Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

es-cee wrote: »
    still like the olbas oil myself when out on the town, do just rub it around my nose and happy days is right haha :pac:

Often wondered if people still used it. Didn't seem to on any of my nights out in the past 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

anyone know why clubbers back in the day are seen with vicks or tiger balm in their hands, ive seen numerous of oldskool videos showing pictures of ecstacy etc but strangely vicks and tiger balm is what im most curious about haha:D

Yeah people in the Olympic had dust masks on smeared with the stuff.
    Another old favorite was 'Olbas Oil' the whole place smelt of Vicks and Olbas Oil all night long:)

Oil.jpg

Not a bad tune.

Here is one you either love or hate :)
    I'm kinda sitting on the fence on this one, mainly because it reminds me of an old mate that's no longer with us.

Loved this in the Olympic the bass in that track was great but it has been played to death on radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I had all these and lost them, nice one man ****ing superb mixes from one of the legendary Raves :)
    germulhall wrote: »
    http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/sets/universe-big-love-13-08-1993/

1. Frankie Knuckles @ Universe, Big Love 13.08.1993 50.03
    2. David Morales @ Universe, Big Love - 13.08.1993 1.00.52
    3. Paul Oakenfold @ Universe, Big Love - 13.08.1993 1.01.24
    4. LTJ Bukem @ Universe, Big Love -13.08.1993 1.05.02
    5. Carl Cox @ Universe, Big Love - 14.08.1993 37.13
    6. Mickey Finn @ Universe, Big Love - 13.08.1993 55.21
    7. Nick Warren @ Universe, Big Love - 13.08.1993 1.00.42
    8. Ratty @ Universe, Big Love 13.08.1993 42.40
    9. DJ Kid @ Universe, Big Love 14.08.1993 59.23
    10. The Producer @ Universe, Big Love - 14.08.1993 59.39
    11. Grooverider @ Universe, Big Love - 14.08.1993 52.12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

SteoL wrote: »
    Often wondered if people still used it. Didn't seem to on any of my nights out in the past 2 years

was at an altern8 gig in the vaults in '09 i think it was and was dancin up at the front in the ormond room when keno flanagan and orbit were on the decks and some bird came out of no were (or she seemed to anyway as i was mashed on mdma) and stuck a dust mask full of olbas oil on my face haha, was rushin to bits after that fair play to her lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

SteoL wrote: »
    It was the DJ's for me as well. Mainly Warren as he was always my favourite back then but also Jay as never had the pleasure of catching his sets - I believe he was retired when I started gigging (about 94ish). Might just pay the fecking thing, who knows when I'll see this line up again.

Tho I am worried about es commments on other old skool nights, can anyone explain what made them so sh!te??? :confused:

I have been to a good few old skool nights. Mostly in Radio City / Vaults and I have to say they were all fairly good except one night cause of dick heads there rather than the night itself. I got what I expected: tunes I havent heard on the big speakers since BITD, lazers and like minded people there enjoying themselves. I have spent 20 euro on 4 pints of beer in a pub or a feckin t-shirt so I'll gladly spend it for this night.
    I wonder if this tread had any inspiration for this or any of the old skool nights cause I've met a few from here at these nights.
    Hope to see some of you there..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

tell ya's lads, keno's doin a good job of bringin me back to my youth all week long with mixes on his facebook dj page.
    another stompin mix of hard house this from 2001, have it on here now and just picturin myself boucin off the walls in the crypt lol :D
    cool mix, check it out ;)

http://soundcloud.com/keno-flanagan/dj-keno-flanagan-intensity-mix

Some deadly pictures of flyers on someones befroom wall i seen, my own bedroom in me ma's gaff was similar to this back in the day, the aul wun used to moan at me for years wantin to get the walls stripped and painted i wouldn;t hear of it :D

abbfabb_02.jpgabbfabb_03.jpg
    abbfabb_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

ubiquity - bolivian angel (top tune indeed)

But that would have been an OLYMPIC classic sean!, sureley to cheesy for your liking:pac:

I actually have the later (1996) Robbie Nelson release on Baldy Records , it's nowhere on the tube, been meaning to correct that but i'm having trouble with my Audacity at the mo , in that the volume doesnt seem to improve no matter what i tweek n twiddle :confused:

http://www.discogs.com/Robbie-Nelson-Bolivian-Angel-96/release/466394

For the record - I liked this particular taste of 'cheese' :D , slightly matured cheddar!

any1 got a copy of 'dj pressure - beach koma' they could up please?
    was a mix released around 2001 i think it was, had it on tape
    back then but went missing.

cheers, es :)

• Advertisement

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I actually have the later (1996) Robbie Nelson release on Baldy Records , it's nowhere on the tube, been meaning to correct that but i'm having trouble with my Audacity at the mo , in that the volume doesnt seem to improve no matter what i tweek n twiddle :confused:

http://www.discogs.com/Robbie-Nelson-Bolivian-Angel-96/release/466394

For the record - I liked this particular taste of 'cheese' :D , slightly matured cheddar!

ya probably need to 'normalize' the audio G, when ya record it, click 'effects' on the top menu bar then scroll down to 'normalize' on the list and click it, a box will pop up asking you about the db level, just ignore that and use the default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Some deadly pictures of flyers on someones befroom wall i seen, my own bedroom in me ma's gaff was similar to this back in the day, the aul wun used to moan at me for years wantin to get the walls stripped and painted i wouldn;t hear of it :D

abbfabb_02.jpgabbfabb_03.jpg
    abbfabb_01.jpg

Yeah thats the business Jonny.Used to fill my walls up with Liverpool posters.:D
    When i got a bit older i'd throw up a few flyers and stuff.

Jasus was just thinking.You'd have some buzz tripping on acid in that room.

Yeah man id loads of those flyers on that wall on my own wall, i used to come in from Sides,etc when there was no parties on and skin up joints in me room with the chill out tunes on and trip off the flyers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

i'm having trouble with my Audacity at the mo , in that the volume doesnt seem to improve no matter what i tweek n twiddle :confused:
    This is a problem for me too mate,albeit i could never get it right from day 1...I just use the crap software that came with my usb thingy!
    Let us know if ya get it sorted.cheers;)

ya probably need to 'normalize' the audio G, when ya record it, click 'effects' on the top menu bar then scroll down to 'normalize' on the list and click it, a box will pop up asking you about the db level, just ignore that and use the default settings.

Nice 1 Es .... I'll give it a bash tomorrow, can't be ar$ed at the mo, i'm in wind down mode lol
    sgtbilko01 wrote: »
    This is a problem for me too mate,albeit i could never get it right from day 1...I just use the crap software that came with my usb thingy!
    Let us know if ya get it sorted.cheers;)

Will do Sarge!

Re: bold text .... :confused: ehh!?!

On another note, i've also decided to step into the 21st century and look at getting sorted with Hercules RMX & TC Vinyls ...purely from an economical point of veiw :o lol , ah no, I've been resisting the advice to go down the 'new technology' route but it makes the most sense, I've almot 500mb of tunage on a portable HD and vinyl aint getting any cheaper!!....that said,I'll still buy the occasional vinyl but possibly limit it to the real 'classics' .

......oh,and speaking of vinyl ..... anyone into the 'newer' Electro House type sh!te top tunage? ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/vinyl/vinyls-electro-house-techno-dance-club-hiphop-rnb-150-peices-in-total/345629

I'll be listing a second lot soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Yeah people in the Olympic had dust masks on smeared with the stuff.
    Another old favorite was 'Olbas Oil' the whole place smelt of Vicks and Olbas Oil all night long:)

Loved this in the Olympic the bass in that track was great but it has been played to death on radio

I remember the whole place smelled of it,when it got in your eye's it was a bitch:D did you have an altern 8 mask also Sean? and a boiler suit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

Will do Sarge!

ye lol ...was refering to one of those usb turntables i bought/produces ony 128 bitrate:(

Not a bad tune.

Here is one you either love or hate :)
    I'm kinda sitting on the fence on this one, mainly because it reminds me of an old mate that's no longer with us.

:eek: I'm kicking & shaking d'fook out of the fence,trying to make yiz fall into the "hate this one" yard lol .....absolute cack hated it the first time i heard it and every other time since.........in all seriousness though, i understand ya having a link to the past with it P, respectful condolences and R.I.P.
    Ah no paddy, aint no sittin on the fence on that, absolute class that was, really brought the night winding down when it was played mostly about 1.30 and after if i remember right (i may not be remebering right now 19 years later:()

;) Ooooh I get it, your on a wind up! right? ..... Key, you are winding us up with this? aren't you? :eek: ........... jaysus it was end of the night tunes like that that made me glad i had fresh batteries in the walkman, make for an early exit and grab a peice of kerb for a smoke n some fresh air.
    i'm wouldn't be on the fence about this one either, hate it. even snapped the copy i had at a party in my mates about 8 years ago coz it got played 3 times. not my cuppa at all but all my mates love it, ragga vocals do my head in in any type of music when they're constantly goin throughout a tune, especially ragga jungle, absolutely hate ragga jungle.
    not for me this track but every1 to their own i suppose.

:( b b b b but Jungle is massif!!! ....... you know me n genres , I just hate tunes I consider sh!t .... but then there's good ones in all genres too (I think :confused:)

My definition of sh!t

Kinda reminds me off these pair :rolleyes:

This 'jungle' isn't massif :mad: ......or incredible!

Good job we're "Jungled up in Duuuuublin sweet" hehehe ;)

:D

Nice 1 Es .... I'll give it a bash tomorrow, can't be ar$ed at the mo, i'm in wind down mode lol

Will do Sarge!

On another note, i've also decided to step into the 21st century and look at getting sorted with Hercules RMX & TC Vinyls ...purely from an economical point of veiw :o lol , ah no, I've been resisting the advice to go down the 'new technology' route but it makes the most sense, I've almot 500mb of tunage on a portable HD and vinyl aint getting any cheaper!!....that said,I'll still buy the occasional vinyl but possibly limit it to the real 'classics' .

......oh,and speaking of vinyl ..... anyone into the 'newer' Electro House type sh!te top tunage? ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/vinyl/vinyls-electro-house-techno-dance-club-hiphop-rnb-150-peices-in-total/345629

I'll be listing a second lot soon.

500MB or 500GB? lol :D

:eek: I'm kicking & shaking d'fook out of the fence,trying to make yiz fall into the "hate this one" yard lol .....absolute cack hated it the first time i heard it and every other time since.........in all seriousness though, i understand ya having a link to the past with it P, respectful condolences and R.I.P.

;) Ooooh I get it, your on a wind up! right? ..... Key, you are winding us up with this? aren't you? :eek: ........... jaysus it was end of the night tunes like that that made me glad i had fresh batteries in the walkman, make for an early exit and grab a peice of kerb for a smoke n some fresh air.

:( b b b b but Jungle is massif!!! ....... you know me n genres , I just hate tunes I consider sh!t .... but then there's good ones in all genres too (I think :confused:)

My definition of sh!t

Kinda reminds me off these pair :rolleyes:

This 'jungle' isn't massif :mad: ......or incredible!

Good job we're "Jungled up in Duuuuublin sweet" hehehe ;)

the last two tunes there G are alright (just alright imo) but the other ragga'd up crap is just sh1t man lol, B-RUTAL music if i ever heard it man, as for raggamuffin, absolute shoite ;)

• Advertisement

500MB or 500GB? lol :D

:o Fookin technophobia lol .....eh , yeah , 500GB's :o

:o Fookin technophobia lol .....eh , yeah , 500GB's :o

:D:D:D;)

the last two tunes there G are alright (just alright imo) but the other ragga'd up crap is just sh1t man lol, B-RUTAL music if i ever heard it man, as for raggamuffin, absolute shoite ;)

:eek: WHAT? I'm with ya on the raggamuffin shiote stuff alright BUT "the last two tunes" only??? ......ah Sean, I'm begining to think your ears are getting damaged from excess decible levels lol either that or its just a 'marmite' thing.

This Jungle tune is fookin savage!!! IMO (not been biased lol :D) ye can hardly coral that into "ragga" or "muffin" ,there's not a hint of zig n zag in it!

Remember without the Jungle we'd have none of d'drum n d'bass :(

:eek: WHAT? I'm with ya on the raggamuffin shiote stuff alright BUT "the last two tunes" only??? ......ah Sean, I'm begining to think your ears are getting damaged from excess decible levels lol either that or its just a 'marmite' thing.

This Jungle tune is fookin savage!!! IMO (not been biased lol :D) ye can hardly coral that into "ragga" or "muffin" ,there's not a hint of zig n zag in it!

Remember without the Jungle we'd have none of d'drum n d'bass :(

i love jungle man, just not gone on police sirens and ragga vocals in my music, oh and gun shots either lol.

only exception to the gun shot rule would be this track here, other than that forget about it :)

just seen this on another site, fcukin gas :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

was at an altern8 gig in the vaults in '09 i think it was and was dancin up at the front in the ormond room when keno flanagan and orbit were on the decks and some bird came out of no were (or she seemed to anyway as i was mashed on mdma) and stuck a dust mask full of olbas oil on my face haha, was rushin to bits after that fair play to her lol :D

That would have to be mandatory at an Altern8 gig, after all one of their most sucessful tunes was about when the vicks & olbas oil evapor8ted;)

http://www.discogs.com/Altern-8-EVapor8-Armageddon/master/6992

Ye!, well your air max arent as expensive as mine:D....come on whats the real excuse for leaving early? (lightweights from Jober that cant rave till the end of the night so need an excuse like, "Dont like that one")

*legs it before he gets a hiding from a gang of jober lads outside the OLYMPIC*
    just not gone on police sirens and ragga vocals in my music,

Just for you sean, this one always blew SIDES away guaranteed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

That would have to be mandatory at an Altern8 gig, after all one of their most sucessful tunes was about when the vicks & olbas oil evapor8ted;)

http://www.discogs.com/Altern-8-EVapor8-Armageddon/master/6992

ha ha I never ever copped that song was about that but just singing the lyrics in me head now and it's all come together. nice one key haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I had all these and lost them, nice one man ****ing superb mixes from one of the legendary Raves :)

Yeah great to get these all together again, Jonny. I was missing most of them myself. Had loads of Universe tapes back then only to be given out to mates and never to be seen again as usual. That lad "DJ Mixes" has a great Soundcloud account. Heres just a few more of his uploads.

Leftfield – Live @ the Electric Picnic Festival - 04.09.2010

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/leftfield-live-the-electric-picnic-festival-04-09-2010?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fdjmixes%2Fleftfield-live-the-electric-picnic-festival-04-09-2010

Dj X Ray, Glen Molloy, Love Decade & Carl Cox @ Harmony 9, Kellys Portrush, Sat 4th Sept 1993

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/dj-x-ray-glen-malloy-love-decade-carl-cox-harmony-9-kellys-portrush-sat-4th-sept

Glen Molloy 9 - Peace Of Mind

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/glen-molloy-9-peace-of-mind

Download - http://www.mediafire.com/?1tmefmx2zyx

Glen Molloy - E= No Hype'2

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/glen-molloy-e-no-hype2

I'm gutted i never made it to this, i remember picking up a flyer for it somewhere in town but i didn't have enough money to get the ferry over for it (rarely ever flew then due to the cost)

• Advertisement

I'm going all misty eyed :o:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement