Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hear of or use Clearwire?

• 15-06-2005 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have you gotten it in the US or here in Ireland.

They don't seem to be set up here in Ireland yet.

What sort of pings are you getting, generally speaking, Non Line Of Sight wireless has very bad latency here in Ireland.

Also in the US I have heard that they have banned other VoIP companies from selling their services over their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

bk wrote:

Also in the US I have heard that they have banned other VoIP companies from selling their services over their network.

I suspect this would violate EU competition laws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

This may turn out to be a Ripwave that works .....but you have an empty network for now Smiaras so its early days .

1. Do you know their proposed pricing ?
    2. Can you use VoIP on it as in Skype ?
    3. Is it Nomadic or is it locked into one cell....say central Dublin only or Naas only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

Just gave the company a call and was talking to a person called Gavin. He took my address and reckons my area will be online in a couple of weeks (Killiney). If so he is going to send me out a box for a few weeks to try out the service. But when the product launches it will be a 1mb line for €39.99. He will be calling me back in 10 mins so i will ask him some more questions then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

A little birdie has told me they are on the same mast as IBB in Bray.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Licence Areas (there are some more in Leinster)

Athlone, Carlow, Clonmel, Drogheda,Dublin,
    Dundalk, Galway , Kilkenny, Mullingar, Naas,
    Navan Town, Newbridge, Waterford, Wexford

Kit (v. like Ripwave but physically a big bigger it does not require an antenna install )

http://www.nextnetwireless.com/products.asp

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I called them today and spoke to a really nice lady who told me all about it. Seems like an excelet service. It hasn't officially launched yet as their coverage is fairly limited, but they plan to have most of south Dublin covered by the end of september. I was very impressed with the fact that its non line of sight, so you are not limited to one place. You could even get a car adaptor and have wireless on the move, very cool. Prices are pretty competitive - I'm currently on a UTV trial and they are slightly cheaper and with higher caps. 10gb on the 1mb, and 20gb on the 2mb. She's getting back to me tomorrow on some questions so i'l post the answers then. She's sending me out a trial box for a month so I'l see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Zascar wrote:
    You could even get a car adaptor and have wireless on the move, very cool.

Hmm, Nomadic. Don't ComReg have an issue with that ?

.Brendan

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ComReg don't have beef with the unlicenced bands..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

ComReg don't have beef with the unlicenced bands..
    But Clearwire are a licensed 3.5 Ghz operator in Ireland
    .Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

This seems cool but if its only 1mb speeds i don know.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bminish wrote:
    Hmm, Nomadic. Don't ComReg have an issue with that ?
    That's beyond nomadic, that's mobile data. Whatever about ComReg, I'm sure the 3G operators will have a thing or two to say about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

ComReg surely never says/does anything unless somebody holds a gun to their head? Otherwise that would be like doing their job or something.

Anyways, interesting stuff this Clearwire. If it works.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Who cares what comreg thinks! This is really here, and we can get it! I'm sure they have done they're research. They are backed by www.clearire.com which is owned bt Craig McCaw who built one of the first cellular networks in the us (link) and is a bit player in WiMax...

Its not only 1mb ricey they have 2mb too. Aparantly they have the ability to go uo to 5mb but i've no idea if they will launch this. If Only..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

little birdie told me they will be using O2's masts for nationwide coverage ... eventually ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they have a bit of a bad reputation in the US for limiting the use of it to http traffic and blocking thngs like p2p, voip etc.

i won't be rushing out to sign up just yet.

i'm stil waiting for eircom to get their finger out so i can get the BT LLU business package.

no sign of it on my exchange yet, even though it was supposed to be out in may.

robbing ba$tards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

They are available in Swords village at the moment. They only have a range of 2km from the mast though, which is a big let down.

what happened to 10 miles? or km or whatever everyone was touting for wimax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Anyone know how much it'll cost?

The website says:
    "The Licensee shall make such a service available at a maximum tariff not exceeding €37.50 per month, excluding VAT but including all hidden charges, installation charge and equipment rental."

A bit vague for me - and it doesn't say anywhere that the modem is free, just no installation required (yeah - right :rolleyes: ) - wonder how much that bit of kit costs?

Also - only 1Mbps down and 256kbps with contention of 20:1 for the higher price of "not exceeding" €46+VAT is a little steep (although I do like "Unlimited data transmission") - hardly competitive with IBB (Breeze 2Mbps is only €40+VAT).

-RikD.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

vibe666 wrote:
    I suggest you read your own sig... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

vibe666 wrote:

Well the guy on the phone told me they only had a range of 2K which is a bit crap. So much for the dream of total coverage. I live about 7K away.

They seem to have 8 miles range in the US though.

Whats the point in putting it in a town with a range of 2Km which is already cobvered by wireless AND the exchange is enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Here is there price list. not very good if u ask me.

oscarBravo wrote:
    I suggest you read your own sig... ;)
    hehe, far too true! not so much magic these days though. ;)

Advertisement