Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car park spaces in supermarkets

Options
  • 16-06-2005 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

annoy anyone else? :mad:

Yesterday I was parked at my local supermarket. Parked between the two white lines leaving good space each side of the other cars opposite me to discover that some b**tered left a nice big dint on the side door of my car either with a trolley or with their door. Its now going to cost me to fix it as it is only a new car. People just have no respect for anyone elses cars.
    (rant over)!!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Might be pointless, but is there CCTV on the car park? Maybe you could get a look at who did it and save yourself a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

do they have any kind of cctv in the car park? might be able to find out who did it. but the old chestnut "cars parked at owners risk" will more than likely prevail

edit: SNAP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Thats life, never park next to old cars, people who own old cars generally dont give a monkeys. also i look for newish cars that are dented, i never like parking next to these either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Yeah, it's unfortunately one of the risks of owning a car! And it's not just supermarkets.
    One tip is to try to park beside the boy racer car. They generally really look after their car and would never intentionally dent it.
    The answer is *not* to park across two parking spaces as someone said they did a few months back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

women, 4*4's and old cars. Never park beside them! Look for a nice clean expensive or modified car to park beside, try get the last parking spot on the line or isolated spot and leave a bigger space than normal. Thats what I try to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Checked with tescos and they said that they cctv cameras were not working yesterday (what a coincidence). I had a farily new merc parked beside me on the side that did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do what i do.. either park far away where there are no cars... or fine an edge space and park right over giving loads of space... You are less likely to get hit..
    Sorry to be sexist here but women do not give a Rats ass about banging the car door against another car.. I see it every time i am in a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was in a supermarket car park the other day and saw a man getting other of his car by swinging his car door opened and hitting the car next to his. No respect at all, he didnt look like he give a damn either.

This is becoming a big trend, people want to start to cop themselves on. If you threw a rock through somebodies house window, you can bet the gardas would be called.

When it comes to parking in park cars i tend to park a bit away where it is not crowded, a short walk wont kill me any time soon. But if i caught someone doing that i my car i made make sure tehy wouldnt any legs to stand on, am sorry am a motor head and have a great interest in all things with four wheels.

try one of these dent places shouldnt cost more than 150, thing is ur car shouldnt have got dented if it had the rubbing strips, although many modern cars dont have these eg yaris, can i ask what car it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Its an 04 (red) Audi A4 and it was on the back right hand side of the door. I could see the dint the minute i walked up to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

Once I was sitting in my car in a dunnes car park and the lady who owned the car next to me came back to her car and without a thought opened her car door and smashed it into mine, she didnt realise i was sitting in my car because of the tints! B*tch!! I got out anyways and gave out to her doubt shell be swinging her doors open again in a hurry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

sandyg wrote:
    Checked with tescos and they said that they cctv cameras were not working yesterday (what a coincidence). I had a farily new merc parked beside me on the side that did the damage.

CCTV not working in Tesco? This one should be on the conspiracy theories forum.
    Anway, it was obviously the supermarket manager. Did you carry Superquinn bags into the store? They hate that.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Simple solution - don't park near other cars. Park away from every thing else - no trollies, no people who can't park, no people swinging doors open, no hassle getting in and out of space when some one parks too close to you. Just walk that exta 50 meters, it will do you good!

sounds like kids got into back seat, probably a woman with a pram or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

lomb wrote:
    try one of these dent places shouldnt cost more than 150, thing is ur car shouldnt have got dented if it had the rubbing strips, although many modern cars dont have these eg yaris, can i ask what car it is?
    Even if it had rubbing strips, they are often useless against other car doors. They help with low walls or pillars.
    Speaking of which, I just realised one of mine has a very deep gash in it. Do people generally replace these things once they have served their purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i once saw somone pulling into a car parking space and bumping into the car in front. the guy got out and walked away. well needless to say i got out after him and called him back. i made him go into the store and get the car owner paged. i wasnt his favourite person. when u park your car if you feel like the person beside u is to close then take a photo with ur mobile of there car and reg plate or write it down. when u come out if there car is gone and ur car is damaged then report them. say u were walking out and u seen them but couldnt get to them in time to tell them as they raced off!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

park at the furthest point from the supermarket door.. I find that women not only don't give 2 f**ks about banging their car door against yours but they are also allergic to walking so they try and get the nearest spot to the supermarket door. my 2 cents :-\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

jayo99 wrote:
    park at the furthest point from the supermarket door.. I find that women not only don't give 2 f**ks about banging their car door against yours but they are also allergic to walking so they try and get the nearest spot to the supermarket door. my 2 cents :-\

only problem with this is that learner drivers normally park furthest from the door as that is where there are more spaces and easy for them to park. u also have to be careful here!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

think the boy racer suggestion is the best one so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Lads, learner drivers are the ones who are probably more careful when parking.
    I got a massive dent behind the passenger door and was sitting in the car at the time when person parked beside me done it. The guy was obviously a busness man and the car he was in was a brand new one at the time, must have been a copany car as he obviously didn't give a ****e.
    He drove off and I chased him by foot through the carpark till he stopped at the next set of lights where I caught up with him. Brazingly he denied doing it saying for all he knew the damage was already there ! So I stood infront of him, noted down his insurance details and told him I'd go through his insurance company. Quick as a flash out came the wallet where we came to a mutual compensation amount which paid off the weekend I was away on at the time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Also look out for van drivers... was sitting in my car once in a car park. White van beside me, plenty of room of course but 2 guys get in (big guys) the passenger opens the door, slams it against my door.. looks at me waves his hand in apology but thinks nothing more of it. I mean this was not a tap it was a whack and it shook the car. I think there was only a slight mark when i checked it. I debated slaming my door into his but at the end of the day it was the passenger of the van and there was 2 of them. Thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had my car about 2 weeks before some dickhead dented my driver door. Left a nice amount of blue paint on it too (my car is red). Unfortunately the asshole was gone before I got back to my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I had someone push the front wing of my car right in near the edge where it meets the door in the Pavilions SC car park. There was a 4x4 parked on that side of me when I parked the car. I was even less pleased by the fact that I had just gotten the wing resprayed to remove a large patch of rust! Pulled it out with a crowbar, then someone in work did exactly the same thing to the same wing a couple of weeks later.

Most people are cnuts! :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

tabatha wrote:
    when u park your car if you feel like the person beside u is to close then take a photo with ur mobile of there car and reg plate or write it down. when u come out if there car is gone and ur car is damaged then report them. say u were walking out and u seen them but couldnt get to them in time to tell them as they raced off!! :D
    Did this recently after driving around the Blanch centre for ages looking for a spot. The only space i could find was beside an MPV with two car seats and with nearly every panal dented. I wasn't looking forward to coming back, so i took a picture just in case.

Car.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats right about what that lad said about women getting in and out of cars, they dont seem to care about the car beside them and they are the ones that are always telling us men about there comprehension of place.

And there's another thing that i have noticed lately as well about women drivers....they are always talking on mobile phones and driving. I do alot of miles every year (15-20K) so am on the road a good bit and i have to say that women are greater offenders of the mobile phones than us lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Yeah i noticed that about the fones too.
    I think its because most bloke conversations on the fone last 5mins max, whereas a woman will be on the fone for fookin ages. Then they get on the radio saying how great drivers they are. :rolleyes:

The worst is the woman on the fone driving at 40mph and wont allow the tailback to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Just to go against the flow...spent a good 30 mins this morning stuck behind a fat balding businessMAN in an audi estate who had a tailback of approx 15 cars behind him while he drove at 45kph (and most times slower) in an 80kph zone through the countryroads of Newcastle/Celbridge while he conducted an animated conversation with his mobile glued to his ear and totally obstructed the flow of traffic. I happened to be 3 cars back and couldnt overtake him thanks to the dimwit immediately behind him in a Fiat Ciquenquento (sp??) who would have been unable to have overtaken a milkfloat :(

Was not impressed :mad: and in my experience the big businessmen are just as bad when it comes to being on mobiles and driving like prats!!

As for a bad parking story, worst I ever came across was waiting for someone in the car park of the AIB in tallaght which has very tight parking paces anyway, this HUGE lady came sidling up and parked literally about 4 inches away from the passenger side of my car, it would have been literally impossible for her to exit the car without hiting mine so did a quick reverse outta there before she could inflict any damage on it, hate to think what would have happened had I not been in the car :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

samo wrote:
    As for a bad parking story, worst I ever came across was waiting for someone in the car park of the AIB in tallaght which has very tight parking paces anyway, this HUGE lady came sidling up and parked literally about 4 inches away from the passenger side of my car, it would have been literally impossible for her to exit the car without hiting mine so did a quick reverse outta there before she could inflict any damage on it, hate to think what would have happened had I not been in the car :eek:
    Would have been a good way to get her phone number... Rrrrrrrrr!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Would have been a good way to get her phone number... Rrrrrrrrr!

:D

If your into 60yr old chubby ladies then yes :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

delly wrote:
    Did this recently after driving around the Blanch centre for ages looking for a spot. The only space i could find was beside an MPV with two car seats and with nearly every panal dented. I wasn't looking forward to coming back, so i took a picture just in case.
    Good idea about the photo but i would never have parked in that spot
    1) The MPV is parked crooked meaning that the driver is probably sloppy and clumsy. This crookedness also means that the MPV is physically closer to your car
    2) It's an MPV
    3) It's a Hyundai MPV
    4) It's a 02 car with you say dents in every panel
    5) It has child seats
    6) It has a Baby on Board sticker

Advertisement