Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Cheers asylumkey, Im going to download it now. When its done I'll re-upload it to my rapidshare account so the links will never expire so future readers of this thread can benifit from your time and effort. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

D/L now getting a shiver thinking about this so can't wait to see what the vid does :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Cheers to Derra for directing me to this board & his suggestion to post my video here of the ASYLUM in 1992.....
    good man asylumkey :) see ya made it over , welcome aboard :) super 1st post to make with that video:)

here is a link for some more of EURODANCE '97 :)
    http://www.flawlessbeats.org/oldschool/oldsets_techouse.html
    just click the audio link to download ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

should have another video up from the asylum, in the next month or 2, yet another unseen footage..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

nice 1 senan,dilly finally parted with the footage then!:eek:
    senan s wrote: »
    should have another video up from the asylum, in the next month or 2, yet another unseen footage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

nice 1 senan.i'm nearly afraid to reply to this after my last post.was looking to try edit it but i'm not aloud.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

anyways was'nt my fault.:cool:

but i think i now know what you getting at by saying unseen footage.:D
    the penny has dropped i reckon.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Good man stephen....i know there only just two lines in your last post but lets hope everyone can f***ing read between them.

Dont know if you ever got your video of the ASYLUM you downloaded from NI Oldskool flipped around???....if not here is a link to a free video flipper thats straight forward to use & a whole load of other usefull free software for video & music stuffsuper.gif

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate.htm

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭daragh_k

Dont know if you ever got your video of the ASYLUM you downloaded from NI Oldskool flipped around???....if not here is a link to a free video flipper thats straight forward to use & a whole load of other usefull free software for video & music stuffsuper.gif

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate.htm

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com

Nice one for this man Im still watching it with my laptop upside down works great LOL .......... Ill check out these links thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lads, a bit of cop on this thread please.

Pls remember this is a public forum and can be read by anyone.

Cheers

Kev.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

What exact street was the Asylum on? I know it was off O'Connell St but where exactly? And what is there now?

Edit: Never mind, I see from the first page that it was on Sackville Place. Still curious as to know what exact premises though?

theasylumkey; Is that video you uploaded only suppose to go for 8minutes per part. Seems an awful lot of MB's for 8 minutes of video or is winamp actin the ballix? :confused:

Slunk wrote: »
    theasylumkey; Is that video you uploaded only suppose to go for 8minutes per part. Seems an awful lot of MB's for 8 minutes of video or is winamp actin the ballix? :confused:

It's
    18.39 for the first part and 19.13 for the second part. I couldn't play it through quicktime or VLC so eneded up burning it to DVD.

Cheers again Asylumkey brings back some memories even if it was very limited in it's scope must have been filmed very early in the night cause i never remember the asylum being that empty but it wasn't staged.

Could be winamp actin the PR**K video is 38mins long in total....could be megaupload.com aswell only allows limited downloads in 24 hours (didnt know this until i had it uploaded) if you have all the MB's down try downloading the videolan player for free....link is in the post with video.

stephen_n wrote: »
    It's
    18.39 for the first part and 19.13 for the second part. I couldn't play it through quicktime or VLC so eneded up burning it to DVD.

Cheers again Asylumkey brings back some memories even if it was very limited in it's scope must have been filmed very early in the night cause i never remember the asylum being that empty but it wasn't staged.

This footage is 100% genuine but was taken FEB 92.....lot of ravers still dedicated to the OLYMPIC/SIDES at that time myself included.....didnt discover ASYLUM until summer 93 & never went back:D

Cheers lads, think Ill stick it on dvd. ;)

This footage is 100% genuine but was taken FEB 92.....lot of ravers still dedicated to the OLYMPIC/SIDES at that time myself included.....didnt discover ASYLUM until summer 93 & never went back:D

I know it's genuine by one of the interactions as two guys walk past each other ;) but i'd say it was still shot very early in the night. Don't think i ever went in before 1 o'clock anyways usually up around sides or abrekebabera getting ready if ya know what i mean. Didn't experienece the place myself till around october 93 so would have no frame of reference for how busy it would have been in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

lads can someone upload it to somewhere else that megaupload is a load of boll*x cant download from there.

jonny68 wrote: »
    lads can someone upload it to somewhere else that megaupload is a load of boll*x cant download from there.

Yep sorry about the megaupload....didnt want to chop it into loads of parts though & didnt realise until i got it up there was a limited download limit in 24hours:mad:.....slunk said he will up it to rapidshare so keep an eye:eek:open for the links....or get onto megaupload @ 6am to get it:D

johnny I'll have it up on rapidshare within the next day or two. Have to upload it in eight seperate parts. If you want Ill pm you my premium details as I know you ahte RS :D

• Advertisement

I know it's genuine by one of the interactions as two guys walk past each other ;) but i'd say it was still shot very early in the night. Don't think i ever went in before 1 o'clock anyways usually up around sides or abrekebabera getting ready if ya know what i mean. Didn't experienece the place myself till around october 93 so would have no frame of reference for how busy it would have been in the early days.

my head is done in stephen trying to remember the year i first went to the asylum.still trying to figure out if it was 92 or 93.don't think the first coulpe of nites i was in there were the allnighters that it eventually became.i know a couple of lads i went to school had started to attend the olympic while we were still in school.so i think i may still have been in school myself the first and second time i attended the asylum.

now weather or not it was 92 or 03 i'm still not sure.we did our leaving in 93,but i think it was b4 that.i'm thinking it was stephan's nite 92,if at all it was open that nite.and from what i can remember the first 2 nites we attended it was'nt that busy.

see we used to go to the apartments,and i'm sure that was 91/92.heard about the asylum and thought we'd give it a go.we only went twice in the early days because it was'nt that busy and ya had less of a chance of getting a bird,was much easier in the apartments.:D

another thing that sticks in my mind about my first time in the asylum(and i'm probably going of me head here:confused:)but i'm sure that the decks were just set up on a table on the dance floor,and ya could dance right beside the lads while they were spinning.i'm sure warren k was on that nite as i have a vision of a dj with long hair.i also remember that the music from the middle floor was just relayed tru speakers to the top floor,so the music on the middle floor and top was the same.(still waiting for somebody else to confirm this for me)and no i was'nt halucinating as we did'nt even do any spark plugs.:eek:

so after the first 2 nites in there we did'nt go back for a good while,possibly 8/9 months till it picked up and the allnighters started.any one know exactly when they did start.all a bit hazy really.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

energizeaprilalexcalverfinal-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickam

aceberg wrote: »
    my head is done in stephen trying to remember the year i first went to the asylum.still trying to figure out if it was 92 or 93.don't think the first coulpe of nites i was in there were the allnighters that it eventually became.i know a couple of lads i went to school had started to attend the olympic while we were still in school.so i think i may still have been in school myself the first and second time i attended the asylum.

now weather or not it was 92 or 03 i'm still not sure.we did our leaving in 93,but i think it was b4 that.i'm thinking it was stephan's nite 92,if at all it was open that nite.and from what i can remember the first 2 nites we attended it was'nt that busy.

see we used to go to the apartments,and i'm sure that was 91/92.heard about the asylum and thought we'd give it a go.we only went twice in the early days because it was'nt that busy and ya had less of a chance of getting a bird,was much easier in the apartments.:D

another thing that sticks in my mind about my first time in the asylum(and i'm probably going of me head here:confused:)but i'm sure that the decks were just set up on a table on the dance floor,and ya could dance right beside the lads while they were spinning.i'm sure warren k was on that nite as i have a vision of a dj with long hair.i also remember that the music from the middle floor was just relayed tru speakers to the top floor,so the music on the middle floor and top was the same.(still waiting for somebody else to confirm this for me)and no i was'nt halucinating as we did'nt even do any spark plugs.:eek:

so after the first 2 nites in there we did'nt go back for a good while,possibly 8/9 months till it picked up and the allnighters started.any one know exactly when they did start.all a bit hazy really.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Sorry man somebody must have spiked you with DOTS!!!!!:eek: there was no sounds on the middle floor....it was just for skagging out & even having a drink if that was your buzz (remember bringing in 2 litres once & 4 of us being let in the other door on the front by a bouncer called gerry for a price) And the DJ box was at the front of the bottom floor by the stairs up to the second floor & was behind BARS (presumably to keep the patients of the ASYLUM out:D). Just for more indulgence in this post there was also a big Luminous orange budda painted on the wall after you came down the stairs from paying on the wall of the second part of the bottom floor away from the DJ box.....And camoulflage netting over the speakers (you can see that once or twice in the video i posted). On the second floor at the end of the far wall before you went out to the stairs to the third floor there was a painting of the ASYLUM baby in straight jacket (like the one on the flyer in my posts in NI Oldskoll) & over it a quote " 'ASYLUM' A SAFE SANCTUARY FOR THE INSANE " thats why i scrolled that across the end of the ASYLUM vid i posted:D. The top floor was bare walls with the roof trusses exposed...i remember the first time i heard DREAMS by quench was on the top floor & it was bright outside because i think i saw daylight between where the roof met the wall shining through a little gap (maybe i was off my head...lot of DOTS were consumed back then with everything else). The last thing i'll say because i dont bore ye,:( everyone knows the tune 'FOR WHAT YOU DREAM OF' by 'BEDROCK' when we were buzzin in the ASYLUM we thought it said 'ASYLUM BABIES' where it said 'SIGN OF AGES' & thought somebody had made the tune for the ASYLUM so next time you hear that tune imagine you are back on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM and listen to the words putting 'ASYLUM BABIES' in where it should & imagine it was made for all the ASYLUM ravers exclusivley (it still gives me a shiver):D Sorry for boring you:mad:

Sorry man somebody must have spiked 'FOR WHAT YOU DREAM OF' by 'BEDROCK' when we were buzzin in the ASYLUM we thought it said 'ASYLUM BABIES' where it said 'SIGN OF AGES' & thought somebody had made the tune for the ASYLUM so next time you hear that tune imagine you are back on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM and listen to the words putting 'ASYLUM BABIES' in where it should & imagine it was made for all the ASYLUM ravers exclusivley (it still gives me a shiver):D Sorry for boring you:mad:

used to always get that with tunes i heard when i was off my nut. Thought for ages the girl on sonero - alchamey was saying I'm on E and thought how appropriate lol

Ace my memory for dates and **** is absolutley shot too much excess over the years but as far as I remember the all nighters had started by the time i found the Asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭evoblade

lads i have a buch of about 60 proper classics for sale,there's some very rare records in the buch,if anyones interested gimme a shout
    cheers

Sorry man somebody must have spiked you with DOTS!!!!!:eek: there was no sounds on the middle floor....it was just for skagging out & even having a drink if that was your buzz (remember bringing in 2 litres once & 4 of us being let in the other door on the front by a bouncer called gerry for a price) And the DJ box was at the front of the bottom floor by the stairs up to the second floor & was behind BARS (presumably to keep the patients of the ASYLUM out:D). Just for more indulgence in this post there was also a big Luminous orange budda painted on the wall after you came down the stairs from paying on the wall of the second part of the bottom floor away from the DJ box.....And camoulflage netting over the speakers (you can see that once or twice in the video i posted). On the second floor at the end of the far wall before you went out to the stairs to the third floor there was a painting of the ASYLUM baby in straight jacket (like the one on the flyer in my posts in NI Oldskoll) & over it a quote " 'ASYLUM' A SAFE SANCTUARY FOR THE INSANE " thats why i scrolled that across the end of the ASYLUM vid i posted:D. The top floor was bare walls with the roof trusses exposed...i remember the first time i heard DREAMS by quench was on the top floor & it was bright outside because i think i saw daylight between where the roof met the wall shining through a little gap (maybe i was off my head...lot of DOTS were consumed back then with everything else). The last thing i'll say because i dont bore ye,:( everyone knows the tune 'FOR WHAT YOU DREAM OF' by 'BEDROCK' when we were buzzin in the ASYLUM we thought it said 'ASYLUM BABIES' where it said 'SIGN OF AGES' & thought somebody had made the tune for the ASYLUM so next time you hear that tune imagine you are back on the bottom floor of the ASYLUM and listen to the words putting 'ASYLUM BABIES' in where it should & imagine it was made for all the ASYLUM ravers exclusivley (it still gives me a shiver):D Sorry for boring you:mad:

yeah remember the were the dj box was alright.i'm just thinking was it used from the word go.when exactly did the place open.cause i remember (as i've said we used to go to the apartments)the first coulple of nites in the asylum there were a few familiar faces from the apartmentds there.these were blokes who used to frequent the apartments and who knew all the new dances,all the new moves if ya get me.also as i've said b4 i reckon my first time in the asyluim was back in 92 possibly just after it opened.now i could be way off the mark.when was the first time you entered the place.was it from the begining.might clear up a few things that have been bugging me a bit for a while now.:D

johnny I'll have it up on rapidshare within the next day or two. Have to upload it in eight seperate parts. If you want Ill pm you my premium details as I know you ahte RS :D

cheers mate just my bleedin luck though i actually had a premium rapidshare account but it's recently expired :o would be great if i could get a "loan" of yours to download this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Side A

1 - Unknown
    2 - Unknown
    3 - Soapy - Horny As Funk
    4 - Tony De Vit - Burning Up
    5 - Luna Eclipse - The Return Home
    6 - Unknown
    7 - Poltergeist - Vicious Circles
    8 - Artemisia - Bits n Pieces

Side B

1 - MBG - Trance Wave 4 (The Future Is Now)
    2 - Unknown
    3 - Luxor - Superstitious
    4 - Interactive - Koma
    5 - Unknown - remix of old hardcore track
    6 - Baby Doc & The Dentist - Tales of the Nascarpi
    7 - Razor's Edge - Exquisite Sin
    8 - Sydex - Induction
    9 - PH1 - Technicidad
    10 - Baby Doc - Eurotic

• Advertisement

aceberg wrote: »
    yeah remember the were the dj box was alright.i'm just thinking was it used from the word go.when exactly did the place open.cause i remember (as i've said we used to go to the apartments)the first coulple of nites in the asylum there were a few familiar faces from the apartmentds there.these were blokes who used to frequent the apartments and who knew all the new dances,all the new moves if ya get me.also as i've said b4 i reckon my first time in the asyluim was back in 92 possibly just after it opened.now i could be way off the mark.when was the first time you entered the place.was it from the begining.might clear up a few things that have been bugging me a bit for a while now.:D
    Sorry man follow you now...didnt drag myself away from the OLYMPIC until summer 93 to the ASYLUM but in the video i posted most of the footage is taken on the bottom floor on the second half of it during the tune YOUNG BRAVES & it looks like the DJ box was concealed then (the direction the camera is pointing was towards the DJ box) & that was filmed in FEB 92 hope this de bugs a few things for ya:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickam

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭daragh_k

used to always get that with tunes i heard when i was off my nut. Thought for ages the girl on sonero - alchamey was saying I'm on E and thought how appropriate lol

I know its mad init like the tune off limbo called panoramic shuffle I think has a vocal running through it thats hard to make out..was on one of the early pressure tapes and wen we were heading in there or back at parties we were convinced it said "Go Pressure Go Go"...........

I know its mad init like the tune off limbo called panoramic shuffle I think has a vocal running through it thats hard to make out..was on one of the early pressure tapes and wen we were heading in there or back at parties we were convinced it said "Go Pressure Go Go"...........[/quote]

Yep thats right....... i still want to stick with the belief thats what it does say cause i got a great buzz out of that tape for years thinking it was made for the ASYLUM:D.....i think it was on that tape GRADIATION

daragh_k wrote: »
    lol

I know its mad init like the tune off limbo called panoramic shuffle I think has a vocal running through it thats hard to make out..was on one of the early pressure tapes and wen we were heading in there or back at parties we were convinced it said "Go Pressure Go Go"...........

there's a certain individual from Bray who thought the same, without naming names :D

sure do ye's remember that tune KWS "please don't go" i always thought it said "please the pope" :p

there's a certain individual from Bray who thought the same, without naming names :D
    lol :D
    always thought thats was said in that tune as well daragh ,' go pressure pressure go '
    few more tunes that were around that i made up my own words lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inacuckooclock

sure do ye's remember that tune KWS "please don't go" i always thought it said "please the pope" :p
    ;"please dont grope!ohhh baby pleeease dont grope!"but your honor i thought she was sayin......" :D:Dguilty!:p3 levels ?;)

Cheers to Derra for directing me to this board & his suggestion to post my video here of the ASYLUM in 1992.....
    Alright ravers......here is the only video that i know of from the ASYLUM, this is the entire footage that was taken for the primtime show that was already posted on this site which only uses about 5mins of actual footage from inside the ASYLUM as you will see if you compare them....now the camera man wont win any prizes for his 'feet shots' or how much of the place he explored crossjerk.gif but what can you do, in a time well before the digital age we are in now were lucky to have it i reckon....the place is not exactly packed either but lets face it if you remember the place you wouldnt have seen fu*k all from a camera if was taken on one of the packed nights later in the 90's.....anyway i have put my own photos on the start and sountrack to raise the hairs on the back of all you ASYLUM heads necks with a glimpse into the past of what once was sniff.gif

I left this video in mpeg format in two halves so there would be no messing around with it playing it straight away when you get it.....if you have trouble playing it you can download Videolan media player here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ just select your operating system and choose from any of the locations listed and BINGO! you can play anything super.gifmegaupload.com links will expire after 90 days if not used ravers so dont use them in future....didnt know this until i had it uploaded sad.gif
    ASYLUM_FEB_92_THIN_ICE_PART_1_400mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIBFF723

ASYLUM_FEB_92_THIN_ICE_PART_2_400mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JCJ34QYS

Ok, heres the video uploaded to my rapidshare so it will never expire.

http://rapidshare.com/files/109231072/AsylumOriginalFootage.part01.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109231163/AsylumOriginalFootage.part02.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109499727/AsylumOriginalFootage.part03.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109490749/AsylumOriginalFootage.part04.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109795649/AsylumOriginalFootage.part05.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109793694/AsylumOriginalFootage.part06.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/110025671/AsylumOriginalFootage.part07.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109786020/AsylumOriginalFootage.part08.rar

Also in case any of you missed them the last time.

Prime time episode : Asylum, featuring footage from the above video.

http://rapidshare.com/files/39543089/Asylum.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/39679729/Asylum.part2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/39708390/Asylum.part3.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/39720451/Asylum.part4.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/39729469/Asylum.part5.rar

Olympic Ballroom, night of the raid:

http://rapidshare.com/files/27930852/LIVE_Olympic_Ballroom__Dublin__footage_the_nite_of_the_Raid__Sept__93____NYE__92.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/28568017/LIVE_Olympic_Ballroom__Dublin__footage_the_nite_of_the_Raid__Sept__93____NYE__92.part2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/28582315/LIVE_Olympic_Ballroom__Dublin__footage_the_nite_of_the_Raid__Sept__93____NYE__92.part3.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/28593685/LIVE_Olympic_Ballroom__Dublin__footage_the_nite_of_the_Raid__Sept__93____NYE__92.part4.rar

scan0001-9.jpg

this is davy wheeler b2b with wardy at energize in bray :)
    super set from the lads , buzzin behind the decks for their whole set :)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?40vdjyetdxk
    stay tuned ,more to follow with sets from alan pullen and alex calver ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 J.R Ward

nice one derra musch appreciated.. will sort out a tracklist during the week heads a bit fried now ha ha.. had a great time playing :D

• Advertisement

Nice one slunk im renewing my rapidshare premium account next week so will download these then.

Must be a Bray thing so lol

alan pullen @ energize in bray
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kgc2w2x85kl

ALEX CALVER @ energize in bray
    now this is only for the headstrong :D
    dont know how my laptop survived this set lol
    must be the only dj i have ever seen use every button and knob on a mixer ,this is fantastic ...njoi :)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?00qttmxmynj

not really suited for the asylum thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

Does anyone remember a tune entitled - Music is my life, I think it was on Faze 2 records, I'm looking to find out the name of the artist if anyone can help ??
    It was areal sides clasic :)

Dacoop wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a tune entitled - Music is my life, I think it was on Faze 2 records, I'm looking to find out the name of the artist if anyone can help ??
    It was areal sides clasic :)

http://www.discogs.com/release/54642

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

Ah Thanks mill Senan, appreciate you time and help.
    I remember now, this is on the same label as intuition dance with me !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JanetG

Alright, The Asylum was the first rave I'd ever been to, I was 14 years of age and loved the place, I'm still go to Rave's if a good dj plays and that's not very often I've been to Amsterdam & Ibiza ravin and always said no Nightclub comes near The Asylum. Remembering it Always brings me back to my childhood, the good ole day's, Your cousin is tellin u the truth, My mates still slag me about it cause I still talk about it till this day nearly 14 years since It's closed! Hope this tells u a little about what u missed out on! Ha Ha!!!!!

same label as intuition dance with me !!!

1 savage tune that, without a shadow of a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ah Thanks mill Senan, appreciate you time and help.
    I remember now, this is on the same label as intuition dance with me !!!

yeah and not to mention perfect day by cosmo and pvd

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement