Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Butter ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

joker77 wrote: »
    Butter ads?

Bills have to be paid and you gotta do what yo gotta do :D

EDIT:

John Lydon Defends Butter Ad, Says It Paid for Public Image Limited Reunion

up-1lydon.jpg

By Josiah Hughes
    In late 2008, we joined the rest of the world in making fun of Sex Pistols front-man Johnny Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) for the embarrassing, lowest-common-denominator butter ads that were circulating in the UK. Now, nearly a full year later, Lydon has finally made a statement about the commercials.

Speaking with the Camden New Journal, the singer explained that the funds from the commercial were necessary to fuel the aforementioned reunion of his post-punk group, Public Image Limited.

"The money I got from that advert is the advance on this [the PiL tour]. We live on a lucky end of a shoestring here until the first gig money comes in," Lydon explained, adding, "Why are they questioning me? What manual am I supposed to adopt? I'm promoting a British product, which I'm very proud of. Anything I can do to help British industry is fine by me and in return you've got PiL."

PiL's reunion shows, which are currently only booked in the UK, kick off in mid-December.

http://exclaim.ca/News/john_lydon_defends_butter_ad_says_it_paid_for_public_image_limited_reunion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

EarlERizer wrote: »
    ....the punks/skins woulda been all skintight bleached jeans n green or black bomber jackets n Doc's up to their knees! ?

Ye, my bro and his mates all went round in bleached jeans alright, big into Madness, Style council, SLF, Pistols & loads more.
    sex pistols were good, well some good tunes, but the blokes a mouthpeice and an idiot.who gives a fook

Ah here, what interviews are you basing that opinion on? Maybe his time on im a celebrity only?

You should have a gander at this,

The Filth & The Fury,

Filthandthefury.jpg

I know me & G had a bit of a ding dong a while back about malcolm mcClaren after he passed on regarding his role with the pistols, John Lydon certainly pulls no punches in this doc about his influence over the band & sid in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sgtbilko01

es-cee wrote: »
    i suppose the earliest track i can remember taking a shine to as a kid was 'europe - the final countdown' (i know, i know lol)

This was my first vinyl purchace;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

sgtbilko01 wrote: »
    This was my first vinyl purchace;)

thank god i'm not alone :D:D:D

• Advertisement

thank god i'm not alone :D:D:D

The fact that your not alone makes it worse:D:pac:

The fact that your not alone makes it worse:D:pac:

not for me lol, it was a popular tune at the time tho, kinda commercial metal.

not for me lol, it was a popular tune at the time tho, kinda commercial metal.

Im sur to any metal heads thats like saying,

Underground deadmu5e (or what ever wanky way its written)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fitze

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads another blast from the past
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHOTT-GREEN-CWU-R-FLIGHT-JACKET-LARGE-A1-CON-/170654250448?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item27bbc935d0

what i wouldn't give to have my aul Schott flight jacket back (accompanied by Fila Trailblazers) from 1994 to 1998 in Dublin these jackets were platinum as im sure many of you remember, it got to the stage they were so popular that cun*s were buying cheap imitations and going around robbing the Schott badge from peoples jackets (they could be easily pulled off) so i got mine sewn on:D you used to see loads of lads going around with Schott jackets minus the badge and you'd see other cun*s with cheap jackets with the Schott badge sewn on:rolleyes::D

Jaysus remember that jacket of yours well mate:)

Im sur to any metal heads thats like saying,

Underground deadmu5e (or what ever wanky way its written)

ah but theres a hugh difference between 'europe' and the likes of 'slayer' for instance who are about as underground on the metal scene as ya can get for a band that actually makes music vids (now and then :D). i believe the term for bands like 'europe' was 'hair metal' meaning it was all big hair and make-up and high heel shoes believe it or not, with the main market being the charts. bands like slayer, metallica (metallica only in the 80's, they sold out in '91 with the black album) were never gettin air time on the radio because their music was very aggressive and not commercially acceptable.

• Advertisement

and yes, Deadmau5 sucks!!!!!

should really be in the metal thread but just showing the difference between commercial and underground as reganrds rock/metal ;)

commercial

underground

both "oldskool" tracks from the mid 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

jonny rotten just comes accross a know all.the talk about the buildings and wat it was like growing up,how old is he? 50 odd? swear he was 80.something your grand dad would say"back in my day" loves the sound of his own voice.hes funny tho,and if you go back through the yrs of interviews.reporters.journalists specifically ask him questions to try wind him up.to get him on a rant,i like em, hes entertaining..same as bono really..just coz they in a band,they talk politics and bollox,and they think every1 shud listen.great band

jonny rotten just comes accross a know all.the talk about the buildings and wat it was like growing up,how old is he? 50 odd? swear he was 80.something your grand dad would say"back in my day" loves the sound of his own voice.hes funny tho,and if you go back through the yrs of interviews.reporters.journalists specifically ask him questions to try wind him up.to get him on a rant,i like em, hes entertaining..same as bono really..just coz they in a band,they talk politics and bollox,and they think every1 shud listen.great band

:eek: bono is the biggest douche bag on the planet tho in fairness, lets not put JR down by mentioning their two names in the same conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

My choice of dancing shoes were Puma all the way, feckin loved my pair of Navy Pumas which I had I'd say around 1994 or so... great for boppin away and feet not getting too hot :pac:

Puma.jpg

Then of course the Schott... I wonder what ever became of mine :(

Schott.jpg

Does anybody remember the X-Work or Eclipse Jeans? Hairy leg Specials,:D:D:D

p10102392gbth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/www-techradio-org

ken brady live till 9 playin 91-92 set

winnie dillon aka SLIM 9-12 playin 80,s early 90,s house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Ya bollix, i'm after spluttering coffee all over the table here :mad: ...... AND like the journos I think your trying to provoke a reaction ;) , so I'll duly oblige :D

Bono is a wanker, a self serving one at that, I can't stand the little short ar$ed twat,i wish he'd go fook off to some far flung planet and try save the galaxy.....he grabbed Bob Geldof n Midge Ures coat tails and try to become the messiah of a generation...so much so Larry Mullen's threatened to slap the head off him coz even he was pi$$ed off with the little p.rick! he boils my pi$$, I cant stand the greedy money drenched p.rick 'appealing' to Joe Public to dig deep and save the world....dirty little tax dodging knob!.

*and breath*

John Lydon dares you to ask the questions you want to ask him BUT then shut the fook up and let him give his answer...his answer!

Bono isn't fit to kiss Lydons ar$e ......

ok, ok ......i'm off to eat my food.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

locked 1 wrote: »
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/www-techradio-org

ken brady live till 9 playin 91-92 set

winnie dillon aka SLIM 9-12 playin 80,s early 90,s house

NICE ONE!

Es Cee, ya there man? whats the craic with oos?? :confused:

Es Cee, ya there man? whats the craic with oos?? :confused:

i'm on there now, whats up?

Have to say, been disappointed with this site http://asylumdublin.com/#/latest-news/4552509328 :( seems they've lost interest in it since June 26th ..... I'd have thought the place would have been buzzing with tales of the reunion & allsorts of other stuff.

There's still no update on the next gig in Sept,the forum area is bleakly empty which is a shame,seems it's just not been promoted to it's potential....a good addition would be 'Asylum Radio' where peeps could look for slots to play a few tunes live n direct (or maybe even get some 'names' signed up to play the odd set)

There's the potential to do a live stream via 'ustream' or the like on the night of the next gig.

:(

i'm on there now, whats up?

click here and tell me what ya get......

all i'm getting is this .....
    a4c421d637f81f59fe1f6f799c22ae786g.jpg

Have to say, been disappointed with this site http://asylumdublin.com/#/latest-news/4552509328 :( seems they've lost interest in it since June 26th ..... I'd have thought the place would have been buzzing with tales of the reunion & allsorts of other stuff.

There's still no update on the next gig in Sept,the forum area is bleakly empty which is a shame,seems it's just not been promoted to it's potential....a good addition would be 'Asylum Radio' where peeps could look for slots to play a few tunes live n direct (or maybe even get some 'names' signed up to play the odd set)

There's the potential to do a live stream via 'ustream' or the like on the night of the next gig.

:(

ustream is **** man, would be better off settin up a proper jobbie if it was to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement