Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

EarlERizer wrote: »
    lol do you have it on Vinyl? whats the 'Soup' track like? never heard either that or the pom pom one (as far as I know lol) but 'Foolproof' is savage!

Nice 1 man

G
    just have it on mp3 well 212,other 1 aint great either, anything is better than pom pom tho,ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

es-cee wrote: »
    think it might be thyme lol, just gonna root it out now and i'll know for sure :)

I actually thought that too, sounds alot like the MC'ing on some of the Asylum sets that where done by Thyme but wasn't there another MC doing the rounds back then too 'Damo'? ........

MC Starry Bud - "I'm bucking ya like a happy spa coooome on,starry bud mental mental chicken oriental oooooi ooooooi ,starry bud all d'way from tallaght ou me fookin mallet coooome on! headin t'heaven on the 77 coooome on,awwwwh yeah"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

I actually thought that too, sounds alot like the MC'ing on some of the Asylum sets that where done by Thyme but wasn't there another MC doing the rounds back then too 'Damo'? ........

MC Starry Bud - "I'm bucking ya like a happy spa coooome on,starry bud mental mental chicken oriental oooooi ooooooi ,starry bud all d'way from tallaght ou me fookin mallet coooome on! headin t'heaven on the 77 coooome on,awwwwh yeah"

there were a few mc's doin the rounds back then as far as i know, mc smiley, dilly, thyme and a few others i can't think of off hand. all sh1t fcukin mc's but great dj's, shoulda just stuck to spinnin instead of tryin to mc lol.
    there was an mc at the asylum gig back in june too, hate mc's, especially irish mc's with a passion!!! at least the uk ones have some back ground in rapping and hip hop, irish ones just shout stupid stuff all over the tunes, head melter :D

any1 got this on vinyl they could rip for me please? diffusion lights is the main track i'm after.http://www.discogs.com/Suspecious-Lovewaves/release/235968

there were a few mc's doin the rounds back then as far as i know, mc smiley, dilly, thyme and a few others i can't think of off hand. all sh1t fcukin mc's but great dj's, shoulda just stuck to spinnin instead of tryin to mc lol.
    there was an mc at the asylum gig back in june too, hate mc's, especially irish mc's with a passion!!! at least the uk ones have some back ground in rapping and hip hop, irish ones just shout stupid stuff all over the tunes, head melter :D

It's well documented round these parts as to my feelings on MC's!

In fairness the lads were deadly DJ's and the whole 'MC'ing thing was just a copycat syndrome of wnating to do it like across the water, I'd be more inclined to think the influence on UK MC's had it's origins in the Reggae / Ska era moreso than the rap/hip hop scene.

Alot of MC's regardless of where they're from shouted sh1t over the tunes and more annoyingly totally at the wrong point (i.e. just as the DJ dropped a tune into the mix), between the bad timing,bad rhyming and bad accents another vital ingredient was missing from many MC's......BASS! a good MC should bring his vocal delivery with bass in his voice,at the right time in a set and with something of a decent line or two.

Any gobsh1te can grab a mic and start yelling out "spillage on aisle 2 cooome on , manager to the deli counter awwwwwwh yeah" :D

• Advertisement

It's well documented round these parts as to my feelings on MC's!

In fairness the lads were deadly DJ's and the whole 'MC'ing thing was just a copycat syndrome of wnating to do it like across the water, I'd be more inclined to think the influence on UK MC's had it's origins in the Reggae / Ska era moreso than the rap/hip hop scene.

Alot of MC's regardless of where they're from shouted sh1t over the tunes and more annoyingly totally at the wrong point (i.e. just as the DJ dropped a tune into the mix), between the bad timing,bad rhyming and bad accents another vital ingredient was missing from many MC's......BASS! a good MC should bring his vocal delivery with bass in his voice,at the right time in a set and with something of a decent line or two.

Any gobsh1te can grab a mic and start yelling out "spillage on aisle 2 cooome on , manager to the deli counter awwwwwwh yeah" :D

GQ is about the best i've heard, also stevie hyper d R.I.P. ........ oh my gosh!!!!!

:D I'm going to contradict meself here......

Whilst not the most gifted in terms of vocab or lyrical content,this guy actually delivers a very well timed MC flow (I think he was called MC Bottles or Baby Bottles) over alongside Carl Cox' set

But I could be hearing it with a nostalgic ear as this was a favourite tape of mine back in the day, I still know all the words lol:o , had recorded it on video then sat n recorded the video onto a tape deck pressing pause - play+record - pause - Play+record to cut out the Hitman n her sh!t & the adds lol ....Oldskool!!

:D I'm going to contradict meself here......

Whilst not the most gifted in terms of vocab or lyrical content,this guy actually delivers a very well timed MC flow (I think he was called MC Bottles or Baby Bottles) over alongside Carl Cox' set

But I could be hearing it with a nostalgic ear as this was a favourite tape of mine back in the day, I still know all the words lol:o , had recorded it on video then sat n recorded the video onto a tape deck pressing pause - play+record - pause - Play+record to cut out the Hitman n her sh!t & the adds lol ....Oldskool!!

cool mix man, but the mc sucks donkey balls for a living :D

GQ is about the best i've heard, also stevie hyper d R.I.P. ........ oh my gosh!!!!!

There is noone to touch GQ ! fookin legend .......

Gotta say though, thats a bad example of Stevie hyper D , it's out of sync with the tunes and cant make out a word he's saying :o I'll have a gander through some of his other stuff "Hyseteria" n that to get a proper feel of his stuff.

Here's what happens when an average MC becomes his own biggest fan .....

The 'legendary' :rolleyes: Skibadee (MC'd for Finn,Grooverider,Phantasy amongst others) - actually check out Phantasy in the vid lol now go back and check him out on that Hitman n Her from Eclipse in Coventry .... not exactly poster boys eh! lol

fair fooks to him (Skibadee) n all that but jeez the kids today listen to some serious sh1te!!!

cool mix man, but the mc sucks donkey balls for a living :D

lol thats a bit rich considering what you've just offered up! :p atleast 'Bottles' is on time with the tunes and coherant !

Whats Stevie Hyper blabbering out? answers on a postcard lol ..... and his timing is rank!

• Advertisement

lol thats a bit rich considering what you've just offered up! :p atleast 'Bottles' is on time with the tunes and coherant !

Whats Stevie Hyper blabbering out? answers on a postcard lol ..... and his timing is rank!

still have to laugh at the name bottles haha, stevie was widely considered one of the best of the drum and bass mc's man, played a killer set with lenny dee also in sterns at the start of '92 and his timing was perfect. mogs is the man with the info on those sets as sterns was his 2nd home, but i've heard him play em on oos radio at mad hours and have to say, as far as mc's go, stevie was one of the best.

still prefer no mc's tho, let the tunes do the talkin!!!

love 'the shining' samples in this track :D:D great film, love jack!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

love 'the shining' samples in this track :D:D great film, love jack!!!

Great film Sean love Jack meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

any1 got this on vinyl they could rip for me please? diffusion lights is the main track i'm after.http://www.discogs.com/Suspecious-Lovewaves/release/235968
    HAVE IT MR CEE IM NOT 2 HOT WITH D RIPPIN BUSINESS , I STILL STIK ME TONGUE OUT WHEN IM TYPING FFS:D ILL THROW IT ONTO SOUNDCLOUD AND POST THE LINK TO YE....

HAVE IT MR CEE IM NOT 2 HOT WITH D RIPPIN BUSINESS , I STILL STIK ME TONGUE OUT WHEN IM TYPING FFS:D ILL THROW IT ONTO SOUNDCLOUD AND POST THE LINK TO YE....

thanks joe, your a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

thanks joe, your a gent.
    http://soundcloud.com/joe-mangan/es-cee LET US KNOW WHEN YOU DL,D IT ES, N-JOY :)

http://soundcloud.com/joe-mangan/es-cee LET US KNOW WHEN YOU DL,D IT ES, N-JOY :)

top man joe, just grabbed it there mate, thanks again :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

thyme was/is a lethal mc!:D love the mcing he does in eds and himself mixes in d asylum and ormond

turks wrote: »
    thyme was/is a lethal mc!:D love the mcing he does in eds and himself mixes in d asylum and ormond

:D of course he was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

belter! love the part that goes....bam bam bam bam bam bam bam :D

sweet memories of club 106.4fm 1997 :D

1995 Drum n Bass

Adventures in 3D

Side A: Over the Rainbow (Mongoose Lick Mix)

Side B: Future Memories & Beat 4or Me (Slow Jam Mix)

The second vid is both B side tracks back 2 back,second track 'Beat 4or Me starts at 5:52

Obscure gem of a release from Sheffield trio Adventures in 3D co written & produced by Sheffield DJ Mongoose (of Vibealite fame) on Rogue Recordings

Another obscure gem from Rogue Recordings

1995 Jungle

The Dude (aka Marc Caro) : Hidden Power

Side A: Hidden Power

Side B: 1.Wild Trip & 2.Jungle Moves

:cool:

killer tracks, beats are insane!!!!

• Advertisement

killer tracks, beats are insane!!!!

They're savage tunes Es, some belter stuff.

Sheffield set ran tings bitd,while everyone else was championing the London scene & Manchester massive, Europes greenest city was turning out class DJ's & producers who were sought after for the big gigs all over the UK, the likes of DJ Mongoose, DJ Easy D & MC Rush, DJ Mink, Asterix & Space,Mat Dipla where regular crowd pullers and driving eachother to step it up! coupled with the popularity of Sheffield label 'Warp Records' and the work of the above mentioned in collaboration with Robert Gordon (Producer & engineer of Rogue Records and formely co founder of Warp Records) under the guises of Rob Gordon,Black Knight, Forgemasters (Gordon,Sean Maher & Winston Hazel aka DJ Winston),A1 Project (Gordon & Naylor aka Mongoose),View 2 View the scene 'Up North' was in a rich vain of form throughout the 90's
    you should check out some of the YT vids for DJ Mongoose sets @ Vibealite (if you can block out the MC) lol .... and Easy D & MC Rush (Vibealite & Re-Unitez).

All the above coming out of Sheffield alone, not to mention the Manchester set Nexus 21 later Altern8 and the rest made for a healthy diet of all things 'Rave' bitd throughout the North Uk & beyond,the northern scene was much respected so much so that the top southern acts of Top Buzz,Rat Pack aswell as the DJ's from down south regularly collaborated to give rise to the epidemic scene of late 80's early 90's rave culture from the bleeps to the breaks n everything inbetween!

DJ Mongoose - Straight Up (Wris Spec) - First release on Rogue Records (Astro1)

Uploader has this titled incorrectly as the B side track :rolleyes: and no sign of the actual B side on YT (another cracker tune :( )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement