Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

locked 1 wrote: »
    Asa ive a bag of tapes upstairs with no names on them mate and a few with names Urban jungle isnt a bad tape ill get around 2 U/L durin the week im off 4 a few days ill rip a few and put them up see if u can name them pressure draems is **** mixin is dirt think i still ahve somewer me ma woulkd do better mixin :)

Hurry up so :D
    DUB33 wrote: »
    yea it wud b about the last time i seen him 9 yrs ago i met him on a bus he was going 2 work he was doing tilling at the time & yea that wud b special if we cud get as many as the old crowd togeather,you shud try an get the girls from bray & any 1 else we use 2 hav the buzz wit as im reall looking forward 2 the shaft reunion ass the 1 i went 2 in 2006 was 1 of the best old skool nites iv had in yrs & was much better than the asylum reunion 2 weeks ago i was just glad i didnt hav any expectations for hearing some real asylum classics apart fom warren was his usuaall brilliant an computer was good so was pat hyland playing a real old 1990-93 house set wit a bit of slam positive educatio thrown in

Sound Mark look forward to those

Ace i hav reload,showdown nite,industrial standard and a few other pressure mix's that havnt been U/l as well as a Warren K from the asylum that hasnt been U/l & a few others i just hav 2 get the tape deck back off winnie/slim he has a brilliant dilly mix from the asylum that hasnt been U/L yet he has 2 rip it so il try an get the deck back & rip all the mix's i hav that havnt been U/L yet as iv a few others as well :D
    locked 1 wrote: »
    hurry up mark :)

Hurry up the both of yez.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

Eventually got me mits on a copy of this 12" (thank you Anto Hill) and swiftly ripped it again. The last time I ripped it I made a bollix of it because I recorded it in too loud - I was using the headphone socket on my amp into the Line-in on my sound card. This time I used one of the master Line outs off a mixer into my external sound card's Line-in and it sounds much better.

Here's the old one I did ages ago, too bassie :(

MB Feel the Heat - Club Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5bMvpZv9k

And here's the new one. Lower volume but better quality once you up the volume. If anyone knows a better way of doing it then I'm all ears... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiuYgoqsoeI

And also the remix (which is superior to the original imko) of 'You don't get stop'. Two Sides and G1 classics from yesteryear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cIh9jP6mc

JCarey70 wrote: »
    Eventually got me mits on a copy of this 12" (thank you Anto Hill) and swiftly ripped it again. The last time I ripped it I made a bollix of it because I recorded it in too loud - I was using the headphone socket on my amp into the Line-in on my sound card. This time I used one of the master Line outs off a mixer into my external sound card's Line-in and it sounds much better.

Here's the old one I did ages ago, too bassie :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5bMvpZv9k

And here's the new one. Lower volume but better quality once you up the volume. If anyone knows a better way of doing it then I'm all ears... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiuYgoqsoeI

And also the remix (which is superior to the original imko) of 'You don't get stop'. Two Sides and G1 classics from yesteryear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cIh9jP6mc

Nice 1 Jay cheers for the tunes

Also i'm trying to figure out a way of ripping an Ed Case tape that i have.It's been a good few years since i've ripped any tapes and the equipment i have now is different to the equipment i used previously.

I had a similar set-up to the way you ripped your vinyl.(I used one of the master Line outs off a mixer into my external sound card's Line-in and used the out-put on the stero i had at the into the line 1 r 2 ''i think '' on my mixer)The only thing is now when i try it it records all the sounds in the room:eek:And yes i also adjusted the volume controls on my pc.

Any suggestions.

Cheers Ace

aceberg wrote: »
    Nice 1 Jay cheers for the tunes

Also i'm trying to figure out a way of ripping an Ed Case tape that i have.It's been a good few years since i've ripped any tapes and the equipment i have now is different to the i used previously.

I had a similar set-up to the way you ripped your vinyl.(I used one of the master Line outs off a mixer into my external sound card's Line-in and used the out-put on the stero i had at the into the line 1 r 2 ''i think '' on my mixer)The only thing is now when i try it it records all the sounds in the room:eek:And yes i also adjusted the volume controls on my pc.

Any suggestions.

