Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a few mechanical items...

Options
  • 16-06-2005 1:44am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've always found it next to impossible to get this kind of mechanical stuff in Ireland and ordering on the internet seems to require I buy 10,000 of anything when all i want is one...

I'm looking for:
    1) A threaded spacer of arbitrary diameter between say 3 mm- 10 mm
    2) A ball bearing with ID (inner diameter) the same as the spacer above and the OD (outer diameter) is once again arbitrary up to max of 20 mm.

Does anyone maybe have these pieces just like lying around - us engineers are well known for keeping anything that is remotely useful :p. Or does anyone know of a shop in Dublin where I can go in and buy these over the counter. Or obviously on the 'net is fine too if i only have to buy one or a small packet...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.radionics.ie have some overpriced materials click on mechanical on left hand of page, high quality so should be ok for prototyping, I take it you mean ball bearing race, IIRC RS should also have roller bearings too.
    Try a motor factors too, they may have larger versions of what you are looking for with different names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Said it before and will say it again ('cos I do that sometimes) I find radionics a complete pile of poo. Their range is pityfully small, their catalogue is about as organised as my sock drawer and EVERY time I go to their trade counter looking for more than one part at least one of the parts I'm looking for is out of stock.

They're quite friendly on the trade counter but that doesn't help when you're stuck.

Farnell (FEC/Farnell In-One or whatever they call themselves these days) don't have a trade counter and they don't do same day delivery, but their range is GARGANTUAN and you'll get it the day after pretty much without fail by UPS. Pay by credit card over the phone without needing an account.

It works.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks lads. I got the stuff from Radionics in the end. Spent more than I expected but sure at least I found what I wanted.
    Said it before and will say it again ('cos I do that sometimes) I find radionics a complete pile of poo. Their range is pityfully small, their catalogue is about as organised as my sock drawer and EVERY time I go to their trade counter looking for more than one part at least one of the parts I'm looking for is out of stock.

Yeh I thought their catalogue system on the internet was a bit a mess. In fact it led me to order the wrong thing, but it suits my purpose regardless.

Advertisement