Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can they get away with it?

Options
  • 16-06-2005 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

was just wondering. there are some romanian children near where i live. i have noticed that they dont go to school. they havent gone in at least 2 years. there are two girls about 11 and 12. i noticed when i was in town on saturday that they were begging on grafton street. i do see them getting the bus into town most mornings and i was wondering where they were going. how can this be happening? how can there parents let them? they come to this country to get a better life apparently and yet they send theit young children off to town everyday begging. is this not against the law and can anything be done about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you know thier address report them to the socail workers at your local
    health and family clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Yes it is against the law, but unfortunatley they may have slipped through the system and are not registered in any school. If the parents are claiming child benefit they will be in the system, but otherwise probably not.

You can also try and contact the National Education Welfare Board
    National Headquarters
    16 – 22 Green Street,
    Dublin 7
    Tel: 01 873 8700
    Fax: 01 873 8799
    Email: info@newb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just one thing, are they actually Romanian or are they Roma gypsies? They are two different groups of people (although you can get Roma gypsies born in Romania).

Romanians are people from Romania, similar in many traditional ways as Hungarians or Czechs. Roma gypsies are a transient group who appear to originate in Eastern Europe. They have their own traditions and language. The women generally wear long flowing dresses and headscarves. Members of this group are often seen begging or stealing around the country. Although I'm sure there are Roma who don't behave like this.

I know quite a few Romanians who get pissed off at been tarred with the same brush as the Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Just my tuppence. there are a few gypsies living near me and one of the young guys, about 12, was out playing and i asked him why wasnt he in school today. He replied by saying that it was too far away and that his dad was in work so he couldnt bring him. FFS the school he was talking about was only 15 mins walk. I dont see why they dont send their kids to school. It baffles me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

iguana wrote:
    Just one thing, are they actually Romanian or are they Roma gypsies? They are two different groups of people (although you can get Roma gypsies born in Romania).

Romanians are people from Romania, similar in many traditional ways as Hungarians or Czechs. Roma gypsies are a transient group who appear to originate in Eastern Europe. They have their own traditions and language. The women generally wear long flowing dresses and headscarves. Members of this group are often seen begging or stealing around the country. Although I'm sure there are Roma who don't behave like this.

I know quite a few Romanians who get pissed off at been tarred with the same brush as the Roma.

From my understanding /knowledge,the Roma are for Romanians what are Travellers for Irish !

No love,no hate...just go ahead with it...

Advertisement