Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music

• 15-06-2005 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

I know this isnt till next week but what exactly do we have to learn for it and is there any remote chance of gettin an A if u **** the dictation coz im **** in it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Even if you fail dictation like, get NOTHING right.You can still get an A.
    Revise all your set and choice songs learn whether their in the form ABA or AABA or whether their in a minor key and whatnot.
    Look over your revised works look over what instruments are used and all that crap.Don't worry you've got LOADS of time to study!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Hi, I'm just curious. What exactly is on the JC music syllabus? I didn't do it in school, much to my regret. I was thinking of doing the course next year when I'll be in TY. There's a college not too far away that does the whole thing in a few months. I play both piano and guitar, have a decent singing voice and I have a reasonable amount of music theory. Would this be a foolish thing? Is it a huge course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

not if you are good at learning off a **** load of set songs and works in a year with choice songs and works and getting 4 songs together for the practical no :p

Jakkass wrote:
    not if you are good at learning off a **** load of set songs and works in a year with choice songs and works and getting 4 songs together for the practical no :p

See, I don't know what you mean. Learning off set songs? Like, their key/time signatures, accidentals, etc? Or actually learning them off and having to write out the sheet music from memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Yeah, their key/time signatures, their rhytmical features (syncopation etc.) and melodic features (ornamention). That's with the set and choice songs. Your set and choice works are the keys, composer, all about the movement, what happens in Section A and the exposition to Section B etc.
    Then there's an Irish music section, which if you have a general knowledge of traditional music performers, it'll be fine (sean-nós comes up a lot) and a General Study which you can choose from certain topics - we did Renaissance music. Then there'll be lots of listening questions, some composing and of course, dictation.
    It's a lot easier than it sounds though. :p I think that if you have a genuine interest and if you're prepared to do the work, you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Fenny wrote:
    Yeah, their key/time signatures, their rhytmical features (syncopation etc.) and melodic features (ornamention). That's with the set and choice songs. Your set and choice works are the keys, composer, all about the movement, what happens in Section A and the exposition to Section B etc.
    Then there's an Irish music section, which if you have a general knowledge of traditional music performers, it'll be fine (sean-nós comes up a lot) and a General Study which you can choose from certain topics - we did Renaissance music. Then there'll be lots of listening questions, some composing and of course, dictation.
    It's a lot easier than it sounds though. :p I think that if you have a genuine interest and if you're prepared to do the work, you'll be fine.

Ah, okay. That sounds quite cool actually. I'm going to try and do this course, thanks for your help! Btw syncopation rocks...haha. My choir teacher never shuts up about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Even if you fail dictation like, get NOTHING right.You can still get an A.
    Hurrah! Well I can get the rhythm and barlines and all that, and a few notes here and there, but if it's any way fast I'm hopeless on the melody really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Dictation and melody writing are my two best by far, usually get the dictation right after one or two listens.

However, I am not good at Irish music and often forget small things about choice songs and that.

But I'm good at music, hoping for the A.

I really like the melody writing as well. I like everything on the course except the dictation really!
    Anyone going to do the free composition? Any genius composers in our midst? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

I love dictation but hate melody writing. I always mess up on that, forgetting to put in phrase marks and everything. Hopefully shouldn't be too bad in the set songs and such - hoping for the A myself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

music is easy... except dictation

the practical is also like marks for nothing... i wish they did that in maths...

I think the practical is a good bit of work really. It's important to pick pieces that you can do well etc. But I suppose, it is anything up to 100 marks in the bag before you go into the exam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

ya but if yer on, like grade 8 piano its easy

elefant wrote:
    ya but if yer on, like grade 8 piano its easy

I hear that!

lol i did singing :p

I did both singing and piano. :rolleyes:

erm any1 studying yet

Not yet. Didn't get a chance really, but I know I'm only using that as an excuse. :p I think I'll put if off until Monday...
    Is it just me raving, or, on any, or most of the past papers with the C course, that the L'Arlesienne Suite hardly ever came up as the set work? Actually, I don't think I've ever seen it. It's always been either Spring or Ripples in the Rockpools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Alqua wrote:
    Not yet. Didn't get a chance really, but I know I'm only using that as an excuse. :p I think I'll put if off until Monday...
    Is it just me raving, or, on any, or most of the past papers with the C course, that the L'Arlesienne Suite hardly ever came up as the set work? Actually, I don't think I've ever seen it. It's always been either Spring or Ripples in the Rockpools.

lol, then it must be on this years exam. Thanks for the tip. What general study is everyone doing? I wanted to do the day-to-day music, but my teacher chose jazz and now its too late to study it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 titanic_lettuce

im doing jazz, its definatly the easiest. Im so annoyed that musics so late

• Advertisement

im doing day to day music
    just choose The Passenger by Iggy Pop and Dublin Bus and Mr Brightside and Lifestyle Sports

lol, then it must be on this years exam. Thanks for the tip.
    Oh it's not a tip, I have no clue what'll come up! :p But I do know that I've never done an exam paper with the L'Arlesienne Suite on it, but then again, we usually worked out of a work book instead of exam papers.
    Ripples in the Rockpools is great, because you can write about all the unusual instruments in it.

erm choice works are damned important too with your choice songs

Yep, except only one of them will come up. (Choice Works or Choice Songs)

Alqua wrote:
    Yep, except only one of them will come up. (Choice Works or Choice Songs)
    omg kewl nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The DIT called my mum today, I'd applied to do music there in September for my Junior Cert next year and I was told they would teach me everything in one year. She said today though that everyone would be ahead of me and I'd have to catch up as it was a two year course. I'll be getting the textbooks over the summer and I'd like to know, how hard is the music theory? I have basic music theory from playing the piano but how difficult/easy will it be to teach myself the 2nd year syllabus over the summer?

Liz

erm its basically harmonising, composing and finding triads and note naming its pretty basic but i recommend up to about Grade 3 or 2 theory standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's grand I have about Grade 3 theory.

Right come on people.I have day and a bit to cram.What'll I do!? Oh and is there anyway on gods green earth that I can revise dictation,cause I'm terrible at that..............any helpful hints!!!

• Advertisement

lol dictation is hell for me too lol. cram your songs and your general study section and ffs know your theory :p

Thanks.I is off to cram..............meh maybe later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Dictation is hell... in the mocks I got 4 out of forty. I think that was for the barlines. I don't get why though, because usually my rhythms are spot on... really worried now...

Just gotta remember everything else... le sigh

my melody dictation is a lot better than my rhythm

Maybe that means I should be a drummer?

Wow... that was easier than I though... I think I got the dictation right... Some of the questions were a bit iffy though... like the preservation one... ,but i hope i did okay!

• Advertisement

Well I thought music was grand. And after all that - L'Arlesienne Suite fecking well came up! :p It was easy enough though. It was funny because the CD player didn't work for ages, and all they could get was this fuzzy radio reception. We had ages to look at the paper, and people kept talking as well!
    Overall music was good, even dictation wasn't that bad!
    And woohoo! I'm finished the Junior Cert! :D

was that farandole? for the L'Arlesienne Suite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 titanic_lettuce

ye it was farandole 4th movement

that was so much better than i thought it would be!

dictation was doable
    i listened to Gabriels Oboe on my MP3 player b4 the exam
    i did Day 2 Day Music and it suited OK
    THe irish music was good

Was grand for me, anyhow, but I've never really had a problem with music. How they preserved Irish music was not a nice question, and I didn't like the ones that came up on the CD for Illustrative and film music.

• Advertisement

I thought the Irish music question was really good because it was easier to write about the ways people have preserved Irish music than to try and write a load of information on a group/solo performer.
    What did everyone write about for that? I wasn't sure what to do but I did the Belfast Harp Festival and the people in the early 20th century organising ceilis and the likes.

I didn't really like the ones on the CD for the illustrative music either. Got a bit mixed up writing the answers, thinking I had written the wrong things in the wrong places and such, and kept running out of space.

i did Belfast Harp Festival and the Emigration of the Irish and the spread of irish music.
    Illustrative music was very interesting I thought. First song was rather creepy. Second song rawked. What did you do for general study

I did Jazz Music as a general study.

And the recording of "This Little Light of Mine" was brilliance.

how did it go. Day To Day music was sinch did anyone else do that. please list of you didnt do Jazz or Day to Day and if you did jazz say it again :p

I did Renaissance music and it was easy, for the three features I just wrote about three different types of songs.
    And the recording of "This Little Light of Mine" was brilliance.
    I thought that was really funny! A couple of my friends and I had this little group, mostly in second year and we'd meet and sing at random times, sort of. "This Little Light of Mine" was actually the only song we did, and we made up a couple of harmonies and sang it over and over. It was funny hearing that today, especially as the people singing were so...hyper! Great gospel style!
    Illustrative music was very interesting I thought. First song was rather creepy.
    When I heard the first song all I could think of was the film, "American Beauty"
    It didn't happen to remind anyone else of that? Maybe it was similar to some of the music in the film...

Advertisement