Cheers Ace

Alright Ace.

Just plug the Line- outs on your tape deck into one of the spare (if you have one) Line-in channels (not the phono ins) on your mixer then plug one of the Line-outs on your mixer into the Line-in on your external sound card. Make sure the recording level isn't too high - midway is usually the optimal - and off you go. This should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

greenheart wrote: »
    Anyone know if the confirmation number or printed email will do for half price tickets for the next gig, there is five of us so save us €50, worth a try.
    Had a great night sat, much older crowd, no little muppets standing there posing with a bottle of bud "hate that" everyone was on the same buzz having a good one.
    Defo think they should change venue tho, too much of a sweat box.
    I'd say they were raging about the amount of money they lost on water, all they had was sparkling when i went up and everyone was asking for tap water!!!

Ah man can't believe you said that. Sweat boxes all the way! FFS what would you have done in Sides or OMMC where the sweat used to rise and drip off the ceiling? I ruined one of my best tops first time in Sides from leaning against a wall and getting covered in paint (I think it was paint anywho :) ).

Anywho great to have a laptop and net access at home again (was having Asylum thread withdrawals haha). This no working lark is great at the moment as feels like I on a holiday. I hope in a month or 2 I'll get meself a job again!

• Advertisement

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Ah fair play Ace, yeah all in good time;):)

Just remebered was talkin to our very own Senan last week too.......

My next little outing, any of youse lads going to 2 Many DJ's & Felix the House Moggy ?

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/2-Many-DJs-Felix-Da-Housecat-for-Marlay-Park/66730.htm

Nah man sorrry would finish too early. Anyone interested in attending Luke Slater in TP on 23rd? I bought 2 tickets the other day, one for my nephew but we've now fallen out and he aint speaking to me (and given I'm in the right he can f**k right off so I won't be making peace with him) so free ticket there if anyone wants to take it off my hands.
    This would be animal banging techno event. Should also have a Q of Molly (I believe it called). So a free night of madoutofit banging techno if anyone wants it :) Well maybe not free molly but you get my drift.

es-cee wrote: »
    any1 got a cocaine problem???? :D:D:D

Been on it every day since last Thu....would that constitute a problem???
    Better watch the vid hahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

SteoL wrote: »
    Nah man sorrry would finish too early. Anyone interested in attending Luke Slater in TP on 23rd? I bought 2 tickets the other day, one for my nephew but we've now fallen out and he aint speaking to me (and given I'm in the right he can f**k right off so I won't be making peace with him) so free ticket there if anyone wants to take it off my hands.
    This would be animal banging techno event. Should also have a Q of Molly (I believe it called). So a free night of madoutofit banging techno if anyone wants it :) Well maybe not free molly but you get my drift.

I nominate Es Cee :D he'll probably be on a techno tip that week lol and he's top man to have as a 'wingman' on a buzzin night out as you'll know by now from June 25th! .......and a thouroughly nice bloke!

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I nominate Es Cee :D he'll probably be on a techno tip that week lol and he's top man to have as a 'wingman' on a buzzin night out as you'll know by now from June 25th! .......and a thouroughly nice bloke!

Yeah he's a sound man alright (spent the best part of 19 hours with him if you include back at his mates gaf and then The Players Lounge) EarlERizer but he hates the techno unfortunately. Anywho the offers there if someone wants it. Who knows maybe the "Molly" will presuad Es-Cee (Go on go on go on go on GO ON - ES-CEE)

To think back in the day I used to go to the OMMC and Sides by myself but wouldn't really have the balls to do it now. I missed the old Skool CJ Bolland mix for the same fookin reason - the nephew not talking to me. No f****n way am I missing this one after the last time I saw LS DJ'ing (belter of a night buy I had done party pills from a headshop and the only thing they seemed to do was add lead weights to my feet so couldn't move).

I'm sure I'll get a taker either here or the solid techno thread. Maybe Francois does't have a ticket yet.

Yeah he's a sound man alright (spent the best part of 19 hours with him if you include back at his mates gaf and then The Players Lounge) EarlERizer but he hates the techno unfortunately. Anywho the offers there if someone wants it. Who knows maybe the "Molly" will presuad Es-Cee (Go on go on go on go on GO ON - ES-CEE)

To think back in the day I used to go to the OMMC and Sides by myself but wouldn't really have the balls to do it now. I missed the old Skool CJ Bolland mix for the same fookin reason - the nephew not talking to me. No f****n way am I missing this one after the last time I saw LS DJ'ing (belter of a night buy I had done party pills from a headshop and the only thing they seemed to do was add lead weights to my feet so couldn't move).

I'm sure I'll get a taker either here or the solid techno thread. Maybe Francois does't have a ticket yet.

lol yep sounds like our Es alright,fookin duracell bunny hasnt a patch on him! ....... the marathon man! Dont mind him,he'll be loving techno if the wind changes lol he goes through genres of music every other week ,he's a 'genre junkie' :D meeeehhhhhh nowarrimean bud

Sure you'll get someone no doubt...........and your nephew will be sick as a parrot so thats a bonus for ya lol

whatever the outcome,have a belter of a night! lol worse case,go alone,worst thing will be people might think your 'mysterious' lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

doubt i'd have the funds that week lads, still in a bit of debt for another few weeks unfortunately. i like all genres of dance music steo from acid & chicago house to detroit techno and european hard trance, do go thru phases but i'm a staunch dnb head, thats the only constant as regards music.
    sounds like it should be a bangin night alright, and the "molly" should serve ya well ;) bet its killin ya lookin at it there and not havin a dip :p:D

lol yep sounds like our Es alright,fookin duracell bunny hasnt a patch on him! ....... the marathon man! Dont mind him,he'll be loving techno if the wind changes lol he goes through genres of music every other week ,he's a 'genre junkie' :D meeeehhhhhh nowarrimean bud

Sure you'll get someone no doubt...........and your nephew will be sick as a parrot so thats a bonus for ya lol

whatever the outcome,have a belter of a night! lol worse case,go alone,worst thing will be people might think your 'mysterious' lol

Sound man, yeah hopefully the free ticket (amongst other things) might entice him. HAHA. Hopefully so.

Sure people think I'm "mysterious" already (strange probably more apt expression haha - personally I prefer to call myself "unique).

Anyway will check back tomorrow to see if anyone interested. Hope me nephew reads this (I know he reads boards but doesn't post) as well so he knows he aint fookin going.
    Gonna switch off now, do a few more lines and play LA Noir on me PS3.

Talk later gents.

Looking to flog something music related or chasing anything for purchase?

I've kick started a buy & sell type thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056319696

doubt i'd have the funds that week lads, still in a bit of debt for another few weeks unfortunately. i like all genres of dance music steo from acid & chicago house to detroit techno and european hard trance, do go thru phases but i'm a staunch dnb head, thats the only constant as regards music.
    sounds like it should be a bangin night alright, and the "molly" should serve ya well ;) bet its killin ya lookin at it there and not havin a dip :p:D

Don't have it yet man but have plenty of "C" which I need to stop doing as it's bedtime now. Have 2 more lines laid out and will play this game for bit more then have to head bed.

Anywho you have PM re the night, so get back to me haha :D

Alright Ace.

Just plug the Line- outs on your tape deck into one of the spare (if you have one) Line-in channels (not the phono ins) on your mixer then plug one of the Line-outs on your mixer into the Line-in on your external sound card. Make sure the recording level isn't too high - midway is usually the optimal - and off you go. This should work.

Thats exactly the way i tried it Jay but it still picks up the sounds from the room.I'll give it another go later if i get a chance.

Thats exactly the way i tried it Jay but it still picks up the sounds from the room.I'll give it another go later if i get a chance.

Sounds like you have an integrated mic turned on on the tape deck that's picking up sound from the room and passing out though the Line-out. Try covering it with insulating tape or something and see does it make any difference. What make and model is the tape deck?

