Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen Touch

Options
  • 15-06-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

This is a little technical problem ive been having, and im not the most technically minded person.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago tried to put more music on my mp3 player. But when i plugged it into the computer, Windows Media Player (which i used all the time up to this) just froze. The device was detected and all, but nothing. I used task manager to end WMP and plugged out my mp3. After this i noticed the computer was running v slow, and on the performance tab in task manager i noticed CPU usage was at its max, even when i wasnt doing anything. So i restarted my computer, but found it hard to manipulate the Creative software to put more music on. Also, Nomad explorer doesnt detect the device when i plug it in.

My only course of action was the tried and trusted "uninstall and reinstall" the Creative software, but it didnt change anything. The player is playing fine and no problems until i try to put on more music

Any ideas what to do? Is it something got to do with the computer or player?
    (not sure if this is the right forum, the computers forum might be better)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wait did it freeze and still play a song but none of the buttons work that happened me with me creative zen 2 months ago called up customer care and the one told me 2 press the reset button did no good and so in the end returned it to amazon though im not 100% sure this was the fault of the mp3 player as i think i spilled red bull on it (still got my money back)

my advice call customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

ColHol wrote:
    I used task manager to end WMP and plugged out my mp3.
    Use this to see which process is eating up CPU. Have you recently installed any new programs/hardware/windows updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I can't imagine it being the player itself, since it still works with the Creative software.

Does WMP work when the Zen is not plugged in then? If so, the lag/hanging problem could be caused by a process relative to the Zen being connected. My first suspicion would be the Creative Mediasource Detector, which is hell of annoying and could be interfering with WMP.

Go to the Creative folder in the Start Menu, find Creative Mediasource and open Creative Mediasource Organizer. Go to the Tools Menu, select the Detector tab and un-check the "Enable Detector" check box. Apply settings and close the app, then try connecting the Zen again.

If it still freezes, next time before you connect it, hit CTRL + ALT + DEL on your keyboard, bring up the Windows Task Manager, go to "Processes" and check what's sucking up the CPU usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sorry bout the late reply! So it turns out that that box was unchecked anyway. Something called CTPdeSrv.exe is whats eating up the CPU, this turns up when i plug in the mp3. It seems this is conflicting with WMP, because when i end that WMP works fine but then the mp3 display stops showing "Docked".

Also, ive cracked another way to do it, by just dragging it into the NOMAD explorer so its not so bad, still cumbersome though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Taken from here.
    WMP10/Creative Driver Issue
    We have received user reports of Jukebox problems after installing Windows Media Player 10. Based on our research, we believe there is a bug in the interaction between some WMP10 components and Creative's device drivers. Because Notmad uses Creative's device drivers as well, this issue can affect Notmad. The problem manifests as system slowdowns or lockups, due to the CTPdeSrv.exe part of the Creative driver using up all CPU time. You may see this when opening Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer with your Jukebox connected. Although we cannot fix WMP10 or Creative's drivers directly, we have made some modifications to Notmad which should help reduce the likelihood of the problem manifesting. We also highly recommend Jukebox owners run a clean up operation on their Jukebox, as file system inconsistencies seem to trigger the problem more often. To do so, boot your Jukebox into rescue mode by pressing the pinhole reset button on the side while holding down the play/pause button. After booting into rescue mode, run the Clean Up procedure.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers/software from creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

ColHol - The Clean Up process may work as muckwarrior mentioned, though the suggestion does refer to the third party NotMad Explorer, which I'm guessing you don't have (not to be confused with Creative's bundled Nomad Explorer).

If that doesn't fix the problem though, try uninstalling the software again but this time, do it from Windows Safe Mode and use the Add/Remove Programs module in the Control Panel - don't uninstall from the link within the Creative subfolder.

Once you've done this, check your C: drive and look under Program Files -> Creative -> Jukebox 3 Drivers. You should have some files like CTPdUsb.sys... Delete the Jukebox 3 drivers.

If you tend to use WMP10 and you really have no use for the Creative Mediasource software, then don't install it. Do a custom installation from the CD and just install drivers and/or Nomad Explorer.

Advertisement