Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I still think Warren deserved more than a one line mention, my best nights where when Warren played the Asylum, the guy was one of the best imo ,my personal fav DJ of the era......Legend!!

Yeah man without a doubt. Have said it before my favourite line up was always WarrenK, Ed Case, Liam Dollard and Francois. Never in the Asylum unfortunately. Raging I never made that place.

I remember one night Warren did the whole night in The Ormonde. Couple of nights after NYE so place was fairly empty. Still, I was off my tits and had a great night. First time I heard Daft Punks Rollin and Scratchin. That track stopped me in my tracks. Had to call him down from the turntables to find out wtf is that amazing track. Still a favourite to this very day.

Another great gig was a NYE rave in a Garage down near the 5 lamps on Amien St. On till 7 or 8 AM. Warren Wrecked the place that night. Spoke to him in The Waterfront or something a few nights after. He wasn't playing there, just raving like the rest of us. Told him monster set at the Garage party and he replied "Was I any good, I can't fookin remember that I was off me head":pac::D

He was a sound bloke it has to be said and IMO (and I know others on here think the same) definitely the best of that era. Though the others mentioned above came pretty damn close :p

otoolej4 wrote: »
    I remember being at that back in the day KKLASS were supporting
    and the PRODIGY were amazing had the stage in the middle of the point.
    Got of my tits that night oh the good old days

Wasn't at it but remember the flyer alright. N-JOI also supported. Fairgrounds and all. Was raging I couldn't go to that. Strict folks:mad:

Does anyone remember the Shaft or the System nightclubs had some
    amazing nights there the System sound system would leave your ears
    ringing afterwards.

Remember them, never made them either though. System was Mcgonagles before that wasn't it>

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Used to buy that Eternity Mag a lot myself. Found a link for the very first issue in December 1992.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t0uyymtjnry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

whats that track called any1?

First track is Pyrate - Bycance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Thats the same footage thats on the primetime programme aint it.

• Advertisement

whats that track called any1?

The last track is - Coloured Vision - Violet Rain.

Use to love this tune back in the Days.

One of my favourite, tunes from the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

SteoL wrote: »
    Yeah man without a doubt. Have said it before my favourite line up was always WarrenK, Ed Case, Liam Dollard and Francois. Never in the Asylum unfortunately. Raging I never made that place.

I remember one night Warren did the whole night in The Ormonde. Couple of nights after NYE so place was fairly empty. Still, I was off my tits and had a great night. First time I heard Daft Punks Rollin and Scratchin. That track stopped me in my tracks. Had to call him down from the turntables to find out wtf is that amazing track. Still a favourite to this very day.

Another great gig was a NYE rave in a Garage down near the 5 lamps on Amien St. On till 7 or 8 AM. Warren Wrecked the place that night. Spoke to him in The Waterfront or something a few nights after. He wasn't playing there, just raving like the rest of us. Told him monster set at the Garage party and he replied "Was I any good, I can't fookin remember that I was off me head":pac::D

He was a sound bloke it has to be said and IMO (and I know others on here think the same) definitely the best of that era. Though the others mentioned above came pretty damn close :p

Never had the pleasure to talk to any of the legends from bitd (apart from talking to Caf & Jay here or on YT ,) I never spoke to any of the DJ's back in the day,was always out of it and fully immersed in the night lol but never thought it was "cool" , to be honest with ya I didnt go out for the DJ's (at first) it was always about the tunes n having a great night but the more i went out the more I began to like one DJ from another, for me it was Warren hands down,man he never dissapointed,mind you many didnt,I remember Dilly playing savage sets,Pressure ,J Carey tearing the roof off manys a night,Dollard,etc etc the list goes on ,all greats and i'm sure all sound as, bang on, down to earth , as Tim Nicebutdim might say "thoroughly nice blokes" ,after all their just blokes that love the scene same as us (albeit with savage skills on the 1's n 2's who got to play at the legendary spots bitd)

But I've also been to many a private party where unknowns (or bedroom DJ's) absolutely nailed it....one in particular who went on to be a "warm up" DJ in The System ..."JOC" ,another been a friend of mine "Cal" and even these days listening to some of the lads sets that get put up here,cracking stuff,my good m8 Es Cee puts a savage set together,bilko does the biz too,as do many of us (i use "us" losely - i cant mix for toffee!!:o)

I tip my cap to everyone of us here n beyond that took the 1's n 2's as their instrument , to the guys beyond the DJ working the sound system,the lights etc,to everyone out there keeping the era alive,keeping vinyl alive and to those that went onto the next generation (CDJ's) , personally i cant take to them,they're great,fookin hell they're amazing,never thought I'd see anything like them n never thought I'd see oldskoolers using them but suppose thats the sign of the times and progression , for an oldfart like me it'll always be "put the needle on the record" ....

And on that note: R.I.P. Technics SL1200/1210's - recent news of the cessation of production saddened me , suppose another sign of the times.....I wonder will Stanton / Vestax cease on the vacancy? or some new player , i hear murmurings that the Akiyama Acura DJ4000 has been an unsung superstar of Turnablism in the last couple of years (though relatively unknown in these parts), never seen nor heard of them until the other day but if what ive read is true then some of us stalwarts of Technics,Vestax,Stantons have been missing out! that said I think Panasonics decision re: the technics puts another massive nail in the coffin of Vinyl :(

Does anyone remember the Shaft or the System nightclubs had some
    amazing nights there the System sound system would leave your ears
    ringing afterwards.

Never been to shaft , been shafted alright lol , but yeah remember the System, only went to it a few times as my mate was DJ'ing and it ment getting in free lol :D

I know it was part of the next generation but for me after Olympic,Sides,G1,Asylum there was never going to be that rawness again, things kinda started to go a bit sterile with places, cleaner toilets,wanker doormen,BARS!! + Alcohol (damn you heathens lol) & the pretty posse clientele that the owners where aiming towards ya know, girls in heels n skirts,guys in pressed shirts n shoes ffs dress to impress policies....it just wasnt "raving" as i'd known it but still as long as DJ's i knew n loved where out playing you knew the tunes would be banging!!

I found my "home" in the Asylum , from the venue,the tunes n the people i met, my utopia,never left there feeling **** (unless on an early comedown lol) but one of the truest "rave" feeling i ever felt was the 1st time in G1 , it just felt "very illegal" and warehousey the way we were hearing it was across the water....full of apprehension in there just waiting for the garda to come storming in and put a halt to it.....and they didnt dissapoint!!

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE TO BRING US BACK???? ..............with this fookin recession there must be a hundred empty warehouses around the place lol :D I double dare someone.......lets really "revive the rave" in all its anti authority fook the system glory ,lets stick a middle finger up at them that tell us NO and say "Fook Off" lets gather the masses,lets raise their spirits,elevate them from the bleak wasteland our elected ones have thrust upon us,lets release the biggest show of euphoric emotion since 1990 and lets dance,drop E,reach for the sky,taste the muthafukin rainbow,Come on, Come on ,Cooooooome on .....

:o ......and breath,relax,sit back down,put slippers back on,drink some horlicks,relit the pipe,open the Sunday world and sigh *ahhhhh* reach into my cardigam pocket n unwrap another wurthers ...."young folk just dont know what went before them,youth ,wasted on the young"....nostalgia eh,aint like it used to be!!

Never been to shaft , been shafted alright lol , but yeah remember the System, only went to it a few times as my mate was DJ'ing and it ment getting in free lol :D

I know it was part of the next generation but for me after Olympic,Sides,G1,Asylum there was never going to be that rawness again, things kinda started to go a bit sterile with places, cleaner toilets,wanker doormen,BARS!! + Alcohol (damn you heathens lol) & the pretty posse clientele that the owners where aiming towards ya know, girls in heels n skirts,guys in pressed shirts n shoes ffs dress to impress policies....it just wasnt "raving" as i'd known it but still as long as DJ's i knew n loved where out playing you knew the tunes would be banging!!

I found my "home" in the Asylum , from the venue,the tunes n the people i met, my utopia,never left there feeling **** (unless on an early comedown lol) but one of the truest "rave" feeling i ever felt was the 1st time in G1 , it just felt "very illegal" and warehousey the way we were hearing it was across the water....full of apprehension in there just waiting for the garda to come storming in and put a halt to it.....and they didnt dissapoint!!

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE TO BRING US BACK???? ..............with this fookin recession there must be a hundred empty warehouses around the place lol :D I double dare someone.......lets really "revive the rave" in all its anti authority fook the system glory ,lets stick a middle finger up at them that tell us NO and say "Fook Off" lets gather the masses,lets raise their spirits,elevate them from the bleak wasteland our elected ones have thrust upon us,lets release the biggest show of euphoric emotion since 1990 and lets dance,drop E,reach for the sky,taste the muthafukin rainbow,Come on, Come on ,Cooooooome on .....

:o ......and breath,relax,sit back down,put slippers back on,drink some horlicks,relit the pipe,open the Sunday world and sigh *ahhhhh* reach into my cardigam pocket n unwrap another wurthers ...."young folk just dont know what went before them,youth ,wasted on the young"....nostalgia eh,aint like it used to be!!

Nice write man,had a bit of a giggle there.

Cheers Asa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Never had the pleasure to talk to any of the legends from bitd (apart from talking to Caf & Jay here or on YT ,) I never spoke to any of the DJ's back in the day,was always out of it and fully immersed in the night lol but never thought it was "cool" , to be honest with ya I didnt go out for the DJ's (at first) it was always about the tunes n having a great night but the more i went out the more I began to like one DJ from another, for me it was Warren hands down,man he never dissapointed,mind you many didnt,I remember Dilly playing savage sets,Pressure ,J Carey tearing the roof off manys a night,Dollard,etc etc the list goes on ,all greats and i'm sure all sound as, bang on, down to earth , as Tim Nicebutdim might say "thoroughly nice blokes" ,after all their just blokes that love the scene same as us (albeit with savage skills on the 1's n 2's who got to play at the legendary spots bitd)

But I've also been to many a private party where unknowns (or bedroom DJ's) absolutely nailed it....one in particular who went on to be a "warm up" DJ in The System ..."JOC" ,another been a friend of mine "Cal" and even these days listening to some of the lads sets that get put up here,cracking stuff,my good m8 Es Cee puts a savage set together,bilko does the biz too,as do many of us (i use "us" losely - i cant mix for toffee!!:o)

I tip my cap to everyone of us here n beyond that took the 1's n 2's as their instrument , to the guys beyond the DJ working the sound system,the lights etc,to everyone out there keeping the era alive,keeping vinyl alive and to those that went onto the next generation (CDJ's) , personally i cant take to them,they're great,fookin hell they're amazing,never thought I'd see anything like them n never thought I'd see oldskoolers using them but suppose thats the sign of the times and progression , for an oldfart like me it'll always be "put the needle on the record" ....

And on that note: R.I.P. Technics SL1200/1210's - recent news of the cessation of production saddened me , suppose another sign of the times.....I wonder will Stanton / Vestax cease on the vacancy? or some new player , i hear murmurings that the Akiyama Acura DJ4000 has been an unsung superstar of Turnablism in the last couple of years (though relatively unknown in these parts), never seen nor heard of them until the other day but if what ive read is true then some of us stalwarts of Technics,Vestax,Stantons have been missing out! that said I think Panasonics decision re: the technics puts another massive nail in the coffin of Vinyl :(

thanks for the mention there G, appreciate your kind words mate :)

it'll be wurthers and horlics for me soon enough as well man lol, big 28 tomorrow lol, were does the time go.

es-cee wrote: »

it'll be wurthers and horlics for me soon enough as well man lol, big 28 tomorrow lol, were does the time go.

Jasus man to be 28 again.Would be at the peak of my footballing days :D and still a plenty of life left for raving.:D

es-cee wrote: »

"Bah , fooking youngsters!!!! if i catch you throwing snowballs at my door" *waves fist* lol .... 2 years of youth left in ya buddy then it's welcome middleage!!! .....then you become like the rest of us oldskool oldfart dinosaurs lol "He never lost his hardcore.........he just couldn't remember where he left it!!" :D

As for the mention, well deserved I think,credit where its due m8, you've furnished me with some wicked sets and the lads over on OOS would agree!! take a bow ya fookin legend!!! ....but to me ,you'll still only be that cheeky upstart from boards ;) lol so dont go all fookin Tiesto or Halliwell on us lol:p

• Advertisement

.........and on that note , it's now time for me to go collect my offspring for another day of been reminded of just how young I aint!!!! :D

Laters chaps!!!

...... and for those of you who missed church this morning (tut tut)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Ohhhhhh my gosh"

"Bah , fooking youngsters!!!! if i catch you throwing snowballs at my door" *waves fist* lol .... 2 years of youth left in ya buddy then it's welcome middleage!!! .....then you become like the rest of us oldskool oldfart dinosaurs lol "He never lost his hardcore.........he just couldn't remember where he left it!!" :D

As for the mention, well deserved I think,credit where its due m8, you've furnished me with some wicked sets and the lads over on OOS would agree!! take a bow ya fookin legend!!! ....but to me ,you'll still only be that cheeky upstart from boards ;) lol so dont go all fookin Tiesto or Halliwell on us lol:p

would never go down that route G, i aint no trance cracker mate lol, hardcore junglist till i die man ;) thanks again for the mention, glad some of my sets have brightend a day or 2 for ya :D

...... and for those of you who missed church this morning (tut tut)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Ohhhhhh my gosh"

good aul GQ, king of MC's lol. posted this here before but its a great watch lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

any1 know the 1st 3 tracks on this mix? http://www.divshare.com/download/4224597-559

Some of you may have heard this one before , but here it is again, cracking set from Aphex Twin himself Mr Richard David James (an Irishman no less)

Aphex Twin Live @ Avalon in Boston - September 8, 1997
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mznkzmfzyie

250px-Aphex_Twin_2.jpg

N-Joi :D

Some of you may have heard this one before , but here it is again, cracking set from Aphex Twin himself Mr Richard David James (an Irishman no less)

Aphex Twin Live @ Avalon in Boston - September 8, 1997
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mznkzmfzyie

250px-Aphex_Twin_2.jpg

N-Joi :D

nice1 G, i'll have some of that bro, cheers ;)

Jungle is Masiff!!!!!! :D

Brockie & Grooverider March 1995 (The Wildcats Back)
    Side A
    http://www.mediafire.com/?okhkookwjmx

Side B
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tu05yjmuzhe

N-Joi

Jungle is Masiff!!!!!! :D

Brockie & Grooverider March 1995 (The Wildcats Back)
    Side A
    http://www.mediafire.com/?okhkookwjmx

Side B
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tu05yjmuzhe

N-Joi

jungle is always massive lol

• Advertisement

any1 know the 1st 3 tracks on this mix? http://www.divshare.com/download/4224597-559

1.Triangle - Sweet Harmony
    2.Deep Creed - Warrior's Dance (remixes)
    3.Astronuts - The Nasa EP Voyager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement