Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Does anyone remember a track with the vocal King of Islam, Nations God. I heard it on an old Dollard tape which was from around 93/94!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

germulhall wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a track with the vocal King of Islam, Nations God. I heard it on an old Dollard tape which was from around 93/94!!

http://www.discogs.com/release/221335

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭germulhall

Jay D wrote: »
    yeah and not to mention perfect day by cosmo and pvd
    aceberg wrote: »
    Nice one mate!! Fair play to ya!! I`ve been looking for that for a good while!! Do you know where i could get Blue Amazons first release Hypersleep on Mp3!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

germulhall wrote: »
    Do you know where i could get Blue Amazons first release Hypersleep on Mp3!!
    www.nioldskool.co.uk
    join that site for tunes ,mixes and just about anything oldskool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

ASYLUM NITE CANCELED WORD IS GARDA APPEARED AND PUT A STOP TO IT BEFORE IT WENT AHEAD :mad:

JUST BACK FROM SIBIN FESTIVAL DEADLY, DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED

LOOKS LIKE IT'S THE SURGEOUN @ TRAFFIC NOW:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

disaster :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

the ****. the whole road was closed off, about 50 coppers, mental. all for a private function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

senan s wrote: »
    the ****. the whole road was closed off, about 50 coppers, mental. all for a private function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very unfortunate. You guys put a lot of effort into this. And without doubt there would surely have been more serious things going on around Dublin last night that 50 Guards could ahve spent that time stopping...

Unlucky guys, but lets remember that this is a (very) public forum when discussing this over the next few days. Inappropraite posts etc will be deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thats poxy, how can they prevent a private party going ahead?

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Thats poxy, how can they prevent a private party going ahead?
    dont know the reasons why it was stopped but i would imagine it being the asylum and it was the most notorious club the country has seen it was not gonna be let happen again for whatever reason. it didnt even kick off last night , it seemed it was nipped in the bud very quickly.
    am sure every tom, dick and harry would of been in the area last night at some stage through the night trying to get in as news spread over the weeks on the internet, word of mouth and what have ya :rolleyes:
    it was a very risky venture to begin with in terms of it actually goin ahead, it would of been packed to the rafters with clubbers so there was nothing risky in it that way.
    it's very unfortunate for the organisers as they seemed to have put alot into this trip down memory lane and for people to experience the asylum but thats one of the problems , i reckon the law just said no chance is this place taking off again :(

Just wondering has anyone even seen the inside of the place? Had a lot of prep work gone into it, cleaning up etc. It was always going to be risky being so close to O Connell Street but you have to say fair balls to whoever thought of holding this! :eek: Hope not too much money was lost.

Who owns the building now? Could something be done with the premises?

Cheers,

Disappointed.:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah suppose it was always going to be a risk given the history and being a city centre location. Next time an out of town/undisclosed location would make more sense... and private property for when the undisclosed becomes known :)

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah suppose it was always going to be a risk given the history and being a city centre location. Next time an out of town/undisclosed location would make more sense... and private property for when the undisclosed becomes known :)
    but it wouldnt be the asylum
    it was the fact that it was gonna be there that created all the hype :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 djsk

SORRY ABOUT LAST NIGHT LADS.

KEEP THE HEAD UP.. :cool::):D

Fciukin Garda scum make me sick closing down partys when they should be out catching real criminals:mad: we were on way back from the excellent (but badly organised) Sibin Festival in Baltothery when we got the bad news, ended up going to Acii Disco in Traffic which was alright nothing to write home about,had a party back at ours then.

Word is loads of people had this asylum nite on their bebo,facebook,etc accounts so it was almost a guarantee the cops would get wind of it, well cheers to those who put the effort in, hopefully at some stage it'll get to go ahead, i never spoke to so many people last nite who were gutted it didn't go ahead, it appears half of Dublin wanted to go to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dayo41

what a shame!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LukeG

bohsboy wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone even seen the inside of the place? Had a lot of prep work gone into it, cleaning up etc. It was always going to be risky being so close to O Connell Street but you have to say fair balls to whoever thought of holding this! :eek: Hope not too much money was lost.

Who owns the building now? Could something be done with the premises?

Cheers,

Disappointed.:mad:

If you walk down sackville place its the red building, the academy dancing school it's called nowadays...

Myself and my mates were headin to the pub before it at around 7 and there was a **** van outside the asylum, no police in it so we thought they must have been inside, got a text a few minutes later of one of the djs sayin it was all off, within a few minutes later the guards swarmed into sackville place and had both ends closed off,

myself and a few others off the board who had passes stood in groups of several on o connell street just around the corner lookin like we had just died, it was a poxy one alright, loads of scummy lookin ***** turned up tho, bottles of vodka and bags of cans in their hands askin everyone were they sellin tickets, so they were obviously un-invited, we were even asked ""heorr laddddzz which one of them is the asylum, is it on this road is it???"" *****

so i agree with johnny68, it was all over bebo etc, and it was being mouthed out all over pirate stations which are constantly being monitored by the guards anyway...

ah well, it was a good idea in anyway.....fair play for organising it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

jonny68 wrote: »
    Fciukin Garda scum make me sick closing down partys when they should be out catching real criminals:mad: we were on way back from the excellent (but badly organised) Sibin Festival in Baltothery when we got the bad news, ended up going to Acii Disco in Traffic which was alright nothing to write home about,had a party back at ours then.

Word is loads of people had this asylum nite on their bebo,facebook,etc accounts so it was almost a guarantee the cops would get wind of it, well cheers to those who put the effort in, hopefully at some stage it'll get to go ahead, i never spoke to so many people last nite who were gutted it didn't go ahead, it appears half of Dublin wanted to go to this.

Jonny....less of the comments like 'Garda scum' pls. I'm of the same opinion that they could have had a lot better things to be doing. But they arent 'scum'. They are just doing their job.

As for the bebo/facebook/internet thing, thats the nature of these things. It happens, to be fair there was plenty of comments on this forum relating to the party, any direct ones I deleted. But even your own *wink, wink* *nudge nudge* type comments on the weekend thread help add to the 'there's something special happening in town this weekend.

So I guess what I'm saying is no one is blameless.

All in all its very unfortunate that the party got shut down before it even got going. I'm sure the lads had put a lot of effort into it, and hopefully they can pull it off sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Was just about to leave the house when I got a text that it was cancelled. Hopefully it can be organised again but I suppose that depends on the legalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

:mad::mad:

Who were the DJ's lined up to play and was it going to go all night?

bohsboy wrote: »
    Who were the DJ's lined up to play and was it going to go all night?

Supposed to be on all night, 12 hours man,

the line up was level 1, mick walsh, warren k, pat hyland, ed case, dj thyme,

level 2, rejuvination vs reactive...

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Ah well seems as tho the gig of the decade didnt go ahead, thought id throw up a few mixes

ED CASE LIVE IN G1S (Above the phibsboro ice rink)

Side 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?2bwydzbgrn3

Side 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?zozw2z229x5

SARAH COLOHAN LIVE IN THE ASYLUM 19TH SEPTEMBER 1993

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6eumelnt9v1

WARREN K IN THE ASYLUM WITH DILLY MC'ING

Side 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?ixizyez4xle

Side 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?pnybixjxknn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

promo_awakeing_final_sm.jpg

This was a 'Private Party' and entrance was by 'Invitation Only' so there was no need for a flyer to be released pre-event to the public. For those who do want a copy, You can find it here. http://homepage.eircom.net/~rebuzzdefuzz/flyers/awakening.html - Thanks to Everybody who put the time and effort into 'Re-Connected' - More information will follow of the events leading up to the shutdown. The gig DID get underway at exactly 11:08pm and was then shutdown just after midnight. Video footage is available and will be posted in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 J.R Ward

after much searching one of may mates finaly got me an invite was on the dart on the way in and got a phone call to say it was cancelled. walked down o connel street and saw about 40 gards all around the place.. ended up at some elctro nite was on the way home at 3 and there was still two gards standing outside. pity it didnt go ahead im sure there was alot of effort put into this. I wonder if you challanged them on it did they really have the power to shut it down considering it was a private party

savage flyer caff,was 2 gud to be true,2 many ***** new about it!!

Gen:FX wrote: »

This was a 'Private Party' and entrance was by 'Invitation Only' so there was no need for a flyer to be released pre-event to the public. For those who do want a copy, You can find it here. http://homepage.eircom.net/~rebuzzdefuzz/flyers/awakening.html - Thanks to Everybody who put the time and effort into 'Re-Connected' - More information will follow of the events leading up to the shutdown. The gig DID get underway at exactly 11:08pm and was then shutdown just after midnight. Video footage is available and will be posted in a few weeks.

What caf?? ya serious it actually went ahead for a while??? what happened like did yous let people in at all???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

J.R Ward wrote: »
    I wonder if you challanged them on it did they really have the power to shut it down considering it was a private party

I tried talking logic to the guards by saying "there hasnt been a bad word said by anyone in here or even the slightest hint of a bad vibe even though most people had met each other for the first time & would you get that in any boozer now in the city tonight" with lets say a very bemused & assertive response from a guard & ban guard who persuaded me the best way forward was for us to exit the building for our own good if you catch my drift.:D

Gen:FX wrote: »

Jaysus id no idea it actually went ahead even though it was just under an hour, from what i heard the cops were outide from about 8 or 9pm, and were stopping anyone who wanted to go in, was there many there then?

Look forward to the videos anyway, jaysus this will have to go ahead another time and next time more secretive;)

Never spoke to so many people who were gutted this didn't go ahead properly, everyone was talking about it in town over the weekend.

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    Jaysus id no idea it actually went ahead even though it was just under an hour, from what i heard the cops were outide from about 8 or 9pm, and were stopping anyone who wanted to go in, was there many there then?

Look forward to the videos anyway, jaysus this will have to go ahead another time and next time more secretive;)

Never spoke to so many people who were gutted this didn't go ahead properly, everyone was talking about it in town over the weekend.

About 40 maybe 50 max & was great vibe just to be back in the place for a while with sounds kickin like 'narcotic influence' & 'positive education' even if it was only brief......sorry man dont mean to compound the gutted ness anymore than it is....sure youll see it when the vids are posted.....two mates got a good bit on decent mobiles so i will bluetooth them & convert them to ordinary vid:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

What time did the 50 or so people manage to get in at. I was terhe around half eight or so. Seen one or two gaurds around so had a pint in the sackville, came out and they were everywhere. Street clsoed off etc. Awful shame. Ended up around in the Bleu Note for some electro.

Ever since though all Ive been hearing is how much people were gutted this didnt happen. from everywhere, people in work, down the shops etc. Seems an awful lot of people knew about this. How many were you expecting to turn up. Id say there would have been loads more than expected

Awell hopefully somethign can be organised in the future on a more hush hush basis.

Fair play for giving it ago anyway lads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROBDOW

Fair play to all involved it had the potential to be a classic. So your efforts are really appreciated.

Slunk wrote: »
    What time did the 50 or so people manage to get in at. I was terhe around half eight or so. Seen one or two gaurds around so had a pint in the sackville, came out and they were everywhere. Street clsoed off etc. Awful shame. Ended up around in the Bleu Note for some electro.

Ever since though all Ive been hearing is how much people were gutted this didnt happen. from everywhere, people in work, down the shops etc. Seems an awful lot of people knew about this. How many were you expecting to turn up. Id say there would have been loads more than expected

Awell hopefully somethign can be organised in the future on a more hush hush basis.

Fair play for giving it ago anyway lads. ;)

Was only supposed to be 500 but like you said too much waffle about it......even on the friday 1 or 2 blokes i work with asked me what i was doing at the weekend and i said f*** all.......thats the only reason it was shut down...to many people boasting they were going to the place & everyone knew about it in a flash:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sad to see it didnt go ahead, was in Sibin meself, absolutely rockin stuff all the same, really good laugh!

The fact that 150,000 bebo pages had stuff about the asylum gig might have been why it got it stopped by the cops!

Yahoo groups lads! (sheesh!)

gutted is a understatement for me,iv been waiten on something like this to happen since the asylum shut in 94,i was just arriven when the garda pulled up just walkin in the door wit a bag of cans and some quality 12inch!so close but not close enough,

ps Sully(if your reading) cheers for the taxi and your storys from d asylum(mad ****):D:D:D:D:D:D

Yep there was about 50 coppers but there is ways around everything..........had about 2 hours of mick walsh playin before they put a stop to it:mad:.....will post the few short vids & 13mins of audio i got after i do a bit of editing to make it more enjoyable to watch......didnt get much but i didnt think they were going to spoil the party that early (1am ish) sorry any of the lads who sorted me out with the tickets but they werent letting anyone else in after i got in:(......keep an eye on you tube for cafs video he took a good bit of film:D

Ah whats all this now????? ya could've said somethin man, we did sort yous out with invites after all,(actually had to waffle to some of my good mates and say our invites were all gone) and by the time we seen yous there were only two of us left, the rest had gone elsewhere. Nice one man...dead sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kali135

turks wrote: »
    savage flyer caff,was 2 gud to be true,2 many ***** new about it!!
    We all just wanted one more nite..we would leave sides and walk over to the Asluym and the excitement all over again..do you remember the little back room where the dj played..sat in there with shane mc gowan and the bloke out of erasure and they loved every minute of it with dilly and pressure playin..back to a party with mick playin and the nite was complete..satutday nite would have satisfied a whole lot of people but maybe thats the way its meant to be....maybe next time we can get that big house we got one new yrs eve beside the river in drogheda...huge it was ..we stayed for days...fancy that mick.. didnt have computers or the like for the word gettin round..it was just tis is whats happenin...lets do it..you can take the people out of the Asylum..but you cant take the Asylum out of the people..thanks 4 the invite..hope to use it elsewhere someday...xxx:)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

I only heard about this nite by reading the treads today.
    If it had of being a success I would have been gutted at missing out.
    I fell sorry for all those who had the balls to organise this.
    I was at the second last night of the Asylum myself. The next week was when some bloke got shot with the pen gun outside. That was the last actual night. It was actually supposed to open the next week as 'The Last Night' but there was too much heat on the place.
    I could have gone to the last one but we all said leave it till next week for The Last Night. And when next week came we heard the rumors that it would'nt be open but we still went in anyway hoping that it would be open. When we got there there was loads of people hanging around outside, obvious that it was'nt opening but still just hanging around for a bit cursing the scum that ruined the place for genuine Asylum clubbers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kali135

THE LAST NIGHT would have went ahead ..your right ,only for the scum who ruined it and as a result Eamonn,Big Mick,Alan were all threatned with arrest and be charged if the doors opened again....and that was the end of the steps downstairs.....

Luke G wrote: »
    Ah whats all this now????? ya could've said somethin man, we did sort yous out with invites after all,(actually had to waffle to some of my good mates and say our invites were all gone) and by the time we seen yous there were only two of us left, the rest had gone elsewhere. Nice one man...dead sound

I asked the guy who let us in can we ring a couple of people & get them in.....yourself, mark & daragh but he said no one else is coming in & if any of us left we wernt coming back in cause it was to red hot & they didnt want to get it shut down......it was a good hour after we left you when we got in & we didnt have to show the invites! ....sorry man wasnt my call but i did ask:(

just spotted what looks like some bargains for any djs on the board :)just scroll down the list for the relevant posts...
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=13
    just use same logon details as on boards.ie to make a reply or offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marcoq

was in for about 45 mins.good vibe in the place.thanks to all who tried to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Can someone please help. I left a post regarding Asylum two nights ago and it has since disappeared! The only thing I can think of why is that I briefly described what happened on the last night in 94. Sure thats not new news.
    I am sure the Re-Connected gig which didn't go ahead was the clean cut version we all wanted.

I asked the guy who let us in can we ring a couple of people & get them in.....yourself, mark & daragh but he said no one else is coming in & if any of us left we wernt coming back in cause it was to red hot & they didnt want to get it shut down......it was a good hour after we left you when we got in & we didnt have to show the invites! ....sorry man wasnt my call but i did ask:(

No bother man, was just shocked, thought it went ahead without us:eek::eek:

Didnt have a clue that anyone at all even got in, lookin forward to seein the footage...

• Advertisement

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Can someone please help. I left a post regarding Asylum two nights ago and it has since disappeared! The only thing I can think of why is that I briefly described what happened on the last night in 94. Sure thats not new news.
    I am sure the Re-Connected gig which didn't go ahead was the clean cut version we all wanted.

Trust me mate most of that crew that got it closed down are either dead or riddled unable to move nowadays... i is from down the road from where they're all from....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

Big let down alright but at least some of you got the hour out of it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

so to the ppl that did actually make it in there,how did it feel.describe the emotioms you felt when you walked down those steps again to hear some familiar classics been played in the legendary club.what was it like to walk up them back stairs again and bounce around the dance floor.

cooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm oooonnnnnnnnn:pac::pac:

:D:D

aceberg wrote: »
    so to the ppl that did actually make it in there,how did it feel.describe the emotioms you felt when you walked down those steps again to hear some familiar classics been played in the legendary club.what was it like to walk up them back stairs again and bounce around the dance floor.

cooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm oooonnnnnnnnn:pac::pac:

:D:D

Go on ace rub it in ;);););););););)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

has anyone got an mp3 copy of the shaker strong to survive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement