Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

Lads, as much as i love Oldskool and grew up on the stuff i can't listen to it anymore because there is better electronic dance music being produced today and thats not something i would have agreed with even 5 years ago but there is a big revival in trance music and not the cheesy stuff from the late 90's.

Check out some of stuff thats out there at the moment ..........

Goasia - Sunrise

Talamasca - Bach To Back

MerrOw - Aquarius

Red Gravity - Momentary 29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Stu wrote: »
    Lads, as much as i love Oldskool and grew up on the stuff i can't listin to it anymore because there is better electronic dance music being produced today and thats not something i would have agreed with even 5 years ago but there is a big revival in trance music and not the cheesy stuff from the late 90's.

Check out some of stuff thats out there at the moment ..........

Give it a blast so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Does any pva wood glue work?

yeah man, i just went to woodies and bought the 1st bottle of wood glue i seen, works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

es-cee wrote: »
    yeah man, i just went to woodies and bought the 1st bottle of wood glue i seen, works a treat.

I'll try it on a test record first, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I'll try it on a test record first, cheers.

Any woodglue will do m8, they're all more or less made up of the same compound....however I'd avoid the "super" or "ultra" ones just to be on the safe side:)
    Absolutely, test first, infact test one half of a side, you'll see the difference straight away,then you'll really hear it when you play the vinyl,you'll hear it switch between snap crackle & pop to a more crisper sound.:)

Here's something I certainly wont be trying!!! no matter what this slack jawed yokel thinks! :eek::eek::eek:

If you value your labels let alone your vinyl ...As they say on TV "dont try this at home" lol

• Advertisement

slack jawed yokel To%20funny.gif

just came across this earier, but i'm deffo gonna be watchin every wednesday from now on, some quality drum & bass in this 25 minute set by ed rush & optical, mc's a bit of a plank but hey its still a quality mix ;)

Here's another useful link, check this guys YT channel,this guy is very good with tips,tutorials & help with maintanence,fix its & how to's for your decks,he gives great step by step instruction,detail in his vids.Well worth a look if your thinking of giving your decks an NCT!! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/user/viperfrank

Replacing Pitchfaders

Resetting your Electronic brake

Replacing Target lights with LED's

just came across this earier, but i'm deffo gonna be watchin every wednesday from now on, some quality drum & bass in this 25 minute set by ed rush & optical, mc's a bit of a plank but hey its still a quality mix ;)

As we've debated in the past m8, good MC's are few n far between!! :rolleyes: I can count on one finger the amount of quality MC's lol .... GQ!!! End of :D

slack jawed yokel To%20funny.gif

"Hey Maw,looky here,i'm a cleaning my 45's in da sink with paw's power drill ahuh ahuh ahuh"
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjDb5zPTiDv7uuvYlPZ7bzN396SGs-P8xSdB1c-uL7Aiye2oSm

:D

• Advertisement

EarlERizer wrote: »
    As we've debated in the past m8, good MC's are few n far between!! :rolleyes: I can count on one finger the amount of quality MC's lol .... GQ!!! End of :D

yeah i'm not a big fan of them either, some quality sets ruined by mc's, asylum sets especially, those mc's shoulda been shot lol.

that dnbtv is live every wednesday from 7pm to 12am, just havin a quick flick thru some of the past sets, some quality stuff bein produced in the last while. mc's on every one tho but fcuk it, tunes are still mint :)

aceberg wrote: »

:eek: How blatant can ya get lol , never heard that Carpe Diem tune before :confused: i mean i've heard it as in I know the Top Buzz tune but not the carpe diem effort,if ya get me lol.

"Carpe Musicam" :D

:eek: How blatant can ya get lol , never heard that Carpe Diem tune before :confused: i mean i've heard it as in I know the Top Buzz tune but not the carpe diem effort,if ya get me lol.

"Carpe Musicam" :D

i know yeah, total rip off man.

yeah i'm not a big fan of them either, some quality sets ruined by mc's, asylum sets especially, those mc's shoulda been shot lol.

Like the E back then Sean , things cost alot more so shooting the MC's woulda cost a fortune!! lol ...... to be a good MC ya gotta have timing as good as a DJ, be familiar with the tunes and ya gotta have a good bass tone in your vocal ....and know when to shut the fcuk up!! ...... GQ for example lol :D first time i heard him MC i swore he was on the record!!

Like the E back then Sean , things cost alot more so shooting the MC's woulda cost a fortune!! lol ...... to be a good MC ya gotta have timing as good as a DJ, be familiar with the tunes and ya gotta have a good bass tone in your vocal ....and know when to shut the fcuk up!! ...... GQ for example lol :D first time i heard him MC i swore he was on the record!!

i'd have more a view similar to your scratchin views, mc's belong in rap imo not dance, a good mc can get the place goin alright but most of them are overbearin cúnts tbh. majika, scratch master techno, bassman are tape wreckers to name a few, and any irish mc as well.

i'd have more a view similar to your scratchin views, mc's belong in rap imo not dance, a good mc can get the place goin alright but most of them are overbearin cúnts tbh. majika, scratch master techno, bassman are tape wreckers to name a few, and any irish mc as well.

As with scratching, both originated in the hip hop/rap of the late 70's early 80's. MC'ing crept into the rave scene when "friends of the DJ" & "gig organisers/announcers" started taking the mic to talk to the crowd, I've a more detailed veiwpoint on this subject but i'll remain politically correct so as not to cause uproar ;) ....other than GQ there was one other MC i liked but only on this one set, never could catch his name (MC Marbles or MC Bottles lol his clarity left a lot to be desired lol ) but he MC'd at The Eclipse in Coventry and was MC the night it was televised as part of the "Not the Hitman & Her" special....my preference would be no MC at all,let the DJ do his thing and that gets the crowd going!! but as you say if he's a good MC n can enhance the vibe without jabbering sh1t at the crucial moment when a DJ "mixes" then thats cool.

(Not)The Hitman & Her - Eclipse Coventry Apr 10th 92

Check out a young DJ Phantasy!! :D

Have the audio for this somewhere, used to listen to it all the time bitd, my "getting ready to head out" tape recorded with a tape recorder and the video playing on the TV then going back and "editting" out the hitman n her talking !!! lol oldskool:o

As with scratching, both originated in the hip hop/rap of the late 70's early 80's. MC'ing crept into the rave scene when "friends of the DJ" & "gig organisers/announcers" started taking the mic to talk to the crowd, I've a more detailed veiwpoint on this subject but i'll remain politically correct so as not to cause uproar ;) ....other than GQ there was one other MC i liked but only on this one set, never could catch his name (MC Marbles or MC Bottles lol his clarity left a lot to be desired lol ) but he MC'd at The Eclipse in Coventry and was MC the night it was televised as part of the "Not the Hitman & Her" special....my preference would be no MC at all,let the DJ do his thing and that gets the crowd going!! but as you say if he's a good MC n can enhance the vibe without jabbering sh1t at the crucial moment when a DJ "mixes" then thats cool.

(Not)The Hitman & Her - Eclipse Coventry Apr 10th 92

Check out a young DJ Phantasy!! :D

Have the audio for this somewhere, used to listen to it all the time bitd, my "getting ready to head out" tape recorded with a tape recorder and the video playing on the TV then going back and "editting" out the hitman n her talking !!! lol oldskool:o

Do u remember the track that was played on the hit man and her.

These are the words these are the words these are the words of the rising sun....etc

Any ideas on the name of the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

Do u remember the track that was played on the hit man and her.

These are the words these are the words these are the words of the rising sun....etc

Any ideas on the name of the track.

:confused: Can you give a little more on this one ace? Is it played on any of those clips? when you say "do you remember the track that was played on the hitman and her" was it a specific track for a specific part of the show? like the theme or something? ..... im baffled here:o

• Advertisement

The earlier post re: Top Buzz / Carpe Diem got me thinking, all the tunes from bitd that used the same samples/beats etc , what others can you think of?

.... remember these?

From 1991

From 1996

or these ....

From 1987

From 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

1997 - Nick Warren, well worth checking out. 90 minutes with some real classics in there.

http://www.hybridized.org/sets/979

:confused: Can you give a little more on this one ace? Is it played on any of those clips? when you say "do you remember the track that was played on the hitman and her" was it a specific track for a specific part of the show? like the theme or something? ..... im baffled here:o

Not too sure if it was for a specific part of the show but it was played regurarly on it.Have'nt listened to the clips tbh,but it was a pretty pumping dance track for the time.Heavy bass drum heavy synth break and the vocals sang by a male voice

These are the words these are the words these are the words of the rising sun.
    There is a house in New orleans they call the rising sun and it's been the home of many a young boy and i know i'm the 1.

Some of you will know him,some wont..... Dr.Shulgin

The man with the plan! "E'z a geeza" :D

Not too sure if it was for a specific part of the show but it was played regurarly on it.Have'nt listened to the clips tbh,but it was a pretty pumping dance track for the time.Heavy bass drum heavy synth break and the vocals sang by a male voice

These are the words these are the words these are the words of the rising sun.
    There is a house in New orleans they call the rising sun and it's been the home of many a young boy and i know i'm the 1.

Ah, a man's vocal, i was thinking a woman,second line was a great help too.....

It's this, Havoc - The Rising Sun

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It would be nice to hang out with him for a weekend!

Pretty sure I posted a clip of this for ID here a while back... it wasn't IDd but since been on youtube, a pretty warped track but brilliant, nice and dark, can only imagine what the panning in this would do to your head while out of your head :pac:

http://www.discogs.com/Vauvenage-Flange-Stereo/release/163046

Vauvenage - Flange Stereo

It would be nice to hang out with him for a weekend!

Pretty sure I posted a clip of this for ID here a while back... it wasn't IDd but since been on youtube, a pretty warped track but brilliant, nice and dark, can only imagine what the panning in this would do to your head while out of your head :pac:

http://www.discogs.com/Vauvenage-Flange-Stereo/release/163046

Vauvenage - Flange Stereo

lol I tend to steer clear of that guys YT channel, he has enough people fooled already, a bullsh1t profile about all the tunes been his own personal collection of vinyl collected over the years.....but he goes on to list tunes incorrectly (or as listed in several files from torrents):rolleyes: how noone else has copped it is beyond me....anyways I wouldnt waste kudo's on him, i'd have more respect for him is he just did his channel and was honest about it....tosser!:mad:

But , yeah, mad tune alright lol :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

lol I tend to steer clear of that guys YT channel, he has enough people fooled already, a bullsh1t profile about all the tunes been his own personal collection of vinyl collected over the years.....but he goes on to list tunes incorrectly (or as listed in several files from torrents):rolleyes: how noone else has copped it is beyond me....anyways I wouldnt waste kudo's on him, i'd have more respect for him is he just did his channel and was honest about it....tosser!:mad:

But , yeah, mad tune alright lol :D

Funny actually, after I posted that track I was looking at the sheer volume of uploads that guy has, and then the fact that there are feck all views! Never seen his channel before... oh and I've always hated images of 'marina' type views for youtube tracks! :pac:

Funny actually, after I posted that track I was looking at the sheer volume of uploads that guy has, and then the fact that there are feck all views! Never seen his channel before... oh and I've always hated images of 'marina' type views for youtube tracks! :pac:

We could all have a channel like that SD, we all have mp3's (some more than others) and i've no beef with anyone who builds a channel that way but atleast be upfront about it ya know, I pm'd him about a year ago and asked him to upload the flipside of certain tunes he had uploaded and claimed were his fav vinyls....no response....mailed again....and got a reply saying they were all gone back into storage lol so i sent him a reply with words along the lines of "no worries man,here use this" and gave him a link to the torrent i knew he'd been using (with incorrectly labeled tunes) his uploads were hitting YT in alphabetical order exactly tune for tune from the torrent..... the silence was deafening!! lol

• Advertisement

fcukin tune!!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement