Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with the L.C

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

and aswell one of my friends has 5 subjects that he needs all A's in in the last week. another of my friends finished yesterday, fair or what (the layout)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

sixdraw wrote:
    In korea they have one day to sit their whole exams

Every subject in one day.....? even with continous assessment that sounds pretty crammed...are sure about that?

ya they only do like 3 or 4 subjects.start at 9 finish at 6. breaks between each exam and lunch of course. its all multiple choice aswell but trust me it isnt as easy as you think at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

My superintendant was hot. She kept on distracting people with her beautifull ass. :( They should screen the hot examiners out so that people can concentrate on their exams.

Multiple choice is always good..so it's about an hour per subject?

• Advertisement

I'd say around 2 hours , I'm not entirely sure on the length of each one but I know its all in one day and if ye think we have things bad here you should hear what school life is like for the koreans.They sleep at their desks in the study hall at night, the teachers can beat the ****e into them and the pressure is dismal

You mean that doesn't happen in your school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Binomate wrote:
    My superintendant was hot. She kept on distracting people with her beautifull ass. :( They should screen the hot examiners out so that people can concentrate on their exams.

ur so priveleged. i've only had scruff old boggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i could honestly spend an hour criticising the examination systm but if i get my points i prob won't care. its so true.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

sixdraw wrote:
    I'd say around 2 hours , I'm not entirely sure on the length of each one but I know its all in one day and if ye think we have things bad here you should hear what school life is like for the koreans.They sleep at their desks in the study hall at night, the teachers can beat the ****e into them and the pressure is dismal
    Yeah, the Korean system is insane. I had a Korean friend in school, she thought the Irish system was like holiday camp. She couldn't believe at first how relaxed the teachers were, how few hours we had each day, the way that we had half days on Wednesdays. In Korea, people have committed suicide over getting 95% in an exam, that's how competitive they are. She wasn't very happy about moving back to Korea at all - among other things, she had to cut off all her long hair when she went back, all the girls have to have shoulder-length hair in school.

As for criticisms... I'd extend the length of the Classics exam, because eight essays in three hours is a bit ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I think its time the Latin course changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I'm not happy with the way we do Irish in school, not happy at all. even my sister, sitting her junior cert(she finished today, lucky thing) has to analyse poetry in her irish exam! and here's me doing my leaving without the faintest idea of, say, how to form the plural of a noun? it's pretty pathetic.
    I think up til junior cert they should focus on grammar and actually using the language rather than all that literature crap. and then for leaving cert... cut the literature or make it an optional subject. I could have done really well in irish if it wasn't for all the learning off answers for the literature questions on paper II. now I'm hoping to pass, get a C at best. it's a disgrace!

also I'm taking this opportunity to cry about art exams in general. the practicals are unrealistic - maybe van gogh worked scarily fast, that doesn't mean everyone else can churn out a fantastic piece of art in 2.5 hours! even 5 hours for the craft exam was pretty tight, and I arrived with most of my stuff preassembled. one of the best artists I know despaired of the practicals because she works very slowly - but her finished product is insanely good. the junior cert project model is so much better.
    and art history... well, what can I say. I draw because I'm not good at this wording stuff - and now 36% of my final grade depends on 3 5-page essays(this includes sketches, obviously) crammed into a 2.5 hour exam? what the fewk, seriously. my trials and tribulations have put my sister(fantastic artist) off of doing art, even though she could easily get an A - based on a practical exam. she did art for junior cert, and she's getting an A. if she doesn't there's something seriously wrong with the world - but she's not going to do art for the leaving because the exams are a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

how about not having two demanding subjects in one day... for example Irish p2 and home ec which i was depending on for a1's but realistically now havnt a hope of achieving!
    o well its over now and as someone said if we get our choices we're not going to care!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

about the aurals, i think headphones would be a good idea, because during our french and irish aural, the pass people were twisting and turning pages while the others were trying to listen for that all important word.happened me twice in french, was listening for the word, knew it was just coming up and then someone starts flicking through pages and missed the word.its not really fair on other people i think(no offence to people who do pass)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashmurph

our teacher told us 2 bring in pritt stick 2 seal the answer books. best advice ever, no way my pages r falling out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

scorpy wrote:
    I'm not happy with the way we do Irish in school, not happy at all. even my sister, sitting her junior cert(she finished today, lucky thing) has to analyse poetry in her irish exam! and here's me doing my leaving without the faintest idea of, say, how to form the plural of a noun? it's pretty pathetic.
    I think up til junior cert they should focus on grammar and actually using the language rather than all that literature crap. and then for leaving cert... cut the literature or make it an optional subject. I could have done really well in irish if it wasn't for all the learning off answers for the literature questions on paper II. now I'm hoping to pass, get a C at best. it's a disgrace!

Well said. Looking back over my report sheets.These are what I got in Irish:
    1st year-A
    2nd year-C...higher
    3rd year-C...higher
    4th year-D...higher
    5th year(mocks)...E...higher
    Then I dropped down to pass, think i got a B(equilvalent of an E in honours)

This was due to 3 things-
    1.A low level of teaching
    2.Poetry and prose on the course. Teachers get obsessed with it and ignire grammer.
    3. The grades have to account for the Gaeltacht areas, who are taking all our A1's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

OTliddy wrote:
    Well said. Looking back over my report sheets.These are what I got in Irish:
    1st year-A
    2nd year-C...higher
    3rd year-C...higher
    4th year-D...higher
    5th year(mocks)...E...higher
    Then I dropped down to pass, think i got a B(equilvalent of an E in honours)

I got B's in 1st year and 2nd then a C in the Junior, I also had to drop to ordinary at the end of 5th year. I use to like Irish but it's hard when the whole course is pathetic and the teachers useless.

i'd better irish in 6th class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

your supposed t learn all d grammer in primary school and first year but dat never happens im opposite t rest of u though i got an F in first yr den c in second an A in junior an A in mocks...my teacher was deadly though so thats prob why!**** the poetry n crap i think u shud keep up ur oral irish cos its really important t have it "tir gan teanga tir gan anam!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

I seem to have real difficulty balancing two languages I'm either good at French poor at Irish or vice versa. Thats what it was like up until 5th year when I dropped to lower Irish I think it would be better to make Irish optional after primary. That way you get a core understanding of our language which you can choose to pursue further if you wish in secondary. You could make it a choice between French German Spanish and Irish. I think that the problem is that most students take a look at both languages and decide to concentrate on the more international languages but if they go into secondary with a basic understanding of the language and a choice between it and a new language I think they'd stick with Irish. Oh and yes the majority of teachers are appaling and the course is in serious need of an overhaul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

irish is a joke alright and need to get into all the NUI's (or atleast i think it still is) but its rare people seem to actually fail it at pass level my irish was a joke i could barely say my name had a better standard in 6th class then i did going into the leaving and i still managed to get that D3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

yeah umm...i think your name is wrong

ya its a very common criticism of irish.here aswell as in my school. my grades are the exact same , started high gradually dropped then to pass level and kept dropping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

My irish teachers since 4th year were absolutely terrible. we spent the entirety of fourth year messing around with a play in irish, then for most of fifth year we did nothing while the teacher did some play with her 4th years!(she was a new one btw, and although I think she could have been a good teacher her heart was in drama - left at the end of the year to do a drama degree) sixth year was all a game of catchup and honestly my teacher was hopeless. most miserable woman I've ever met in my life, too - we called her 'depression' because she never smiled; obviously hated her job.

pff. that charade's over now, anyway.

...although has anyone else noticed that irish is now a working language of the EU, and yet most of our TDs and MEPs don't even speak it? what an empty gesture...

Advertisement