Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibb Ripwave

• 15-06-2005 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Would anyone recommend getting this?Whats the general speed like??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

get breeze if your getting irish broadband, do a search before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

I've had ripwave for nearly a year,speed is v.fast,on my P.C.
    But unable to any service on my laptop.(which I mostly use.)Seriously thinking of giving the thing up.
    I think it depends on where you live as to what kind of speed you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Eve e wrote:
    I've had ripwave for nearly a year,speed is v.fast,on my P.C.
    But unable to any service on my laptop.(which I mostly use.)Seriously thinking of giving the thing up.
    I think it depends on where you live as to what kind of speed you get.

what happens on your laptop, if it works on the pc it will work on your laptop if there in the same geographical location, it must be something to do with your set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

dont go near it .. its up and down and speeds are bad .. see the other ibb posts before looking at IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

With IBB get the breeze if you want a real broadband experience
    Ripwave is just there for if you dont want dial up speeds and dont want to have a big aerial on your house.
    Ripwave is mainly advertised for students in rented accomadation from what a ibb rep told me last feb.

• Advertisement

zap wrote:
    what happens on your laptop, if it works on the pc it will work on your laptop if there in the same geographical location, it must be something to do with your set up.

I don't know it was fine for the latter part of last year,(was v. slow but I could get some kind of a signal)over a weekend it went down,on the internet connect box it keeps trying to connect to jkbdub.I brought the laptop down to IBB the guy behind the desk checked it and said the configurations/setup were
    fine. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

breeze is just as bad most of the time ... see my exp with em .. this is the 3rd or 4th time too.

I know of some people who get a perfect laptop signal using IBB.But they must be sitting beside an open window typing on a laptop thats perched on the window ledge with a blue moon in the sky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Use the search function.....

^was posted an hour ago^ read the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ive been using ripwave for about 8 months i think, all i wanted it for was web browsing etc, and i found it perfect cause i dont have a phone line. I never had any problems with it, and it is often left on days on end

Call them if you want them, dont email them as its pot luck with their email system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It has been working fine for me the last several months. When it doesn't work, dealing with IBB can be annoying.

Advice:

Don't get it for gaming. Pings are very high.

Get the ethernet version only.

If you can't get it to work early on, send it back and get a refund and look elsewhere. Spend a little while trying it in different parts of the house or flat. Find out where the transmitter is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

ive had it for about 6 months and it has only gone down about 3 times in that period, each time only lasting about an hour in the middle of the night and precidented by a warning email from IBB.

It costs 25 euro per month which is about 90 cent a day.

In other words, Ive found Ripwave to be a great product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Eve e wrote:
    I know of some people who get a perfect laptop signal using IBB.But they must be sitting beside an open window typing on a laptop thats perched on the window ledge with a blue moon in the sky :rolleyes:
    The signal has nothin to do with the machine you're using but rather the location of the ripwave modem. Make sure the modem is in the same place as when it's working on your PC.
    NB IBB will only assign one IP address per modem (as of late last year). This means that if you're using the modem on your PC and then plug it into your laptop it won't be assigned a network address. You need to disconnect it from your PC and then wait roughly an hour before you connect it to your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

never had a problem tbh. only had an outage once for two hours [2-4am] and preceded by a warning email from ibb the day before.

fantastic service imo.

The signal has nothin to do with the machine you're using but rather the location of the ripwave modem. Make sure the modem is in the same place as when it's working on your PC.
    I used to use an airport card in my laptop to get my signal(even when the modem was off it was picking up the signal from somewhere)The modem was pluged into the P.C in the same position all the time, but after the signal went I have to move it around constantly (had to buy longer extention leads)its obviously a case of too many people loaded on to one tower.I know a few people who have already given up on them and handed the box back.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Eve e wrote:
    I used to use an airport card in my laptop to get my signal(even when the modem was off it was picking up the signal from somewhere)The modem was pluged into the P.C in the same position all the time, but after the signal went I have to move it around constantly (had to buy longer extention leads)its obviously a case of too many people loaded on to one tower.I know a few people who have already given up on them and handed the box back.
    :rolleyes:
    Well I think the problem lies with the fact that your laptop isn't and never was using your ripwave modem to connect to the internet. You were probably picking up someone elses wireless LAN which has now prob disappeared. You'll need to actually connect the cable of the modem to your laptop to connect to the net. Or if you want to connect wirelessly you'll need to get a wireless router. You seem to be a bit confused about the wireless nature of ripwave. The modem connects to the IBB mast wirelessly. It does not create a wireless LAN for laptops or other wireless devices to connect to.

If I connect the modem to my laptop I can get the net fine.I was told by someone I didn't need a wireless router,he set up all the configurations on my P.C. and laptop, as it was good to go for a few months I presumed he was right (probally should do my own research next time)Was also told that my orignal laptop signall could be coming from an IBB base station seeing as I live very close to one.Could this be possible :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Eve e wrote:
    If I connect the modem to my laptop I can get the net fine.I was told by someone I didn't need a wireless router,he set up all the configurations on my P.C. and laptop, as it was good to go for a few months I presumed he was right (probally should do my own research next time)Would there have been any chance that I was orignally was getting the signal for my laptop from an IBB base station seeing as I live very close to one.
    Get this person to check out your wireless lan setup. It is true that you don't need a wireless router as two wirelessly connected computers can be made to talk to each other and share a broadband connection. It is possible that this was the way you had things set up.

However to do this one machine must be physically connected directly to the ripwave unit. This machine (most likely the P.C.) must be switched on in order to share the broadband connection and it must be directly connected to the ripwave unit by cable (not wirelessly).

If you can get ripwave to work with both the PC and the laptop by connecting directly to the ripwave unit then the problem is not with the ripwave service.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Get this person to check out your wireless lan setup. It is true that you don't need a wireless router as two wirelessly connected computers can be made to talk to each other and share a broadband connection. It is possible that this was the way you had things set up.
    Yeah,thats pretty much the deal.
    Cheers for that advice,I'll get them to check the wireless lan set-up tommorow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Ripwave is a good product, but it all depends on the area. When it works, it works great. but its great because you have a 30 day cooling off period! So if yer not happy send it back for a full refund. You cant lose!!!

Advertisement