Would this nephew be ******

Would indeen man. Was my best mate (more like a brother than a nephew) and I feel awful terrible over what happened. I'm in the right though and a stubborn f****r so won't back down.

i know we had a little debate about boxin the other day, but just seen this and thought it was rather amusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

didnt see the fight or any highlights so far, but his toe does look pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Had to give 2 tickets away myself for Orbital in Tripod last year, couldnt make it as something happened at lastminute.com :mad:
    Anyway the trouble I went to just to give them away for free, some people, eh. Yeah it will fiinsh early in the park but thats what house parties are for;):pac:

• Advertisement

Just in from work, settled down n stuck the gogglebox on just for channel surfing relaxation purposes and happened upon Sky Arts channel .....

The Specials in concert
    :cool::cool::cool: deadly!! nice bit of Ska to unwind to......and they still sound as good today as they did waaaaaay back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Sorry,i know it wouldnt be everyones cuppa but I always loved the Ska era, it evokes fond memories of my early childhood growing up in the flats of the 'mun when Summer ment sunshine for weeks on end.

:D 2 Tone bizznezz!! BO!

Just in from work, settled down n stuck the gogglebox on just for channel surfing relaxation purposes and happened upon Sky Arts channel .....

The Specials in concert
    :cool::cool::cool: deadly!! nice bit of Ska to unwind to......and they still sound as good today as they did waaaaaay back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Sorry,i know it wouldnt be everyones cuppa but I always loved the Ska era, it evokes fond memories of my early childhood growing up in the flats of the 'mun when Summer ment sunshine for weeks on end.

sun in the mun :D

like a bit of ska myself, altho i would be limited to madness and a couple others, but a mate of mine (who is 3 years younger i might ad) is mad into ska, and any type of tunage really, don't think there's a "genre" :p he's not into :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Specials in concert

What a band!!!!! Stumbled across this programme meself at 10pm last night. Great gig alright. Can't beat a bit of ska. Did you manage to catch them on their reunion tour yourself mate? Saw them in New York last year, fcukin great show. Had to laugh though, there were a couple of yanks standing beside me and they kept asking me to stop bumpin into them!!! How are you not supposed to jump around at a Specials gig???? They were supposed to come back and play a free gig in Central Park in the summer but had to cancel over visa issues. Shame:( Would've been classic, the Specials live on a Summer's afternoon.
    That Sky Arts Channel is deadly though. Does be some great concerts and documentaries on it.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    What a band!!!!! Stumbled across this programme meself at 10pm last night. Great gig alright. Can't beat a bit of ska. Did you manage to catch them on their reunion tour yourself mate? Saw them in New York last year, fcukin great show. Had to laugh though, there were a couple of yanks standing beside me and they kept asking me to stop bumpin into them!!! How are you not supposed to jump around at a Specials gig???? They were supposed to come back and play a free gig in Central Park in the summer but had to cancel over visa issues. Shame:( Would've been classic, the Specials live on a Summer's afternoon.
    That Sky Arts Channel is deadly though. Does be some great concerts and documentaries on it.

Was brought up on Ska/Reggae/Two Tone. Caught the Specials in 2009 when they played the Olympia. I UL'd all the vids I got of the night.

Here's one of them: Yes that's me singing me singing in the background ha :D

The Specials Live at the Olympia Theater November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB66jTtSxdU

More here. Just scroll down :)

Was brought up on Ska/Reggae/Two Tone. Caught the Specials in 2009 when they played the Olympia. I UL'd all the vids I got of the night.

what a voice ;)

looks like it was a brilliant night, only been to the olympia once myself to see catch a fire in 2001ish i think, was only 19 or so at the time.

sun in the mun :D
    like a bit of ska myself, altho i would be limited to madness and a couple others, but a mate of mine (who is 3 years younger i might ad) is mad into ska, and any type of tunage really, don't think there's a "genre" :p he's not into :rolleyes:

Best Summer's I ever had as a kid where the ones when i lived in the 'mun, lived in Coultry Rd (number 315),used to 'play' outside on the football field between the flats n the school....or hang about with the older kids on the steps lol,
    at the time the teenagers where all into Ska n punk,there was always music been played out of one flat or other so you could sit on the steps all day in the sun listening to the music while the older kids (I'd have been between the ages of 7-9 , the older ones in their mid teens i guess) just hung about talking n playing footie or trying to impress the girls.
    I always was impressed by the clothes n hair do's,girls with 'semi' skinheads n the lads all shaved heads n sideburns lol but the clobber was the bizz, all black! Harrington jackets (Black but a few had red ones),white T's,black 'Ories' combats & loafers (with towely white sox lol) shades n those cheap trilbies from butlins with the catchphrase torn off....the punks/skins woulda been all skintight bleached jeans n green or black bomber jackets n Doc's up to their knees! Class :cool:
    Never forget me first 'outfit' Easter 81 - Black Harrington Jacket (me ma stitched patches all over it for me soon after - all 2Tone),White Tshirt,Black Ories and the fooking coolest OxBlood Doc sole loafers I ever owned......and the obligitry towelly white sox :o .... I had to wait for the summer trip to butlins before i got a hat lol but the older ones would let me wear theirs.....
    I loved that about me Ma n Da,they were real into the music of the day so they got the whole 'wanting to be like the older kids' buzz I was on,and they knew them all,it was cool back then,guess i was treated as a novelty with the older ones as they'd ask me Ma if I could 'go the centre' with them (old Ballymun shopping centre - through the underpass) ....used to think i was the dogs liathroidi lol ....

was gutted when we moved out to the wilderness of Tallaght the following year......me Da bought me Adam & the Ants tapes as a consolation lol poor Ska got left back in the 'mun :rolleyes: ..... still,was only a few years to go before I had my next 'clique' and Breakdance hit our shores .

lol fookin gas when ya look back over the years n remember the 'tree' of your music tastes lol am me calling peeps 'Genre Junkies' :o

I went from
    79-82 Ska (Specials,Madness,Bad Manners) and some Punk (thanks Da lol)
    82-83 Adam & the Ants :o
    83-88 Breakdance & Hip Hop (proper oldskool hip hop lol)
    *88-90 The Cure,Guns n Roses,Iron Maiden,The Smiths :o:o:o
    90-2011 Indie,Rave,Hardcore,Jungle,DnB etc etc interspersed with anything I thought sounded good.

*I blame the 88-90 period on my raging hormonal teenage angst! :D , and not forgetting over the years from mid 80's to present day, the natural as air love of UB40,Bob Marley and co.....suppose to summarize it ... I was skooled in the other 3 R's .... Rap, Rave & Reggae

While I dont listen to it these days,the music & the Ska era has very fond memories for me :o

so, what about any of the rest of yiz? what was your music journey tru life so far?

what a voice ;)

looks like it was a brilliant night, only been to the olympia once myself to see catch a fire in 2001ish i think, was only 19 or so at the time.

Savage, I was there m8 lol sure it was about 2000/2001 alright, was a fookin deadly gig,we were all zonked on the way in on the bus and I took a whitey in the Q lol that fookin place was a sweatbox too and the poxy musky stink of the gaff lol but was a buzz hearing 'Bob' live.:pac:

Billy Mays wrote: »

I know, seen it (the channel) a few times, they did a great doc about the emergence of acid house in the UK a few months back, then there was one about Warp records & the whole Sheffield music influence,they were deadly too.The had Bob Marley 'Live' concert back in May (his 30th anniversary)
    As for the Specials in 09 , nah I didn't m8 , woulda loved to have seen that gig.I didnt even know they were touring :( .... thats the trouble with never been in or near town lol I miss all the posters all over the hoardings.

lol gotta 'love' the grand ol U.S. of A folk lol "Heeey,comeon dude,can ya stop bumping me man,sh!t,quit it already" .... how they enjoy themselves is beyond me,they never seem to be able to let go or drop their guard and just 'have the craic' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Funnily enough Jay,2 people sprang to mind when I happened upon the concert,one was my cousin (she was the coolest 'older' girl i ever knew) - she was a Skin bitd, punk,Ska,reggae .... a real rebelious streak in her,skinhead,piercings lol (loved her to bits)

the other was,your good self, just from knowing ya were into the reggae scene and your own youth as a 'Skin' ;) .....don't worry I wont tell anyone! lol ....nah, I remember your vids from your 'photo' collection of your youth,the sounds (punk n Ska) ...they still on your YT Channel?

And just on that ..... who the fook is this??? :eek: lol

You not got the copyright on the tag "DJ Jay Carey" ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement