Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade help

Options
  • 15-06-2005 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

i have a packard bell ,with 800mhz ,62mb ram,running windows me,, if i upgrade the ram to 256 will i be able to run xp instead of ME,?? I know very little about computers so an answer in layman terms would be good!!

cheers :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'd say you'd be best off running windows 2000 without changing any of your parts.

that or buying a cheap pc thats much better for around 400 euro from komplett (see the PC kit with a sempron processor and 256mb of ram on www.komplett.ie under bundles/upgrades > pc kits)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Ya that should work ok. I run it on a 1Ghz with 256mb of ram and its grand. Theoretically it would be possible to run it on your current system but it would be very slow. RAM should be pretty cheap to get. Do you know what type you need? Whats the model of your computer? Check www.shop4memory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

checked the packard bell site,and i need 256mb sdram pc133 168 pin 8chip,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Some cheap RAM down the end of this page - http://www.shop4memory.com/products/sdram.asp . Free delivery too I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

get two 256mb sticks if you can, you'll run XP with all the crap turned off no problem then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I run xp pro on a 750MHz Pentium 3 laptop with 256MB RAM (PC100). It is a bit slow but it works fine.
    PC100 RAM is slower than PC133 RAM so it will probably be a reasonable speed on yours even with all the crap turned on. 256MB RAM is pretty much the least you can get away with though.
    Getting a cheap PC would probably be better for you though in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

sohappy wrote:
    checked the packard bell site,and i need 256mb sdram pc133 168 pin 8chip,

sdram will be dirt cheap to buy check the FS section on boards , u mite oick it up cheap there if ur lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

gline wrote:
    sdram will be dirt cheap to buy check the FS section on boards , u mite oick it up cheap there if ur lucky
    Doesnt old RAM get REALLY expensive after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Doesnt old RAM get REALLY expensive after a while?

not sdram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

gline wrote:
    not sdram
    I think you should have a quick look at all the usual suspects: komplett, shop4memory. You'll be amazed at how expensive it is to buy SDRAM. It's more expensive than DDR at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Of course it's more expensive than DDR. It's just not expensive (RAM is VERY cheap these days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Using a heavily cut down Windows XP CD does wonders for old PCs aswell.

Make yourself a windows disk with a program called nLite. The performance differences you can get with it are incredible.

I made a disk for a friend with a 500 mhz Celeron and 160 megs of RAM and windows xp with office 2003 runs like butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Using a heavily cut down Windows XP CD does wonders for old PCs aswell.

Make yourself a windows disk with a program called nLite. The performance differences you can get with it are incredible.

I made a disk for a friend with a 500 mhz Celeron and 160 megs of RAM and windows xp with office 2003 runs like butter.
    Just make sure not to get too casual about what windows does and doesnt need...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Windows doesnt need anything that nlite can remove really, it's up to what you personally need out of it. E.g. for my bittorrent pc which i run headless i could remove almost everything.

Advertisement