Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

sgtbilko01 wrote: »
    Cheers mate..all's well..Moved house Twice in last eight weeks lol.I ain't moving again unless i hit the Eurogazillions!!

Did couple mix's in between the mayhem,but not up on MF yet/gunna do another oldskool mix as thats all iv'e been listening to lately:D

They say eveything comes in three's...25th June is my birthday,the babys also due the 25th and now i hear a proper Asylum reunion is on the foookin 25th.How am i gunna make it :eek: I'll just have to wait another ten years so

Awh man, thats a nice dilemma for ya lol lets hope the new addition is either 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late! put off the birthday celebrations and be on your best, do nothing on daddy's day and score extra 'going out' points and with a bit of luck you'll not have to wait 10 years for the next one!! Congratulations on settling in house 3 lol

And in the meantime.......another cracker from the Boscaland label (or its offspring Bosca Beats to be precise) Madely - Shindo (Epic mix)

:D

es-cee wrote: »
    the prodigy are releasing video from live shows all over the world on dvd & blu-ray in may, looks good from what i've seen and its also doin the rounds atm in cinema's as well. mate of mine said its showin over in dundrum if any of ya's are interested in seein it on the big screen with surround sound, i'd say it would be tops in a cinema.
    anyway, check out there site for info if ya's are interested in it.

http://theprodigy.com/index.php

Ya looking for someone to go halves on a bucket of popcorn Es? ;) lol ...... There's a few vids of this on the tube , looks savage! think i'd prefer it if they did all their older stuff, they're the dogs n all but just not into the cyberpunk mode lol

.....and check this out for a truly unique cinema experience!!!! fookin class!

Throwing this up again as i think it's their finest peice for years, going right back to the oldskool sound!! and the vid is cooler than a polar bears pi$$ !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

lol yeah man, haven't had cinema popcorn in ages now haha, fcukin dear enough too!!! i'd say that prodigy thing would be savage in the cinema tho, with all the surround sound and all that stuff, pop a few pills hahaha, mad out of it as if ya were in a club lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Have this vinyl meself, but it's on the 'Global Unification' release , my fav been the BZ Cong mix

Fair play,this is the mix i remember;)Wait minute... r they the same just named diff??

Fair play,this is the mix i remember;)Wait minute... r they the same just named diff??

lol sounds like the same tune,i think the one you posted here maybe wrong info,i'm not familiar with that "Poet" tune so cant say for sure but the tune I have uploaded is definitely Svenson & The Dentist - Jaccobs Ladder (BZ Cong mix) - with all the soundbites from the Jacobs ladder film.

i'm curious now to hear the actual "Poet" tune :confused:

Yep....he's got them mixed up!!!

This is "the poet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

he's meant to be collaborating with snoop dogg on makin a new track, seriously now no mess lol.
    what a sell out that snoop dogg is, from gangsta rap to lady gaga videos and beyond,
    he's an inspiration to money hungry cúnts everywere :D

I remember when Ice Cube went solo from NWA they used a phrase - House Nigga
    aceberg wrote: »
    I'd say the music styles will very on the nite.Bit of house bit of hard trance bit of progressive and i'd say the lads over on Tech radio will get onto the Djs that are playing on the nite and try sway them into playing proper Asylum sounds.

Hold on let me get this straight, a few lads off an internet radio station are going to advising Warren K, Ed Case, DJ Dilly etc etc etc on what tunes to play in order for them to be 'Proper Asylum Sounds'

Come on now ace tell me this is a laugh:eek:
    JCarey70 wrote: »
    Dunno ??? :eek:

Well if you aint on the line up the chances of my attending will be severley diminished, not trying to give ya big head chief but i always thought your mixes whether they were hard trance or House were the best mixed & selected tunes of any of the DJ's back then with Ed case a close second.
    Been off the Boards for while,moving house etc...?;)

That a new genre?:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Hold on let me get this straight, a few lads off an internet radio station are going to advising Warren K, Ed Case, DJ Dilly etc etc etc on what tunes to play in order for them to be 'Proper Asylum Sounds'

I think ''advising'' is the wrong word to use Key.I don't mean they'll be sticking a gun to the DJ's heads saying ''here u,u better play these tracks or else'' It would be done more along the lines of a gesture with a smile of there face :D if ya get me as some of the lads over on tech would know the dj's the chat to.I know Warren played the same set a few times at some oldskool nites which did'nt go down to well.Lets hope he don't do the same.No harm in subtle hint now is there.:D

I think ''advising'' is the wrong word to use Key.I don't mean they'll be sticking a gun to the DJ's heads saying ''here u,u better play these tracks or else'' It would be done more along the lines of a gesture with a smile of there face :D if ya get me as some of the lads over on tech would know the dj's the chat to.I know Warren played the same set a few times at some oldskool nites which did'nt go down to well.Lets hope he don't do the same.No harm in subtle hint now is there.:D

So more gentle persuasion would be the approach then, sure i think i'll give them a shout aswell so & ask them to play what i have in mind that would be proper asylum sounds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

nothing worse than a dj hating is been treated like a jukebox.if its edcase dilly and all the asylum djs,theyll be playing all the great tracks of that genre.simple as that,think id tell em to phissoff if they advised me

just got that global cee crazy sean dexter mix in post, all i need now is a deck n leads,ha

• Advertisement

yea supple hint is ok tho,or just mentioning a track or 2,but cudnt ya mention a million tracks if ya thought about it,ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

So more gentle persuasion would be the approach then, sure i think i'll give them a shout aswell so & ask them to play what i have in mind that would be proper asylum sounds:D

Now ya have it Key.:D

i dunno bout swayin a dj's song choices but, i think seen as theres gonna be 3 vaults open on the night and seen as there were 3 floors in the asylum, each vault should be dedicated to the different themes on each floor (without the heroin of the skag room tho :D)
    have the bottom floor vault bangin, skag vault chilled (but not too chilled :rolleyes:) top floor vault with whatever was played up there, techno or whatever it was.
    i think dj's might take offence if people start tellin em what to play on the night, but i would deffo like to hear tunes i haven't heard over & over & over again at oldskool nights.
    should be a top night tho, one i'm lookin forward to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

I WOULD JUST LIKE 2 ADD THAT IN SUPPORT OF MY LOCAL "INTERNET RADIO STATION" US LADS ON TECH TAKE THE TIME 2 PERFECT THE BEAT AND WE STILL GOT LOVE FOR THE STREET:D UNLIKE MOST RADIO STATIONS AND OLD SKOOL EVENT,S THAT KEEP CHURNING OUT THE SAME OLD RADIO CLASSICS, WE TRY PLAY THE PROPER CLASSICS OR RATHER THE LESSER HEARD TUNES OF THE OLD ASYLUM-SIDES MIX TAPES OF YEARS GONE BY........ TECHRADIODUBLIN..... DUBLINS NUMBER 1:rolleyes::D;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd be gutted if Jay wasn't on the line up, next to Warren , Jay was an equal fav of mine.....have ya not had any contact about it Jay? :confused:, i'm sure it's early days yet n everything is still to be finalised,no doubt you'll be getting a call soon.

Well if you aint on the line up the chances of my attending will be severley diminished, not trying to give ya big head chief but i always thought your mixes whether they were hard trance or House were the best mixed & selected tunes of any of the DJ's back then with Ed case a close second.

Ah lads thanks :o Just so you know I did get asked to join the line up, Dilly was onto me on Facebook earlier, so I WILL be playing at it ;) So hopefully the place will be up-ended like it used to be in the days of old, so bring your whistles, air-horns and your glow sticks :D I will give out the full lineup as soon as I get it but knowing ye, you'll probably know that before me anyway :D But from what I already know this is going to be a big one...

I WOULD JUST LIKE 2 ADD THAT IN SUPPORT OF MY LOCAL "INTERNET RADIO STATION" US LADS ON TECH TAKE THE TIME 2 PERFECT THE BEAT AND WE STILL GOT LOVE FOR THE STREET:D UNLIKE MOST RADIO STATIONS AND OLD SKOOL EVENT,S THAT KEEP CHURNING OUT THE SAME OLD RADIO CLASSICS, WE TRY PLAY THE PROPER CLASSICS OR RATHER THE LESSER HEARD TUNES OF THE OLD ASYLUM-SIDES MIX TAPES OF YEARS GONE BY........ TECHRADIODUBLIN..... DUBLINS NUMBER 1:rolleyes::D;):)

Hmmm, there may be a very good reason certain tunes never took off & never stayed around for so long to become anything more than 'lesser heard tunes';)
    Ah lads thanks :o Just so you know I did get asked to join the line up, Dilly was onto me on Facebook earlier, so I WILL be playing at it ;) So hopefully the place will be up-ended like it used to be in the days of old, so bring your whistles, air-horns and your glow sticks :D I will give out the full lineup as soon as I get it but knowing ye, you'll probably know that before me anyway :D But from what I already know this is going to be a big one...

Ahh great stuff, when was the last time you played Hard trance or house out or the likes Jay?

top stuff jay, glad to hear it, should be a memorable night and hopefully we'll have a few boardies goin to it and have a great bitta craic!

Hmmm, there may be a very good reason certain tunes never took off & never stayed around for so long to become anything more than 'lesser heard tunes'.

:D

Ahh great stuff, when was the last time you played Hard trance or house out or the likes Jay?

The last time was in July last year at the Booleigh Music Festival in Kildare and before that was with Warren K at Isaac Butts. Think it was 2007 and with Pat Hyland a few months before that. But I've done other gigs as well since then just not Dance music, mostly Reggae. Actually the last one of those was just 3 weeks ago in the Grand Central in O'Connell Street. Plus I'm really getting use the mixing software and mixer I got not so long ago, so mixing the dance stuff shouldn't be a problem. If there is anything specific yous want to hear on the night give me your list and I'll see if I can squeeze a few into me set :)

187610_100002253774149_4648095_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Vinyl Blair - Dope

Still sounds dope... :pac:

do you use cdjs or a controller when giggin these days jay?
    remember hearin ya sold all your vinyl years ago, and just
    wonderin what format ya use now. ya were sayin a few posts
    back ya use a controller for home use but do ya bring it
    to gigs with ya, and what sort is it?

do you use cdjs or a controller when giggin these days jay?
    remember hearin ya sold all your vinyl years ago, and just
    wonderin what format ya use now. ya were sayin a few posts
    back ya use a controller for home use but do ya bring it
    to gigs with ya, and what sort is it?

I use Virtual DJ Software on me laptop, an external hard drive and an external sound-card all hooked up to me Hercules MP3 E2 DJ Control mixer. Mixing is a piece of piss and as I have all the tunes form years ago in mp3 format I can get away without using CJDs or 1210s. I carry the lot in me laptop rucksack which about 7 kgs. Might bring some 12"s and a couple of comp CDs with me as well just in case someone spills beer on me kit :eek:

I use Virtual DJ Software on me laptop, an external hard drive and an external sound-card all hooked up to me Hercules MP3 E2 DJ Control mixer. Mixing is a piece of piss and as I have all the tunes form years ago in mp3 format I can get away without using CJDs or 1210s. I carry the lot in me laptop rucksack which about 7 kgs. Might bring some 12"s and a couple of comp CDs with me as well just in case someone spills beer on me kit :eek:

i'm thinkin bout gettin a hercules rmx myself to hook up to my 1210's so i can use serato or vdj usin timecode vinyls so i can play all the mp3s i have. its a soundcard and mixer in one so would be cheaper for me now then buyin an audio 8 soundcard and a mixer, which i can't afford atm as i'm starting a course up in nightmaker studios in swords in music production thats settin me back a nice few bob lol :)

i'm thinkin bout gettin a hercules rmx myself to hook up to my 1210's so i can use serato or vdj usin timecode vinyls so i can play all the mp3s i have. its a soundcard and mixer in one so would be cheaper for me now then buyin an audio 8 soundcard and a mixer, which i can't afford atm as i'm starting a course up in nightmaker studios in swords in music production thats settin me back a nice few bob lol :)

I got a a good deal on both the mixer and external sound card which is why I bought separately but the better way to go would be if you could get them combined, so yeah defo go for that option. As soon as I come across a combo unit with a decent sound card on the cheap I will pick it up, something like the M-Audio Torq Xponent Midi DJ Controller would be nice. I know the Hercules is not really made for bringing out to big gigs and such but feck it, it works for me, for now :D

this is the set up im goin for, its just like usin your decks but its you mp3's that your playin, like a full serato or traktor set up but a hell of alot cheaper :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I got a a good deal on both the mixer and external sound card which is why I bought separately but the better way to go would be if you could get them combined, so yeah defo go for that option. As soon as I come across a combo unit with a decent sound card on the cheap I will pick it up, something like the M-Audio Torq Xponent Midi DJ Controller would be nice. I know the Hercules is not really made for bringing out to big gigs and such but feck it, it works for me, for now :D

thats controller is goin for a reasonable price on thomann jay, http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_xponent.htm looks the job alright, wouldn't mind one of those meself.

*EDIT* 263 yoyo;s off the RRP, can't go wrong with that lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement