Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

EarlERizer wrote: »
    ;) Not on YT yet Billy!!....are ya not in a position to change that? , would like to hear this one....or maybe ya could just convert your vinyl n send on the MP3?

It's completely different to this 1 The Dentist & Svenson - Jacobs Ladder,which is an x c lent track by the Way.

But this 1 was played in the Olympic as far as i know.It's on 1 if the DJ Gerry - Sunset mixes.I have an mp3 of it here i'm trying to u/l but my connection is slow at the minuate for some unknown reason and i'm heading out soon for d match.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

aceberg wrote: »
    It's completely different to this 1 The Dentist & Svenson - Jacobs Ladder,which is an x c lent track by the Way.

But this 1 was played in the Olympic as far as i know.It's on 1 if the DJ Gerry - Sunset mixes.I have an mp3 of it here i'm trying to u/l but my connection is slow at the minuate for some unknown reason and i'm heading out soon for d match.:P

let us know if ye get a mp3 of it man;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

let us know if ye get a mp3 of it man;)

Here ya go

http://www.zshare.net/audio/90710282f62725fc/

fairplay ;)...let us know if ye need any mp3's from the oldskool im sure have them here sumwer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

I remember this tune very well, brings back memories, love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Fookin nice tune that......nothing like the other one I have.....anyone got this on mediafire or 4shared, zshare just isnt playing ball for me!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

i'm gonna get slated for this but i just can't stay stum, time after time i'm flabbergasted by the crap that was supposed to be "rave" played in the olypmic. give me a fcukin break will ya's, the temple theatre wasn't even a rave but it was more a rave than that place, absolute and utter

american_cheese-875.jpg

i'm not gettin into an arguement with any1 about this btw as i'm just givin my point of view, but the place was probably the worst example of a rave i've ever come across.

any1 offended by my comments take it out on the dj's that played the place not me, i didn't choose their tunes ;)

rant over

Fookin nice tune that......nothing like the other one I have.....anyone got this on mediafire or 4shared, zshare just isnt playing ball for me!! :(

it works, click the download link twice aswell that should open for ye, if it doesnt let me no il try upload it on2 youtube for ye..have it sppeded up aswell sounds much better ;)

es-cee wrote: »
    i'm gonna get slated for this but i just can't stay stum, time after time i'm flabbergasted by the crap that was supposed to be "rave" played in the olypmic. give me a fcukin break will ya's, the temple theatre wasn't even a rave but it was more a rave than that place, absolute and utter

american_cheese-875.jpg

i'm not gettin into an arguement with any1 about this btw as i'm just givin my point of view, but the place was probably the worst example of a rave i've ever come across.

any1 offended by my comments take it out on the dj's that played the place not me, i didn't choose their tunes ;)

rant over

:D Go on ya fookin upstart lol ......

In a nutshell , The Olympic was at the time the first 'rave' experience for alot of oldskoolers in Dublin, at the time we werent getting the gems that our cousins across in the UK were exposed too and Sides was at the time predominantly a niche club (gay night and goth nights), its was a new dawn for us here and unlike all the other clubs of the day it was unique in what it was playing (at the time) and the atmosphere of the place,the lights,the drugs,the buzz....... it was never just the music that made it 'rave'

......mind you anyone else who can recall will tell you that 'La Mirage' (the original Asylum was closer to the 'rave' experience in that it was dark n dirty and unrestricted although the whole E culture was yet to take hold so it was early rave sounds but in an enviroment of cans of alcohol :)

the other great (and my first real 'illegal' feeling) rave experience was G1 but I only went there twice.

Most of my 'rave' experiences and best nights were in the Asylum (as with most of us).....after that it all got a bit diluted with neat dress essential,alcohol,clean toilets and posers,as good as the Ormond was it was sterile in comparison, the System too but i guess thats what had to happen for the scene to keep going.

I'd have given my left (and right) ball to have grown up across the water and experienced the rave scene there.

...........and just for the fook of it,i think this vid is brilliantly done! seems to encapsulate the experience.

it works, click the download link twice aswell that should open for ye, if it doesnt let me no il try upload it on2 youtube for ye..have it sppeded up aswell sounds much better ;)

Got it , nice one.

• Advertisement

chase & status rock man, love em ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

;) Not on YT yet Billy!!....are ya not in a position to change that? , would like to hear this one....or maybe ya could just convert your vinyl n send on the MP3?

No can do pal. All me vinyl is in my brother's gaff, plus I don't have a turntable:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Just had a look on ticketmaster for the asylum night
    Type
    Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price
    €19.45 x 1
    Service Charge
    €2.45 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €21.90

have to say that is scandalous charging this amount given the country is in a dreadful state and so many people out of work, im f*cked if im paying this amount into a club, jaysus it's not even an all nighter.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Type
    Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price
    €19.45 x 1
    Service Charge
    €2.45 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €21.90

F*ck that

Type
    Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price
    €19.45 x 1
    Service Charge
    €2.45 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €21.90

have to say that is scandalous charging this amount given the country is in a dreadful state and so many people out of work, im f*cked if im paying this amount into a club, jaysus it's not even an all nighter.

payin a score into the vaults is scandalous imo, fcukin kip the place is, still gonna go tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Deadly track that. Have it on vinyl. It was produced by a couple of Dublin lads, think Dave McDonald might've been one of them. Says on Discogs it's from the UK but it was actually released on Irish label Inner Conscience, same label as Mad Sound Disease's Moonboom. Doesn't seem to be up on Youtube though. Pity.

It is bleedin scandalous charging that amount and it looks as if they are just out to make a fast buck, when you consider it was a tenner into see CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf in January this Asylum reunion is certainly not value for money.:(

It is bleedin scandalous charging that amount and it looks as if they are just out to make a fast buck, when you consider it was a tenner into see CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf in January this Asylum reunion is certainly not value for money.:(

i'm still goin tho, but i have my mind made up, if its the same crap oldskool night (that they have in the vaults every other week) i'm done with oldskool over here totally. wont be goin to any gigs oldskool (unless tango & ratty play the twisted pepper).

moany wrote: »

Good man. Don't suppose you could throw up the flip side Unity. Decent enough track aswell if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

Billy Mays wrote: »
    No can do pal. All me vinyl is in my brother's gaff, plus I don't have a turntable:(:(

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16946.htm

:D

Type
    Full Price Ticket
    Ticket Price
    €19.45 x 1
    Service Charge
    €2.45 x 1
    SUBTOTAL
    €21.90

:eek: Well thats more or less the final nail in the coffin for me, Ticketmaster can go and fook themselves, whatever about the €19.45 ticket price (which is a fooking disgrace imho) they can go ask the back end of my b*llox if they're getting a fookin service charge too!!! cheeky barstewarts a service charge? what? for some spotty faced little fooker behind a counter to issue a ticket and take my money?? charging me for the hassle of doing what they're paid to do!! fook off!!:mad:

I want to go to this gig, fookin hell I've been looking forward to it since before it was ever announced! we've talked of it on here for a long long time, I'll be gutted when its come n gone but I'm not prepared to be ripped off for it.

It stinks of profiteering!!

Just to add, Would love to hear from the promoters of the night as to why the inflated price for this gig and why the need to make people buy tickets through Ticketmaster? a justification for ticket price and the reason behind using a 3rd party (ticketmaster) who add another charge on top of the price! why it can't be a pay at the door event like so many other nights at the same venue?

p.s. the clocks ticking,i'm wondering how long it will take for the inevitable.....

:eek: Well thats more or less the final nail in the coffin for me, Ticketmaster can go and fook themselves, whatever about the €19.45 ticket price (which is a fooking disgrace imho) they can go ask the back end of my b*llox if they're getting a fookin service charge too!!! cheeky barstewarts a service charge? what? for some spotty faced little fooker behind a counter to issue a ticket and take my money?? charging me for the hassle of doing what they're paid to do!! fook off!!:mad:

I want to go to this gig, fookin hell I've been looking forward to it since before it was ever announced! we've talked of it on here for a long long time, I'll be gutted when its come n gone but I'm not prepared to be ripped off for it.

It stinks of profiteering!!

i'm not gettin a ticket myself, if i get turned away at the door because i haven't got one then i'll just go on the piss somewere else ;) tickets for the vaults pmsl!!!

It's out of order given the state the country is in and so many people out of work and struggling to be asked to pay over the odds for a night out, jaysus you can go and see one of the biggest legends in the history of House music Lil Louis in the sugar Club for a tenner next Sunday, €21.90 for this is way over the odds.

I won't be getting a ticket myself, i wonder how much it is to pay at the door or even if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

es-cee wrote: »

american_cheese-875.jpg

rant over

But, But, But.............i havnt got the energy this morning:D

That ASYLUM Gig is looking wanky all right, €21.50 is a load of pox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

So who's still going and who isn't??? :confused:

And es what went wrong with previous oldskool nights in Dublin? Never been to one meself, this was gonna be me first but yis are putting me off it now :eek:

SteoL wrote: »

And es what went wrong with previous oldskool nights in Dublin? Never been to one meself, this was gonna be me first but yis are putting me off it now :eek:

Well you know when you are looking forward to a gig and the anticipation is really building, i feel completley indifferent to it now for a few reasons, VIP section, Tickets Only, €21.50 a ticket, & probably need to dress sensibly for it, do ya?

Not really drawing me to it i have to say:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Well you know when you are looking forward to a gig and the anticipation is really building, i feel completley indifferent to it now for a few reasons, VIP section, Tickets Only, €21.50 a ticket, & probably need to dress sensibly for it, do ya?

Not really drawing me to it i have to say:(

Yep am feeling similar I suppose. But I gotta say I had a bit of a panic when my mate told me Micko M told him it was already sold out (or selling out fast) which is why I posted earlier question asking about tickets. Had planned on paying on the door! But I don't know where me heads at now, was looking forward to it so who knows, maybe something else on in TP or somewhere.

SteoL wrote: »

Highly doubtful ill go, im not prepared to be ripped off any longer, we should have an AFFORDABLE alternative Asylum reunion night on the same night;)

• Advertisement

Highly doubtful ill go, im not prepared to be ripped off any longer, we should have an AFFORDABLE alternative Asylum reunion night on the same night;)

The only thing that was gonna swing it for me was the fact that all the original DJ's are playing & most importantly Jay carey.

Jay Carey & Ed Case are the ones that made it for me so alas i wouldnt be interested in an 'alternative night' on the same night to be honest.

Ah well, looks like the ASYLUM is going to remain what it has been for a long time, the best venue ever open but no longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement