Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

jonnny68 wrote: »
    deadly link jaysus i just remembered the furnace who went to this cracking club used to be at the back of the old students union just off the quays behind the old virgin megastore, i had some great nights there during the mid 90's:)

https://picasaweb.google.com/dublinclubflyers/Furnace#5086069273727317474

Love this one....the sentiment in the quotes! classic :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/dublinclubflyers/UFOAlien#5085323190663360562

UFO%252520006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

so many memories, so many amazing nights, so many amazing lost years, would bring a tear to a glass eye looking through those flyers:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Deadly collection of flyers there alright. Had many of them up on me wall a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Wicked footage. Spotted this belter on the second video. One of the first 12" I ever bought and still one of me favourites.

Two crackin mixes from Leftfield on the B side aswell. Brucie bonus!!!!

Yeah some deadly tunes from then! ahh the memories :
    here is a few more from the vids.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

another decent remix of indie appolonia taken from a pressure tape

http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/26389458/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

They are the ****ing business Paddy.The music is ****ing great not what i expected at all for Dublin at the time.Real underground fell to it not like the commercial stuff i would have knowm from that time.The video with the 2 blokes holding the light :pac::pac: unreal.I love it.Makes ya want to go out and chomp.:pac::pac::pac:

aceberg wrote: »
    They are the ****ing business Paddy.The music is ****ing great not what i expected at all for Dublin at the time.Real underground fell to it not like the commercial stuff i would have knowm from that time.The video with the 2 blokes holding the light :pac::pac: unreal.I love it.Makes ya want to go out and chomp.:pac::pac::pac:

That's the thing Ace, a lot of peeps think that 91,92 was full of commercial music in Dublin, the Mansion house was hardcore most of the time with DJ Bass and of course Mick Walsh and warren K. i know Altern8 played and 2 Unlimited, shades of rhythm and others played but when the "main act" was over the music got better :) I suppose you could say the Olympic was a tad commercial when you compare it to the Mansion house. I can't wait to here the original sound from the Master tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I don't wanna out a dampner on things lads but mother of jaysus Jeremy Healy :eek: talk about cheese even back in the day the brand of house he played was even too cheesy for my liking, he was a raging coke addict too but we wont hold that against him :D he was big back in the day but to market him as is mind boggling to say the least, i was expecting someone like Jon The Dentist or some Techno/Hard Trance DJ not a cheesy House DJ from the mid 90's,this is coming from someone who's first love is House too.

Mind boggling choice but each to their own!!:pac:

Yep, i would have had him down as a cheesy ibiza DJ meself.
    :eek:No Jay Carey, No Pat Hyland, No Warren K \ and Mick Walsh is away ?
    hmmm think i'll give this one a miss lads? . Jeremy Healy ffs. vote with your feet on this one people!:)

Doubt very much i will go to this.
    es-cee wrote: »
    dj pressure plays one tune mixes the next in without any trick mixin what so ever, coxy uses 3 decks and mixes it up. i have loads of cox mixes and i can tell when i'm listenin to one of his sets even if theres no mc crappin on about "carl cox in the mix" sh1t. same as with eddie halliwell or any of the good big names, they would mop the floor with pressure. maybe some of the big names out there got were they are by who they know, but cox was one of the 1st dance djs ever and got were he is purely by his tallent and nothin else.

Ahh, but first hand in the ASYLUM i, and i think everybody, remembers his mixing was absolutley seamless, you really couldnt pin point where he was dropping a tune out & brining one in, really made so many nights amazing in there.

Thats not detracting from carl Cox at all, but pressure was 100% also.
    jaysus that asylum carl cox flyer is amazing is there a bigger scan available?

I'm seeking sanctuary in my old skool hideouts for the rest of the day, im only after watching Inspector Morse the Rave episode, usually i wouldn't be into a programme like that but i remember watching this programme in 1992 and there it was on again today, i only found out that the rave scene in it was actually filmed at a real rave a friend on facebook told me i was wondering how it was so good and realistic, SOOOOOOOO after looking at that ive yet again gone into old skool mode and am again stuck in the early 90's until i fall asleep:D

Time machine and real ecstasy required please :o:o:D:D:D:D:D

This ones a little bigger i think,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58660/35999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

I don't think people are getting what the Asylum relaunch is about. They're relaunching the brand. Not just looking to put on a few old skool nights. Back in the day, the Asylum played the music of its time so it seems like they're going to be playing the music of the time now too. They've said they won't forget the old skool Asylum stuff but you can't expect them to just focus on that if they want to be successful. Seems to me like they have plans.

The Jeremy Healy thing is obviously gonna split people but I bet you he's a success on the night. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Jeremy Healy is a cock

DEVOTION wrote: »
    I don't think people are getting what the Asylum relaunch is about. They're relaunching the brand. Not just looking to put on a few old skool nights. Back in the day, the Asylum played the music of its time so it seems like they're going to be playing the music of the time now too. They've said they won't forget the old skool Asylum stuff but you can't expect them to just focus on that if they want to be successful. Seems to me like they have plans.

;)

I have to say that entire post is probably the most influential factor of everything around this 'ASYLUM Brand' launch that will turn me away from it for sure,

I dont think the people running this have quite grasped what the potential audience were after, and if they did they might make it stand apart from anything else in dublin, if they tried to emulate the ASYLUM as much as possible with the tunes, DJ's, Imagery etc etc they would hit the nail on the head.

if they are trying to create a 21st century ASYLUM brand with new influences, new music, new DJ's, new imagery, new feeling........then fair play to them but it wont catch me ever or any of the other ASYLUM devout.

The reason it has endured as long as it has is because people remeber the ASYLUM, Sackville place, 1994........anything else is going to blow in & blow out as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Spot on key-even the term "asylum brand" sounds wrong!

francois wrote: »
    Jeremy Healy is a cock

:D

I think the organizers should drop the "Asylum brand".Maybe if they had some other Irish DJ headlining it i would have a bit more respect for it.
    I mean Jeremy Healy? ffs.. is he suppose to make us all rush to Ticket master?

Maybe it's just me but this particular night does not appeal to me.I will hold of till the next one.:)

They said themselves it was a relaunch of the "brand". Not my words lads. Fact is though, that term is used in the dance-music world a lot these days. It wasn't around back in the day but it sure is now.

And the Asylum hasn't "endured". It has been closed for longer than it was ever open. The memories are what has endured. These guys are obviously trying to make it successful in the modern world. Not 1994's world. They're not going to fill clubnights regularly with the people who used to go. I can see why the original Asylum-goers are pissed off all the same.

DEVOTION wrote: »
    They said themselves it was a relaunch of the "brand". Not my words lads. Fact is though, that term is used in the dance-music world a lot these days. It wasn't around back in the day but it sure is now.

And the Asylum hasn't "endured". It has been closed for longer than it was ever open. The memories are what has endured. These guys are obviously trying to make it successful in the modern world. Not 1994's world. They're not going to fill clubnights regularly with the people who used to go. I can see why the original Asylum-goers are pissed off all the same.

Once every three months is not regularly, they would get a good attendance of old skoolers if it was put on in the 'spirit' of 1994 & the fact that the name is used in the dance music world a lot these days tells you without a doubt what the people using it want to experience.

To say it hasnt endured beacuse it is closed so long is odd, not just the memories have endured, the music, the people, the photos, the stories have all endured, after all are we not on the ASYLUM thread?

Well look, we aint gonna agree, but i am of the opinion the people running this are waaaaaaay wide of the mark for hitting its potential.

Even the Fantazia club collection series which was for the most part was excellent but jeremy Healy's mix is shocking,he was a massive draw in the mid 90's though he was in demand and played all the big house clubs in England and was in demand in Ibiza and elsewhere,but as ive said healy what was then labelled as "handbag house" the birds loved it and some blokes did too but even as a major House music man myself i couldn't be dealing with it.

An "international guest DJ" wasn't even needed,home grown talent would've been enough to keep the price down, it's good to see Liam Dollard and Dave McDonnell on the line up but where is Warren K, Jay Carey, Francois, Johnny Moy,etc, not every DJ had to actually play in the Asylum but if you were around in the 90's as the above all were that is enough.

I've a feeling this night is gonna suffer, people i know who were definitely going are not now.

it does indeed, jaysus Francois what next the "Waterfront/Colombia Mills brand" :D

Nah seriously it's gone beyond a joke at this stage,you only have to look at the comments from people to tell you what they think.

A rare night out for me next Friday, it's not Old Skool (although there could be a few classics thrown in) but this music is right up my street,free in as well so cant complain,if anyone from here gonna be there let me know.

dubsbhoy who post on here is playing.

Once every three months is not regularly, they would get a good attendance of old skoolers if it was put on in the 'spirit' of 1994 & the fact that the name is used in the dance music world a lot these days tells you without a doubt what the people using it want to experience.

To say it hasnt endured beacuse it is closed so long is odd, not just the memories have endured, the music, the people, the photos, the stories have all endured, after all are we not on the ASYLUM thread?

Well look, we aint gonna agree, but i am of the opinion the people running this are waaaaaaay wide of the mark for hitting its potential.

I was under the impression it was going to be more regular than once every 3 months. If so, I can see why they need to look beyond the same DJs & music every time. If only every 3 months then you're right. I could see old-skool-only working.

We won't argue about the "endured" point. If you feel it has then fair enough. Not gonna try take that away from you.

I guess we don't agree on the potential of what they are doing alright. Based on my experiences of promoting, I think they're on the right track in today's clubbing & promotion environment if they are looking to make this more regular than once every 3 months.

Based on what I'd love to hear at the nights myself, I'd be delighted with the same DJs and music policy from the first night a few weeks ago. :)

• Advertisement

Alright, im not looking to get into a tit for tat, im right & your wrong buzz, but,

If from what i can guage you are saying then this is not about brining the ASYLUM back to the people who were there & new ravers that would like a taste of it, its about getting a successful club night off the ground by using an established successful name from a Rrave of the past that resonates with people & slowly moving it away from that to something entirley different.

Its not even just another old skool night, it another old skool with new skool stuff also night.

Thanks, but no thanks & good luck to them.

I can't answer for them really. Best bet is to go on their Facebook page and ask or else email them.

One thing. Back then, did the Asylum play the best music of the time? If the answer is 'Yes' then why wouldn't they head towards the same policy now? They've said themselves they won't be forgetting their roots at the same time. I'd be heading for the old skool myself. That's my lot on this anyway. It's not my fight and I can see both sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

[HTML][/HTML]

The whole nite-clubs closing at 2:30 am f*cked everything up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

tdv123 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

The whole nite-clubs closing at 2:30 am f*cked everything up anyway.

should be at the very least 4 or 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Fair play Paddy, some lost treasure you dug up there;)
    Going mad I never went there. Done my research at the time and was told by most people that the Olympic Ballroom was a better Rave at the time, should have gone to make up my own mind though. Bet theres loads more hidden footage out there from the old haunts.

Just thinking, looking back on them vids... what the f&*k ever happend to the dance scene today? so mush has changed, the music, venues, people and as someone already mentioned the opening hours. It's a big shame.

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Fair play Paddy, some lost treasure you dug up there;)
    Going mad I never went there. Done my research at the time and was told by most people that the Olympic Ballroom was a better Rave at the time, should have gone to make up my own mind though. Bet theres loads more hidden footage out there from the old haunts.

There are a few more vids on that chaps YT page. :)

Just thinking, looking back on them vids... what the f&*k ever happend to the dance scene today? so mush has changed, the music, venues, people and as someone already mentioned the opening hours. It's a big shame.

the thing thats changed as far as i can see is total snobbery, with techno heads especially (not takin a dig at any1, just what i've observed). techno heads think techno is the be all and end all of dance music, they're so snobby about it they even discriminate every other style of techno thats not their own prefered choice of sub genre. we all have our prefered styles of music, me included, but i do listen to a bit of everything in dance music.
    another thing which i think is a major factor was the introduction of minimal techno, altho i do like it, i wouldn't go to a minimal gig because its just a ket fest. ya wont see people buzzin havin a bop and laugh, thats been replaced with corner groups sittin down in so much of a k hole they can't even lift their heads let alone speak or dance.
    also closing times which has been mentioned a load of times on here, and drugs not bein as good as they were for the most part, apart from the odd batch of pills or mdma that has that nice kick to it.
    also just have to ad on the music end of things while i think of it, theres little of no energy in it, productionwise its far superior to oldskool no question but its lost its raw energy and enjoyability while out in a club or festival. bitd the dance scene here and the rave scene in the uk was all about party tunes that made ya feel happy and apart of something, these days ya have the likes of deadmau5 etc churning out bland over produced tripe.

anyway, thats just my opinion on it, i'm sure not every1 will agree with me, but thats life :)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement