Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving point date? vs cao points date

• 16-06-2005 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

anyone know these dates...
    any particular reason why the date for cao is about a week after the leavin reults talk about suspense eh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

its all here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=kd

August 17th, CAO will be one week later afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

what happens if u don't get your course 5 points off
    then get them rechecked and get 10 points extra in October?

Does that mean whatever u get in AUgust is what u get and if u get them rechecked that, only next year willl u be able to reapply?

Its not clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

You can join late as far as I'm aware...

God I hope I'm not 5 points off - though I have a feeling I will be; that's what happened in the mocks :|...

5 points off in the mock? U will be grand. How many points do u need?

Some lad in our school got a D1,
    when they rechecked it, the paper had A1 on the cover.

i'd rather be off a good 20 or 30 points off, cuz 5 would just be killer. Thinking of some slight mistake where if u just had of wrote down....
    That'd be the worst.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Does that mean whatever u get in AUgust is what u get and if u get them rechecked that, only next year willl u be able to reapply
    No, if your points are bumped up, they have to make you a place - it'd be really unfair otherwise, because the points you get in the rechecks are the points you should have got in the first place

LC results are 17th August I think, and CAO offers are the 22nd? The day before my birthday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Isn't it kind of crap though that after two years of this ****e it ends up that we get our results, (hopefully) get acceptances and have to make our choice all in one lousy week?? (assuming that nothing needs to be rechecked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Does that mean whatever u get in AUgust is what u get and if u get them rechecked that, only next year willl u be able to reapply?

Its not clear.

Its explained at the bottom of Page 19 in the CAO handbook

Danke Schoen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Here's a horror story for you:
    A girl in the year above me got a D1 in one of her exams last year, can't remember which, and she was really suprised and upset because it was her best subject and she'd been expecting an A1. So she went to look at her script and it turned out that part of it was missing, a whole section like. The exam commission consulted with her teacher, who vouched for her and showed her all her results and she ended up getting a much higher grade, not sure if it was an A1 but enough for her to get her course. I know things worked out in the end but talk about your nightmare scenario!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

how did a whole section just go missing? Did she forget to put in that tag thing to keep two booklets together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Fishie wrote:
    No, if your points are bumped up, they have to make you a place - it'd be really unfair otherwise, because the points you get in the rechecks are the points you should have got in the first place
    ive heard that over and over i dont think u get a 100% chance of getting in something like if the can they will or a place for the following year :| i no this happened to someone doing the LC same year as me went for med in UCC was around 575 got 570 rechecked up 10 and still didnt get in (went to UCD instead) might depend on those courses that have the * next to them (not all people were offered places ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Fishie wrote:
    how did a whole section just go missing? Did she forget to put in that tag thing to keep two booklets together?

No apparently it was in no way her fault, the exam people took full responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

In our school last year a simmaler thing happened.

A guys best subject was Business (got mostly A`s) and when the leaving results came out he got an E or something. So our Vice Principal (Colm O`Rourke, if your into gaelic at all you`ll know who he is) knew a guy at the place they store all the papers. It just happened that the paper was right beside the guy on the otherside of the phone. It actually had an A on the front cover but must have been read wrong. So he got it changed before CAO released its first round.

Fishie wrote:

Just speaking from what I've experienced in college, what happens is that each course is allocated a quota, and this quota helps dictate the point requirements for the course. In 1st year Engineering in Trinity, the quota is 175 (I think, tis about that). When I entered the course, there were 186 students in there.

I entered it in the first week or so in January, by the way. The points system has a margin of error in it...the quota will stay the same, but depending on what points they have set, they will let in either exactly more then the quota or more.

So if you get your points, they should find a place for you. But just as a note of warning, if anyone here is off by a certain number of points and gets it in the rechecks, follow the procedures within the CAO handbook. But it couldn't hurt contacting the SU from the college you should be entitled to attend.

/edit: just for clarity, I didn't enter Trinity late. I started out in a course I hated, and transferred late into Engineering. Once you get into a college, it can be seen as you having your foot in the door - instead of waiting for the CAO to come about again, you could transfer internally. Also, there are rare occasions of people transferring from UCD to Trinity and vice versa for Engineering, or something along those lines. Relax anyways, your LC is over or nearly is. You'll have a fantastic summer, and you'll worry about this come August. Right now, go out and enjoy yourselves, it's a ****ing beautiful day.

Advertisement