Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Its called O'Briens lads, Mercantile is just beside it though so we will forgive you G, as you were most certainly mashed upon entering the premises many moons ago:D

(from the back lane)

146110.JPG

This is what the DJ Box looks like now,

146111.JPG

Here it is from the back lanne which we used to go in through after the OLYMPIC before the ASYLUM, befor the ASYLUM became the only venue of choice, many a narcotic bought in this laneway.:)

146112.JPG

Nice 1 Key , as ya know, I wasn't a regular at sides,can count on one hand the amount of times i was there.....remember an older post where I mentioned some peers from my missinformed youth convincing me that it was a "queers shop" :o so ya darent mention sides for fear of a feirce slagging,obviously the "myth" faded and heads started to go there, i guess word of mouth broke the resistance lol, I went to it a few times just before the Asylum opened.

..... so after the Olympic it was usually back to a gaff or out to a place in Blanch were DJ Coates used to play (he was a friend of a friend) but then the Asylum become our place so it usually went Olympic-Jimmy Deans (for scaldy n meet ups n that)-Asylum-Anywhere we could get a cup of scaldy-Back to a gaff/Back home to bed

Give ya a laugh, one of the first times I went to Sides (on the sly lol after much persuasion from a few lads i knew from the estate who wouldnt be part of the main clique) arrived at the door on the way up ;) ,bloke says "not tonight lads" heads wrecked,3 of us stood there feeling the effects of pills popped on the bus on the way to town,we begin the ritual pleading for passage ,ya know "we came in all the way from tallaght,come on man ya have to let us in,we're not even drunk (pilled up mind but not drunk lol) ... anyways,cut a long story short,bloke keeps saying "look lads,not tonight" but eventually gets pissed off n says "d'yis really want to go in yeah"? - "YES" - "are yis sure now" - "YES" - "and no acting the bollox from yis?" - "NO MAN WE SWEAR" - he says "right go on then" n him n his cohorts are laughing ....so in we go ....im half paranoid....stopped dead in out tracks.....IT WAS A FOOKIN GOTH NIGHT!!!!:eek::eek: Load of fookin pasty faced fooks slowly spinning round n round hugging themselves* .....fookin turned on our heels n walking back out to ask for our money back and there's the fooker pissing himself laughing at us "told yis not tonight lads"....no money back,pilled up,head wrecked,Melter!!....needless to say I never went into town with those gob****es again after that.

*:D prefered the pasty faced fookers giving it socks to savage tunage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Nice 1 Key , as ya know, I wasn't a regular at sides,can count on one hand the amount of times i was there.....remember an older post where I mentioned some peers from my missinformed youth convincing me that it was a "queers shop" :o so ya darent mention sides for fear of a feirce slagging,obviously the "myth" faded and heads started to go there, i guess word of mouth broke the resistance lol, I went to it a few times just before the Asylum opened.

..... so after the Olympic it was usually back to a gaff or out to a place in Blanch were DJ Coates used to play (he was a friend of a friend) but then the Asylum become our place so it usually went Olympic-Jimmy Deans (for scaldy n meet ups n that)-Asylum-Anywhere we could get a cup of scaldy-Back to a gaff/Back home to bed

Give ya a laugh, one of the first times I went to Sides (on the sly lol after much persuasion from a few lads i knew from the estate who wouldnt be part of the main clique) arrived at the door on the way up ;) ,bloke says "not tonight lads" heads wrecked,3 of us stood there feeling the effects of pills popped on the bus on the way to town,we begin the ritual pleading for passage ,ya know "we came in all the way from tallaght,come on man ya have to let us in,we're not even drunk (pilled up mind but not drunk lol) ... anyways,cut a long story short,bloke keeps saying "look lads,not tonight" but eventually gets pissed off n says "d'yis really want to go in yeah"? - "YES" - "are yis sure now" - "YES" - "and no acting the bollox from yis?" - "NO MAN WE SWEAR" - he says "right go on then" n him n his cohorts are laughing ....so in we go ....im half paranoid....stopped dead in out tracks.....IT WAS A FOOKIN GOTH NIGHT!!!!:eek::eek: Load of fookin pasty faced fooks slowly spinning round n round hugging themselves* .....fookin turned on our heels n walking back out to ask for our money back and there's the fooker pissing himself laughing at us "told yis not tonight lads"....no money back,pilled up,head wrecked,Melter!!....needless to say I never went into town with those gob****es again after that.

*:D prefered the pasty faced fookers giving it socks to savage tunage!!

lmfao G, fcukin goths haha, i thought that sh1t only came in with marylin manson ffs lolololololol. were'd ya's end up goin after that, the olympic or somethin?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

:D Shaking me tune tin tonight lads ..... I have the vinyl of M/D/M/A - The Creator/Karma Chant (fookin savage tunes!!!) but i'm chasing their other stuff, namely the tunes they released on the 1996 compilation "Final Induction" .....anyone out there got it? or got any other tunes from these 2 Dublin lads?

Nice 1

R-1509119-1224961944.jpeg

Yeah have it here for ya G!! But for some reason it wont extract Track 7 (I Need You) for me.

M/D/M/A - The Final Induction

http://www.mediafire.com/?4tfjy3mft9x

germulhall wrote: »
    Yeah have it here for ya G!! But for some reason it wont extract Track 7 (I Need You) for me.

not sure how to fix corrupted zip & rar files but, there is a test function on the task bar of winrar that might be of some help in locating the source of the problem ger, might be of some help to ya i hope mate :)

es-cee wrote: »
    not sure how to fix corrupted zip & rar files but, there is a test function on the task bar of winrar that might be of some help in locating the source of the problem ger, might be of some help to ya i hope mate :)

Fair play Sean. Will try that out now man. Its has to be in there somewhere as the Rar file is 94.2MB and the extracted file is 87.3MB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Nice one, that 104 Rapid Pulses is one of my personal favourite tunes of all time. I had it on White Label with "I need you" as the B side. Billy sold it to me - telling me it was a tune by Warren K! For years I was looking for "Warrens Tune" and one day me nephew bought that Final Induction CD. Couldn't believe it when listening to it and 104 Rapid Pulses came on! Nephew said he never seen such a big smile on my face.

lmfao G, fcukin goths haha, i thought that sh1t only came in with marylin manson ffs lolololololol. were'd ya's end up goin after that, the olympic or somethin?

Nah Sean, we tried the fooking Harp (why I dont know) got refused and ended up walking round to the quays n jumping on the 50A n heading back to Tallaght, I fooked off n went to a m8's gaff n ended up going to a session in a house in Springfield,dont know what the others did ......last time i ever went "raving" with them!!! :o ..... when i say "goth" I mean it was like a room full of "cure heads" ya know, all deepressed looking fookers.....either that or they all scored dodgy yokes lol.

germulhall wrote: »

Fair play Ger, top man!!! :D ,hopefully someone will suss out how to sort out number 7.....delighted to get this!! Nice 1 bruvva!!

heres a little vid for ya G ;)

SteoL wrote: »
    Nice one, that 104 Rapid Pulses is one of my personal favourite tunes of all time. I had it on White Label with "I need you" as the B side. Billy sold it to me - telling me it was a tune by Warren K! For years I was looking for "Warrens Tune" and one day me nephew bought that Final Induction CD. Couldn't believe it when listening to it and 104 Rapid Pulses came on! Nephew said he never seen such a big smile on my face.

No bother Steo. Yeah its a banger alright man. Nothing better when ya find a tune like that after chasing it for so long. What are the chances eh!! Woulda been a shame not to upload it as well.

Fair play Ger, top man!!! :D ,hopefully someone will suss out how to sort out number 7.....delighted to get this!! Nice 1 bruvva!!

My pleasure G!! Anytime mate. Just got sent track 7 there a short while ago. Here ya go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?koeompvy3a4v5oj

• Advertisement

heres a little vid for ya G ;)

What a plank lol :D nice 1 Es , cant stand all that circus crap :rolleyes: just let the hands n the tunes do the dazzling!

I know alot of the lads here dont do hip hop but did ya know that if it werent for the birth of hip hop we may never have come to where we are today ie. mixing,scratching the tunes we all know n love! .... we all owe a salute to this man....DJ Kool Herc from him came the art of mixing.....following in his footsteps came Grandmaster Flash, Africa Bambaataa & the Zulu Nation and so on and so on, these guys brought the art of beatmatching,mixing to a wider audience and with it the drive and desire for guys to get behind the turntables and try new things, the art moved with the changes in music,crossing cultures,genres and continents to become what it is today.

Incidentally,did you know it's thanks to Herc's protogee Grandmaster Flash that we have "cue" capabilities on our mixers? bitd (mid/late 70's) there was no way of cueing the 2nd deck through your earphones,they relied on knowing their tunes and a keen eye on where they put the needle! Flash "invented" the cue function and it became a standard on mixers ever since.

So while we all hail George C Coleman for giving us the legendary "Amen Break" we should also give a nod to Kool Herc & Flash for planting the seeds that grew into DJ'ing/Turntabilism as we know it today!!

Call it .... "The Breakbeat Butterfly Effect" :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I started to upload that MDMA EP but my broadband isn't having any of it - I'll upload it later when done online and pop it up over on NI... assuming that you visit NI as most here do???!

I started to upload that MDMA EP but my broadband isn't having any of it - I'll upload it later when done online and pop it up over on NI... assuming that you visit NI as most here do???!

:o I actually dont m8 lol i must be one of the only ones here that doesn't .... I get my fix here & on occasion over on onlyoldskool.com and visually through YT .... i've never even had a pagne of curiousity to take me to nioldskool .... I'll have to have a nosey :D

Fair play t'ya though, top man SD!!

Call it .... "The Breakbeat Butterfly Effect" :D

:D:D:D good to have a term for it lol ;)

:o I actually dont m8 lol i must be one of the only ones here that doesn't .... I get my fix here & on occasion over on onlyoldskool.com and visually through YT .... i've never even had a pagne of curiousity to take me to nioldskool .... I'll have to have a nosey :D

Fair play t'ya though, top man SD!!

I very rarely visit there now - it was great a few years ago, probably around 2003 or so as people were really just starting to dig into their vinyl collections and rip them... then popping them up on NI, the amount of tracks I got ID'd at the time was feckin unreal! There was nights where you'd literally be on for hours while tracks were fired up fresh from being ripped - a few tins to accompany while waiting for the next gem to go up! I had a turntable fired & up hooked up to a recordable MP3 player and ripping tracks like mad... ah the good old days of talking about the good old days :pac:

Just listening to this earlier today, a nice dark bit of techno from 1994 on Tresor... love the spoken intro, quality track.

System 01 - Drugs Work

:D:D:D good to have a term for it lol ;)

lol I better get it copyrighted!!! :D remember where ya heard it first! :cool:

....lol I'll write a detailed book on the history of DJ'ing and title it "From Kool Herc to Hercules - The Breakbeat Butterfly Effect" ....it'll be right up there with purlitzer prize winner "Fly fishing" by J.R. Hartley :D

... ah the good old days of talking about the good old days :pac:

:D Classic!! .... Nostalgia eh?! ...ain't like it used to be!! :rolleyes:

Thinking about those older days on NI has me digging back into a few old gems again :pac:

Voov - It's Anything You Want It To Be, And It's A Gas

This is a fckin belter of a track... full on dark acid techno. Love the way it kicks back in after the break at 1.18.

Spira - Bruised

• Advertisement

lol I better get it copyrighted!!! :D remember where ya heard it first! :cool:

....lol I'll write a detailed book on the history of DJ'ing and title it "From Kool Herc to Hercules - The Breakbeat Butterfly Effect" ....it'll be right up there with purlitzer prize winner "Fly fishing" by J.R. Hartley :D

get onto oxford dictionary and thesaurus and copyright it a.s.a.p. :D

Thinking about those older days on NI has me digging back into a few old gems again :pac:

Voov - It's Anything You Want It To Be, And It's A Gas

This is a fckin belter of a track... full on dark acid techno. Love the way it kicks back in after the break at 1.18.

Spira - Bruised

pitty trance got hijacked by the cheese crew in the late 90's, it was so promising as a genre but got twisted into the commercial crap that every1 hates now :(

EDIT: just have to add, that 2nd track is a fcukin stomper mate

Love this from Resistance D, brilliant brilliant track... did I mention it was brilliant?

RD1 - Eclipse

pitty trance got hijacked by the cheese crew in the late 90's, it was so promising as a genre but got twisted into the commercial crap that every1 hates now :(

Yeah once it became fluffy and nice basically! - I kind of consider 1996 or so as the cut off point to be honest.

Yeah once it became fluffy and nice basically! - I kind of consider 1996 or so as the cut off point to be honest.

couldn't agree more, i love the faster darker stuff from the likes of the asylum and the like, up as far as bout '95. but deffo took a nose dive in the latter end of the mid 90's big time.

Another belting bit of techno - Re:Load banged out some serious numbers back then.

Nail - I Am Them (Accelerator Remix)

couldn't agree more, i love the faster darker stuff from the likes of the asylum and the like, up as far as bout '95. but deffo took a nose dive in the latter end of the mid 90's big time.

The early trance was definitely the best for me, where it was still a blend really of techno and trance... and also when it moved on to the acid trance nearer to the mid 90s on the likes of Noom etc, quality stuff.

Tandu - Acido

The early trance was definitely the best for me, where it was still a blend really of techno and trance... and also when it moved on to the acid trance nearer to the mid 90s on the likes of Noom etc, quality stuff.

Tandu - Acido

absolutely love that track mate, its actually on my shoppin list to get from discogs soon :) also love the acid effect in alot of the noom labels tunes, the likes of this tune you'v just posted would be my fav genre other than breakbeat, darkness and hardcore 1st then acidy hard trance ;)

absolutely love that track mate, its actually on my shoppin list to get from discogs soon :) also love the acid effect in alot of the noom labels tunes, the likes of this tune you'v just posted would be my fav genre other than breakbeat, darkness and hardcore 1st then acidy hard trance ;)

Yeah a great track, was a big one with the likes of Billy Nasty around then. There was a fckin great mix he did then that had that Acido track later in the mix and also this cracker earlier on... took me years to ID this and finally got a copy a few years back - check out the fcking break in this gem from 2.08 and when it kicks back in at about 3.17... mental.

DJ Tim & Ortega - Heartbreak

• Advertisement

Yeah a great track, was a big one with the likes of Billy Nasty around then. There was a fckin great mix he did then that had that Acido track later in the mix and also this cracker earlier on... took me years to ID this and finally got a copy a few years back - check out the fcking break in this gem from 2.08 and when it kicks back in at about 3.17... mental.

DJ Tim & Ortega - Heartbreak

yeah deffo has that dj tim sound alright, similar kinda break and build up to access.

this is another one i quite like on noom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement