Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Pentatonik rarely gets a mention anywhere and I'd genuinely rate some of his music up there and of a similar ilk to that of Orbital. His album 'Anthology' from 1994 has some stunning tracks, this being a great example. Not banging by the way, more 5am with a few spliffs material as you greet the rising sun :pac:

Pentatonik - Movements Part 2
    Pentatonik - that is something I haven't heard in a loooong time. Don't think I ever actually had any of his music (didn't even know it was a he, thought it was a they), only ever heard it on MTV chill out / party zone. I'm sure I've a few recorded on VHS tapes in the folks gaff.

Must go and have a listen now and see if I can find any that ring a bell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ha ha - found immediately! Thanks scubadevils...

This was a big favourite of ours, such a tune:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :D G1 , man, that was my first real experience of an 'illegal' rave feeling, I remember the antisipation going to it n hearing things like "the garda are watching the place" or "it's a model for a raid" then the anxiety once inside n the yokes where flowing through the bloodstream,feeling the rushes,closing your eyes n letting the bass seep into every pore sending tingles all over you,the brief interludes of 'normality' n then thinking "jaysus they could come bursting in at anytime" and the heart pounding 'buzz' when they did lol .... man i left that night buzzing like a nutter on a pogo stick! ..... I'd gone there that night as a guy we met invited us along (hadnt heard of it before) , he was DJ Christian Coates,a sound bloke,and a friend of a friend type thing developed after been invited to parties n gigs he was doing out Blanchardstown way.

.........and then came our mecca and the rest as they say :cool:

Another blok ei 'knew' from back then was Latin Wolfe, again a friend of a friend from Palmerstown,parties n the like, another sound chap so he was, furnished me with a few tapes bitd.

"If i had a time machine for one night" - i'd just need enough time to go home grab all my old tapes,flyers n $hite n bring them forward to today :(

The 1 that was down Moore lane was only open 4 i think 6 weeks the fella jay who opened it lost out on 14 grand he went out wit my m8s sis, that were i got the Ed case @ G1s off eddie in there good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

DUB33 wrote: »
    The 1 that was down Moore lane was only open 4 i think 6 weeks the fella jay who opened it lost out on 14 grand he went out wit my m8s sis, that were i got the Ed case @ G1s off eddie in there good times

The G1 in Moore Lane came much later after the Phibsboro G1 shut down. It had very low ceilings and was concrete from top to bottom. It always reminded me of The Prodigy video 'No good'. It was more like the Asylum than G1, well in atmosphere anyway. Very intimidating at times (start of the night) but deadly at other times (end of the night) :D But in the open plan set-up of the G1 in Phibsboro you lost all that claustrophobia as the ceiling was about 60 feet high or there abouts, there was much more of a free feeling about the place which induced a more relaxed atmosphere I thought, which is probably why it was so good and why the acoustics where so good too.

The Prodigy - No good (Start the dance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFTmBwMlrI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

JCarey70 wrote: »
    The G1 in Moore Lane came much later after the Phibsboro G1 shut down. It had very low ceilings and was concrete from top to bottom. It always reminded me of The Prodigy video 'No good'. It was more like the Asylum than G1, well in atmosphere anyway. Very intimidating at times (start of the night) but deadly at other times (end of the night) :D But in the open plan set-up of the G1 in Phibsboro you lost all that claustrophobia as the ceiling was about 60 feet high or there abouts, there was much more of a free feeling about the place which induced a more relaxed atmosphere I thought, which is probably why it was so good and why the acoustics where so good too.

absolutely love that track, was in a club in zacynthos (i think thats how ya spell it lol) back in 2003 and that came on, only thing i was missin was pills but i still wrecked the gaff drinkin vodka & coke and zambooka's, well pissed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mr ping

derra wrote: »
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/WTNMa3ZPcTJiV3g1VEE9PQ
    this is off the radio ireland clubmix, if only the asylum and olympic ballroom had been still open to hear this stuff... few more to dig out will u/l soon

How are ye Derra, just wonderin if you hav any new links for these Kavanagh mixes u up, Forever chasin the old club mix stuff. Lovin the ups on You Tube, keep up the good work.

this is off the radio ireland clubmix, if only the asylum and olympic ballroom had been still open to hear this stuff... few more to dig out will u/l soon

How are ye Derra, just wonderin if you hav any new links for these Kavanagh mixes u up, Forever chasin the old club mix stuff. Lovin the ups on You Tube, keep up the good work.

double post mr ping, if that is your real name :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

es-cee wrote: »
    double post mr ping, if that is your real name :D:D:D:D

Ah shut it sean :P an help a brother out!! :D

mr ping wrote: »
    Ah shut it sean :P an help a brother out!! :D

whats wrong with ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :D G1 , man, that was my first real experience of an 'illegal' rave feeling, I remember the antisipation going to it n hearing things like "the garda are watching the place" or "it's a model for a raid" then the anxiety once inside n the yokes where flowing through the bloodstream,feeling the rushes,closing your eyes n letting the bass seep into every pore sending tingles all over you,the brief interludes of 'normality' n then thinking "jaysus they could come bursting in at anytime" and the heart pounding 'buzz' when they did lol .... man i left that night buzzing like a nutter on a pogo stick! ..... I'd gone there that night as a guy we met invited us along (hadnt heard of it before) , he was DJ Christian Coates,a sound bloke,and a friend of a friend type thing developed after been invited to parties n gigs he was doing out Blanchardstown way.

.........and then came our mecca and the rest as they say :cool:

Another blok ei 'knew' from back then was Latin Wolfe, again a friend of a friend from Palmerstown,parties n the like, another sound chap so he was, furnished me with a few tapes bitd.

"If i had a time machine for one night" - i'd just need enough time to go home grab all my old tapes,flyers n $hite n bring them forward to today :(

Did you go in the Ormonde with Coatsey? I ask as me and a load of my mates from Finglas used to go in there and meet up with him for a buzz. Some craic man. Just when you say a friendship developed you may have been in there with him, and buzzing with me and my mates.

DUB33 wrote: »

Was in Moore lane a few times meself. Chester was still alive back then, mad c**t!

Here is one TDV i think posted a while back
    http://www.mediafire.com/?teju500d7b9k3ud

Will have a root a round for others, they are bad quality mind ya.
    Cheers for YT channel compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

es-cee wrote: »

Love that track Sean!! Has to be up there in my top 5 of late hardcore/early jungle releases. So many crackers from Lemon D back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

Have a listen to this, remember a tune very similar to this one played in sides back in the day but it was deffo a lot more modern than this version
    http://youtu.be/Mc7Ua3W9GkM

Here is one TDV i think posted a while back
    http://www.mediafire.com/?teju500d7b9k3ud

Will have a root a round for others, they are bad quality mind ya.
    Cheers for YT channel compliment.

Ha cheers man but thats actually one i posted on POS, transferred it from Mini Disc, if u do ever get them much appretiated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Had some really great nights in all the venues I frequented but I think that some of the best nights I had was in a club in Phibsboro called G1. What a great ****in place that was. The acoustics were perfect for a club. It was situated above the ice rink on the current Des Kelly premises there on the North Circular Road. At the start of the night it was that cold that you could see your breath but by the middle of the night everyone would have tops off. Used to close at about 7am and we used to walk to Finlglas, only up the road. Great venue, probably me fav, Sides and The Asylum, being very close seconds, The Olympic, Groucho's and others being close thirds. Never went to the Temple of Sound :D
    Them walks back to Finglas where great, Eric with the G1 Sign under his arm :)and the rest of use drinking the milk that was left outside the shops at that hour in the morning:pac:. But would agree it was a great Venue, pity it never ran longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I know i asked this on here before, a mate of mine remembers going to a place over the north side back around 1990 1991 called 'Shrine', anyone have any recollections of this place?

Was G1 perhaps also called 'Shrine' for a bit?

• Advertisement

What was the place in the back of the Arcade on Dorset St called? That went on for a while I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

SteoL wrote: »
    Did you go in the Ormonde with Coatsey? I ask as me and a load of my mates from Finglas used to go in there and meet up with him for a buzz. Some craic man. Just when you say a friendship developed you may have been in there with him, and buzzing with me and my mates.

Howya Steo,I went to the Ormonde alright but never with Coatsey but used to see him out n about n throw the recognizing nods n 'alright man' to each other, as i said it was more a friend of a friend type scenario, we both knew peeps,he knew lads from over Tallaght & Ballyfermot way and me knowing lads from over his way in Blanch.....I know a few faces from out your way (i'm originally from the west (Wellmount Ave)

Names like, Jeff (Palmerstown),Oz, Andy,Govo,Ryaner,Graham(Tallaght),Keith,Dar & Chris (Finglas),Bren,Tony & his twin bro (Blanch) off the top of me head , woulda been the usual suspects but defo others, just dont have the memory recall these days lol :o
    I know i asked this on here before, a mate of mine remembers going to a place over the north side back around 1990 1991 called 'Shrine', anyone have any recollections of this place?

Was G1 perhaps also called 'Shrine' for a bit?

Funny you mention that Key, i think Coatsey used to play the Shrine with that guy Jeff from Palmerstown, all i know is it was a place over the northside of town but 'Shrine' rings a bell and it was defo between 90-92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Couple of classics from Larry Gardiner who damn well rocked Tripod on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

b.c wrote: »
    Have a listen to this, remember a tune very similar to this one played in sides back in the day but it was deffo a lot more modern than this version
    http://youtu.be/Mc7Ua3W9GkM

Tune of the same name from 93 by Egg Bam Yasi - I want more

SteoL wrote: »
    Was in Moore lane a few times meself. Chester was still alive back then, mad c**t!
    Yea i use 2 get a gr8 buzz off him me & Jonny were dringing with him in the same pub he got killed in exactly a week before :eek: but i always had time 4 him lik he did 4 me :)

Ah i kno that jay wasnt it called Fantazia as well, i only manged 2 get up 2 it once & Jay were u ever in club So i never manged 2 get round 2 going as ppl use 2 head round after the asylum i did hear it was ment 2 b good i think it was over in temple bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

love this track, good post paddy ;)

Ha cheers man but thats actually one i posted on POS, transferred it from Mini Disc, if u do ever get them much appretiated.

:D
    Right so, leave it with me and i will zip what i have up to Mediafire or something.

I fear that Messi lad in the Champions league final :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement