Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Exclusive" Pics in The Star

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Copyright infringement as far as I know, unless they paid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

from the guy who writes the "things my girlfriened and i have argued about" page.

Mail on sunday being w@nkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

they shouldnt be allowed to do it, unless they paid for them, but the tabloids would try anything. nice research btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm sure you'd have a case if you own the photos ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

They're allowed publish them if they're not copyrighted or if they are copyrighted and they have the owners permission. They can say they're "Exclusive" to them if no other paper has them.

You work it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, from a look at the site's homepage it looks like we shouldn't have to wait too long to find out.
    NEWS - 16 June 2005

The Daily Star Pictures
    Just to let you all know that thepeoplesflag did not give permission to The Daily Star to print the pictures of the Irish team celebrating after the Faroes match. These pictures were sent to us in good faith. The Daily Star were never in contact with us about publishing the pictures and thepeoplesflag certainly did not receive any money in relation to these pictures. We have been in contact with the The Daily Star newdesk this morning and are currently awaiting a response.

We are also seeking legal advice on the matter and intend to follow through with this until a satisfactory outcome is obtained.

Karl

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

This is probably going to be an on-going problem, the internet is so big that papers like the Star are going to poach stuff and try and get away with it, I'm sure many items have been ripped off before, just tucked away in the middle somewhere and overlooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

flogen wrote:
    This is probably going to be an on-going problem, the internet is so big that papers like the Star are going to poach stuff and try and get away with it, I'm sure many items have been ripped off before, just tucked away in the middle somewhere and overlooked

I've experience with this, a number of years ago some video I took was liberally lifted by most of the tabloids. The star memoriable appeared to just take screen grabs from a tv broadcast and were of a dubious quality.

The easiest way around it, is to send them an invoice to their photo editor with the follow on threat of legal action. Unfortunately the only way to maintain villigance over repeated abuse, is to keep checking the paper. If I found a paper continously abusing the trust, the invoice amount was increased. Generally does the trick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mycroft wrote:
    I've experience with this, a number of years ago some video I took was liberally lifted by most of the tabloids. The star memoriable appeared to just take screen grabs from a tv broadcast and were of a dubious quality.

The easiest way around it, is to send them an invoice to their photo editor with the follow on threat of legal action. Unfortunately the only way to maintain villigance over repeated abuse, is to keep checking the paper. If I found a paper continously abusing the trust, the invoice amount was increased. Generally does the trick.

without wanting to get too much personal info from you (!!), did it work? Was there any messing about from the papers (such as detailed in the Mil Millington piece above?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

flogen wrote:
    without wanting to get too much personal info from you (!!), did it work? Was there any messing about from the papers (such as detailed in the Mil Millington piece above?)

Depended on the paper, The "Irish" editon English tabloids, which are assembled out of dublin could be described as astonishingly indifferent, and nigh on impossible to get a hold of, but it's amazing what the words "repeated and flagranted abuse of copyright", "repeated requested ignored, and treated with rank indifference" and "immediate legal action forthwith" will have, if after your first two attempts, you skip the picture desk and fire off a missive to legal affairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement