Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did eircom charge high downloaders in the end?

• 15-06-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

almost 6 - 8 weeks ago a couple of people posted that had gone way in excess of their download limit - one guy had downloaded 75 gig.

just wondering now that the next bill period has probably been reached for most people ( and its over 2 months since the upgraded caps and speeds ) did any high downloaders get charged on their latest bill for excess downloading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Link Possibly should be made a sticky...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Link Possibly should be made a sticky...

your link just seems to go to the search page..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Cr8or wrote:
    your link just seems to go to the search page..

I think that was the point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

And how would you find the answer to that particular question he asked. It's not 1 that has been asked before because it is regarding the last 2 months and charging. I wanted to know this too but I held off asking as I knew these would be the type of unhelpful answers I would have gotten

Arabel wrote:
    I think that was the point...

i have to admit thats a bit lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I have never been charged and i break the limit by ludicrous amounts every month, dont believe ANYONE who says they have been charged until you see a scan of a bill.

They dont charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cr8or wrote:
    i have to admit thats a bit lame.

Maybe you should start acknowledging some other things too ;)

o0o_:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

joe. wrote:
    And how would you find the answer to that particular question he asked. It's not 1 that has been asked before because it is regarding the last 2 months and charging. I wanted to know this too but I held off asking as I knew these would be the type of unhelpful answers I would have gotten

thank you! its getting to the stage where you have to spend half an hour researching the search function on this forum before posting - other wise you get these kind of comments - isnt this forum about asking questions and sharing information...

WellyJ wrote:
    I have never been charged and i break the limit by ludicrous amounts every month, dont believe ANYONE who says they have been charged until you see a scan of a bill.

They dont charge

whats ludicrous?! - twice, three times the cap? more even!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

June Summary for
    You have exceeded your download limit for this month!
    Logins 59
    Offpeak Traffic 14190 minutes
    Peak Traffic 6135 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.25 GB [1342112899 bytes]
    Data downloaded 60.10 GB [64526979225 bytes]

Click here for history

at this rate i think i could break my record :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well that cant be good how much will you get charged bounty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Joe, meet joe.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Its just this is one of those questions that gets asked at least once every week. Take a look at that huge IBB thread about upgrading. That baby kept being bounced back when people had issues with the upgrade, as opposed to people starting a new thread just because it wasn't on the first page.

If its less than 2 weeks old, feel free to add a reply to an "old" thread. If its more than two weeks, maybe go for a new thread (depending). Thats the way i look at it.

EDIT: Hell, theres three threads on the first page on the topic now....

in fairness, this question, ( which is an open question to anyone who posted about high downloading about 6-8 weeks ago ) could not be in the search, and is a relevant question to a lot of people

i read this forum every day and know its hasnt been asked specifically or addressed...

if it were the case the no question can be asked thats remotely related to another posting this forum may as well shut up shop now... dont forget a lot of new users come to this forum not knowing whats being asked before and when they get hassled for asking straight away its going to put them right off again

Moderators, this practice of hassling people for asking questions should be stamped out.. otherwise your going to start to lose readers, a lot of people are grumbling about this already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Draylor

Little over 20Gb in April, little more over it in May, no charges for the excess on bill received covering April/May.

Sooner or later they'll start charging: the longer they leave it the further over the cap Im likely to be when they do start charging :eek:

whats ludicrous?! - twice, three times the cap? more even!

By ludicrous i mean 10 times the cap :D:D

Check This Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Welly, does eircom ever throttle your connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Perhaps this little story should serve as a warning for people who believe they are not going to get charged.

In the early nineties, I worked in a small software company and we did not receive a single bill from Eircom for something like four years. Then all of a sudden they copped on we existed and sent us a bill for the four years of calls and rental. It was ir£8000. That was a lot at the time.

They say they have the right to charge for excess bandwidth so don't assume that if they get round to charging that you can use an excuse like "you didn't charge me six months ago so I don't have to pay it". the money ball is very clearly in their court.

WellyJ wrote:
    By ludicrous i mean 10 times the cap :D:D

Check This Out

thats... thats pretty ludicrous!

then my next question has to be? how did you manage it! you must have had it going day and night!

• Advertisement

Perhaps this little story should serve as a warning for people who believe they are not going to get charged.

In the early nineties, I worked in a small software company and we did not receive a single bill from Eircom for something like four years. Then all of a sudden they copped on we existed and sent us a bill for the four years of calls and rental. It was ir£8000. That was a lot at the time.

They say they have the right to charge for excess bandwidth so don't assume that if they get round to charging that you can use an excuse like "you didn't charge me six months ago so I don't have to pay it". the money ball is very clearly in their court.
    you could well be right there - wasnt there some posts recently from esat users who hadnt been billed in 6-8 months and then got billed all at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

well **** what the hell man

iv gone over my limit by a gig or so and like i only got it last thursday

i could risk it and keep downloading..

CyberGhost,

Never, get a constant 213KB/s whenever im downloading

And to the other poster,

i dont download day and night, if i did it would hit roughly 552GB per month

Also JimmyCrackCorm

My neighbour, 3 doors up, is an Eircom technician and he says if they ever actually start charging there will be a warning put on the bill 2 months in advance, thats why im not worried IN THE SLIGHTEST about it, i just D/L whatever i want whenever i want :D

Makes Broadband so much more enjoyable

WellyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

w00t!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Total Time Online: 719:29:41
    Total Uploads: 13205 MB
    Total Downloads: 118135 MB
    Download Allowance: 16384 MB
    Percent of Allowance used: 721%

I never got billed for this! Although that's a bit more than what I usually do, thanks to BitTorrent!
    I'm not worried about it! Not a lot anyway! Wont lose any sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Bwah haha haha, I can't wait til they flick the virtual switch on for the download allowance billing :D

And you all know that they reserve the right to do so and you've all agreed to it which will make it so much sweeter!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I just received my final from eircom today (recently moved to Smart)!

Noticed that they now include the amount that you have download over the previous perios. For the 3 weeks of May I was with eircom I'd downloaded practically 20GB (limit 8GB, although bill says 4GB????) and hadn't been charged for it.

Wasn't charged for breaking the 12 month contract either, had 5 months left to run on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

A lot of people here are clearly raping the bittorrent networks. Have some shame people! You're ruining the downloading experience for EVERYONE. You need a 1:1 ratio and theres no excuse, ffs.

On the topic of being charged ,never happened to me.

Ha ha ha, torrents........

Ha ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Should certainly be interesting to see what happens when they do start charging... Particularly interesting if they do it retroactively.

Advertisement