Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Back in the late 90's Ed Rush and Optical created this new sound called
    "Techstep" is this what your calling neourfunk es cee?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techstep

To be honest i never liked this Techstep it was too metalllic sounding and harsh for my liking, i was always more of a jump up jungle fan, i also loved the LTJ Bukem/MC Conrad chilled sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Back in the late 90's Ed Rush and Optical created this new sound called
    "Techstep" is this what your calling neourfunk es cee?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techstep

To be honest i never liked this Techstep it was too metalllic sounding and harsh for my liking, i was always more of a jump up jungle fan, i also loved the LTJ Bukem/MC Conrad chilled sound.

neurofunk split from techstep about 97 man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofunk, its nearly the same but techstep is more minimal in comparison.
    i just love it all jonny, anythin with a high tempo and breakbeat i'm all over like a cheap suit :D especially if its dark!

i should note that it has become alot heavier and way more "metallic" as you put it in comparison to the early techstep days.

techstep

neurofunk

its basically the same music just a bit more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

:rolleyes: Bleedin genre junkies! :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxJ12mT767G6C8aeJUNYerDNO9wzvQZ42r0EuC06j8DXt8BqwBFA

"shurrup ya dope its neeeurofunk not techstep now ya eejit,cooome on man,I'm ina heap here,lets see can we even scab enough for a bita juuuungle or drum n baaaass dyaknowwarrimean"

"yeeeaaahhh ok man but i don't giva ballix,me hole if i'm takin any haaaaappy hardcowr again,fookin shiote buzz"

"Sound"

"Sound"

"righ c'mon man,here's d'luas" mmmeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh :p

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Bleedin genre junkies! :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxJ12mT767G6C8aeJUNYerDNO9wzvQZ42r0EuC06j8DXt8BqwBFA

"shurrup ya dope its neeeurofunk not techstep now ya eejit,cooome on man,I'm ina heap here,lets see can we even scab enough for a bita juuuungle or drum n baaaass dyaknowwarrimean"

"yeeeaaahhh ok man but i don't giva ballix,me hole if i'm takin any haaaaappy hardcowr again,fookin shiote buzz"

"Sound"

"Sound"

"righ c'mon man,here's d'luas" mmmeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh :p

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

LOL :D:D

Nah i couldn't be dealing with that sound at all at my age :o id be into some chilled out Drum & Bass thesedays not the harsh metallic breakbeats like this but each to their own.

Used to love the aul Jump up jungle though stuff like these...

Nah i couldn't be dealing with that sound at all at my age :o id be into some chilled out Drum & Bass thesedays not the harsh metallic breakbeats like this but each to their own.

love jump up myself, you should check out some of the liquid funk mixes on yt and google them as well, loads online for free dl, great kinda chilled stuff with brilliant melodies and harmonies in it ;)

heres one of the mixes on yt mate, liquidfunk dnb, its all about funk with dnb these days :D

heres my set from the other night if any of ya's wanna take a trip on the darkside :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?ghipvkkgvc0nzgy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

On a completely seperate note lads:D just watching that Veronica Guerin film (for about the 5th time) all very tragic indeed but i remember that time well, i was a serious smoker then, i used to go through nearly 3/4 ounces of hash a week then :eek: not to mention the yokes,speed and to a lesser extent the charlie (wasn't much of it around in 96) you couldn't get hash in Dublin for love nor money for about 2 months after that shooting as all the big dealers went into hiding and no one was moving anything is what the word on the street was, we used to be climbing the walls after going out raving, back to the gaff and no smoke, bizzarely enough there was no shortage at all of yokes and speed and acid just hash, i remember someone;) offering 50 yokes for a ounce of hash but no takers so it was increased to a hundred yokes people were becoming that desperate, i went 6 weeks without a joint and i was up the bleedin walls until finally some smoke appeared at top dollar and managed to get some.

Bit of a random post this but brings me back to 96 im sure a few of yiz remember that time,jaysus my consumption of persian rugs then was big (in years to come was to get bigger:eek:;))

That was a bad period for tokers alright Johnny. I used always keep a "float" of at least an ounce in case of droughts but even that ran out not long after the Guerin shooting. I remember being up in me mate's gaff not long after and he said he'd dropped a five spot in his room about a year ago and that it fell down a gap in the floorboards beside the radiator so one day when his folks were out we pulled up the floorboards and got it. Desperate times, desperate measures and all that. Best part was we found a couple of yokes aswell that he didn't ever recall losing. Result!!!!

• Advertisement

Man after me own heart johnny.....3 class picks!! :cool: "Dooowwwn crew - Liiiiighter" fookin deadly track that (even with the classic 'weepy' piano vibe lol) ....so thats what 'Jump Up' refers too? ...see me in my simplistic world would just class it all as Jungle/Dnb :o

and Renegade T is a top tune, again like with Mr Ed Rush I prefer Aphrodites early stuff.

But I do have a soft spot for this one lol

especially when it all kicks off at 1:30 raaaaaahhhhh :D:D:D .....as the film says "this would turn 'arry krisna into a bad bwoy"

.......G n Es Cee go to buy some vinyl .....

......G goes back for some hip hop :pac:

Cracking film :cool:

And as always ......

"Jungle is MASSIF" :D

Anorak fact: - Vocal sample taken from 'Fu Shnickens - Cray Z'

(from the Soundtrack to 'Low down Dirty Shame' in 94 ...... was a movie junkie aswell bitd lol :o especially the pisstake type flicks "Im gonna get you sucka" ,"Dont be a Menace to South Central while drinking your Juice in the Hood" , and anything with the Wayans brothers lol ,yep even "In Living color.

....first saw these guys on Dance Energy waaaay back! (another of my vices bitd - every Thurs 6:20pm on BBC2 after Fresh Prince and just before getting ready to head out for a weekend of debauchary :D

deadly, found it ....

see Mr Snipes .......White men can Jump(Up) :D check 1:24

:D Possibly my first taste of Slipmat & Lime ....

Love their early 90's stuff :cool: Bassquake,The Noise et al !

And here's a few others from DE bitd

Bizarre Inc

The Prodigy

The Shamen (before Mr C joined)

Joey Negro

Oceanic

Beloved

Altern8

....And remember ......"If ya cant Dance - Just nod ya Head!!" :D

EarlERizer wrote: »

love this vid, dance paradise had some savage gigs in 93/94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Anyone know if the confirmation number or printed email will do for half price tickets for the next gig, there is five of us so save us €50, worth a try.
    Had a great night sat, much older crowd, no little muppets standing there posing with a bottle of bud "hate that" everyone was on the same buzz having a good one.
    Defo think they should change venue tho, too much of a sweat box.
    I'd say they were raging about the amount of money they lost on water, all they had was sparkling when i went up and everyone was asking for tap water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Lads any1 got Pressure RELOAD lookin 4 this tape ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

greenheart wrote: »
    Anyone know if the confirmation number or printed email will do for half price tickets for the next gig, there is five of us so save us €50, worth a try.
    Had a great night sat, much older crowd, no little muppets standing there posing with a bottle of bud "hate that" everyone was on the same buzz having a good one.
    I'd say they were raging about the amount of money they lost on water, all they had was sparkling when i went up and everyone was asking for tap water!!!

Ahh its a far cry from when they turned off the tap water so you couldnt even get a mouth ful from the taps in the Jax in the ASYLUM to make you buy drinks at the bar.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Ahh its a far cry from when they turned off the tap water so you couldnt even get a mouth ful from the taps in the Jax in the ASYLUM to make you buy drinks at the bar.:eek:

A mate of mine was so desperate for fluids that he cuped his hands and scooped water from the stagnant sink water in the Asylum. Needless to say I slapped his hands away from his mouth:eek:
    I used to love them Jumbo cool pops for 50p in there they always done the trick;)

10 out of 10 there Paddy;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

Im sure someone here has posted a tracklist for this mix on this few weeks ago cant find exactly what page though, some of the tracks on the mix where

visions of shiva - perfect day
    nikolai - ready to flow
    la romera - tormenda

can anyone post up the tracklist in full :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Im sure someone here has posted a tracklist for this mix on this few weeks ago cant find exactly what page though, some of the tracks on the mix where

visions of shiva - perfect day
    nikolai - ready to flow
    la romera - tormenda

can anyone post up the tracklist in full :D

I know ace put up wanted,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72694561&postcount=14806

i'll have to look for the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

greenheart wrote: »

Here is the link which Dilly the salmon of knowledge himself will reply

http://asylumdublin.com/#/contact/4550813547

I think that place is a brilliant venue, where else will you get that many different rooms in the one spot and the layout is excellent.
    Funny cause I used to work in the Vaults doing maintenence on their automated heating and ventillation systems, maybe it needs looking at:D
    Two of the Vaults were literally dripping from the ceiling but Vault 3 and the VIP sections were good chill out spots

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slim

Dont Forget Folks You Can Check Me Out Tonite From 8.30 -12 On www.techradio.org Reliving Some Of The Tunage That Was Played At Last Weeks Asylum Reunion, Talk To Yaz then....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

DEVOTION wrote: »
    Nah, haven't been blonde since I was a kid! There might well have been pictures of me from various gigs up there though. We'll make sure to say hello at the next gig we both end up at though.

Ah rite must have been somebody else then in the picture that i'm on about.Yeah defo make sure to say hello next time around.
    SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Next time Sep 3rd I'll be on hols with family. So maybe Mr. Dilly can push it back a week, for me of course:D:D

PS: I'm serious

Ah yeah i know your on hols i meant next time were both present at the same event.:D

locked 1 wrote: »
    Lads any1 got Pressure RELOAD lookin 4 this tape ages

Na Mark

Have ya got any of the ones Listed

 Psychlone Zone live at the Ormond Multimedia Centre 15/07/94 featuring JX and N-Trance
     Psychlone Zone live at Metroland Waterford 16/09/94
     Airborn
     Rapture

 Good Vibrations
     Nostrum for the Masses Part 1
     Nostrum for the Masses Part 2
     Nostrum for the Masses Part 3

 Industrial Standard
     Icon
     Contact
     Directional Force
     Reload

 Vega

 Inta Warriors
     Dub Mix
     Spirits from an Urban Jungle
     Dreams
     Parameters

 Rip It Up
     Variable Frequency Controller
     Firewalker
     Presence
     Showdown

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

Some new style dnb flava's live n direct from Sheffields finest ..... DJ Mat Dipla

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/livevideostreaming

:D

• Advertisement

killer studio mix this (so no mc, yay!!! :D) anyway, its in 3 parts on yt and that kinda done me head in, so went lookin for the mp3 and found it for any1 that may want it :)

http://uploaded.to/file/l595oi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement