)

Ahh you see though this is where you have to define a few things,

1. It was all new way way back when & was still evolving.

2. A lot of the tracks were murdered by the radio

3. Nightclubs latched onto the rave music & spawned a whole new direction in sh.ite tunes & some filtered back into the rave.

I do hear what you are saying cause i actually left an Altern8 gig in the belvedere hotel about 3 or 4 years ago now cause they were churning out the biggest pile of handbag cr.ap i ever heard:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

i'll grab it when on me laptop later, stuck usin this bleedin ps3 at the mo till i get me room back to normal.
    hardcore is it?

Little bit of this little bit of that :o you know me Es , I dont subscribe to all that "labelling" lol , nah man i wouldn't call it strictly hardcore ....... hardcore-lite prehaps lol , just figured with you been the threads "Larry Gogan" of tracklisting I'd throw it your way for the craic!

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Little bit of this little bit of that :o you know me Es , I dont subscribe to all that "labelling" lol , nah man i wouldn't call it strictly hardcore ....... hardcore-lite prehaps lol , just figured with you been the threads "Larry Gogan" of tracklisting I'd throw it your way for the craic!

Just when you siad it i thought there has to be an album out there called it,

Strictly hardcore

Just when you siad it i thought there has to be an album out there called it,

Strictly hardcore

:o I have all 3 lol ........they're fookin deadly!!!! honest!

Not on any of them but was going to put this up anyway before i saw your reply above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Ahh you see though this is where you have to define a few things,

1. It was all new way way back when & was still evolving.

2. A lot of the tracks were murdered by the radio

3. Nightclubs latched onto the rave music & spawned a whole new direction in sh.ite tunes & some filtered back into the rave.

I do hear what you are saying cause i actually left an Altern8 gig in the belvedere hotel about 3 or 4 years ago now cause they were churning out the biggest pile of handbag cr.ap i ever heard:eek:

altern8 are anthem bashers, no escapin that fact. i've seen em 3 times in the last 3 years annd each time came out feelin robbed tbh. at the time period of the olympic "the media" were after coppin on that this (wont say new as it was already alive and kicking a few years in the uk)music phenomenon had the potential to be a big money spinner and of course jumped on it like flies to sh1te and started churnin out crap tbh, all in the name of profit which is totally against the underground movement it started out as.
    now i know there are hundres of tunes (underground tunes i might add) that were played in the olympic but, as soon as some1 mentions the word olympic i instinctively think of roterdam 93, i can't help it its just the 1st thing that pops into my head for some reason. same as if some1 says rave i immediately think of hardcore, or some1 says asylum i immediately think dee rex or union jack, its just an impulsive reaction straight out.
    give me a list of tunes, good solid olympic tunes to dig out to change my perseption of the place coz at the min its marred with me older cousins "fav tunes" on tape that she used to play over and over that were, as she said, from the olympic. god i'm havin flashbacks here and they ain't nice:pac::pac::pac::D

• Advertisement

:pac: lol i know i've heard the name larry gogan before, just can't put me finger on were???

Heres a few you have to like at least 50% of i would say,

1. Our tribe - I beleive
    2. LA Style - James brown is dead
    3. Sound crowd - Dream lover
    4. Mukka - Neebro
    5. Liberation - liberation 2
    6. Smoke belch - sabres of paradice
    7. Q Sound - Good night
    8. THK - France
    9. Underworld - Rez
    10. Bolivian Angel - Ubiquity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

:pac: lol i know i've heard the name larry gogan before, just can't put me finger on were???

lol he was/is the "John Motson" of 2FM popular music quizzes circa 19 0 splash - present day lol or to put it another way, the "Jimmy McGee" of music :D

More,

1. Technohead - The passion
    2. IBO - Rejuvination
    3. Back to front - Viewfinder
    4. Stakker - Humanoid
    5. Art of trance - Gloria
    6. Do it - tituta
    7. Energy flash - joey beltram
    8. Ramirez - terapea
    9. Viewfinder - I want you all night
    10. Felix - Dont you want me

• Advertisement

Heres a few you have to like at least 50% of i would say,

1. Our tribe - I beleive
    2. LA Style - James brown is dead
    3. Sound crowd - Dream lover
    4. Mukka - Neebro
    5. Liberation - liberation 2
    6. Smoke belch - sabres of paradice
    7. Q Sound - Good night
    8. THK - France
    9. Underworld - Rez
    10. Bolivian Angel - Ubiquity

not a fan of rez, i still think underworlds best tune is pearls girl but, the rest are good tunes granted its been about 5/6 years since i've listened to most of em but they're a far cry from roterdam 93 thats for sure. any more?

More,

1. Technohead - The passion
    2. IBO - Rejuvination
    3. Back to front - Viewfinder
    4. Stakker - Humanoid
    5. Art of trance - Gloria
    6. Do it - tituta
    7. Energy flash - joey beltram
    8. Ramirez - terapea
    9. Viewfinder - I want you all night
    10. Felix - Dont you want me

ok, i think its safe to say i stand corrected, won't hear another peep from me about the olympic unless some1 posts some cheesey bs, those tunes deserve stick lets be honest.

anymore tunes i probably wouldn't know?

I liked Altern8,still do ...... and as Nexus 21 before their "Alter8tion"! :rolleyes: suppose if you go through their Nexus catalogue n then the Altern8 stuff ya can clearly see where it all got a bit diluted in the name of £££££'s

...but sure what artist ever stayed true to their roots? they all chase fame n fortune......i'm sure Bono just does it "for the love of music man" :rolleyes: hence all the free concerts n raves we got to go to eh!!

Woah woah woah G, i never said i didnt dig there stuff just that the gig they did they pulled out some awful sh.ite that was none of there tracks, thats why i left, two - three hours & not a Top One, Nice One, get sorted anywhere:(

Woah woah woah G, i never said i didnt dig there stuff just that the gig they did they pulled out some awful sh.ite that was none of there tracks, thats why i left, two - three hours & not a Top One, Nice One, get sorted anywhere:(

have to agree, was let down by there sets meself, but am a hugh fan of their own stuff. pitty they split in 93 as they deffo had the potential as an act to give the prodigy a run for their money.

I'll have less of that woah woah woah'ing now!!!:D lol I never said anyone said anything about anybody ,all i was alluding too was that when comparing their works as Nexus to what they did as Altern8 (both good in their own right) you can see/hear the difference of the latter and the stronger underground vibe of the "acid house" style of Nexus.....suppose to put it simply ,they moved with the times and the times moved with the music,it was inevitable that underground rave acts where going to go mainstream at some stage.

Es, I know tit bits of the background to why they "went their seperate ways" ...... just average joes like you or I.

:rolleyes: ... HayZues Christa me and my open onions again :rolleyes:

I'll have less of that woah woah woah'ing now!!!:D lol I never said anyone said anything about anybody ,all i was alluding too was that when comparing their works as Nexus to what they did as Altern8 (both good in their own right) you can see/hear the difference of the latter and the stronger underground vibe of the "acid house" style of Nexus.....suppose to put it simply ,they moved with the times and the times moved with the music,it was inevitable that underground rave acts where going to go mainstream at some stage.

Es, I know tit bits of the background to why they "went their seperate ways" ...... just average joes like you or I.

:rolleyes: ... HayZues Christa me and my open onions again :rolleyes:

theres been loadsa tit for tat crap between em since, pitty they didn't split on good terms as they could have had some more classics under their belt instead of gettin a new member and just becomin a dj act instead of producin which is what they were famous for really.

Was deadly what they did that night lol savage guerilla rave !!! must've been fookin mental to have been there and coming out at the end of the night to that!! talk about "this is how it should be done" .....

Here it is from YT .....not actual video footage lol dont get excited,just audio.

• Advertisement

Now this is fookin savage!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

I will try and upload a that mix they done in Poland a few weeks back.
    I have to say its Brilliant.its a full 2hour set full on, none stop!
    Lots of classics thrown in and not many altern8 tracks surprisingly.

Just waiting on permission to upload it;)

:D:):D:):D ........ laters folks!

Aphrodite & Mickey Finn

Not a great version of the above but great vid!! ....watch the vid with sound off and listen to the other one :D
    DJ Hype's

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Fair play germulhall ! that tune has sent me right back :D

Needless to say it's going on repeat all day :)

Can't get enough of it myself Paddy!! Love all of Kev Bird & The Wax Doctor's releases!! I have that Hardcore Leaders of the New School compilation if you want it man!! So many crackers on it!!
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hardcore-Leaders-Of-The-New-School/release/89023

Love that A-D-8 With Plezure track from them Paddy!! I had a tape from Amsterdam and i think they started off with it. Maybe it was shown on the Hitman and Her as well. Would love to get my hands on it. I think N-Joi were on the flipside of the one that i had but I cant be certain though. I found out where the sampled that track from only a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Am I the only one here that thinks the olympic was nothin more than a glorified disco bar with some decent tunes thrown in to dilute the wiff of edam? can anyone honestly (and i mean honestly) tell me with a straight face this place was an underground experience (which raves were) when clearly it was a commercial cheese factory :D:D:D
    as i said folks i'm not havin a dig at the place, as it obviously ment so much to so many of you, and i know i'm gonna get slated for even postin such "blasphemy :rolleyes:" about the place but, if ya honestly think about it then ya'd have to agree, disco bar with yokes :p

*bring on the abuse, i can take it* lol

The Olympic was pulling crowds of over 1000 in 1993 and playing fresh tunes never heard before. A lot of the cheese started to filter through a year or so later, and regular anthems were then played to death on the new pirate radio stations at the time. But I could list nearly 100 tracks from The Olympic which are all brilliant. I dont even save those 'cheese' tracks on my hard drive.
    Dont forget it was the one and only regular 'Rave' in Dublin where the rest were club nights. If you werent there you wouldn't understand.

Everybody needs to see this. As before on Sean's post, its nothing oldskool related but a very of an important issue in our current situation!!

Gas valued at €420 billion off the west coast of Ireland, while Fianna Fáil speeds us towards the IMF

http://www.shelltosea.com/content/gas-valued-%E2%82%AC420-billion-west-coast-ireland-while-fianna-f%C3%A1il-speeds-us-towards-imf

germulhall wrote: »
    Everybody needs to see this. As before on Sean's post, its nothing oldskool related but a very of an important issue in our current situation!!

Gas valued at €420 billion off the west coast of Ireland, while Fianna Fáil speeds us towards the IMF

http://www.shelltosea.com/content/gas-valued-%E2%82%AC420-billion-west-coast-ireland-while-fianna-f%C3%A1il-speeds-us-towards-imf

Well done ger , great post, isn't it a shame that we typically wait until the horse bolts before looking at the swinging barn door? The government and their cronies lost the run of themselves whilst the rest of us just lost our way...dare I say it again....the founders of our state n those that fought and died in its name must be rotating furiously in their graves,as are those who fought & died over the course of 2 world wars to stop them lot taking control of all Europe,less than 100 yrs down the line and here we are handing it to them on a fookin golden plate.:(

Re: Sean's post,will I be seeing some of you on wood quay this coming Saturday morning? wrap up warm!! ....I don't know what it'll achieve if anything at all but atleast a show of solidarity ......i'm pissed off been pissed off n doing nothing to show how pissed off I am.....and i'm seriously pissed off with the lack of alternatives...Enda Kenny n co?? :rolleyes: Gilmore?? Rabbitte?? the Greens??? there's not one stand out alternative to show faith in....we must be the laughing stock of the world how things have gone these past few years.....bring on the clowns....oh sorry ,we already have ,messers Cowen,Lenihan and Aherne before them.

Rant over:o

germulhall wrote: »

just to add to ger's post above (at the risk of turning the thread into a political debate lol)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blogs/ireland/ireland-in-crisis-the-stories-theyre-not-telling-you-p184.html

• Advertisement

.........looks like the country & it's troubles will have to wait .....everyone must be away watching the football :rolleyes: Priorities what?!? lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement