Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with the L.C

Options
  • 15-06-2005 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I know most people wont care...we are nearly finished but there really is a few things they should iron out. Like the problems with aurals where people were in big groups.
    Or those dam strips for sticking the booklet closed, $70m and that's the best they can do!? They should be like the envelopes where you take the strip off and it sticks...althogh that would produce over a million little strips let over....greens might not like that.
    Of how about the amount of writing for subjects like history or geo? surely thats cruelty to children...

Anyone got any more gripes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

oh come on.. considerin the logistics, they do a pretty good job.

some schools cant help but have big groups in aurals, who cares bout the strip? and how can ya test geog or history without loads of writing?

i've no complaints to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Hmm that attitude kinda ruins the thread....

yeah, i suppose but people will either agree with me or agree with you..

or maybe i shud just delete my post?

I know people don't seem to like the idea of having one test a day, but how about a much fairer timetable?

For example, a lot of people that do Physics also do Accountancy. This is also the case for those that do Business and History. If they would just look at the figures, they should be able to realise what other subjects people who study Accountancy do etc.

Also, I find it really unfair that Tec. Graphics is the only exam, besides the usual English, Irish and Maths, that has two papers (if we don't counts the orals and aurals and the Art pre-exam thing). Not only that, but each paper is 3 hours long! that's an hour longer than Maths! I really think something should be done about this soon.

Also, I don't think we should have to study so many poets for English, as it only counts for 50 marks.

Oh, and for the aurals, we either need headphones or someone just calling out each article rather than having it on a cd.

And I think the layout of the French paper is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

hear hear....raise a rebellion too late for me though im finished!!my only prob is how we dont get A's for bein great and why "goin out" isnt a exam subject......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

The amount of people who seem to be cheating. The fact that alot of examiners are stupid, let people get away with murder and also allow people go over the time limit (or dont give people the full time).

the tech drawin thing is true.. loong boring exam tomorrow

yeah, i suppose but people will either agree with me or agree with you..

or maybe i shud just delete my post?

I was gonna delete the thread...but now it looks like there's no need.

u win :) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I know people don't seem to like the idea of having one test a day, but how about a much fairer timetable?

For example, a lot of people that do Physics also do Accountancy. This is also the case for those that do Business and History. If they would just look at the figures, they should be able to realise what other subjects people who study Accountancy do etc.

Also, I find it really unfair that Tec. Graphics is the only exam, besides the usual English, Irish and Maths, that has two papers (if we don't counts the orals and aurals and the Art pre-exam thing). Not only that, but each paper is 3 hours long! that's an hour longer than Maths! I really think something should be done about this soon.

Also, I don't think we should have to study so many poets for English, as it only counts for 50 marks.

Oh, and for the aurals, we either need headphones or someone just calling out each article rather than having it on a cd.

An interesting post.
    1.I agree that the timetable doesn't give a fair enough balance for the majority. Certainly, commonly done groups of subjects(eg Business and History) should be changed.In my opinion the timetable puts the subjects that take longest to correct first, then going down to the likes of Music and Ag.science which not as many people do.

2. I disagree that tech graph should be shorter. Look at art and engineereing. There are dozens of hours put into the exam(practical/project/written). The longer exams are, the less you rely on luck.

3. Yeah way too many poets for english. its very silly. On the other hand, the comparitive is a bit easy. You can basically learn an essay and be able to use it word for word in the exam.

4. Headphones for aural are a good idea, but they would never do it...$$$. The aural isn't too bad with CD's.

My chair squeeks.

• Advertisement

My chair squeeks.

Yes. Yes it does.

Well I guess that means you're doing Tec. Graphics tomorrow too, so GOOD LUCK!!!!

My chair speaks Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ill be out of TG in 30 mins tomorrow without a doubt. Same day after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Good luck u 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

I know that the exam is changing next year but I always thought it would make a lot of sense to have 2 history papers one for Ireland the other for Europe that way you could actually analyse the subject matter and give your own opinion as apposed to just writing as much as physically possible at a ridiculous speed for 3 hrs and 20mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

how about the amount of writing for subjects like history or geo? surely thats cruelty to children...QUOTE]

well its true..... i wrote 24 pages in history 2day and my hand died.alos my other one did to because of miss use .i was only using one hand.hurts when i type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I find it really unfair that Tec. Graphics is the only exam, besides the usual English, Irish and Maths, that has two papers

Yes, but you have to admit that Tech Drawing is a relatively short course but it would be hard to test your knowledge in only one exam. But yes two exams is a little annoying but at least it's split up...

Just wondering for tech drawing are you guys use a drawing board or a proper drawing desk? I'm using a drawing desk which means I have to carry it all the way to the exam hall from one of the classes (or get a guy to).

I disagree, although it's annoying having to prepare the poets I think it's one fo the nicer questions on the paper.

Yeah it is.

I find it unfair that the hall I'm in is usually pretty damn cold.

the tech drawin thing is true.. loong boring exam tomorrow

Oh come on, it isn't boring. Do you not like it when you finish a question and you can look at it and think 'that's good'. I always think that a finished drawing shows appreciation for the work you put in, whereas you can't say that with too many subjects. :D

Agreed. I don't find Tec. Graphics boring at all. It's one of the few subject that's mentally challenging, i.e even if you know how they did and to do everything in the past papers, it doesn't necessarily mean you will do well in the exam.

So I think we should now take some time out to pray for an easy interpenetration question and an easy 1 (c) question tomorrow. :)

Agreed. I don't find Tec. Graphics boring at all. It's one of the few subject that's mentally challenging, i.e even if you know how they did and to do everything in the past pares, it doesn't necessarily mean you will do well in the exam.

So I think we should now take some time out to pray for an easy interpenetration question and an easy 1 (c) question tomorrow. :)

Well Tech Drawing is a subject that you should try to understand if you're going for a high grade, so many in my class just learn the steps in drawing something which is where you can easily go wrong if something unusual creeps up.

I think intersection of solids should be ok, it is one of the longer questions on paper I (takes the full 45 mins) but it's the same process for each year pretty much.

I don't think I'll bother which Intersection of Planes (Q1), I think the others are a lot shorter, however 1a,1b,1d are the same each year and very easy to answer so it's a good backup.

It's never good when I have a choice, I always take ages to make up my mind then.

I have a feeling a unusual oblique is gonna come up, if you look at the last few years they've been a pretty simple shape so watch out.

Also is a tetrahedron a 4 or 5 sided shape?

This is a tetrahedron. It came up a few years ago.

I'll definitely be doing intersecting planes and the locus, then I'll pick two from solid in contact, interpenetration, and oblique planes.

Oh and I'll continue to call it Technical Graphics, no matter what it says on the timetable.

• Advertisement

This is a tetrahedron. It came up a few years ago.

Cool thanx
    I'll definitely be doing intersecting planes and the locus, then I'll pick two from solid in contact, interpenetration, and oblique planes.

I'm not doing loci, we never covered it at higher level and I remember it can get kinda messy (too many lines, for me anyway).

I'm starting with Solids in contact, oblique, conics, intersection of solids.

Oh and I'll continue to call it Technical Graphics, no matter what it says on the timetable.

Fine it just reminds me of the junior is all.

Good luck tomorrow!

Aristotle and Angel, bit of brainboxes eh? I'm screwed :(

Webmonkey wrote:
    I'm screwed :(

Be positive, you ain't screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

*Angel* wrote:
    Be positive, you ain't screwed.
    That's a bit negative isn't it

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭7thSeal

Ah Toúche

Macka wrote:
    I know that the exam is changing next year but I always thought it would make a lot of sense to have 2 history papers one for Ireland the other for Europe that way you could actually analyse the subject matter and give your own opinion as apposed to just writing as much as physically possible at a ridiculous speed for 3 hrs and 20mins.

Yeah i agree that would be far better, i was kinda hoping for at least one kinda "Analyse blah" type question so at least one essay i did was more than transcribing, especially since its the end of the course. Oh well, there's always next time....hey wait there's not...

:)

daxon wrote:

well its true..... i wrote 24 pages in history 2day and my hand died.alos my other one did to because of miss use .i was only using one hand.hurts when i type

Yep i did 26 for business....then had history later....30 pages later i was crippled....fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

sure the whole bloody shows a disgrace.I don't know any other country at all that has 3 weeks full of exams .Thats it 3 hours for 2 years of doing a subject, 2 and a half for app. maths. In korea they have one day to sit their whole exams + they have continous assesment and whichever is better is your deciding grade. Germany has continious assesment and 1 week of exams at the end, 50/50 towards your final grade

Advertisement