Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Anybody know the 2nd and third tracks in this clip

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

http://www.mediafire.com/?cznpuz10cah62k4

Biochip C. - C8 E.P. Night Has It's Price
    Itch-E + Scratch-E - Interference
    Omega Force - The Rhythm (Norman Remix)
    Illuminatae - Santiago
    N.U.K.E. & Genlog - Can You Feel It? (Housecut)
    DJ Meltron - Miracle Two
    Valdezz - Testvérem
    DJ Cirillo - Ozone Free
    Mo-Tune - Infinite Climax
    Angel Dust - Semiramis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

aceberg wrote: »
    Anybody know the 2nd and third tracks in this clip

2nd - d'cruze - i believe

3rd - sounds like a remix of cloud 9 - hold me in your arms.

i'll find out the cloud 9 track for deffo sometime later maybe, hope this helps ya out ace
    :) 2 quality hardcore tunes btw man;)

es-cee wrote: »
    2nd - d'cruze - i believe

3rd - sounds like a remix of cloud 9 - hold me in your arms.

i'll find out the cloud 9 track for deffo sometime later maybe, hope this helps ya out ace
    :) 2 quality hardcore tunes btw man;)

Cheers man nice 1.Knew u would'nt let me down.Just tryna get a couple of hardcore/gabber cd's together for the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Bit of an oldskool house mix of a few of my favourites I put together at the weekend, would love yee to have a listen and let me know what you think.

Cheers lads

http://soundcloud.com/finto/notanotherbleedino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

whats name of the track, or full title d.m.b.anyone? something love

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

whats name of the track, or full title d.m.b.anyone? something love

http://www.discogs.com/DMB-If-We-Lose-Our-Lovin/release/69991

this wat ur lookin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Remember reading this a few years back and came across it again tonight while surfing ....made me think of all you peeps that keep this thread alive today....we have used to thread to talk about the scene and the tunes n the DJ's and the memories, we've shared all of the above,well on reading this again tonight I felt it was high time to say a heartfelt thanks to you all for "never losing your hardcore" each and everyone of you have played your part in keeping the vibe alive....take a bow! Rgds G

Ravers Manifesto

Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology. Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none. Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be. You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence. We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you. We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children. We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself. We are The Massive. One Massive.

We were first drawn by the sound. From far away, the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mother’s heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical wiring. We were drawn back into this womb, and there, in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it, we came to accept that we are all equal. Not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls: we are all equal. And somewhere around 35Hz we could feel the hand of God at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, our bodies, and our spirits. Pushing us to turn to the person beside us to join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world. It is in that very instant, with these initial realizations that each of us was truly born.

We continue to pack our bodies into clubs, or warehouses, or buildings you’ve abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night. Strong, throbbing, vibrant life in it’s purest, most intense, most hedonistic form. In these makeshift spaces, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilize and secure for us. We seek to relinquish our inhibitions, and free ourselves from the shackles and restraints you’ve put on us for your own peace of mind. We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born. Programming that tells us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest and most convenient pigeon hole possible. Programming that even tells us to climb ladders for you, jump through hoops, and run through mazes and on hamster wheels. Programming that tells us to eat from the shiny silver spoon you are trying to feed us with, instead of nourish ourselves with our own capable hands. Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of open them.

Until the sun rises to burn our eyes by revealing the distopian reality of a world you’ve created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in: Peace, Love, Freedom, Tolerance, Unity, Harmony, Expression, Responsibility and Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information. Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence. But know that while you may shut down any given party, on any given night, in any given city, in any given country or continent on this beautiful planet, you can never shut down the entire party. You don’t have access to that switch, no matter what you may think. The music will never stop. The heartbeat will never fade. The party will never end.

I am a raver, and this is my manifesto

Dont answer their questions,question their answers! Keep on keeping on,slave to the rave,rave to the grave!! :)</B></I></EM></STRONG></U>

never read this before tonight G, but its the best thing i've read in a long long time mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Ravers Manifesto Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology. Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none. Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be. You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence. We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you. We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children. We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself. We are The Massive. One Massive.
    That's the biz G. It sets up my next post perfectly. I tried to post this earlier but my BB was actin' up.

The scans below are from a magazine back in the day (94) giving an insight into what was going down in Dance Clubs in Dublin City.
    The article is titled... ehh, 'Irelands Eye' by Mark K and ran in the mag for a few issues. It captures the 'status quo' at the time.

ICE-GenPage001.jpg
    ICE-GenPage002.jpg
    ICE-GenPage003.jpg

The full PDF's are available from the generator website, but the issue with the above scans (apollo 440's issue) is not available, so I dug it out of my attic and did the do. You can read the rest on line or download them. The article is only in a few issues but the mag if full of goodies.

Gen_01.jpgGen_02.jpg Gen_03.jpg
    (Irish Clubland Explored continued in the above editions)

Gen_04.jpgGen_05.jpgGen_06.jpg

Gen_07.jpgGen_08.jpgGen_09.jpg

Gen_10.jpgGen_11.jpgGen_12.jpg

Caf , the post is excellent,top class, i've been waiting for someone to post up something like that for a long time,fair play t'ya, as always ,you de man!!! I'm going to enjoy reading through these (never had the foresight to keep anything like this bitd)......Coincidentally Re:"Ravers Manifesto" I think i first read that in a MK column ,either that or he wrote it or something, I dunno I just know when i read it again it conjured up MK for some reason.:confused:

Anyway,thanks again for the reading material!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

CAF/EarlE you're both legends. Those are deadly, thanks! :D

How does Warren not get mentioned in these articles???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Does anyone remember thae Retro Compilations I posted up a while back?
    For some reason Volume 4 had disappeared from my mediafire account and I cannot find the cd's.
    If anyone out there has these uploaded can you send me the links please.
    Thanking you in advance;)

SteoL wrote: »
    How does Warren not get mentioned in these articles???:eek:

Sorry I take it back, a quote from CAF's mag re Asylum:

"WarrenK is the talented turntable maestro and it's all well banging"

Fookin delighted to read that, don't know how I missed it first time. Damn this job of mine!

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember thae Retro Compilations I posted up a while back?
    For some reason Volume 4 had disappeared from my mediafire account and I cannot find the cd's.
    If anyone out there has these uploaded can you send me the links please.
    Thanking you in advance;)

mediafire recently went on a mission to delete copyrighted material from there servers mate, more than likely this is what happened to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

deadly stuff remember that Ravers manifesto well superb, i always bought that generator as well as well as Eternity which remains the best mag of them all also Dream, Ravescene(hard to come by in Ireland) M8,etc:)

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    deadly stuff remember that Ravers manifesto well superb, i always bought that generator as well as well as Eternity which remains the best mag of them all also Dream, Ravescene(hard to come by in Ireland) M8,etc:)

Ha ha,was pulling the crimbo decs down fro the attic yesterday and decided to do a bit of a clean-up to my attic.Discovered a few of them eternity mags used to buy them meself.:D

Anybody remember this from the Asylum :D

Love this 1 aswell

And this takes me back too

and this :D

SteoL wrote: »
    Sorry I take it back, a quote from CAF's mag re Asylum:

"WarrenK is the talented turntable maestro and it's all well banging"

Fookin delighted to read that, don't know how I missed it first time. Damn this job of mine!

I still think Warren deserved more than a one line mention, my best nights where when Warren played the Asylum, the guy was one of the best imo ,my personal fav DJ of the era......Legend!!

I've not got around to reading through the other articles yet, I hope the NRGEX lads get more mentions in them,without sounding like a kiss ass, NRGEX played a hugh part in Dublins rave scene and are part of the reason we're all here today still sharing stories,tunes n memories. Mr Kavanagh seems to write a great article but i couldn't help noticing it sounded very self praising in parts whilst almost hurriedly mentioning Warren & the Asylum for that matter, now i'm not saying he wasn't good, Kav was/is a legend,still puts out a cracking set to this day and still pulls the crowds and credit to him n all that jazz,he certainly championed the Irish dance scene both as a DJ & Producer , and in his columns , to me it just seems to be more of a self journey of the scene than a chronicle of the scene. he alluded to certain cliques and splits within the circles of the time and I wonder if this in part influences the mentions or non mentions ......then again as I said i've yet to read all the articles so I could be way off the mark.....Obviously he's going to big up his spot (the olympic) and too right to but I just think if your going to talk about the Dublin scene and the impact on Irish culture/music then straight off the top of your head comes the words "Sides DC" & "Asylum" ...and then the roll call of all our DJ's etc.

Anyways , a thought just came to me whilst writing, and maybe Caf can answer this one for me ..... who was/were the first promoters of the scene in Dublin? the first proper flyer i ever saw was for Sides DC and i picked that up in the barbers at the corner behind the central bank waaaaay bitd and a friend with me at the time gave me one of those "melvins" ya know them back of the head slaps? and says "dats a queer shop ya dope ya have to go t'abbey discs for real flyers" so it got left on the 50a on the way home :o ... kids what?!?
    .......after that i only ever picked up flyers when i was in town hanging round abbey discs or the mall but like with mags i never had the foresight to keep them up for posterity.

I found this on the "ucdhiddenhistory" blog ,a good read, the beginings of our very own DJ François - François Pittion,the Oldskool salutes you :cool:

Read on ......

Belfield’s 1980s Rave Scene

Written:Dec 29th 2009
    In this instalment of UCD Hidden History, we talk to François Pittion (former Ents Officer) about Belfield’s infamous late 1980s rave scene…
    Pittion began studying French and Linguistics in UCD in 1985 as part of an Arts Degree. He became involved in the UCD Students Union (UCDSU) early on, being elected as a class representitive and joining the Ents Committee.
    He admits that facilities in Belfield at the time “weren’t really bad” but there was always an underlying feeling that students had to “get the degree and emigrate”. As there were no jobs going, students had the choice of either leaving the country or “stay and party”. Pittion chose the latter.
    fpittion.jpg?w=300&h=203 Francois. UCD Student Bar, Late 80s.

Up until then, there was no (electronic) dance scene in Belfield (or Dublin for that matter). The highlight of the week on campus was the disco in the Student Bar on a Saturday night. The DJ was Dave Lowe a.k.a Bambi who played “all sorts” Pittion remembers. He admits that cheap pints of beer during an extended Happy Hour were the main attraction for most students.
    After a couple of years in the Ents committee, Pittion ran for Ents officer in 1987. The elections were hotly contested and he came up against the Kevin Barry Cumann i.e. the “Fianna Fail machine”. Fortunately, due to his contacts in Agricultural Science and Science, Pittion won by 260 votes.
    Soon after his victory, Pittion and a close friend Mick Heaney began organising nights in the bar on Fridays “as an alternative to the Saturday disco”. The Friday nights, soon to be known as the ‘Unlimited Freak Out’ (UFO), would go down in Belfield campus infamy.
    su2.jpg?w=300&h=203 UCD Student Bar - UFO.

They began by playing a mixture of indie, 70′s punk and techno – “about 50% rave 50% guitar”. “I suppose”, Pittion ponders, “it would have been called madchester/balearic beats stuff”. (Quick music history lesson. Madchester – Alternative/indie/psychedelic 90s rock music. The Stones Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans etc.. Balearic Beat – Genre of ‘house’ electronic dance music that originally emerged in the mid-1980s. The sound was initially typified by a distinctive, relatively heavy, slow (90–110 bpm), R&B-influenced beat.)
    su1.jpg?w=300&h=215 UCD Student Bar - UFO.

The UFO nights really took off. Pittion remembers that “the place would be packed by 8, and crazy by 11”. Due to this success, Pittion and Heaney had the idea of continuing the club after the UCD bar shut by running buses from UCD into The Rock Garden (until recently known as Eamon Doran’s) where the fun continued well into the early hours.
    the-first-rock-garden-flyer.jpg?w=187&h=300 UFO - Rock Garden

When questioned about drugs and the rave scene in UCD, Pittion is honest. He admits that the UCD authorities had no idea that every Friday night “half the bar was mashed on speed, acid and mushrooms”. The barmen knew what was going on, he says, but they turned a blind eye.
    su3.jpg?w=300&h=204 'Bray Mafia' -Barney Davy, F & Gary. UCD Student Bar.

Though always associated with the rave scene, Ecstasy was not a popular drug during the late 1980s in UCD. It was too expensive. At the time, a single tablet of ecstasy could set you back £20-25. The widespread use of the drug in the rave scene didn’t come into play until the prices dropped in the early 1990s.
    Pittion’s personal high point (“no pun intended!”) during his time in UCD was convincing Mark Collins (Ents Officer 1990/91) to put on The Shamen, the Scottish electronic band, at the 1991 Rag Ball. Well after graduating, Pittion was still asked to come back to Belfield to DJ the big Rag and Fresher Balls; he did this up to 1993.
    ucdshamen.jpg?w=300&h=220 The Shamen. UCD Rag Ball 1991.

Francois ran the UFO/Alien nights until 1997. From there he moved onto a Friday night residency in The Kitchen (which was based in The Clarence Hotel) a position which he held until 2001. For the last few years, he has taken a back seat in Ireland’s dance scene but still plays about four gigs a year, most recently in Tripod at the end of November 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 otoolej4

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was the "Heaven On Earth" Rave in the Point in 92/93 not the first big rave here? The Prodigy were the headline act.

B.

I remember being at that back in the day KKLASS were supporting
    and the PRODIGY were amazing had the stage in the middle of the point.
    Got of my tits that night oh the good old days

im gonna certainly enjoy listening to those tunes as soon as i get
    out of work cheers man.

Does anyone remember the Shaft or the System nightclubs had some
    amazing nights there the System sound system would leave your ears
    ringing afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Love this Track!! Fair play to ya Sean!!

A few tracks from the legendary Lemon D!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement