Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I see your Papillon, and raise you the Pump Panel remix :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Heya lads, sorry for the spam but I thought some of you may be interested in this...

Some mates of mine Giles & Conky are starting a new night in the Mercantile called Torque. The reason I though some of you might be interested in it, is because this is the same venue as the infamous "Sides DC" (1986-1996), I'm sure many of you would have been there and had fond memories. It's reopening now fora new night with House and Techno on Saturdays, and its Free Entry too which is great.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=182663771771931

Have many of you been to Sides D.C back in the day?

Cheers
    Colly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Zascar wrote: »
    Heya lads, sorry for the spam but I thought some of you may be interested in this...

Some mates of mine Giles & Conky are starting a new night in the Mercantile called Torque. The reason I though some of you might be interested in it, is because this is the same venue as the infamous "Sides DC" (1986-1996), I'm sure many of you would have been there and had fond memories. It's reopening now fora new night with House and Techno on Saturdays, and its Free Entry too which is great.

Cheers
    Colly

Good man colly,

Is this going to be a regular night?

I would love to go to this for old time sake, i know it wont be Sides but just to hear some quality house in the old haunt again would be fuc.king dynamite (is that out of an oldskool tune:D)

Thanks for the heads up chief.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yea I think so. Just to be clear this is not an old skool night at all, will be standard house & techno - Al Keegan & Citizen Black playing this Sat. I'm interested to check out the venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Cheers
    Colly

sounds interesting alright, was too young for sides bitd, unfortunately it closed 2 years before my clubbin career got into full swing but if its a regular night i may drop in some time and see what its like.
    cheers for the heads up man ;)

• Advertisement

Yea I think so. Just to be clear this is not an old skool night at all, will be standard house & techno - Al Keegan & Citizen Black playing this Sat. I'm interested to check out the venue!

Didnt think it was an oldskool night but i may be persuaded by some quality tunes all the same, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Wasn't it "The Mercantile" or something? I wouldnt have called it "snobby" lol I was in it a few times with workmates over the years but suppose more "up market" in comparision to how we'd all have remembered it.

Though i'm with ya on the wishful thinking lol but as has been said already, no matter what they did or how they did it it just wouldnt be the same now.
    aceberg wrote: »
    Ne don't think it was the Mercantile,Sides was further up dame street.
    Its called O'Briens lads, Mercantile is just beside it though so we will forgive you G, as you were most certainly mashed upon entering the premises many moons ago:D

(from the back lane)

146110.JPG

This is what the DJ Box looks like now,

146111.JPG

Here it is from the back lanne which we used to go in through after the OLYMPIC before the ASYLUM, befor the ASYLUM became the only venue of choice, many a narcotic bought in this laneway.:)

146112.JPG
    Nice 1 Key , as ya know, I wasn't a regular at sides,can count on one hand the amount of times i was there.....remember an older post where I mentioned some peers from my missinformed youth convincing me that it was a "queers shop" :o so ya darent mention sides for fear of a feirce slagging,obviously the "myth" faded and heads started to go there, i guess word of mouth broke the resistance lol, I went to it a few times just before the Asylum opened.

..... so after the Olympic it was usually back to a gaff or out to a place in Blanch were DJ Coates used to play (he was a friend of a friend) but then the Asylum become our place so it usually went Olympic-Jimmy Deans (for scaldy n meet ups n that)-Asylum-Anywhere we could get a cup of scaldy-Back to a gaff/Back home to bed

Give ya a laugh, one of the first times I went to Sides (on the sly lol after much persuasion from a few lads i knew from the estate who wouldnt be part of the main clique) arrived at the door on the way up ;) ,bloke says "not tonight lads" heads wrecked,3 of us stood there feeling the effects of pills popped on the bus on the way to town,we begin the ritual pleading for passage ,ya know "we came in all the way from tallaght,come on man ya have to let us in,we're not even drunk (pilled up mind but not drunk lol) ... anyways,cut a long story short,bloke keeps saying "look lads,not tonight" but eventually gets pissed off n says "d'yis really want to go in yeah"? - "YES" - "are yis sure now" - "YES" - "and no acting the bollox from yis?" - "NO MAN WE SWEAR" - he says "right go on then" n him n his cohorts are laughing ....so in we go ....im half paranoid....stopped dead in out tracks.....IT WAS A FOOKIN GOTH NIGHT!!!!:eek::eek: Load of fookin pasty faced fooks slowly spinning round n round hugging themselves* .....fookin turned on our heels n walking back out to ask for our money back and there's the fooker pissing himself laughing at us "told yis not tonight lads"....no money back,pilled up,head wrecked,Melter!!....needless to say I never went into town with those gob****es again after that.

*:D prefered the pasty faced fookers giving it socks to savage tunage!!

Cheers
    Colly
    Good man colly,

Is this going to be a regular night?

I would love to go to this for old time sake, i know it wont be Sides but just to hear some quality house in the old haunt again would be fuc.king dynamite (is that out of an oldskool tune:D)

Thanks for the heads up chief.

:confused::confused::confused: OK , Now i'm totally lost, was the Mercantile the old Sides DC spot or was it O'Briens??? :confused:

:confused::confused::confused: OK , Now i'm totally lost, was the Mercantile the old Sides DC spot or was it O'Briens??? :confused:

Im only after noticing that now that you said it, 100% it was O'Briens.

Im only after noticing that now that you said it, 100% it was O'Briens.

Which would mean that this upcoming "Torque" thingy is nothing more than a House/Techno night in a boozer on dame street next door to a pub that used to be Sides DC ?

Really? Hmmm ok, sorry this is just what I was told... I'll check it out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Sides in the 1980's used to be a mixed/gay club that just sold wine,around 1989 the music policy was changing and they started playing Acid House fused with other styles, when i started going in 1990 i was blown away,this was the only place playing Acid House/Bleep/Madchester and early House,most people wore flares and hoody tops (Madchester scene) i remember those Fido Dido 7-Up it's cool to be clear t-shirts were popular at that time, i used to wear a Happy Mondays "Madchester - Rave On" t-shirt with a floppy hat,kickers and 25` flares, yokes were nigh on impossible to get in Sides then (as opposed to later years to come:eek:;)) but i managed to source a half a pill paying £18:eek: which was my second ever pill, even though it was a half i danced till about 6.30am and when we left we sat outside the old fountain by the central banK and chilled for hours.....ahhh the memories;)

Which would mean that this upcoming "Torque" thingy is nothing more than a House/Techno night in a boozer on dame street next door to a pub that used to be Sides DC ?

good man G, always the eye for detail ;)

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Sides in the 1980's used to be a mixed/gay club that just sold wine,around 1989 the music policy was changing and they started playing Acid House fused with other styles, when i started going in 1990 i was blown away,this was the only place playing Acid House/Bleep/Madchester and early House,most people wore flares and hoody tops (Madchester scene) i remember those Fido Dido 7-Up it's cool to be clear t-shirts were popular at that time, i used to wear a Happy Mondays "Madchester - Rave On" t-shirt with a floppy hat,kickers and 25` flares, yokes were nigh on impossible to get in Sides then (as opposed to later years to come:eek:;)) but i managed to source a half a pill paying £18:eek: which was my second ever pill, even though it was a half i danced till about 6.30am and when we left we sat outside the old fountain by the central band and chilled for hours.....ahhh the memories;)

fido dido t-shirts lol, i may have been a child at the time but i remember them like it was yesterday.
    ya gotta love the acid house too, its what got me into the scene at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was the old Sides not both of those pubs?

You'd enter at ground level (where those pictures of Brokers and O'Brien's are) and then head downstairs to the small Bar area, and you'd have to go back up another stairs (back on ground level) to the main dancefloor that was where the Mercantile and O'Briens are now?

Cheers
    Colly
    Zascar i was a regular in Sides from 1990-1996 id go along to this BUT you'd simply have to play at least some Sides classics given we were actually in the sacred building that used to stage Irelands greatest ever clubwink.gifwink.gif

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was the old Sides not both of those pubs?

You'd enter at ground level (where those pictures of Brokers and O'Brien's are) and then head downstairs to the small Bar area, and you'd have to back up another stairs (back on ground level) to the main dancefloor that was where the Mercantile and O'Briens are now?

yeah your right man it was both of them.

I assume most have sene this on here, for those who haven't..

THIS WAS SIDES:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's towards the end though? About '94? Wasn't a fan of the music around that time.

Sides in the 1980's used to be a mixed/gay club that just sold wine,around 1989 the music policy was changing and they started playing Acid House fused with other styles, when i started going in 1990 i was blown away,this was the only place playing Acid House/Bleep/Madchester and early House,most people wore flares and hoody tops (Madchester scene) i remember those Fido Dido 7-Up it's cool to be clear t-shirts were popular at that time, i used to wear a Happy Mondays "Madchester - Rave On" t-shirt with a floppy hat,kickers and 25` flares, yokes were nigh on impossible to get in Sides then (as opposed to later years to come:eek:;)) but i managed to source a half a pill paying £18:eek: which was my second ever pill, even though it was a half i danced till about 6.30am and when we left we sat outside the old fountain by the central band and chilled for hours.....ahhh the memories;)

Around the same time (1990) and in much the same garb,though i believe the widest my flares went was probably only 20 - 22", acid hoodies and tie dye t-shirts (used to wear those fookin beaded necklaces too lol - the ones you could buy on o'connell bridge-white or black with intermitant reds) and sporting the beginings of a mop top esque curtains hairstyle,later growing to be tied back in a pony :o.... I was frequenting La Mirage which played alot of the "chart" dance music of the day (my fave at the tme been "dub be good to me" :o but gradually building up lenghty playlists of "imports" & "white labels" of dance tunes we weren't hearing anywhere else at that time,then becoming mainstream after a couple of months.....it later closed....only to re-open after a year or so under a new name.....The Asylum :D ...and the rest as they say.....

yeah your right man it was both of them.

:rolleyes: Ahhhh so I was right all along! Key, seems you were right too lol ..... and only Aceberg was wrong :p "further up dame street,he said" *pfffft* :pac::pac::pac: lol

:eek: Brainwave!!!! ..... hire out open top bus and begin "oldskool revival tours of Dublins dance spots from bitd" , get the old tunes playing over the tannoy and fill up on nostalgia craving oldskoolers......:D guess it's more or less the same open top dublin tour along the quays and up the main throughafare .....and on 2nd thoughts ,maybe a bus load of buzz chasers isnt such a good idea on an open top bus :rolleyes: we'd never get the insurance! lol

back to the drawing board :( ..... anyone wanna buy a kidney? :D

• Advertisement

i'm on an acid house buzz here now since jonny mentioned it, have a hacienda acid house classics compilation blastin here now, voodoo ray!!!!! :D

:rolleyes: Ahhhh so I was right all along! Key, seems you were right too lol ..... and only Aceberg was wrong :p "further up dame street,he said" *pfffft* :pac::pac::pac: lol

:eek: Brainwave!!!! ..... hire out open top bus and begin "oldskool revival tours of Dublins dance spots from bitd" , get the old tunes playing over the tannoy and fill up on nostalgia craving oldskoolers......:D guess it's more or less the same open top dublin tour along the quays and up the main throughafare .....and on 2nd thoughts ,maybe a bus load of buzz chasers isnt such a good idea on an open top bus :rolleyes: we'd never get the insurance! lol

back to the drawing board :( ..... anyone wanna buy a kidney? :D

LOL great post
    GENIUS IDEA :D

Post it up all over the Internet for any old skoolers from abroad that may be in Dublin for the weekend who wanted a guided tour of the classic Dublin clubs (none of which are sadly still open:()

Warehouse Rave afterwards too ;):D

Around the same time (1990) and in much the same garb,though i believe the widest my flares went was probably only 20 - 22", acid hoodies and tie dye t-shirts (used to wear those fookin beaded necklaces too lol - the ones you could buy on o'connell bridge-white or black with intermitant reds) and sporting the beginings of a mop top esque curtains hairstyle,later growing to be tied back in a pony :o.... I was frequenting La Mirage which played alot of the "chart" dance music of the day (my fave at the tme been "dub be good to me" :o but gradually building up lenghty playlists of "imports" & "white labels" of dance tunes we weren't hearing anywhere else at that time,then becoming mainstream after a couple of months.....it later closed....only to re-open after a year or so under a new name.....The Asylum :D ...and the rest as they say.....
    good old La Mirage i used to get free passes for there and go occasionaly :o:D remember Dalys pub on the quays and Applie Annies upstairs, that was the first place i ever remember playing Technotronic and some of the more commerial Acid House

Here's a tune a mate of mine from London DJ Rizzla made 8 years ago,killer Hardcore tune:cool:

A tune written and produced by myself - DJ Rizzla, in March 2003.

Released on 12" vinyl a year later on 'Underground Feeling' Records (a Hardcore Breaks label) - Summer 2004.

A manic '93 Hardcore sounding tune with a cheeky Madonna sample thrown in for good measure !

The video images are taken from an old Amiga demo.

Enjoy.....and watch those bass bins !

( http://www.discogs.com/release/324429 )

es-cee wrote: »
    fido dido t-shirts lol, i may have been a child at the time but i remember them like it was yesterday.
    ya gotta love the acid house too, its what got me into the scene at such a young age.

The stalls around Moore street/Ilac centre did a roaring trade in cheap knock off t-shirts back then, pretty sure i had a "ido dido" or a fido did" lol remember all the rave orientated play on everyday products t-shirts? .... even the clothes shops that sprung up around moore street,ilac centre,the gap arcade,mary street, used to be great just browsing and listening to the tunes, one in particular on the corner across from the gap arcade heading towards the ilac ,used to have a resident dj spinning tunes and a beehive of assistants trying to charm ya into buying the "latest gear from England lads,they're all wearing them over in Manchester/Liverpool/London etc" ,labels like Logic,Toxic,Soul II Soul etc,it wasnt just the nights out back then , the whole week was orientated around the scene,hanging round town with your mates,shopping,window shopping,scouting,was all geared toward the coming weekend....am i been too nostalgic here or did we all just get along better back then? I used to talk to all n any , ya knew who the buzzers were (for starters we were all dressed the same lol)

:D Right ,for the craic, ..... What was your fav rave get up? gloves,whistles,hats,masks,etc etc......and what was your worst?

Mine...
    Fav - Black Public Enemy long sleeve t-shirt,indigo flares and a pair of black n navy BK's ,topped off with a 1 of a kind denim "campo" hat (my mum was a seamstress bitd) made from an old pair of jeans (using and old "champion" knockoff from FM Music shop as a pattern)

Faux Pas - Went to the Olympic/Asylum one night in my brand new white logic long sleeve t-shirt (had the moving shadow logo on the front n sleeves),white baggies,white campo,white fila's and white gloves with a white dusk mask :o:o:o I thought i looked the dogs!!! needless to say i never was able to wear any of them again (bar the fila's)

Learnt after that (especially for the Asylum) to wear any aul t-shirt n jeans n keep the trendy sh1t for hanging round town,shopping n the like.

was only a kid at the time but had all those poxy lookin x-worx and pertro motion jeans anall that sh1t haha. i remember that shop beside barneys lane was great for them lol, hairy legs it was called if memory serves me right lol.

good old La Mirage i used to get free passes for there and go occasionaly :o:D remember Dalys pub on the quays and Applie Annies upstairs, that was the first place i ever remember playing Technotronic and some of the more commerial Acid House

Only too well m8 lol first place i ever went to in town was Apple Annies, the narrowest stairwell i've ever seen!!! jaysus trying to get past that big fooker on the door n then navigate those stairs whilst trying to look "sober" (i was 16/17) lol it's were i heard about La Mirage .....the hedonism lol they sold cans of beer there :eek: remember some poor fooker breaking his ankle on the stairs of La Mirage after slipping on a discarded can of Holsten pils lol .......:o actually i tell a lie....first place i ever went in town was ......The Apartments :o:o:o was supposed to be Apple Annies but we got it wrong and ended up there!

es-cee wrote: »
    was only a kid at the time but had all those poxy lookin x-worx and pertro motion jeans anall that sh1t haha. i remember that shop beside barneys lane was great for them lol, hairy legs it was called if memory serves me right lol.

lol x worx lmao yeah man remember them lol , i remember hairy legs on liffey street, i cant remember the name of the shop i was on about,was two floors, if you came in from oconnell street walking towards liffey street ,past korkys n all them shops,first turn on your right (as if going to the Ilac centre) and it was right there on the corner, 2 stories,always packed,dj playing,great for flyers too! used to head there just to browse n listen to the tunes lol

:eek: Fook, just remembered.....im no longer in the 90's and have a 3yr old waiting to be collected from preskool ...... bad dad!!!! :o

laters folks .....

• Advertisement

:eek: Fook, just remembered.....im no longer in the 90's and have a 3yr old waiting to be collected from preskool ...... bad dad!!!! :o

laters folks .....

hahahahahahahahahahaha, ;):D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement