Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Such sweet memories of The Ormonde Multimedia Centre this track brings back. Love it :)

And this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Going through some old stuff on a hard drive tonight and found one of the very few mixes I've ever bothered to record - did this back in about 2005 or so and I'm not sure if it was recorded from a session or just on my own one afternoon! Anyway, figured it was better here than the mix thread if anyone wants a blast of it... Mixing a bit sht at times but what the hell... also much more trance focused than if I were hit the decks these days but definitely more what I was inclined to do back then when we had the odd party etc.

I scanned over the mix and forget some track names and not 100% of others but pretty much the following:

http://soundcloud.com/scubadevils/1-1

1. Movin Melodies - Indica
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. Brothers Grimm - Survive
    5. Sourmash - The Blessing (?)
    6. Finitribe - Brand New (Sourmash Remix)
    7. Lionrock - Tripwire (The Pranksters Soundtrack) [I think]
    8. Circle City - Moments of Inertia (Kleptomaniacs Meet Circle City Remix)
    9. Death Before Disco - Ministry (Exploding Plastic Inevitable Mix)
    10. Resistance D - Skyline (Bytes Mix)
    11. DJ Hell - My Definition of House Music (Resistance D Remix)
    12. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

What a night on sunday, best night in years. Hardfloor rocked the place.
    For me the Best set of the night goes to Pat Hyland, it was an amaxing set mixed hold and new tunes. Great buzzing with everyone again . Micko Morrison's set was superb also ! only cought the start of MK set as Hardfloor was on at the same time.
    The place was not to packed which was a good thing but a great crowed again.
    Got a little bit of Hardfloor and and few other sets on my phone i'll upload later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Sunday night was brilliant, a little piece of auld Dublins Olympic Ballroom was transported into the Vaults by Mark Kavangh, all the classics for a couple of hours, atmosphere was electric, met old faces from yesteryear too, roll on the Crimbo one :)
    Will post up a short vid soon just for a teaser from the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Are people now complaining that the Oldskool scene is not as good as the old Oldskool scene?

leohx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are people now complaining that the Oldskool scene is not as good as the old Oldskool scene?

Ha ha, they is gettin old

OldSkool2040.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

What a pity to hear there was so few there for Lieb. Crazy idea to have a "Weekender" at this moment in time - people can hardly afford to go out for one night. Lieb on one month and Hardfloor the next month would have been far better. Looking forward to seeing who they have on next anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

BaZmO* wrote: »

leohx.jpg

the rip off prices "brand asylum" are charging not the actual music is what people are generally pis*ed off at

• Advertisement

DEVOTION wrote: »
    What a pity to hear there was so few there for Lieb. Crazy idea to have a "Weekender" at this moment in time - people can hardly afford to go out for one night. Lieb on one month and Hardfloor the next month would have been far better. Looking forward to seeing who they have on next anyway.

Serves the cun*s right for charging outrageous prices i hope they made a loss to be honest, if it would've been say €20 a night or €30 for the weekend including booking fee, have less DJ's play meaning less overheads and most would've been happy with that but €49 + BF for the weekend or a whopping €35 on the door just for one bleedin night is nothing short of criminal given the country is in tatters and people out of work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

I'm sure they'll take it on the chin and learn from it. I don't begrudge them a bit of profit to be honest but they have to be realistic too.

DEVOTION wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll take it on the chin and learn from it. I don't begrudge them a bit of profit to be honest but they have to be realistic too.

Of course i don't begrudge anyone putting on any club nights some sort of profit but at what cost, i genuinely think they are just in this solely to make money and nothing else on the basis of the prices they have been charging,look at CJ Bolland and Frank De Wulf back in January a tenner a ticket and one of the best nights of the year, you cant go wrong at that price given the country is in ruins.

Also the vaults too is brutal the soundsystem there has always been cr*p.

Forget rip off weekenders in crap clubs with crap soundsystems, this is what i call serious value for money and the line up is nothing short of amazing with more top names on the old skool scene being added all the time, if i don't go to a club between now and when this happens it wouldn't bother me, this will be the best thing to happen since the early 90's:cool:

http://retrotraxfestival.co.uk/

Ok as was mentioned a while back threads over a certain amount of posts (10k) do actually have to be closed so this will have to be locked unfortunately.

Any last words before its closed off for good?! Bet you never thought the Asylum could be taken away from you twice huh? :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I was chattin to one of the Hardfloor lads and asked him how manys 303s they have, and he told me 11 :eek::eek: That's just greedy ;)
    Got a peak at their set up, looked like they were using 3 x 303s and a 909 along with other bits and bobs. F*ckin rocked it. Noticed plenty of the other djs who had been playing were in lovin Hardfloor aswell

Sht I completely forgot Hardfloor were to play, doubt that will come around again too quickly! :(

Ok as was mentioned a while back threads over a certain amount of posts (10k) do actually have to be closed so this will have to be locked unfortunately.

Any last words before its closed off for good?! Bet you never thought the Asylum could be taken away from you twice huh? :pac: :D

Sad news Davie, are you under instructions to lock it? Who ever sets up the new Oldskool thread can we leave out the Asylum name please :pac: and just have as Old skool Thread?
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    I was chattin to one of the Hardfloor lads and asked him how manys 303s they have, and he told me 11 :eek::eek: That's just greedy ;)
    Got a peak at their set up, looked like they were using 3 x 303s and a 909 along with other bits and bobs. F*ckin rocked it. Noticed plenty of the other djs who had been playing were in lovin Hardfloor aswell

I was chating to them also, sound blokes ! Olly set in the vip room was great.
    Did you here Caspers set? very good!

Sht I completely forgot Hardfloor were to play, doubt that will come around again too quickly! :(

Hope not Davie , would love to see them again! what a night!

• Advertisement

Pat Hyland sliped this into his set.

What a tune :) went down a treat :D

Another track pat played that took the roof off:eek:

Sad news Davie, are you under instructions to lock it? Who ever sets up the new Oldskool thread can we leave out the Asylum name please :pac: and just have as Old skool Thread?

Yeah there was some notifications a while back about changes that had to be made and myself and Zascar were reminded again today.

Agree also, Oldskool thread sounds better! Feel free to start it and make sure to open with a cracking track! Speaking of which, this is unreal...

Sensurreal - Scoff!

Hope not Davie , would love to see them again! what a night!

I'm sick saying it at this stage but I really need to get a night out soon.

Yeah there was some notifications a while back about changes that had to be made and myself and Zascar were reminded again today.

Agree also, Oldskool thread sounds better! Feel free to start it and make sure to open with a cracking track! Speaking of which, this is unreal...

Sensurreal - Scoff!

Amazing tune!
    I'm sick saying it at this stage but I really need to get a night out soon.

I ment to ask you ages ago to see if you where heading along. I knew you would be into Hardfloor!

Agree also, Oldskool thread sounds better! Feel free to start it and make sure to open with a cracking track!

I think you should have the honor to start the new Thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭francois

Sensurreal - Scoff!

Love that tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bet the new thread won't be as good as the old thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I once refered to this thread as "The greatest Book never written" - this thread and all who have contributed to it over the past 6 yrs has been nothing short of brilliant, from the lads to the tunes, the stories,the buzz,the whole oldskool nostalgic memory reload and all round feel good factor, I've loved this thread from the first time I stumbled upon it and everytime I visit, even on the quiet nights just re-reading back over the old posts.

Thanks for the memories lads, the oldskool salutes you!

*takes a tissue* - It's a sad day,saying goodbye to the legendary thread.

I look forward to the craic & the buzz continuing on with everyone on another thread but I'll always revisit this one ....... coz ya just cant beat the oldstuff :D

......as I've always said....... "I'm an old fart who just likes things the way they were"

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Apologies if I jumped the gun here, it doesnt have to be the official one but if noone else objects I'd like to propose this one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75246725#post75246725

"They never lost their hardcore" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement