Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are all solicotors the same

Options
  • 15-06-2005 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

has anyone been f`d round by solicotors or is it just me they all seem to be money grabbin shams who dont bother to let u know whats goin on either they`re out sick r gone to funerals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, they're all different.

I've dealt with loads of them,`and different guys are good for different situations.

I would agree that there are many solicitors who aren't good at the basic professional things like returning calls.

The reasons for this situation are complex. Basically, it isn't as easy to run a good law firm as it might look.

Small shops have one set of problems - for example, they tend to be completely underresourced if a client starts growing quickly, and this results in reduced service for all the clients. As the firm expands rapidly, quality can slip, because there aren't the checks and balances and coaching in place to deal with the issues. It may well be that they just aren't big enough to make proper systems viable.

On the other hand, with large firms, the costs can easily get way out of hand. And the quality of the advice you get and the quality of the execution will only be as good as the partner and solicitor you're dealing with.

In a large firm, you may be surprised to find that a lot of the work is actually done by very junior people. This just goes with the territory. It's part of the economic model for all professional services.

At all sizes and levels, the job of being a solicitor can get very stressful, especially if the solicitor is working really hard, trying to get the best deal for the client. Some of them just don't cope well under the strain.

All the good ones have to try to steer clear of clients who are just going to cause trouble and never be profitable. There are plenty clients like that around. This effectively means that a lot of good firms will deliberately put barriers in the way to avoid taking you on, if they don't know you.

You just have to get a recommendationand introduction for someone who is decent, can understand your needs and has the expertise you need. Then you need to keep tabs on things.

The reality is also that there isn't much professional control over solicitors. It is practically impossible to sue a solicitor or to take a solicitor to task through the Incorporated Law Society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seems to be hard to find a professional one. Any I've dealt with were rubbish. I'm still on the look out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mac99 wrote:
    has anyone been f`d round by solicotors or is it just me they all seem to be money grabbin shams who dont bother to let u know whats goin on either they`re out sick r gone to funerals
    I’ve had good and bad solicitors (sadly the worst I ever had was from one of the big law firms) over the years and I’ve been in more litigious encounters of one type or another than I’d care to remember - indeed, once even involving a former colleague of one of this thread’s posters.

As with any profession there are good and bad, competent and incompetent. The thing to remember is that they ultimately are running a business so the interests of their firm will always supersede yours. So don’t be frightened to seek second opinions or even get some recommendations if you’re uncomfortable with your present solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Yip most are worse than useless. I think its because there is so much work for the feckers, that there is a general 'take it or leave it attitude' from them.

The best bet would be to try and get someone who is just starting out in their own practise and is looking to build up clients.

Also money is not too relavent, we had VERY fancy solictors and they where crap. €150 an hour for the privelege of being messed around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yup the newbie (liars) do try their best

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Most clients have completely unrealistic expectations. For most solicitors, if they were to return every phone call within their client's preferred timeframe, they would get no work done. The same often goes for the work itself. Anyone who thinks that solicitors are lazy is simply ignorant. Of course there are crap ones but the initial poster's generalisation is typical of most peoples idiotic herd-like view of lawyers.

Maximilian wrote:
    ...is typical of most peoples ...view of lawyers.

Generalising is a two edged sword at times. :D However I think most people are talking about their actual experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Many solicitors have a completely unrealistic understanding of what 'customer service', and 'professional' mean.

It's perfectly feasible for a solicitor to return every call within a working day. One law firm that did a lot of work for me did this as a matter of policy. I have had the managing partner ring me back on a Christmas Eve. It only takes a minute to send an email or return a call. It's just a matter of priorities - if service is important to the firm, the solicitors do it, if the firm doesn't really care, they won't bother.

It isn't just the service that can be slovenly. The actual work is sometimes very poor. Some of the conveyances I have seen would make a grown man cry. Solicitors often don't have the expertise to deal with the issue the client is presenting. A lot of this goes unchecked. The reality is that it is practically impossible to get representation to sue a solicitor or to go through the ILS's grievance procedure.

Of course there are problems on the customer side too. The main problem I see is that customers aren't firm enough with solicitors from the very beginning of the relationship and tend to put too much trust in them, too early on.

The sad reality is that everything a solicitor (or any other professional for that matter) recommends or suggests needs to be questioned, until the customer builds up a reasonable amount of trust in the solicitor.

Never allow any difficult issues to lie fallow. If there's something you're not happy about, be sure to let the solicitor know. If things aren't resolved, get the issue in writing within a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Can't complain with my guy, always picks up the phone if he is there. Sure you can get bad ones but its all trial and error. I think dentists are more money grabbing ****ers than solicitors. Everytime I go into one it costs me money, there's always something that has to be done. :mad:

The problem with professionals is there is no independent review system. its a pain in the ass to jump from one to another trying to find a good one. It would be good to have a site where you can get recommendations on who is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The problem with professionals is there is no independent review system. its a pain in the ass to jump from one to another trying to find a good one. It would be good to have a site where you can get recommendations on who is good.
    Like a lot of things in life, a lot of this boils down to reasonable expectations and managing them. In the same way that a Solicitor shouldn't promise that something will be done in a weeks time when he knows it won't, his client shouldn't expect that something will be done in week 'because it's only filling out a few shaggin' forms'.

Unfortunately in a lot of situations where solicitors are involved, it's not necessarily YOUR solicitor who's the problem. It could as easy be the other side dragging their heels. Or the other side's client who's a pain in the hole and causing the 'other' solicitor to not give a toss.

Best bet for picking a solicitor is based upon personal recommendation. And in all your dealings with a solicitor, don't ring him. He'll be *ahem* with a client. Or...um...out at court. Or something. As sure as eggs is eggs he probably won't talk to you; not because he's rude, but chances are if he doesn't have your file in front of you, he can't tell you shag all, bar what comes off the top of his head.

And you're paying for more than that...

references to him and he include her and she. Your solicitor might pick up the phone. Other terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Never had any time for them and even less respect.
    Last house I bought, my own solicitor was fine but the other party's was just awful.
    I mentioned his general laziness and lack of attention to detail to my own solicitor.

"oh that's just him. It's his way" she said will a wry little smile, as if to excuse him.

Well that lazy fat-a$$ cost me money by not returning files on time and being generally useless.
    For most solicitors, if they were to return every phone call within their client's preferred timeframe, they would get no work done

*That* just doesn't cut it. Clients ARE the work. Ignore clients so you can do you're work? Ridiculous. Can you ignore customer's queueing to pay in your shop so you can make sure the shelves are stacked????

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sleipnir wrote:

*That* just doesn't cut it. Clients ARE the work. Ignore clients so you can do you're work? Ridiculous. Can you ignore customer's queueing to pay in your shop so you can make sure the shelves are stacked????

No the *work* is the work. Clients are the people who need it done (usually yesterday) and need to call persistantly to find out if its done yet. I'm sure I could whip up a diagram if you're really stuck.Your comparison with a shop is idiotic. I've had one client this week for example rings me 5/6 times in one day to find out if contracts have come in. I took the first and last call only. I could tell he was disappointed when I (politely) told him I couldn't ring the other solicitor perhaps 150 times until his client signed up. Now multiply such clients by 50 and you get an idea of what a busy solicitor has to deal with in any given day. Most solicitors spend more time answering phonecalls (some often pointless) from clients than doing actual work. I can get more done in 3 hours on a saturday then any day during the week. Do you think your solicitors just lounge around their offices all day counting money, avoiding clients for the crack of it, playing golf or maybe enjoying a nice nap? Does anyone here actually *know* a solicitor? Ask them what their day is like. You people make me laugh. If you want instant results, be prepared to pay (through your nasal cavity) for it. If you're still not satisified, do the work your bloody self. Not a good plan by the way, I know someone who tried a similar approach once with surgery.

I wonder what some of you whining muppets do for a living. Guaranteed, we could have a crack off your professions quite easily and make some retarded generalisations. Unless you're all in I.T. I don't know enough about what that actually is to make even a specific comment. You people are kept away from the public for a reason and have personal hygiene problems.

Maximilian wrote:
    You people make me laugh. If you want instant results, be prepared to pay (through your nasal cavity) for it. If you're still not satisified, do the work your bloody self. Not a good plan by the way, I know someone who tried a similar approach once with surgery.

I wonder what some of you whining muppets do for a living. Guaranteed, we could have a crack off your professions quite easily and make some retarded generalisations. Unless you're all in I.T. I don't know enough about what that actually is to make even a specific comment. You people are kept away from the public for a reason and have personal hygiene problems.

Nope not everyone is whining, they are giving opinions from personal dealings. Personally I'm actually very happy with my solicitor as I stated. If thats your response to peoples comments thank the lord you don't represent me.

Does someone need a hug..... :D

Yes, a hug would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

That will be €600. Thank you.

Thats slander

€600 will be fine. I charge €20,000 for providing hug-object services. Invoice in the email.

Oh, and slander is verbal, as opposed to libel which is written. Both of which are defamation.

Maximilian wrote:
    €600 will be fine. I charge €20,000 for providing hug-object services. Invoice in the email.

Oh, and slander is verbal, as opposed to libel which is written. Both of which are defamation.

Thats solictors prices alright...

• Advertisement

Correct me if i am wrong, but do most solictors not charge for every call they take, therefore racking up a nice bit of cash?

Seriously, I am sure you are very good, does it not make sense to train up your secretary to answer the dumb **** questions? Can you not have a system like act where you can type in the case status, so anyone in the office can check it?

It seems to me the main issue is communication, as client do not like being blanked. Your secretary telling them there is no update yet, is surely better than hearing nothing.

Now i know some people demand to talk to you, so can you not rebrand the secretaries? Case Assitants perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seriously, I am sure you are very good, does it not make sense to train up your secretary to answer the dumb **** questions? Can you not have a system like act where you can type in the case status, so anyone in the office can check it?
    Alot of people will have a problem with "anyone" seeing "their" case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Correct me if i am wrong, but do most solictors not charge for every call they take, therefore racking up a nice bit of cash?

It seems to me the main issue is communication, as client do not like being blanked. Your secretary telling them there is no update yet, is surely better than hearing nothing.

Now i know some people demand to talk to you, so can you not rebrand the secretaries? Case Assitants perhaps?
    There is software available that allows one to keep track of correspondence sent out (it links into MS word) but unfortunately, such software tends not to be as good when it comes to keeping track of correspondence coming IN.

Thus, Joe Punter rings for an update, and the incoming stuff isn't as readily availble, which'll tend to form the bones of any 'update'.

Yeah, I know, you can scan in correspondence, but from what I've seen, whilst it's doable, it's time consuming, cos each individual letter has to be scanned and entered on your system. For smaller firms, the overhead of doing that (and basically taking one person at least half a day to get thru a decent days post) is something a lot aren't willing to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

I've only ever had to deal with a solicitor twice but the experiences left me with a very bitter attitude.

Both occasions were conveyancing jobs and both times were made worse by the sheer arrogance and condescension of the tosser I worked with.

He NEVER took my calls, NEVER returned them on the same day, sent me REALLY condescending emails only when I hassled him to death and actually BERATED my husband on the phone for having the audacity to challenge him!

I looked into making an official complaint against him but realised I hadn't kept enough evidence of his maltreatment, lack of communication etc plus I also got the impression that the complaints board for solicitors was run by solicitors!!

He was curt, unhelpful and really offputting.

He's now a city councillor - w**ker I say. :mad:

Advertisement