Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

EarlERizer wrote: »
    g600616996.gif

Ya $hitting me ?

nope afraid not lol, was surprised to hear it gettin dropped at an oldskool gig as its only out since 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Subject

One that might interest a few here ......... wondering if this is a pay at the door event aswell as by ticket

2aaf50i.jpg

Adm starts at €10 up to €15 , Doors @ 10.30pm

e10 w/ Flyer
    e12 w/ Forbidden Fruit wristband
    e12 Advance tickets: www.tickets.ie / www.bodytonicmusic.com/store
    e15 Pay on door

Note: We've booked and confirmed an old skool SL2 - DJ set featuring DJ Slipmatt and the original SL2 MC - MC Jay J. Expect 1988 - 1992 UK Hardcore, Breakbeat, Acid House and one, two or three SL2 anthems as heard at Raindance, Dreamscape, Fantazia, Amnesia House...
    Details: HERE & www.subjectevents.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

:D found this footage of a previous oldskool night in Dublin :pac::pac::pac:

240sw248780.gif

:D found this footage of a previous oldskool night in Dublin :pac::pac::pac:

240sw248780.gif

hahaha, thats fcukin gas man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

so if you have a flyer it's a tenner in mate cool, where can i get some flyers?

I've seen SL2 and Slipmatt loads of times but he rarely dissapoints especially when he delves deep into his record box (or CD case lol)and plays underground tunage, ive seen the man like Slipmatt rock crowds of thousands to 50 people at a small Rave, a truly superb DJ and producer, he really should be up there with the Carl Cox's of this world.
    Subject wrote: »
    e10 w/ Flyer
    e12 w/ Forbidden Fruit wristband
    e12 Advance tickets: www.tickets.ie / www.bodytonicmusic.com/store
    e15 Pay on door

Note: We've booked and confirmed an old skool SL2 - DJ set featuring DJ Slipmatt and the original SL2 MC - MC Jay J. Expect 1988 - 1992 UK Hardcore, Breakbeat, Acid House and one, two or three SL2 anthems as heard at Raindance, Dreamscape, Fantazia, Amnesia House...
    Details: HERE & www.subjectevents.com

• Advertisement

What a right bleedin dilemma im in, Lil Louis and Slipmatt on the same night...JAYSUS :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

jonnny68 wrote: »
    What a right bleedin dilemma im in, Lil Louis and Slipmatt on the same night...JAYSUS :o:D

Flip a coin jonny, heres an old skool pound to do it with:D

Heads,

129930.gif

Or tails,

129929.gif

Jaysus another classic DJ playing Dublin this Sunday,it's very rare you get more than 1 big DJ playing on the same night but now there's 3:eek::D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72508934&posted=1#post72508934

i know were i'd be goin anyway jonny :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

heres a banging old skool tune for use to enjoy:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_t39p0syg0

• Advertisement

es-cee wrote: »
    i know were i'd be goin anyway jonny :D

yeah man but ive seen Slipmatt and SL2 loads of times but i haven't seen the other 2 loads of times, im leaning towards Lil Louis at this stage but it's a dilemma.:o:D

yeah man but ive seen Slipmatt and SL2 loads of times but i haven't seen the other 2 loads of times, im leaning towards Lil Louis at this stage but it's a dilemma.:o:D

is lil louis an acid house night jonny, or does he still produce and keep up with the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Can't expect the promoters not to want to make some profit. €15 might have been more suitable.

I wonder will the DJs be playing vinyl? Old skool = vinyl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

DEVOTION wrote: »
    Can't expect the promoters not to want to make some profit. €15 might have been more suitable.

Tenner and on the door as per ASYLUM would have been befitting, i think annyone that still has their old membership card should get in for a fiver.:D

es-cee wrote: »
    is lil louis an acid house night jonny, or does he still produce and keep up with the times?

Id say this would be old skool alright although i believe he plays new stuff as well, best to ask the promoter ont he event page.

yup, it should be vinyl only as well. i know warren has only used vinyl last few times i've seen him play, pressure usually mixes between the two (turntables & cdj's), but should deffo be vinyl all round imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Tenner and on the door as per ASYLUM would have been befitting, i think annyone that still has their old membership card should get in for a fiver.:D

€15 on the door would be fair I think. I run gigs myself and despite what people think, it is time consuming and you are risking your own money. They deserve to make a half-decent profit.

€5 for people with the old membership card would be a nice touch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Don't know about anyone else but i'd love it if it was a strict over 30's policy at the door, nothing worse than an oldskool night full of pissed n coked up 20 yr olds with no 'connection' as to what the night should be (who more than likely were only conceived during our "summer of love" ) .... they just dont get it like we did,granted they may like the sounds n spend like its going out of fashion but for a true 'Asylum' feeling you just have to have been there..........i'm not discriminating i'm just an old fart!! :o

Oh the abhorrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Id say this would be old skool alright although i believe he plays new stuff as well, best to ask the promoter ont he event page.

**** 'em so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭DUB33

The 25th will b a great nite & as far as im awahare all the asylum djs r under strict instructions 2 play i just hope they play the real sound of the aslum as the place was open 4 over 3yrs & iv loads of tunes stuck in my head that arnt on any tapes that use 2 rock the place but heavey reserch has helped with some & this is the asylum thread,i went 2 the asylum from the start of 93 till it closed & i think its prised ok & if there is a good few non asylum tunes il b going 2 the small claims court iv already onsulted a Layer (family friend) LoL & will sue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

1st - 3 steps 2 House

2nd - BIZARRE SUPREME - JUST NOT SATISFIED

4th - Dum Dum - One Earth Beat

6th - Mesquite - Hyper Spectors

7th - Future Rain Forest E.P. - Raindance

aceberg wrote: »
    1st - 3 steps 2 House

cheers, most of them are there except number not to sure if thats the right tune or maybe its anoder mox of it, and cant find the future rain forest tune on youtube would someone have it on mediafire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

aceberg wrote: »
    1st - 3 steps 2 House

The 6th is Mirage - Airborn no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOH1p-8Gi2U

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

It would be a foolish venture if they didn't want to make a profit, an outlay with no return is bad business in anyones eyes!

I'm not begrudging the promoters their purse,if they make a right few quid then fair play, they're providing a product that people want so its a win win.

€15 is a reasonable adm fee, but,to echo previous opinions, it should be a flat fee payable at the door (as with all other nights at same venue) with no 3rd party making a profit with an add on charge ala Ticketmaster.

Your in the game Dev,right? looking back over my earlier post Re: guesstimated takings v outgoings, can you explain to me how an event like this is handled/broken down i.e. Promoters costs - in this case tickets,advertisment,venue hire etc versus potential earnings? ... does the hire price for the venue include staffing (security/bar/cleaners etc) or does the promoter pick up the tab on these too? .... does the promoter get a percentage of takings from 'refreshments' sold? or is that entirely the venue's?

No matter, I still think they're making a nice profit and good luck to them,fair fooks n all that, but me,personally I think it's overpriced.....especially when looked at in comparision to the gig in the TP this Sunday , surely the promoter of that gig is picking up the tab for flights/accommodation/entertainment/riders etc and i'd assume an act like SL2 would charge a fee in excess of what our boys will be getting....yet tickets for this gig are between €10-15.

Anyway, I'm just one man giving his personal opinion.......or as I've said before.....just a grumpy old fart :o ....but I cant help it, since been out of work (no longer tha case - although not much better off lol ) I've developed a healthier respect for money especially that which I earn so I'm a bit more 'prudent' in how I spend it these days.

No doubt the night will be a success for all involved! I look forward to hearing the stories and hopefully any recordings/pics of the night.

JCarey70 wrote: »

ye it is spot on mate fairplay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

JCarey70 wrote: »

Ah yeah so it is Jay.My bad.Ya can't get them alll right...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

So anything else on in the city that weekend? Any other decent old skool DJ's playing anywhere cheaper.?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement