Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games to Show off new PC?

Options
  • 16-06-2005 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Well I finally got my shiny new PC yesterday so having generally avoided PC games the last while because my computer was having a heart attack. So what are the best games around at the moment? I'm looking for something that actually puts my PC to use, there's obvious ones like far cry but I hate FPS's that aren't Unreal Tournament! Boiling Point sounds really really interesting and I'll probably be getting GTA:SA cos I loved the PS2 version, but neither of these really look amazing. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Far Cry is one of the best looking PC games (on max detail).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

steviec wrote:
    Well I finally got my shiny new PC yesterday so having generally avoided PC games the last while because my computer was having a heart attack. So what are the best games around at the moment? I'm looking for something that actually puts my PC to use, there's obvious ones like far cry but I hate FPS's that aren't Unreal Tournament! Boiling Point sounds really really interesting and I'll probably be getting GTA:SA cos I loved the PS2 version, but neither of these really look amazing. Any other suggestions?

Download the Batllefield 2 demo. If you have a nice pc the graphics are very impressive.

piloit6rs.jpg

Half Life 2 is the prettiest game if you ask moi, Doom 3 is also nice enough to look at...if you can see in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Heeeey...thats my screenshot tusky, and i didnt even get credit ;)

Yeah, for showing off your PC id recommend Doom3 (the ultimate graphic whores game), Max payne 2 is really gorgeous to look at on PC aswell (forget the crappy console versions) and half life 2 is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. (i know you said you dont liek FPS's but trust me, youll like HL2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

HL2 with the DX9 effects and a bit of hardware power is amazing. Doom3 aint bad either, but yeah, it's dark. Boiling point is buggy and chuggy, so I don't think it will show off your PC too much. Definitely a case of try before you buy there.

Interesting idea / story though.
    GTA:SA is great on PC... waiting for some nice mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

San Andreas should get a nice makeover from mods actually. I seem to remember GTA3 suddenly becoming unplayable on my old PC because of high detail mods that I got for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

rome total war on max settings with 8,000 units on screen is impressive :D
    but to just show off graphics cant go wrong with far cry, hl2, ut2k4 and doom3 even if u dont like fps's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone know what the best driving game to show off on a new PC would be?
    GP4 with all the mods and everything turned up looks very pretty but I'm looking for something else.....is the latest TOCA any good/pretty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

How about his , download 3dmark05 , its free. Run and post up your score then we might see far better than playing any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Rome Total War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Rome Total War is one to get actually. My old PC couldn't handle it at all and I like strategy games. I want Empire Earth 2 as well actually.... Gonna be an expensive trip to town this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I think Far Cry looks fantastic with all the swaying bushes and the lovley looking water. Really looks good.

I dunno about farcry now , it seems too cartoony after a while and loses its edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Ah, but the trees and water and all the rest of it looks quality, I was never really impressed with Doom, a little too dark and so forth, I much preferred the outdoor scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Far Cry
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Doom 3
    Half Life 2
    Battlefield Vietnam (not the greatest but its pretty and the scale is impressive on a good machine)

I think all the big hitters have been mentioned already....try Pacific Assault also, looks fantastic on top settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I know it mite sound sad, but out of all the games i have played on the pc, which would include most the new 1's, the game that eats the most out of any system is actually Fligh Sim 2004 @ full res and full detail. it totally eats your system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Solitaire, you can't mess with THE classic:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

gline wrote:
    I know it mite sound sad, but out of all the games i have played on the pc, which would include most the new 1's, the game that eats the most out of any system is actually Fligh Sim 2004 @ full res and full detail. it totally eats your system
    ****, I hate being out of touch with the interweb these days, is 'eats' the new 'pwns' or something:p

Ah , I dont know whats wrong with your pc but flight sim barely works our computer at all compared to the likes of half life or doom etc...

Ah , I dont know whats wrong with your pc but flight sim barely works our computer at all compared to the likes of half life or doom etc...

that @ 2048x1900 odd res with EVERYTHING up full???

gline wrote:
    that @ 2048x1900 odd res with EVERYTHING up full???

sorry thats 2048x1536 res

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Far Cry is a beautiful game. I'm telling you, you're playing the game and your supposed to be sneaking around and shooting guys the first chance you get. But you'll see something and think "oooh, that's nice......." then you get killed.

Yeah the detail would be full and antialiasing etc.. but running at that resolution is just idiotic considering the most that my moniter can support is 1856 by whatever and I would doubt yours can to any more so yopu are just wasting processing power on it.
    With regards to farcry , this pc plays it full detail and with anti t and a but I stand by the fact that the graphics are incredubly cartoony.

Advertisement