Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

The only thing that was gonna swing it for me was the fact that all the original DJ's are playing & most importantly Jay carey.

Jay Carey & Ed Case are the ones that made it for me so alas i wouldnt be interested in an 'alternative night' on the same night to be honest.

Ah well, looks like the ASYLUM is going to remain what it has been for a long time, the best venue ever open but no longer.

It was the DJ's for me as well. Mainly Warren as he was always my favourite back then but also Jay as never had the pleasure of catching his sets - I believe he was retired when I started gigging (about 94ish). Might just pay the fecking thing, who knows when I'll see this line up again.

Tho I am worried about es commments on other old skool nights, can anyone explain what made them so sh!te??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

SteoL wrote: »
    Tho I am worried about es commments on other old skool nights, can anyone explain what made them so sh!te??? :confused:

Well i am guessing but i would say,

1. Some DJ's playing that werent even old enough to go to the ASYLUM etc.
    2. Tracks being played that may not be old enough to be played at event.
    3. Same old shíte being played again & again.
    4. Loads of coked up little poser cardboard gangsters.
    5. Loads of coked up little poser cardboard gangsters birds.
    6. ****ér Bouncers.
    7. ****ér bar staff.

And pretty much every thing about night clubs a raver always detested being incorporated into the proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

I loled at these two lines..wp Mr.Key!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

6. ****ér Bouncers.
    7. ****ér bar staff.

And pretty much every thing about night clubs a raver always detested being incorporated into the proceedings.

yeah pretty much spot on there in particular the same 50 odd tunes being played over and over again, that's why the CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf old skool night in January was such a breath of fresh air,mostly tunage you hadn't heard in years.

ah well pity anyway as i know loads who are goin but i cant bring myself to pay way over the odds.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

6. ****ér Bouncers.
    7. ****ér bar staff.

Pretty much the same as any other club in Dublin. Pity. Was hoping to feel that wicked party atmosphere one more time....... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

Pretty much the same as any other club in Dublin. Pity. Was hoping to feel that wicked party atmosphere one more time....... :(

Unfortunatley no one has come up with time machine yet...this is your ONLY way to get that euphoric altogether deadlyness again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

6. ****ér Bouncers.
    7. ****ér bar staff.

lol :) very true !

The main reason I'm going is a lot of old mates are heading in and would be nice to catch up etc... and the fact i haven't been out in ages because of college and work - so im going to use this night to get madoutofit lol :)
    Gave the misses the heads up ages ago so she won't expect to see me till Tuesday some time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

jonnny68 wrote: »
    It is bleedin scandalous charging that amount and it looks as if they are just out to make a fast buck, when you consider it was a tenner into see CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf in January this Asylum reunion is certainly not value for money.:(

I kno wat ur saying Jon but i think its well worth it as far as im aware all the asylum djs r playing asylum tunes & theres a surprise r 2Lik where else r u going to get Warren K
    Pressure
    Dilly
    ed case
    pat Hyland
    Computer
    Micck walsh
    Thyme
    Parsley
    hev-E (I think)
    And last but certertanliy not our own Jay Caery & then theres the other room wit alll the other djs & i kew a few of them do play class tunes & each of the above djs charge at least 200 a gig & pressure sometimes 500 so whne u take that into account & the V.I.P. room but never mind that & if all the djs play Asylum classic after classic it will be well worth the money as it closed 17 yrs ago this july i cant wait & im hopeing the music will b proper asylum & seeing people i havnt seen in ages & as well Jon ur more into 88-92 & a nights wat u make it & im going to make it a brill night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

DUB33 wrote: »
    I kno wat ur saying Jon but i think its well worth it as far as im aware all the asylum djs r playing asylum tunes & theres a surprise r 2Lik where else r u going to get Warren K
    Pressure
    Dilly
    ed case
    pat Hyland
    Computer
    Micck walsh
    Thyme
    Parsley
    hev-E (I think)
    And last but certertanliy not our own Jay Caery & then theres the other room wit alll the other djs & i kew a few of them do play class tunes & each of the above djs charge at least 200 a gig & pressure sometimes 500 so whne u take that into account & the V.I.P. room but never mind that & if all the djs play Asylum classic after classic it will be well worth the money as it closed 17 yrs ago this july i cant wait & im hopeing the music will b proper asylum & seeing people i havnt seen in ages & as well Jon ur more into 88-92 & a nights wat u make it & im going to make it a brill night :D

The line up is no excuse for ripping off the punters!! we all went out to see/hear these guys bitd which made them the legends that they are today ........ and it didn't cost half that for the entrance fee!

Given the role call above I'm guessing each will only get to play 30-45mins at best as unlike the Asylum this night will be 'lights on & doors open' by 2.30am latest under current licencing laws .... or has the vaults managed to get an entended one till 8am ?

The surprise or 2 would have to be a free yoke (or two) from bitd!!!

No doubt the lads will all play belter tunes,proper classics, I doubt it'll be the same old $hite and that was the big draw for me,especially getting to hear Warren and Jay again, the price wouldn't have been a big deterrent tbh but the 'ticket only' & then having to get them from profiteering fooks like Ticketmaster with their add ons has really dampened my enthusiasm now.

It was inevitable that the night would attract 'Charlie Cokeman, his buurd and cronies' but they're easily ignored, sure they'll all be paying for VIP access just to boost their "I'm the man" ego's :)

It's lost it's feeling of uniqueness for me now, seems like just another oldskool night albeit with a top end line up.

Maybe some of us are guilty of expecting too much of a nostalgic trip down memory lane when infact it's just another commercial event loosely based on what we knew & loved.

To say "I'm gutted" is an understatment :(

EarlERizer wrote: »
    The line up is no excuse for ripping off the punters!! we all went out to see/hear these guys bitd which made them the legends that they are today ........ and it didn't cost half that for the entrance fee!

Given the role call above I'm guessing each will only get to play 30-45mins at best as unlike the Asylum this night will be 'lights on & doors open' by 2.30am latest under current licencing laws .... or has the vaults managed to get an entended one till 8am ?

No doubt the lads will all play belter tunes,proper classics, I doubt it'll be the same old $hite and that was the big draw for me,especially getting to hear Warren and Jay again, the price wouldn't have been a big deterrent tbh but the 'ticket only' & then having to get them from profiteering fooks like Ticketmaster with their add ons has really dampened my enthusiasm now.

It was inevitable that the night would attract 'Charlie Cokeman, his buurd and cronies' but they're easily ignored, sure they'll all be paying for VIP access just to boost their "I'm the man" ego's :)

It's lost it's feeling of uniqueness for me now, seems like just another oldskool night albeit with a top end line up.

Maybe some of us are guilty of expecting too much of a nostalgic trip down memory lane when infact it's just another commercial event loosely based on what we knew & loved.

yeah your spot on here man, it is nothing short of a rip off i thought it would have been a tenner tops i was stunned when i seen the price €21.90, it is basically out to make a fast buck and nothing else.

It doesn't really bother me anyway, on the rare occasion i go out raving thesedays it's usually to something amazing like Raindance or some other old skool night with about 6/7 arenas and open untl 7am and afterparty on for those who can still manage it (not me lol)having said that for old times sake i would have liked to have gone to this but not now.

• Advertisement

Pressure
    Dilly
    ed case
    pat Hyland
    Computer
    Micck walsh
    Thyme
    Parsley
    hev-E (I think)

yeah it's been a long time Marc mate but ill catch you again sometime.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

its only a score..main thing is, it wont go on for as long,itl be a quick set by each dj,,and thats it id say.wat time it go on til? 2? even 3? how many djs?
    but it wont matter, ul all be off your faces to even notice, lol,but be a good buzz, thats main thing,bigger better location and for it to run on til about 5 anyway, now thats a diff story

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

I agree selling them through ticketmaster was a rip cause of there sur-charge but i kno from experience that warren,ed & the rest charge 200 depending on size & wat for & pressure looks for 500 sometimes & i think each vaulth cost a 1000 euro so 4 vaulths & all the djs that aint cheap & iv seen all of the jds playing over the last 5 yrs & i v been disapointed by there track selection but i really hope they play the true sound of the asylum as it was open 4 more than 3 yrs & thousands of tunes got played there

Jon i take it ur not going so il c u in june @mark Archer/Altern-8

its only a score..main thing is, it wont go on for as long,itl be a quick set by each dj,,and thats it id say.wat time it go on til? 2? even 3? how many djs?
    but it wont matter, ul all be off your faces to even notice, lol,but be a good buzz, thats main thing,bigger better location and for it to run on til about 5 anyway, now thats a diff story

All the more reason not to pay €22! a night full of cameo appearances? that's no way to enjoy hearing your 'hero' DJ

Anyway, It's not entirely the entry price I've an issue with, like I said, as much as it's inflated,for the night thats in it I'd pay 'a score' for entry.......for me the issue is having to go buy a ticket from a shower of money grabbing fooks like Ticketmaster with their 'service charges' rather than going in on the night and paying at the door ...... just like we did bitd and just like we do for any other 'oldskool' night.

It'll be an enjoyable night, it'll give the Farcebook oldskool followers something to brag about on each others walls :rolleyes: "yeah,I was there,wow what a night blah blah" ........ but, as I said, I think for some of us, the thoughts of an Asylum reunion gig heightend our nostalgic senses which fed into our expectations of what was to come, alas, as with time, somethings can't be got back.

Asylum 're-union' gig - Likely I'll not be there.

Asylum bitd - I WAS THERE :D ........no substitute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

All the more reason not to pay €22! a night full of cameo appearances? that's no way to enjoy hearing your 'hero' DJ

Great point and great tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

found this randomly when browsing......not bad tune...first minute and half or so is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOQOIiAQA

I agree selling them through ticketmaster was a rip cause of there sur-charge but i kno from experience that warren,ed & the rest charge 200 depending on size & wat for & pressure looks for 500 sometimes & i think each vaulth cost a 1000 euro so 4 vaulths & all the djs that aint cheap & iv seen all of the jds playing over the last 5 yrs & i v been disapointed by there track selection but i really hope they play the true sound of the asylum as it was open 4 more than 3 yrs & thousands of tunes got played there

Jon i take it ur not going so il c u in june @mark Archer/Altern-8

I understand the DJ's will have to be paid, no disputing that, even if (as has been suggested) they only play for the guts of half an hour each.

This event is a money maker no matter which way you slice the pie .....

No idea how many tickets were printed/ordered/sold for the gig but lets say it's absolute maximum (after all it's almost a sellout and interest is high)

Capacity - 1000 , therefore €21.90 x 1000 = €21,900

....and that's before a single (over priced) drink is bought....I guarentee this night (few hours that it is) will sell more alcohol than was ever sold over the course of the Asylum's lifespan....we know that Charlie will be attending so alot of his companions will be drinking like fish,the more popular choice for the boys been bottles of Bulmers,Bud,Heineken,Miller etc and the girls Bud,Fruity Bulmers,Smirnoff Ice and the like and the steady budget minded pint drinkers.

So lets say for arguments sake, the average spend per head is €25 (thats going on 1 drink per hour each),they're looking at pulling in atleast €25,000 going on the 1000 capacity figure as per above.

4 x Vaults = €4000 (at €1000 per vault as per your above estimate)
    12 x DJ's = €2500 approx (going on the average charge as mentioned above)

Door/security staff , say, what 12 men average €60 for 4-5 hrs work equats to approx €750 give or take a few quid.

Barstaff - 4xbars with 2-3 staff per bar average €50 per head = €600

Others (cleaner/cashier/cloakroom) - €200 approx

I'm sure theres other costs too but it still looks like a profitable night all round........well,except for the punter ;) but you cant put a price on cherished memories eh!

The above (are very rough estimates lol i'm no business man :o ) are accepted costs, par for the course with nightclubs all over the shop.

It's money grabbing leeching fooks like Ticketmaster getting a cut of the action that boils my pi$$ :mad: .... and I wont feed into it on principal!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I understand the DJ's will have to be paid, no disputing that, even if (as has been suggested) they only play for the guts of half an hour each.

This event is a money maker no matter which way you slice the pie .....

No idea how many tickets were printed/ordered/sold for the gig but lets say it's absolute maximum (after all it's almost a sellout and interest is high)

Capacity - 1000 , therefore €21.90 x 1000 = €21,900

....and that's before a single (over priced) drink is bought....I guarentee this night (few hours that it is) will sell more alcohol than was ever sold over the course of the Asylum's lifespan....we know that Charlie will be attending so alot of his companions will be drinking like fish,the more popular choice for the boys been bottles of Bulmers,Bud,Heineken,Miller etc and the girls Bud,Fruity Bulmers,Smirnoff Ice and the like and the steady budget minded pint drinkers.

So lets say for arguments sake, the average spend per head is €25 (thats going on 1 drink per hour each),they're looking at pulling in atleast €25,000 going on the 1000 capacity figure as per above.

4 x Vaults = €4000 (at €1000 per vault as per your above estimate)
    12 x DJ's = €2500 approx (going on the average charge as mentioned above)

Door/security staff , say, what 12 men average €60 for 4-5 hrs work equats to approx €750 give or take a few quid.

Barstaff - 4xbars with 2-3 staff per bar average €50 per head = €600

Others (cleaner/cashier/cloakroom) - €200 approx

I'm sure theres other costs too but it still looks like a profitable night all round........well,except for the punter ;) but you cant put a price on cherished memories eh!

The above (are very rough estimates lol i'm no business man :o ) are accepted costs, par for the course with nightclubs all over the shop.

It's money grabbing leeching fooks like Ticketmaster getting a cut of the action that boils my pi$$ :mad: .... and I wont feed into it on principal!

Its a pretty serious profit alright if they fill the venue at that price per ticket. From what I understand, the promoter pays the venue for the use of the venue so in this case probably the fee per 'vault' - that should cover the venues overheads in terms of security, bar staff etc. So really to calculate the promoters profit, you'd deduct the venue cost and the DJs and the balance should really be the profit. So in this case even if each DJ was to get say 500 euro (which I doubt) and the cost of the venue is 4k, total cost of 10k with over 10k profit... $$$

There may have been some marketing costs but I doubt very much as I'm sure this has pretty much spread by word of mouth, forums etc.

One that might interest a few here ......... wondering if this is a pay at the door event aswell as by ticket
    Subject wrote: »
    2aaf50i.jpg

Adm starts at €10 up to €15 , Doors @ 10.30pm

found this randomly when browsing......not bad tune...first minute and half or so is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOQOIiAQA

Killa Junglism!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

it wont cost 4000 for 4 vaults lads, 600 a vault is the goin rate for that place according to a promoter i know that uses it quite frequently, so all in all after the bills and djs are paid the promoters are lookin at a hefty profit.
    closing time is usually around 2.30/3am so in that sense its a rip, tickets are over priced the way it is and i wont be buyin one as like G has stated above, i've become very disillusioned with the crap thats been goin on over the last few weeks with v.i.p. sections and all that stuff, so if i can't pay at the door i'll take my custom somewere else and just go on the piss for the night, not all that pushed bout it at this stage anyway so i wont shed a tear if i don't get in.
    i have to say tho, i'd say the asylum is turning in its grave with the total BS that this gig is becoming.

anyway, on another note, i did a mix earlier some of ya's might like, bit of a diverse selection of tunes and genres that came together quite nicely i think, well happy with it anyway, hope ya's like it too ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?a5q9anrb5i855vz

tracklist:

jack n phil - tek trak
    tango & ratty - final conflict (es-cee double drop mix)
    marc & claude - toulouse
    dj tom & norman - tales of mystery
    tango & fallout - intrigue
    nookie - devotion
    datura - yerba del diablo part 2
    the invisible man - the beginning
    torchman - tell me
    bionic boom - the ride
    eat life - back to basics
    dj hype - weird energy
    force mass motion - esthisis
    kamasutra - arguments
    dj red alert & mike slammer - in effect (es-cee double drop mix)
    4 horsemen of the apocalypse - drowning in her
    tango - future followers
    ratty - bouncing
    hyper on experience - disturbance (tango remix)

One that might interest a few here ......... wondering if this is a pay at the door event aswell as by ticket

twisted pepper is a brilliant spot as well, the sound system in the basment (i think its called a function 1 system) is absolutely killer for music with a solid bass like hardcore/jungle/dnb, could literally feel my inside rumbling when i seen tango there last november.

jaysus that looks good but it's also the same night as Lil Louis in the Sugar Club argggghhh, im back from a stag in England that night then baqck to England a few days later, this looks good though.

So who's still going and who isn't??? :confused:

And es what went wrong with previous oldskool nights in Dublin? Never been to one meself, this was gonna be me first but yis are putting me off it now :eek:

they are just the same old same old steo mate, you can be nearly 100% guaranteed to here the same tunes all the time (doesn't say much for the dj's lol), you can nearly always be guaranteed to here newish tunes mixed in aswell (oldskool to me means tunes from 80's to 95, after that isn't oldskool. different synths and drum machines have been used after that point, hence the more polished sound of say vigo - to be house compared to plotergeist - visious circles which has a more raw kinda sound to it even tho theres only 4 years between the 2).
    then theres the punters, coked up 17/18 year olds expectin to here the likes of binary finary 1998, tranced up cheesy tunes that were never that good anyway, but i suppose every1's idea of oldskool is different depending on age.
    but all in all mate, they are a complete snooze-fest for the most part, i do make it a point to go see uk oldskool dj's tho as you can be sure there won't be any of this gettin dropped anyway lol

or this

es-cee wrote: »

:eek: Jeez H Christ ..........i know this was used to emphasis a point and a very good point at that!! but,PLEASE for the love of jaysus can that be the last time we see this fookin gimp on these hallowed pages?

:eek: Jeez H Christ ..........i know this was used to emphasis a point and a very good point at that!! but,PLEASE for the love of jaysus can that be the last time we see this fookin gimp on these hallowed pages?

would ya believe mick walsh played this at an oldskool gig in the cavern for rejuvenation a few years back :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

i agree, this chap is an embarrasment to this forum, his music is a no match for the oldskool end of :mad:

starts to mix in at 2.30, mc needs to be shot as well lol.

• Advertisement

es-cee wrote: »
    would ya believe mick walsh played this at an oldskool gig in the cavern for rejuvenation a few years back :eek:

g600616996.gif

Ya $hitting me ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement